• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheech

Salmonax said:
I'm sure I could deal with it, just like I was able to tolerate all the junk in the 2004 DVDs I bought. I guess I just decided there's only so far these can get from the real films before I'm finally done. It's cool if others don't care as much.

The only change I never liked was the Greedo thing. Well, it's fixed.

And you know what? The new Ben noise that scares the sandpeople away actually sounds cool cranked up in DTS surround.

NekoFever

JetBlackPanda said:
I still cant wrap my head around people that are ok with HDTV fan edits but official releases are off limits.

Bizarre.
The HDTV fan edit that most people are talking about is a faithful recreation of the old version. I'm just as much against 'improved' fan edits as I am what Lucas is doing; more so really, because he at least has the right to tinker with them.

Cheech said:
lol wut

mattp

NekoFever said:
The HDTV fan edit that most people are talking about is a faithful recreation of the old version. I'm just as much against 'improved' fan edits as I am what Lucas is doing; more so really, because he at least has the right to tinker with them.
yeah, this
fan edits are pretty dumb, but this one isn't really a fan edit to change stuff. it's just putting the original cut back together

Salmonax

Cheech said:
My understanding is that it's improved, but that now they basically shoot at the same time. Putting aside the change to Han's character, it's still crazy to me that Greedo could possibly miss from two feet away. And Han apparently still does that bizarre CG dodge to the side.

Cheech said:
Nope, they fixed that. He doesn't move at all.
Still seems to move in this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdsNhjw9SQ

Haha... I haven't watched that in a while. It's funnier than I remember. Greedo shoots the fucking wall!

Cheech

levious said:
does han still do the stupid head dodge/stutter?

Nope, they fixed that. He doesn't move at all. The only real change is that they basically shoot at the same time. I'm satisfied with this fix.

I'm just as much against 'improved' fan edits as I am what Lucas is doing; more so really, because he at least has the right to tinker with them.

it's a recreation of the original cut as much as possible, we have just as much a right to that as we do to a version of the Mona Lisa that doesn't have Leo's smeared shit all over it

ultron87

Shooting at the same time is even dumber than having Greedo shoot first. If they are both shooting at the same time it leaves Han's character unchanged from the original version and just makes him incredibly lucky that Greedo is a worse shot than a Stormtrooper.

Cheech said:
Nope, they fixed that. He doesn't move at all. The only real change is that they basically shoot at the same time. I'm satisfied with this fix.
Other than a bounty hunter missing at such a short range right? At this point they should just go back to the original.

Cheech

Zabka said:
That's like putting glue in a cut and calling it fixed.

It looks good. Really. Obsessing over these trivial fixes is not healthy. Some of you guys remind me of the guys I was laughing about this AM, who were fishing through 50 copies of this thing to find one with "perfect" shrink wrap. It is borderline mental illness.

Shalashaska said:
Other than a bounty hunter missing at such a short range right? At this point they should just go back to the original.

Ugh. The way it plays out, they both shoot, and it looks like Han's bolt hit first and sends Greedo's off target.

If you're just watching the scene, and not obsessing about nonsense, it works.

Zabka

Cheech said:
It looks good. Really. Obsessing over these trivial fixes is not healthy. Some of you guys remind me of the guys I was laughing about this AM, who were fishing through 50 copies of this thing to find one with "perfect" shrink wrap. It is borderline mental illness.
Yeah I bet they're at home arguing about it on the internet right now! AHAHA THOSE NERDS!

holy shit you people are crazy, the Han-Greedo thing happens so fast now does it really even matter?

its much improved over the old version for sure.

Salmonax

Cheech said:
Relax with the ad hominems. It's enjoyable to discuss.

Cheech

Salmonax said:
Relax with the ad hominems. It's enjoyable to discuss.

To a point. But as I'm sitting here, working from home, with the ANH Blu Ray unspooling in front of my eyes, these complaints I am reading here have never seemed so petty. It just looks and sounds so damn good.

BFIB

My buddy showed up at my doorstep around an hour ago, with a surprise. He knows I'm a big Star Wars fan, and since I loaned him some money last year, he gave me the Complete Saga as a gift for helping him out.

We sit down to watch A New Hope....and the blu ray doesn't play. Tried it on my other Blu-Ray player, and it won't play either. So, he is going back to the store to exchange it out. Heads up for those that do buy it, make sure you check all the discs and that they play! I tried the rest, and Phantom Menace also would not start.

Cheech said:
To a point. But as I'm sitting here, working from home, with the ANH Blu Ray unspooling in front of my eyes, these complaints I am reading here have never seemed so petty. It just looks and sounds so damn good.
Well to be fair, I am slightly jealous I can't be watching them right now.

From Digital Bits review:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews091611.html
For those of you who hate the past changes (and the new BD changes), believe me I get it. Let me just say, it could be a LOT worse. Sources well-positioned to know have told me that Lucas actually seriously considered replacing the puppet Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi with the all-digital version, and even had tests conducted to see how it would look. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed. (For the record, I'm told that the digital Yoda just didn't look right or mesh well with the real, physical, practical Dagobah sets. Shocking, I know.) In any case, the films are what they are - changes and all - and now they're finally available on Blu-ray.

Zabka

Cheech said:
Transformers 2 looks and sounds great too. You should pick that up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
nemss said:
My buddy showed up at my doorstep around an hour ago, with a surprise. He knows I'm a big Star Wars fan, and since I loaned him some money last year, he gave me the Complete Saga as a gift for helping him out.

We sit down to watch A New Hope....and the blu ray doesn't play. Tried it on my other Blu-Ray player, and it won't play either. So, he is going back to the store to exchange it out. Heads up for those that do buy it, make sure you check all the discs and that they play! I tried the rest, and Phantom Menace also would not start.

Lucas redeemed?

Salmonax said:
I'm sure I could deal with it, just like I was able to tolerate all the junk in the 2004 DVDs I bought. I guess I just decided there's only so far these can get from the real films before I'm finally done. It's cool if others don't care as much.

This is *exactly* where I am. I know it's just a few more changes, but on top of all the others it's just become too much.

You watch, if he ever does release a blu-ray set with the originals, he'll leave out all the extras/documentaries/delete scenes.

Jin34

PhoncipleBone said:
Doesnt change the fact that the DVDs are shitty non anamorphic, edge enhanced to hell letterbox versions.

Just like the 2006 DVD? Yuck. Can't figure out why it's so hard for some to grasp that what some want is the original cut with the proper HD shine, it's like saying PC gamers ask for too much when they want ded servers.

For me it was the Vader nooooo that pushed me over and I can't give him my money, dude is just messing with people at this point.

Salmonax

The Lamonster said:
sweet! I've always wanted to see this.

You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm0EXWCQji8

The whole Holiday Special is on Google Video, if you're interested. I recently saw it for the first time - or as much as I could stand to sit through. It's among the worst things ever created. The first 40 minutes are creepy-looking Wookies grunting at each other. I never realized how lucky we got with the Ewoks.

Man I can't decide if I want to get this or not. Being a huge fan despite all the crap Lucas does, I grew up with this and I kinda want it. At the same time, I kinda feel like Lucas has finally gone too far with me with what he did at the end of RotJ. Then again, I think well only Jedi is ruined, the others are still ok. I'm just torn since I want it in nice 1080p. Despite all the changes in the past, this is really the first time that I've contemplated not picking up the release.

BFIB

Marty Chinn said:
Man I can't decide if I want to get this or not. Being a huge fan despite all the crap Lucas does, I grew up with this and I kinda want it. At the same time, I kinda feel like Lucas has finally gone too far with me with what he did at the end of RotJ. Then again, I think well only Jedi is ruined, the others are still ok. I'm just torn since I want it in nice 1080p. Despite all the changes in the past, this is really the first time that I've contemplated not picking up the release.

Thats the thing about Star Wars. When I went to the theaters to see the Special Edition, I was already telling myself I was going to hate it, until I sat down. As soon as I saw the opening shot of A New Hope, I was instantly drawn back in.

The DVD release, I felt the same way. Reading about the changes, I tried to resist buying. And I ended up buying them anyway. Sure, seeing Sebastian Shaw replaced by Hayden Christensen was tough to see, but the rest of the magic was still there.

Now this set, I was adamant on not buying, but a friend gifted me the saga set. I will admit, this is Star Wars as it should be heard. The sound is flat out incredible. The picture is great. I still hate the changes done to this release more than the rest (R2 behind the rocks, Obi-Wan's Krypt Dragon scream just sounds ridiculous), but when you get to the other parts, you do get sucked right back in.

In the end, don't feel bad if you buy the set. Its Star Wars.

brianmcdoogle said:
Anyone who buys the blurays is a bad person and not a Star Wars fan.
haha this is basically a summary of the thread.

I bought it today but I'm actually an awesome person and a huge fan of Star Wars!

nemss said:
Thats the thing about Star Wars. When I went to the theaters to see the Special Edition, I was already telling myself I was going to hate it, until I sat down. As soon as I saw the opening shot of A New Hope, I was instantly drawn back in.

The DVD release, I felt the same way. Reading about the changes, I tried to resist buying. And I ended up buying them anyway. Sure, seeing Sebastian Shaw replaced by Hayden Christensen was tough to see, but the rest of the magic was still there.

Now this set, I was adamant on not buying, but a friend gifted me the saga set. I will admit, this is Star Wars as it should be heard. The sound is flat out incredible. The picture is great. I still hate the changes done to this release more than the rest (R2 behind the rocks, Obi-Wan's Krypt Dragon scream just sounds ridiculous), but when you get to the other parts, you do get sucked right back in.

In the end, don't feel bad if you buy the set. Its Star Wars.

Wow! You mean it is possible to disagree with some of the changes and STILL be a Star Wars fan and enjoy the BD release? Who would have thought!

Salmonax

It seems plausible that Lucas would want Yoda to look consistently as cartoony as he does in the PT across all the movies. It really doesn't make sense that he turns from a cartoon into a physical being in the fifth movie, unless you explain it away as some kind of Jedi trick.

Pie Lord

A question for those of you who've picked up the collection so far. Have the issues with lightsaber coloring been corrected? I know they were still incorrect in the leaked copies, but the reviews I've read so far seem to indicated it's been fixed, and I honestly don't know what to believe.

Jin34

Pie Lord said:
A question for those of you who've picked up the collection so far. Have the issues with lightsaber coloring been corrected? I know they were still incorrect in the leaked copies, but the reviews I've read so far seem to indicated it's been fixed, and I honestly don't know what to believe.

Mostly fixed I believe, still a few errors but nowhere near as much.

From digitalbits:

For one thing, many of the worst color-timing issues of the DVDs have been fixed - not all of them to be sure and not completely, but at least to the point where they're not so egregious. Some of the inconsistencies of the lightsaber coloring have been adjusted too. More of the obvious "garbage" mattes have been removed. Most of the Snow Speeder cockpits in Empire are less see-through. Visual errors large and small in all of the original trilogy films have been corrected. To be fair, there are still flaws in these transfers due to the fact that they're nearly a decade old and were made at such low resolution. These include occasional edge halos, crushed blacks and somewhat oversaturated colors.

Morn

Banned
Jin34 said:
LOL go over to digital bits and call Bill Hunt a liar then.

He's not a liar, but his sources were. What they were talking about WAS SHOWN ON THE EPISODE 2 DVD.

Before they did the CG Yoda they did tests with a CG TPM Yoda and a CG ESB Yoda and showed both to George. It's on the second disc of the Episode 2 DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom