• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

I hate how microtransactions are used in retail games, but if handled properly with a F2P game, I feel it's like buying a booster pack for your favorite card game. Still, it's digital, so you really don't "own" it, and the controlled rarity numbers causes players more grief than it should, becuase they want a similar play experience which should be mandatory in the first place.

You can at least print AR cards you don't own?

There's something rather important happening in Japan right now, about the too extensive use of nearly "forced" and relying too much on chance micro-transaction in games (f2p, etc.)

Japan's Consumer Affairs Agency launched an investigation about the legality of complete gacha method (like gachapon small toys from distributors to collect) used in some games, that strongly entice players to buy many virtual items, with a lot of hazard factor, sometimes to combine them to have a rare object.

Giants in this business like Gree, DeNA, KLab, and others, were forced under this pressure from administration and the following crisis on the market (Gree's founder Tanaka lost 700 millions $ because of the drop in the market as a result of the concerns about sanctions and the illegality of this model) to decide stopping this sales method from 31 may.

We know Iwata declared recently that he is against this model and want the player to have the "full experience" from what he paid, without relying on some kind of randomness, betray the consumer in a sense by not giving him what he expected.

These japanese news are an additional guarantee that there won't be abuses of heavy micro-transactions, DLC and NFC tagged products depending on hazard from Nintendo.
Well, guess we know TF2 won't be coming to the Wii U any time soon...?

Darryl

Banned
These japanese news are an additional guarantee that there won't be abuses of heavy micro-transactions, DLC and NFC tagged products depending on hazard from Nintendo.

This is disappointing to me because I was looking forward to booster-style NFC DLC, as sad as that sounds.

BurntPork

Banned
I wonder if people are scared after the Rayman Legends leak. Maybe that's the reason we haven't seen any major leaks even with being so close to E3. NDA had to be strong before but I wonder if Nintendo brought the hammer down even more after that or if companies did themselves in order to preempt anything Nintendo could do to them.

I think that was orchestrated personally. The fact that it had the older version of the controller was way too convinient imo.

TunaMonster is the chicken little of Nintendo-GAF, I've never seen a post of his that wasn't "THE SKY IS FALLING!"

You forgot me? :(

I didn't say it was a shit insane monster console! I'm happy with the round of target specs I saw. I think they're impressive. It's right in line with the later reports of PC-esque architecture. The specs actually seemed pretty reasonable, and smart for Sony.

I'm happy to hear this. I want the industry to remain consumer friendly from a price perspective, and this generation floored me in how crazy high everything was pushed.

So it happened, Sony was brave enough to develop another shit insane monster console.

I think it would be more insane for Sony if they made it underpowered. Their audience obviously values high quality graphics. They need to meet those expectations. It's how they go about meeting those expectations that will change (customized PC parts instead of built from ground up).

Even though Sony as a whole is in the shit, and the PS3 isn't number one in NA, Sony still see it as one of their best things going. They won't hesitate to pour their resources into the games division. They certainly won't just mail it in and let Nintendo and MS take the low and high-end markets respectively.

Also remember that Sony engineer's outline for the future of Playstation. They're looking at a system which will see its life extended via peripherals (everything from haptics, to vitality sensors, to the ultimate dream of VR glasses). Another 10 year plan, if you will.

Next gen is shaping up to be interesting, indeed.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
This is disappointing to me because I was looking forward to booster-style NFC DLC, as sad as that sounds.

There aren't sanctions yet, those companies self-moderated themselves for the reasons brought up in my post. And it's really the abusive use of this model that is under investigation by both a council (made in part of some of these same societies employees) and the japanese consumer agency. Basically, if they are reasonable and not rely too much on hazard, they will be able to keep this kind of "addictive micro-transactions".

Eh, there were most assuredly more powerful 8-bit systems which make the NES an example - the Master System comes to mind. Better graphics (more than 3 colors per sprite, notably), but couldn't possibly hope to touch the NES in sales or brand recognition.

Yeah, that's why it was debatable. NES is the most powerful in some ways.

The SNES is probably a counter-example, though. Better audio and visuals than the Genesis (barring the larger Genesis resolution - 320x224 vs 256x224 - , but eh), and in the grand scheme of things, once the dust had settled over the 16-bit wars and everyone was diverting their attention to the 32-bit era, the SNES was ahead overall by a small margin.

That generation, the Neo Geo was the fastest console. It came out in North America around the same time as the SNES. That aside, the Genesis did have a cpu apparently twice as fast (based on a similar architecture, it looks like) as well as a second processor. Mind you, that info is from a brief look at wikipedia. But SNES definitely wasn't the most powerful, and the most powerful system certainly floundered.

Still, the rule holds for the other generations thereafter. PS1 was weaker than the N64 at 3D, but beat it, and was weaker than the Saturn at 2D, but HANDILY beat that. PS2 was weaker than the Xbox and debatably the GC, but beat both of those. The Wii is weaker than the PS3 and 360, but sold more than either overall. The Game Boy was weaker than the Game Gear, but most assuredly won that battle by several AA batteries. The DS was weaker than the PSP, but went on to be the best-selling console of all time.

In the handheld realm, the advantage of less computationally powerful systems in the marketplace is magnified by the fact that more oomphy systems eat battery life, and that's a priority. Well, it used to be…

I think it would be more insane for Sony if they made it underpowered. Their audience obviously values high quality graphics. They need to meet those expectations. It's how they go about meeting those expectations that will change (customized PC parts instead of built from ground up).

An audience that you cannot profit off is not a very reliable audience for a business.

Sony is still massively, massively in the hole after catering to this audience for this entire generation.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
FKtaU.gif

WHAT A TWIST!

Anth0ny

So Sony isn't going to release another $599 console? They've learned from PS3, PSP and Vita?

good shit. Are we talking on par with Wii U here?

I think Nintendo's thinking is "People will want the ports on Wii U because of the controller."

And I don't know how much this will help the ports sell. I don't know if the Wii U controller is enough to make ports sell.

I certainly hope that isn't what they are thinking. Putting faith into third parties to find clever uses for the controller to make multiplats/ports worth buying over the others is not the way to do business.

I would not be surprised if no more than 10% of the ports actually use the controller in an interesting way that truly sets it apart. Especially during the early years of the system.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As long as the difference between Wii U and PS4/Xbox3 is similar to the difference between PS2 and Xbox, i dont think we have to worry too much about 3rd party support. At least it wont be as ridiculous as the Wii and PS3/360.

HylianTom

Banned
I certainly hope that isn't what they are thinking. Putting faith into third parties to find clever uses for the controller to make multiplats/ports worth buying over the others is not the way to do business.

I would not be surprised if no more than 10% of the ports actually use the controller in an interesting way that truly sets it apart. Especially during the early years of the system.
And the thing is, I've grown to only expect big controller-related revelations/innovations/demonstrations from Nintendo. Regular, vanilla-controlled ports are better than nothing at all.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I didn't realize "the New Controller" was an actual term Nintendo was using at E3 2011 until I rewatched the video of Wii U stuff.

...there are a handful of games that could make great use of the tablet on a vertical setting... Shooters like Ikaruga or the recently announced Pinball game. The problem? There's no way to really control it using that method. Well, maybe with a stand and a Wii remote, but that's a pretty messy set up.

Actually, as long as a dev makes the controls completely configurable, playing a vertical shmup like Ikaruga is totally doable on the Upad and a potentially great future option for the streaming feature and a player wouldn't have to use a stand/wiimote at all. As an example, I have Capcom Classics Remixed for PSP and I always play 1941 and Varth with my PSP flipped in full TATE screen mode with movement on the Dpad reversed and fire and bomb/special mapped to different positions on the analog nub. It just takes a little bit of getting used to and works extremely well.

Using the same method on the Upad, you'd be using the left analog slider for movement and Dpad for firing, ect. and as long the controller is as light as people say, just like my PSP TATE example, it would be easy to adjust to. Again though, it depends on the dev because I also have Twinbee Portable collection and for some stupid reason Konami chose to allow TATE controls on the dpad but kept the firing options locked to the face buttons which is very uncomfortable and ruins it as a viable option.

And the thing is, I've grown to only expect big controller-related revelations/innovations/demonstrations from Nintendo. Regular, vanilla-controlled ports are better than nothing at all.

I am not saying Ports shouldn't be a focus of their business, but they shouldn't be relying on the controller to sell ports when the majority of them will likely do little that makes it become the definitive version. Would love to be proven wrong though.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It helps that it's a term Nintendo has used. I think it might specifically refer to the actual screen and not the controller as a whole, though.
Yeah, it's a good name for what you describe here. The entire controller is called the Wii U Remote.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just want devs to keep using the Wii remote + nunchuck.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
To Sony, a $500+ initial per-unit cost of reproduction is probably "not too expensive".

Can't they quite realize that their systems that dominated the market did so in part because they weren't amazingly expensive? PSX and PS2 both ceilinged* out at under $300. The most powerful system almost never wins the generation and usually in fact flounders badly. The only counterexample I can think of is the NES, and that's pretty debatable.

* my browser did not flag this as a misspelling. I was genuinely surprised.

Lol spelling, how does it work?

Edit: If Sony does this again I'll be waiting for a price drop. They can't afford to do bleeding edge again.

Motion + only pls.

No thanks, I prefer aiming with IR.

(edit: this was a jokey post, but I do consider IR a more useful feature than the advantage that the gyros add to general orientation detection on the Wii Remote, and it was a bit weird to see Nintendo try to use the latter for pointing after Sony started doing so with the Move)

nron10

Neo Member
Just to note, Nintendo also has booth 5244, which is immediately to the upper-right of the booth noted. (Although the site now labels it as "OFMR5244", if that really means anything. "Only Finnish Men Reach 5244"? "Our Finest Mario Release: 5244"? "We can't spell "FORM" 5244"?)

I'm not sure if this was brought up, but this is the exact same layout Nintendo had last year at E3. Their main booth had all the accessible demos, while the other one had sectioned off rooms for interviews/meetings/private demos.

We at Nintendo World Report got to linger there to interview a PR Manager. Not the most exciting interview...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What a disaster they had on their hands.

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised that video was shown looking back at it. I was following the Cafe rumors very closely, so I was in the know, but if I didn't really know too much about Project Cafe, I would have been so confused and I probably would have thought this was a new controller for Wii.

Nibel

I just want devs to keep using the Wii remote + nunchuck.

When some posters and me discussed RE4 Wii some pages ago, this instantly came to mind.

But Nintendo needs a big game which does this. Maybe a FPS in the same league as Halo.

I just hope that we will see that combo in the future.

HylianTom

Banned
When some posters and me discussed RE4 Wii some pages ago, this instantly came to mind.

But Nintendo needs a big game which does this. Maybe a FPS in the same league as Halo.

Who knows? Maybe the Wiimote will see some strange use in the next Zelda game? Or maybe both Wiimote and subscreen?

Effect

I think they just need to include a Wii remote and nunchuck set in the box to make it clear it's one of two control schemes for the system. That way everyone has access to it so the excuse that not everyone has it (never mind the millions of remotes already out there) can be used. Doesn't mean it has to be used for every game if it doesn't make sense. No need for waggle. However it's clear that pointer controls for shooters work and work very well. There is no reason not to have the option unless developers don't want touch the pointer vs dual analog issue and that pointer control is more accurate and does away with needing aim assist. Maybe it will upset them.

Who knows? Maybe the Wiimote will see some strange use in the next Zelda game? Or maybe both Wiimote and subscreen?

Hey, if "Resident Evil 4U" uses Wii Edition controls except that the briefcase puzzle game is always active on the New Controller and requires you to actually put down your gun physically to mess around with (and doesn't pause the game!), I will probably shamelessly buy it again for no real reason. :D

edit: also I sent you a message

I don't like the Wii version of RE4. I think having pointer controls takes almost all the challenge and defeats the point. Even Professional is a damn joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom