• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

I often feel that Mario's running speed is a bit slow. I keep looking for the dash button then realizing there isn't one (except in the 2D sections).

seady

The photo mode in this game is amazing.

I never care for taking screenshot in game. But this game couple with its 'travel' theme, along with its incredibly quick/easy and varsatile ways of tuning photos - work super well to current lifestyle of mobile phone photography (snapshots, selfie, social media etc).

TheMoon

I did say without picture spoilers.

Really though, Wario unlocking a Wario outfit which makes Mario look like Wario really doesn't need a "picture spoiler" to produce an image in your head that will be exactly what it actually turns out to be. :) Nothing's being spoiled that the sheer name of the amiibo doesn't already spoil.

Fbh

Loving it so far. I'll agree in that I would have liked the platforming to be a bit more challenging but aside from that it controls really well and the level design is fantastic. It made me realize it has been a long time since I played a game like this with so many secrets and things to do in every area. While the areas are smaller I'd say that the sense of exploration is maybe even better than Breath of the Wild. Where in breath of the Wild 90% of what you find were shrines, here it feels like there is always something fun, different and creative around the corner, which is awesome.

Just finished the Wood/flowers level. Loved taking over the enemies with the long legs. I was also legit surprised to find the lower woods. I was pretty sure I had screwed up and was going to die.

Anyone else having issues with the upward throw action? It almost never works for me.

To be honest the only motion inputs that are reliable to me are the ones that require you to shake the controllers. The more specific ones like the upward throw or the ones where the hat does a circle around you work like one out of every 4 times I try to do them

Bakkus

You can't get it yet. Lots of moons require revisits after beating the game.

Thanks a lot for this information. Some of these moons were driving me mad. Does the same go for some of those purple bits currencies? Because i'm missing 3 of those in this world.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Loving it so far. I'll agree in that I would have liked the platforming to be a bit more challenging but aside from that it controls really well and the level design is fantastic. It made me realize it has been a long time since I played a game like this with so many secrets and things to do in every area. While the areas are smaller I'd say that the sense of exploration is maybe even better than Breath of the Wild. Where in breath of the Wild 90% of what you find were shrines, here it feels like there is always something fun, different and creative around the corner, which is awesome.

Just finished the Wood/flowers level. Loved taking over the enemies with the long legs. I was also legit surprised to find the lower woods. I was pretty sure I had screwed up and was going to die.

To be honest the only motion inputs that are reliable to me are the ones that require you to shake the controllers. The more specific ones like the upward throw or the ones where the hat does a circle around you work like one out of every 4 times I try to do them

If you are using the Pro Controller try to move the controller slightly to the (right) left before giving it a stronger shake in the opposite direction... the cappy circle attack is quite repeatable that way (I guess the anticipation in the opposite direction helps the sensor to distinguish this action from other ones).

Really though, Wario unlocking a Wario outfit which makes Mario look like Wario really doesn't need a "picture spoiler" to produce an image in your head that will be exactly what it actually turns out to be. :) Nothing's being spoiled that the sheer name of the amiibo doesn't already spoil.

I've always found spoilers to be in the eye of the beholder.

Going to finish up the Wooded Kingdom today. By far my favorite kingdom yet. Not just because it’s designed so well, but the captures are incredibly fun to use. If future kingdoms surpass this, Odyssey will be an all-time classic for me.

jmartoine

Just finished the story. That entire final kingdom was excellent and I really enjoyed the Boswer fight. Now into the postgame!

Matesamo

What a great game, every level is just packed with things to discover and there are so many moments of pure joy to be had. The end of New Donk City had me smiling from ear to ear, a great moment and just one of many this game provides.

vall03

Uh, what am I doing wrong with fishing? I'm dropping the line, waiting for the fish but they're not biting. There's this short vibration and after a while, the silhouette of the fish just disappears and nothing happens. Are there other triggers here? Is this just luck and the fish just won't bite? I've been at the lake for almost 30 minutes now and I really can't catch anything.

Uh, what am I doing wrong with fishing? I'm dropping the line, waiting for the fish but they're not biting. There's this short vibration and after a while, the silhouette of the fish just disappears and nothing happens. Are there other triggers here? Is this just luck and the fish just won't bite? I've been at the lake for almost 30 minutes now and I really can't catch anything.

Press Y when you feel a strong vibration. If it’s a bigger fish shake the joy-cons like a madman.

vall03

Press Y when you feel a strong vibration. If it’s a bigger fish shake the joy-cons like a madman.

This is the problem, I'm not getting any strong vibration. Just some several, short and weak vibrations and afterwards, nothing. Is there supposed to be a prompt to reel in the fish? Because I'm not getting one either.

• Some "Plot" Moonshines and Bosses can be skipped. For example, the Tostarena, Lake and Wooded Kingdome ones.
  • After watching a cutscene for the 1st time, the game won't ask if you want to skip it the next time.
  • Picking a Moonshine or passing a flagpoint refills Mario's health and whatever power up/possesion he has at the moment. For example, the water spitting squids.
  • When Mario hits a cactus thurns stick to his nose for more than 1 minute. If he enters any cutscene the thurns are still displayed on the character model.
    [*]Rolling in sand or snow makes Mario cloths get dirty.
  • The match 3 game in Tostarena can easily be won by throwing Cappy from the side instead of doing it 3 times from the front.
  • First time in Tostarena the environment is chilly making Mario shiver when not moving. After the ice is melted the idle animation is replaced by the hot place one.
  • In the jumping rope mini game Mario can keep jumping after the first Moonshine appears, so you save jumps until the next one, since they stack up.
  • *Needs confirmation: i think the diving suit makes Mario swim slighty faster.
  • Since the diving mask doesn't have a top Cappy eyes are overlayed occasionaly over the mask.
  • After answering the first Sphinx question, is possible to instantly prompt the 6 question seuqence to get a Moonshine. This surprised me since some of the questions are tyed to level changing events.
  • To have the equipped outfit be reflected on the Retro 8 Bit sections is necessary for Mario to have the complete set, else it defaults to Mario's classic one.
  • Cars in New Donk stop infront of Mario and respect changing lights.[ And also work as moving trampolines.
  • If you stun a Pirhana plant and then throw Cappy at it is possible to posses them.
  • The Thoad like coin things from past games can be possesed. They spit coins that make as much damage as tank fire. Downside is that it consumes cuarency from Mario's purse.
  • Smoke or Goo stock to Mario is instantly removed when jumping on water.
  • Moonshine shrads collected remain in memory until exiting a level. So you can get other Moonshines or go to different sections of the level and they remain collected.
    [*]Shards can also be collected by tossing the hat to instead of toching them directly.
    [*]During the fight with the fat lady and pet chomp. Possessing the chomp and shaking the Joycon makes it move faster. Useful to get into sling position quicker.

ionitron

So there's a
ghost
in New Donk City and I'm not crazy, right?

There's a guy in the park with the jumpropes (I think?) that disappears as you get closer. Just want to confirm if you can get a moon out of it (don't tell me how) or if its just a little spook for the lols.

So there's a
ghost
in New Donk City and I'm not crazy, right?

There's a guy in the park with the jumpropes (I think?) that disappears as you get closer. Just want to confirm if you can get a moon out of it (don't tell me how) or if its just a little spook for the lols.

might this be the same mechanic as the female goombas?

I haven't had a chance to play much yet but I love taking control of the little Easter Island head guys. They're so much fun to run around as!

Krakatoa

One thing I wish they patch is the transparency. When things are blocking Mario, instead of it being clear, it looks like some Nintendo 64 transparency where it shows lines and is not totalllt transparent. It’s tivial though, and may have had to be done to keep 60fps.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I struggled with this too. But it's easier than you think.
They simply follow the direction your stick is facing.

In my opinion that makes it way too hard to control. Stick with one way of controlling it, don't change it mid while. Could not complete that run with the Missiles in the underground water area on the desert zone. My brain could just not get used to the controls...

Haunted

Is it true that motion controls open up some moves that cannot be done with regular controls?

That's kinda crazy if true.

Recreat3

In my opinion that makes it way too hard to control. Stick with one way of controlling it, don't change it mid while. Could not complete that run with the Missiles in the underground water area on the desert zone. My brain could just not get used to the controls...

Its crazy how you can be turning to the right and then you go to turn left but the camera changes and you keep going right. My brain also was struggling until i fluled it through. Prob the most frustrating bit of the game for me, so far.

Also going from xbox to switch controls is so confusing. Muscle memory can be a pita.

PMS341

Game is a blast to play. Beat New Donk last night.

I've been exclusively playing with the Joycons, but I've noticed there are moments where my Joycons stop responding, or I'll keep walking in the same direction to my death. Lag, almost, but seemingly a connection issue. I have a Pro Controller, but I like how the motion works with the Joycons.

Game is a blast to play. Beat New Donk last night.

I've been exclusively playing with the Joycons, but I've noticed there are moments where my Joycons stop responding, or I'll keep walking in the same direction to my death. Lag, almost, but seemingly a connection issue. I have a Pro Controller, but I like how the motion works with the Joycons.

I'm having the exact same joycon issues, which reminds me of the complaints people have had with them since the switch launched, though I don't recall ever having this much of a problem with other games.

Casanova

This ia true. There are things you can't do with a normal controller.

You can still do most, if not all, motion controls with a pro controller I believe. I've been using the pro controller and I'm able to do spin-hat moves, throwing the hat up and down, etc.

Fbh

If you are using the Pro Controller try to move the controller slightly to the (right) left before giving it a stronger shake in the opposite direction... the cappy circle attack is quite repeatable that way (I guess the anticipation in the opposite direction helps the sensor to distinguish this action from other ones).

I'm using the Joycons.

Have tried making the motion strongly and softly but either way it almost never works.

You can still do most, if not all, motion controls with a pro controller I believe. I've been using the pro controller and I'm able to do spin-hat moves, throwing the hat up and down, etc.

If there are certain restrictions based on controller used, they’re nowhere nearly as egregious as 3D World’s GamePad-only courses.

The gameplay itself was ok but I found it all very basic and lacking in any challenge. It was very rare that I 'died' and often I found that death was a result of me either struggling with the camera or struggling with the waggle controls.

There's pretty much no use in the waggle part if you don't want to. I have 550 moons and has never used them outside of just trying them once. All useful moves are possible to do with the buttons and analog stick.

One small and trivial thong I am loving os thw costumes.

I look at ALL thosw Amiibo I have and U wish they would make a costume for everyone not only the select few.

Edit: Also, I wish this game got an expansion DLC called Wario Odyssey where Wario in his Smash costume rides his bike around the Odyssey kingdoms slighty altered for his play style.

Just realized you can move while holding the ledge faster by shaking the JCs.
That's mostly how motion work in this game, as an "intensity modifier". It's a really natural and easy input to remenber instead of an extra button to keep track of.

Is it true that motion controls open up some moves that cannot be done with regular controls?

That's kinda crazy if true.
Why would it be crazy if it works with the control that comes with the system and with the recomended control method Nintendo has been suggesting?

In any case most of the motion actions are completly optional to get shines and most of them can be replicated with button and stick combos.

I'm using the Joycons.

Have tried making the motion strongly and softly but either way it almost never works.

Circling hat? Works like SPin Attacking in Skyward sword. Move/shake both joycons side to side quickly. To give an idea hold both joycons infront of you and quickly shake them horizontally (don't twist your wrists) from left to right and back quickly.

Believe me once you find the correct gesture it' ll work fine 100% of the time, you just need to experiment a bit.

Keihart

Not sure if this is what you're talking about: https://kotaku.com/how-to-jump-really-really-far-in-super-mario-odyssey-1819922521

I've been practicing it and it's a little tricky to perfectly pull off. I can do all the steps consistently but don't always land on the hat after the dive.

you can do one extra jump after bouncing in the hat if you time it well and then throw your hat again for some extra air time and dive again, you can't bounce twice on the hat as far as i know.

This combo is my favorite move, been doing it since i started playing the game, you can mix and match for extra height or distance or even turning corners.

aEku

to the people what say its too easy, sure if you go as fast as you can to the end of the main story. but you can go back and try to go for 100%. after a stage is beaten there come more challenges.. and there are pretty hard challenges.

entremet

Gonna be very curious how speedruns start looking for this game. Sunshine speedruns are rather crazy and this is better Sunshine basically--sans hub world.

tassletine

I loved 3D World. I consider it to be perfect balance between 2D and 3D Mario, but I'm a bit disappointed with Odyssey so far.

I'm only about halfway through but this is far too easy, with obvious (but not that hard) difficulty spikes, which makes the gameplay frustrating rather than fun. Each level segment seems to have one real challenge, whilst the rest of the segment builds up to that, so when you die it's actually quite boring traversing your previous route.

It's a good game but it doesn't have the usual Mario pace and feels muddled, despite the great ideas it has on display. I think the 10/10's this has been getting are down to the fact that the news story right now is that Nintendo are knocking it out of the park, whilst years ago the story was that Nintendo were failing, so the games got lower review scores. Odyssey is not as good as the reviews say, whilst 3D world was actually better.

Some people see the constant innovation Nintendo display as a mark of quality, but here it feels more like panic. It's all very well coming up with lots and lots of ideas, but here I think for the first time in memory Nintendo have failed to bring those ideas together in a coherent manner. And by that I mean New Donk City -- I don't think I've seen such an ugly art style in quite a while; when I was playing Paulina's 2D end game I was literally thinking to myself "What the hell is this?". It just wasn't fun and only seemed to be there as some sort of retro nod to fans.

Although this games origins are clearly rooted in Sunshine, a game I loved, this feels much more mainstream, dare I say it, more like a Ubisoft game with it's constant, easy fetch quests that are just there so you can buy some trinkets.

I really wished I liked it more. I'm going to play through to the end though as 3D world didn't really get going until midway either.

jmartoine

How many moons can you buy per level? On Cap Kingdom I just bought 31, just wondering if there was a finite amount per level and if so what it was.

VDenter

Banned
Just beat the game and it blows everything i played this year away and it is by far the best Mario game ever made. Nintendo finally made up for the disappointment that was Super Mario 3D World.

PMS341

I'm having the exact same joycon issues, which reminds me of the complaints people have had with them since the switch launched, though I don't recall ever having this much of a problem with other games.

I went ahead and made sure the controllers were updated, but haven't had much time to extensively test this. I need to sit down with it and figure out if this is a warranty issue.

Side note, anyone else spending hours in Photo Mode? Literally every game should have this. It was my favorite feature of Uncharted, The Last of Us, Infamous, etc. over on PS4, and I'm just begging for it to be in future games/patched into games like BotW. Just a few:

ARKAgag.jpg
S2c0xAC.jpg

rMzwbgi.jpg
FbSmUbC.jpg

saltyramen

for all of you bitching that it’s too easy - finish the game first. the entire first playthrough is essentially a prologue

JonnyKong

How many moons can you buy per level? On Cap Kingdom I just bought 31, just wondering if there was a finite amount per level and if so what it was.

Apparantly it is endless the amount you can buy, I think it's for those who want to rank up their moon count faster. I ain't wasting my coins on them anymore.

Bakkus

Thanks a lot for this information. Some of these moons were driving me mad. Does the same go for some of those purple bits currencies? Because i'm missing 3 of those in this world.

Didn't get any answer to this. Anyone know?

Top Bottom