• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to only buy the OT from Amazon. I just can't enjoy the prequel trilogy enough to justify the extra cost. Felt good sending the message to Lucas too. :p

Those of you who bought the entire package are only feeding that old man's insanity!

Medalion

Banned
BruiserBear said:
I decided to only buy the OT from Amazon. I just can't enjoy the prequel trilogy enough to justify the extra cost. Felt good sending the message to Lucas too. :p

Those of you who bought the entire package are only feeding that old man's insanity!
The fact you even bought half the package, you are still half the problem as much as us :p

ryan-ts

BruiserBear said:

I only bought the OT as well. Sucks to miss out on some of the features from the complete collection but spending another 40 dollars isn't worth it for me.

Medalion

Banned
Holy shit, young Padme's skin is DNR'ed to hell and back, her face is so smooth, are we sure she wasn't replaced with a CG Portman?

JetBlackPanda said:
The launch price is a pretty good deal too.

6 movies for $80 = $13 a disk and that does not include the special features.

I can get it for 35 (25 Target Gift Card + 20 Rebate Gift Card). I'm really torn, especially since the restorations av quality aren't even top tier, but I do love the original movies (and enjoyed 2 and 3) and would love extras. I mean beyond Greedo (which now isnt as bad) and that weird shit in Jabba's palace in ROTJ (and well ending), it's mostly CGI upgrades (some good some some not).

Ah fuck. At least in my defense I never brought the movies on VHS or DVD before (my family always had it taped off some pay cable channel) so it's not a double dip. Though I am pissed the set doesn't have Empire of Dreams (WTF?)

JB1981 said:
I think Revenge of the Sith looks quite sharp. OT is so-so. Nothing like the Alien/Aliens/Blade Runner restorations.
That's what annoy's me the most. It's not impossible to restore the movies to an even better level than now!

Morn

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
That's what annoy's me the most. It's not impossible to restore the movies to an even better level than now!

They could restore the OT to a higher resolution master, but not the PT. Well, they could but it'd be costly and take a long time. Ep2 and Ep3 were shot digitally on video at 1080p. That's the maximum resolution possible for those two. To do a higher res restoration, they'd need to re-render all of the effects.

Morn said:
They could restore the OT to a higher resolution master, but not the PT. Well, they could but it'd be costly and take a long time. Ep2 and Ep3 were shot digitally on video at 1080p. That's the maximum resolution possible for those two. To do a higher res restoration, they'd need to re-render all of the effects.

I'd be fine with just the OT.

That said, Lucas really only shot them with a mex res of 1080p? I know HD cameras were new at the time, but really that's the max res he shot at?

Jin34

That said, Lucas really only shot them with a mex res of 1080p? I know HD cameras were new at the time, but really that's the max res he shot at?

Yeah digital cams weren't ready for prime time yet.

Also no one is said to see that crappy puppet from ep 1 gone. Hell CG Yoda is probably the best acted character in the prequels.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I think AOTC was shot at 1440x1080, so not even 1080p on that.

I'm admittedly not a fan of the changes and I saw some screen caps that looked like suspect PQ, but I finally just came to my senses and realized that for the most part, it's a nice set at a decent price, and we're not going to get another Blu-Ray release for many years. So I bought the set.

JB1981

The Outsider said:
I'm admittedly not a fan of the changes and I saw some screen caps that looked like suspect PQ, but I finally just came to my senses and realized that for the most part, it's a nice set at a decent price, and we're not going to get another Blu-Ray release for many years. So I bought the set.
I'm very close to buying them myself lol

Medalion

Banned
I wanna say something about these Star wars commentaries, not just in this, but all of them... are some of the most impersonal, cold, technicality driven commentaries ever... literal cut and paste snippets of things, not a natural flow of a commentary of a guy watching this from beginning to end like a journey watching the movie together. Much like the feel of the prequels in general.

ryan-ts

Medalion said:
I wanna say something about these Star wars commentaries, not just in this, but all of them... are some of the most impersonal, cold, technicality driven commentaries ever... literal cut and paste snippets of things, not a natural flow of a commentary of a guy watching this from beginning to end like a journey watching the movie together. Much like the feel of the prequels in general.

Yeah I just finished watching A New Hope and moved onto the commentary with George Lucas. It's exactly as you describe, not much fun at all.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Anyone playing these in their PS3? Someone started a thread a bit ago saying they could not get the Blu-Rays to play in their PS3.

Mr. Sam

ryan-ts said:
Yeah I just finished watching A New Hope and moved onto the commentary with George Lucas. It's exactly as you describe, not much fun at all.
"What the Hell!? That's not Darth Vader's ghost! Who put that in there!?"

ryan-ts

mre said:
Anyone playing these in their PS3? Someone started a thread a bit ago saying they could not get the Blu-Rays to play in their PS3.

I am, all I can confirm is that A New Hope works though.

Medalion

Banned
mre said:
I watched TPM and now am on AoTC and they are on the PS3, no troubles whatsoever

I have a first gen PS3 phat and have the latest firmware

Medalion

Banned
My biggest problem with some of the CG surfaces in the prequels is definetly the textures, they look so damned dated, even back then when I saw em for the first time, I like the color and lighting but the textures, god

After spending nearly four hours on some of the special features, I have to say the complete saga has been worth it for me. A great collection for Star Wars fans. Sure, I wish George would keep his hands off the merchandise, but this is worth the money IMO.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mine are on the way from Amazon. Waited this long. Can wait until next Wednesday. Gonna be all Jar Jar all the time up in here.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sapiens said:
Wow - this thread really did that 180 from protest to acceptance that only Star Wars fans are capable of.
It was inevitable. Handing bills to Lucas. Complaining the whole time.

Medalion

Banned
As has been said before, George Lucas is the abusive boyfriend and we're the battered girlfriend/wife and come back for more depsite in our hearts we should leave

Zabka

Sapiens said:
Wow - this thread really did that 180 from protest to acceptance that only Star Wars fans are capable of.
I ACCEPT NOTHING!

1zwkb47.jpg

Never forget

This thread just had an influx of people who were not involved in earlier discussions.

Ridley327 said:
IIRC, that was the highest resolution that the digital cameras of the time could do.

Then why did he use them? I mean it was clearly inferior to film. This isn't an example of the tech being advanced past film. I mean this is from the guy who founded ILM.

Zabka said:
This thread just had an influx of people who were not involved in earlier discussions.

Not true, though I have always been wavering between being annoyed and just accepting it. That said a true fan has all versions around. ;)

ReBurn

Gold Member
Then why did he use them? I mean it was clearly inferior to film. This isn't an example of the tech being advanced past film. I mean this is from the guy who founded ILM.
Didn't he go digital so that post-production would be easier?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

in case you haven't noticed, Lucas can be stubborn.

Medalion

Banned
Digital is easier

It was not so much the fact he wanted to film with "hd" cameras, it was the switch to digital.. and the fact the cameras were supposedly HD was a coincidence

ReBurn

Gold Member
I recall that being talked about on the Jason X DVD. lol Still even they scanned the film in first. I mean I guess it removes one layer of conversion, but how hard was that really?
In some of the special features he said he could see the shots the same day.

Medalion said:
Digital is easier

It was not so much the fact he wanted to film with "hd" cameras, it was the switch to digital.. and the fact the cameras were supposedly HD was a coincidence

The trade off though doesn't make sense. I mean I could see it being that way for a TV show, but for a blockbuster movie, it just doesn't make any sense.

ReBurn said:
In some of the special features he said he could see the shots the same day.
That's nothing new, dallies have always allowed it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Digital cameras allowed him to sit in a chair and watch monitors while drinking coffee.

Zabka

Not true, though I have always been wavering between being annoyed and just accepting it. That said a true fan has all versions around. ;)
I think most of us can agree that "True fans" who buy everything with Star Wars stamped on it are the biggest suckers of them all.

I'm only a fan of the original movies. And the PC flight sims. And Jedi Knight. And the 2d Clone Wars cartoons.

But those are either free or old, so I haven't actually paid for anything since I got the Non-Special Editions on DVD.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Not buying until there's a complete set with the OoT included. Watching a great homemade fan-edit set instead. I don't even mind half the Special Edition scenes in the OT, but the constant, stupid additions and fuck-ups mean that these movies get increasingly away from the movies I loved. Vader's new "Nooo!" sealed the deal for me.

Medalion

Banned
LestradeTGQ said:
Not buying until there's a complete set with the OoT included. Watching a great homemade fan-edit set instead. I don't even mind half the Special Edition scenes in the OT, but the constant, stupid additions and fuck-ups mean that these movies get increasingly away from the movies I loved. Vader's new "Nooo!" sealed the deal for me.
I don't see how including Zelda 64 to this release would enhance it :p

bill0527

Goddamnit....

I just read the digital bits review.

I've made half a dozen posts in this thread slamming the changes and swearing I can't support this. I supported the 1997 SE changes, and was not happy about it. I supported the 2004 DVD changes with my money, and was not happy about it.

I swore I would not support even further changes with this blu-ray set. Must..resist. I really want to hear the sound quality cuz I've got the setup for it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom