• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

Shredderi

Which is why I said I called people out in a state of anger. Im over that and want to know what people think would be best to prevent this. Perhaps we could analyze the situation from what we know to come up with a possible way to prevent this in studios and other environments.

Although a large factor here appears to be the lack of unions.

I mean, teach people to be respectful instead of assholes, or at the very least teach people that acting out said asshole behaviour WILL have real consequences for them. The way it is now is that everyone is getting away with it. Well, seemingly everyone at least.

Trup1aya

I understand that HR exists to protect the company. I just don't understand how they come to the conclusion that stuffing skeletons in their closet is the best thing long term.

Obviously, every company should help the victims in these incidents, because it's the right thing to do. But it's also the thing that makes the most business sense.

At my company, one of the ethics concepts ingrained in us from day one, is the "news headline" test: pretend the decision you are about to make is going to end up on the front page of the news. Would you be ashamed? If so, it's probably wrong AND will harm the company in the long term.

Compsiox

Banned
I mean, teach people to be respectful instead of assholes, or at the very least teach people that acting out said asshole behaviour WILL have real consequences for them. The way it is now is that everyone is getting away with it. Well, seemingly everyone at least.

Definitely this. Would they be fired immediately following a thorough investigation (if guilty)? Or something of that sort?

How would we be sure that a thorough investigation takes place if so?

KageMaru

Fucking disgusting. I'm happy that people are speaking out, these people need to be exposed and pay for what they've done.

Really sick of Sony for trying to cover this up too.

HR was one of the areas I was looking at getting into now I've graduated, but family members have repeatedly told me that "you'll just there to serve your line manager, you won't actually get to help people". Guess they were right

labaronx

I think most publishers have cushy relationships with certain individuals from time to time but there should be a limit here, besides they may come under scrutiny if they choose to pretend this has not happened.

The problem isnt making a statement the problem is who knows what and when? Sony has switched so many people around at wws, anybody who was there that knew anything could be gone now? Or they never new, how much access to the lower employees have to executives?

Did yoshida know anything?
Did adam boyes know anything?
Did druckmann or staley know anything?
What about evan wells?

Did upper management have a clue about any of this or was this solely on sony HR. The issue is disgusting but also complicated?

The problem isnt making a statement the problem is who knows what and when? Sony has switched so many people around at wws, anybody who was there that knew anything could be gone now? Or they never new, how much access to the lower employees have to executives?

What about evan wells?

Did upper management have a clue about any of this or was this solely on sony HR. The issue is disgusting but also complicated?

All good questions but I think you can still maybe recognise the situation in a video and give s view on the info available. It would be best to wait and see how ND/Sony respond before making a vid.

Harlequin

Definitely this. Would they be fired immediately following a thorough investigation (if guilty)? Or something of that sort?

How would we be sure that a thorough investigation takes place if so?

The real problem will be cases where there are no witnesses/no evidence of any kind and it's just they said, they said. Best case scenario there will be if you can somehow reassign one or both of the people involved in a way that a) doesn't feel like a punishment/demotion or promotion to anyone and b) keeps them out of each other's way. But that's probably not going to be possible in all cases.

What about evan wells?

Yeah these things are very complicated when it comes to large corporations. People painting all of Sony/ND should probably wait until more info comes out? Otherwise, the people that should be called disgusting are HR and whoever the harasser was.

Compsiox

Banned
The real problem will be cases where there are no witnesses/no evidence of any kind and it's just they said, they said. Best case scenario there will be if you can somehow reassign one or both of the people involved in a way that a) doesn't feel like a punishment/demotion or promotion to anyone and b) keeps them out of each other's way. But that's probably not going to be possible in all cases.
Yeah true. In a studio environment theyre only working on a few projects so it would possibly be difficult if not impossible to move people. In a large office it could be easier to move people around though.

Maybe we could have cameras that record audio throughout the workplace? Keep anywhere but the bathroom from being secluded.

And if they decide to harrass digitally there will be solid evidence. So it could work.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
sbFU51d.jpg

"Y'know what Ellie? We really are the NaughtyDogs."

Its the term for a person you used to look up to revealing themselves to be vile/stupid.

Modern version of "Broken Pedestal" basically.

I prefer broken pedestal. Milk Shake Duck sounds like some kind of modern day blowjob technique instead.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Well I feel bad for this guy. Seriously fucked situation. Also can't imagine the courage it takes to come forward with this experience. This culture needs to change.

My first thought was that he was harassed by a male, just because this is the kind of shit that men do. Doesn't matter the sex though, it really shouldn't distract from the clear abuse of power and failure of HR to make things right.

But really, men are terrible. Saying this as a man who has plenty of reasons to loathe himself. Still just as shocking and sickening to read some of the accounts of male victims from female perpetrators.

jelly

What is a milkshake duck?! Very strange term; don't understand what it is getting at.

Yes, please. Ive been seeing this everywhere here and what the fuck does it mean?

People you look up to, quite like turn out to be scum of the earth with qualities such as racism, sexism etc.

It does let them off the hook somewhat so probably not a great term, call them what they are.

Yes, please. Ive been seeing this everywhere here and what the fuck does it mean?

It's a hypothetical where a duck drinks milkshake and becomes an Internet sensation, as would obviously be the case given the nature of the Internet. Then that same duck after getting its fame and fortune has the skeletons in its closet exposed, usually racist/sexist awful stuff like the one here.

On topic, I'm not happy about this at all. As a PS4 owner I have absolutely no intention to invest in that ecosystem until this is further extrapolated and then the perpetrators get what's coming to them.

This is serious stuff.

PeterGAF

Banned
HR was one of the areas I was looking at getting into now I've graduated, but family members have repeatedly told me that "you'll just there to serve your line manager, you won't actually get to help people". Guess they were right
I mean you can still go into HR and do the right thing. Someone’s gotta be the good one why not you?

Ascenion

Yeah these things are very complicated when it comes to large corporations. People painting all of Sony/ND should probably wait until more info comes out? Otherwise, the people that should be called disgusting are HR and whoever the harasser was.

I doubt very seriously PlayStation as a division has it’s own HR, so it’s not too much of a reach to blame Sony, if it is a company wide HR dept. since that means this shit has happened else where in the company. If PlayStation has it’s own HR, they still likely look to Sony HR proper for guidance which again...leads to Sony corporate culture.

If you’re curious as to how high it went in ND, just ask yourself how many employees ND has and how close knit the team is, you’ll find your answer there. My division in my company is only about 180 people. I can’t name them all but I can definitely tell you who’s been with who, who’s got a record, who lost their kids etc. People gossip.

watdaeff4

What about evan wells?

Again from experience the head of HR knew as well as every person in the chain of command that person reports to (depending how their leadership is organized)

Don't go to HR, go to your lawyer.
This so much

Rmagnus

Banned
Im not defending the agressor. The problem is a woman doing this against a man im my state/city is almost Impossible.

I work with civil law (im a lawyer) and I see cases like this all the time, but the victim is always a woman or homosexual situation.

Never seen a case of a woman investing against a man to the point of touching his genitalia.

You are a lawyer and still so naive?

Based on what?

Their 2 decade long history of near constant crunch and poor work / life balance isnt enough for some people.

ND make amazing games but they are right up near the top as far as AAA "work em' till they burn out" mentality.

Not shocked if some other shit is going on too but I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of that goes on elsewhere. Like...you hear stories about some people at some other well known studios and I just wonder how the hell regular people can cope. AAA space is kinda still fucked. Even with the few studios that are still around today.

Have spent two hours reading every response in this thread, and I'm really disappointed in Naughty Dog and particularly Sony. That said, this is undoubtedly the tip of the iceberg. The incident concerning UploadVR early this year disgusted me, but made me aware that this is probably happening (in less explicit terms) everywhere, in probably every industry.

Incredibly depressing. Respect to those in the thread that have had the courage and strength to speak up about their experiences, too. You folk are admirable and I wish nobody had to deal with the shit you have.

Top Bottom