• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, specifically iPod touch guys, let's name some games that ran like crap or not at all that we want to check out or re-examine once we get a badass new Touch.

For me:
walking Dead
Dead Trigger, though I already love it.
TWEWY

Anyone else? We've kinda been the black sheep this past year, so surely I can't be the only one with a list like this.

To be honest, pretty much everything runs like crap on the iPod touch 4 save for Angry Birds or Tiny Wings. I ditched mine a year ago and went with an iPad for the past 8 or so months (before recently selling it). The A5 will make for a much, much better gaming experience on the 5th gen iPod touch.

Have there been any major "retina" games released for iPad 3rd gen other than:

Mass Effect Infiltrator
Skygamblers Air Supremecy
Real Racing 2
Infinity Blade II
Modern Combat 3

I have tried google searching for some bigger titles but the launch window titles always take the top 100 pages of google search results because every tech site on the internet posts the same article when apple launches stuff.

E624D44F-0E15-421C-A55A-F651765A0799-9208-000001EC9D68DCB4.jpg

Feels good, man.

WoolyNinja

E624D44F-0E15-421C-A55A-F651765A0799-9208-000001EC9D68DCB4.jpg

Feels good, man.

I'd finished Run Roo Run on iPhone and recently restarted it on the iPad now that its universal. Game is still one of the best on iOS. I played through all 20 levels (non-extreme) in one sitting and never felt bored even though I'd done it all before.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Hey Mario-want to help me one more time? :)

So I'm playing Tap Dragon Drop-and on Toothless-I have 3 stars on every level EXCEPT "The Great Storm" Level 12. You need to finish it in 12 moves...but I can't do it in less than 13. The problem is getting the 2 sheep in the upper left to fall down without dying...I can place the wooden plank down so they can land safely-but that uses up a turn-and I'm sure it's one turn too many...is there any other way to safely get those sheep to fall without dying...

I'll ask.

PittaGAF

Being more a 'story heavy' gamer type it really amazes me how much I'm still greatly enjoying Hunters 2.
Tonight contracts were awesome.

With Bastion and Kingdom Rush HD definitely my GOTY so far.

Can't really wait for Warhammer Quest, trying to keep the hype low.

beril

Gorgeous game, cool platform elements, and seems like it is something special. I can't get past the controls, though. Virtual joysticks are just too imprecise and horribly frustrating.

You can always wait for the 3DS release or the somewhat unlikely steam release

Gorgeous game, cool platform elements, and seems like it is something special. I can't get past the controls, though. Virtual joysticks are just too imprecise and horribly frustrating.

Odd, I played through it without a single issue. The game is available on Desura for Windows if you want to play it like that. I don't know if it has a controller option but something like Joy2Key would remedy that.

Fusebox

Banned

I have no problem playing GC with the virtuals, but with the iCade it's absolutely fantastic.

I finished NOVA3 this morning. Weird ending. A few good shoot-outs but overall the game was fairly underwhelming compared to the awesomeness of Modern Combat 3.

Still, good value for 99c, now I can focus on Bastion!

atre324

So, according to Godzi Lab's twitter feed, there's a Happy Street update coming Wednesday!

I'm really excited to see all the stuff they add. Currently I'm level 19, having recently built the Asian Restaurant/Dojo combo, which I think is the highest level one currently in the game.

I bought $5 worth of flooz a month or so again during the sale, and I almost didn't need to. I bought 100, then spent 90, now I'm back up to 150 lol

As for Flooz items... the Taxi STand is totally worth it. If you've got the room you should definitely place bus stops pretty liberally along your street, as they give you a nice boost every 5 minutes. Taxi stands are essentially the same, except you get a single rich person who buys a few hundred dollars worth of stuff. I placed the Taxi Stand between the Fortune Wheel and the Dungeon, to help them restock faster, which means faster flooz. It's also great when you get a fiesta and then trigger your taxi and all of your buses.

I'm torn on the Logging Camp, although I'm hoping it'll let me devote less space to trees in case the new update adds more buildings for the Forest/Mountain.

Anyone else buy any of the other premium items? The cowboy set would be nice but that's like 150 flooz lol.

PFD

Have there been any major "retina" games released for iPad 3rd gen other than:

Mass Effect Infiltrator
Skygamblers Air Supremecy
Real Racing 2
Infinity Blade II
Modern Combat 3

I have tried google searching for some bigger titles but the launch window titles always take the top 100 pages of google search results because every tech site on the internet posts the same article when apple launches stuff.

Are you looking for just 3D games? Cause there are plenty of gorgeous 2D games with retina graphics.

2D games:

Aquaria
Waking Mars
Kingdom Rush
Fieldrunners 2
Bastion (semi-retina, but still wonderful)
Wonderputt
Contre Jour
Osmos
Ski Safari
League of Evil 2
Amoebattle

3D games:

Riptide GP
Crazy Hedgy
Dead Trigger
Smash Cops
Anomaly Warzone HD
Blast a Way
Galaxy on Fire 2: HD
ShadowGun
Epoch
Horn
Max Payne (no really, it's sharp)

NolbertoS

How long before Square Enix puts Dragon Quest on the IOS store? I'm tired of playing the DQ clones and FF games at the moment. Anybody know good JRPG's in the store similar to Dragon Quest first person JRPG.

Ranger X

You can always wait for the 3DS release or the somewhat unlikely steam release

I almost feel down to have downloaded your game man. It looks good. It was on my wishlist since a while but I was still hesitating. Anyhow, I totally voted you on Greenlight. :/

How long before Square Enix puts Dragon Quest on the IOS store? I'm tired of playing the DQ clones and FF games at the moment. Anybody know good JRPG's in the store similar to Dragon Quest first person JRPG.

Why don't you just play Dragon Quest on other platforms? What's with this obsession over clones within the iOS community? oO

vareon

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD is 0.99, I'm tempted but I worry about its performance on my 1st gen iPad. Does anyone has any experience here?

iOS rocks? It's be convenient (and awesome) to have DQ with you everywhere

Ah, so you're the infamous Wario64.

Anyway, there's nothing convenient about virtual buttons, much easier to carry a ds with you on your briefcase, backpack whatever.

---------------------

Just tried Gunman Clive. An awesome game released on the wrong platform. Those virtual buttons completely ruin the game for me. Will surely double dip on steam or 3ds or come back to it whenever ipad gets controller support of some kind.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ah, so you're the infamous Wario64.

Anyway, there's nothing convenient about virtual buttons, much easier to carry a ds with you on your briefcase, backpack whatever.

Are you saying Dragon Quest is unplayable without buttons?

Carrying more than 1 device is never convenient

Exactly. The 3DS or Vita won't fit in my pockets and I'm not about to start carrying a bag with me just for the sake of a handheld that has very little I'm interested in to begin with.

But I guess it's fine for students or people in a city who get around by foot/bicyle/subway.

Are you saying Dragon Quest is unplayable without buttons?

No. I'm saying it's inferior. Also, there's the fact that there is no Dragon Quest for iOS. So you'd be playing a clone. That's double inferiority.

Also, not that I carry any device with me besides my iphone, but unless you go about your daily life without a briefcase or a backpack there's always room for one more device. And most people are usually carrying something.

Anyway, I don't really get this subject. Is life in the US that boring and comfortable that you need/want to carry games that "big" around with you wherever you go? This has got to be the ultimate first world problem, and quite frankly it's a bit sad. I understand having some games on the iPad or iOS that are good to play on the go for 4 or 5 minutes while you're in the subway or waiting in line or whatever, but meaty experiences like DQ are something you do at home unless you're commuting for upwards of an hour on a daily basis.

Did someone just say it's easier to carry a DS with you than a phone? The phone I already carry with me? Well then.

Yes, that's exactly what I said.
-.-

Sometimes I wonder if GAF is just playing dumb or if most people are that incapable of connecting the dots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom