• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

――今回、『ブレイブリーデフォルト プレイングブレージュ』が発表されましたが、3DS版の続編についてもおうかがいしたいのですが。
浅野 そうですね。まだ具体的なお話できる段階ではありませんが、準備を進めています。

――3DS版が発売されて約2週間。売り切れている店舗も多く、かなりいい評判を聞きます。浅野さんの手応えは、いかがですか?
浅野 これ以上ない手応えだと思います。ファンの方からツイッターなどで「作ってくれてありがとう」、「ぜひ、続編を作ってください」といった声もたくさんきていますので、とても励みになりますね。

――山中さんの中で、『ブレイングブレージュ』の将来の展望、どういうものにしたいといったイメージはありますか?
山中 いまのところは『ブレイブリーデフォルト』の名に恥じないブラウザゲームにしたいと思っていますが、将来的には海外展開をしたいですね。僕がずっとアジアに関わっていたので、今度はヨーロッパに持っていきたいです。

――3DS版の海外版は、以前、『ブレイブリーデフォルト』のオフィシャルツイッターで、「まだ考えていない」とツイートされていましたが。
浅野 そうですね。シナリオのあのおもしろさを維持したローカライズができるのか、それがまだうまい解決法が浮かばずに悩んでいます。

――では、『プレイングブレージュ』が先に海外に行って、それで熱が高まったら3DS版も……。
浅野 そういう流れができるといいですね。

Famitsu interview with Asano about the browser game here: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201210/26023356.html

Q. So, today you announced the 'Bravely Default Praying Brage' browser game, but I'd like to ask you about a sequel to the 3DS game, if that's alright?

Asano: Indeed, right. We're not yet at the stage where I can talk about anything specifically, but we are continuing preparations.

Q. It's been 2 weeks since the 3DS version's release. Many stores have sold out and the game is receiving high praise. What is your reaction to this, Mr. Asano?

Asano: I have no greater reaction than this. We have received many tweets on Twitter from fans saying 'Thank you for making this game,' and 'Please make a sequel' so that's very encouraging for us.

Q. Mr. Yamauchi, what kind of things do you hope for the future of Praying Brage? What would you like from it?

Yamauchi: At the moment I'd like to make a browser game that is worthy of the 'Bravely Default' name. However, I'd also like to release it in overseas markets. I've always been involved with Asia, but this time I'd like to take this game to Europe.

Q: So, regarding a foreign release of the 3DS game you previously said via the game's official twitter that you '[had] yet to think about it.'

Asano: Indeed, I did. I'm still considering a good method to create a localization that preserves the interesting parts of the original, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

Q. So you could localize the Bravely Default: Praying Brage game first, develop some interest and then the 3DS version.....

Asano: That would be a good chain of events if we could do it, wouldn't it.

Q: So, regarding a foreign release of the 3DS game you previously said via the game's official twitter that you '[had] yet to think about it.'

Asano: Indeed, I did. I'm still considering a good method to create a localization that preserves the interesting parts of the original, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

What does this even mean? WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN?

Like in the tweets, they also talk about how the browser game was an idea they came up with to keep Bravely Default in people's minds over a long period of time. Their hope is that people who finish the main game will go on to play the browser game, giving people a chance to continue to enjoy the world while they work on a sequel.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What does this even mean? WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN?

Reading the Japanese, he's saying he hasn't yet found a way to localize the game while retaining what makes the story/scenario interesting. I haven't played the Japanese version yet, so I'm not sure exactly what he's talking about, though.

I sure hope they release download version at some point.

hongcha

So it sounds like they'll probably, perhaps localize the browser game in Europe. Then if people have interest in that, they'll probably, perhaps localize the 3DS game (just in Europe?), but only if they can somehow preserve the essence of the original Japanese version in a foreign language?

Reading the Japanese, he's saying he hasn't yet found a way to localize the game while retaining what makes the story/scenario interesting. I haven't played the Japanese version yet, so I'm not sure exactly what he's talking about, though.

I sure hope they release download version at some point.

But.. I mean... that's not his job. That would be the job of... the localization team.

Green light it..!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
But.. I mean... that's not his job. That would be the job of... the localization team.

Green light it..!

He's probably saying he hasn't found a localization team he can trust, or hasn't been able to arrange a situation in which he can oversee/support the localization to the point that he feels the quality could be retained.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's a game that 8-4 has fully localized from start to finish?

Like, what's one of the shining examples of their work?

I'm not trying to cast doubt on them at all, just genuinely curious.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Paging 8-4...

Do they really need to hire an external agency? Its not like their internal localisation people in the US are doing anything right now...Unless FFXIV is again taking up too much of their localization staff. Which is possible......

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

According to their website, their involvement can range anywhere from very little work to full localization and debugging.

Do you have an example of a project that they localized almost entirely on their own?

The few times I've listened to their podcast, I've only ever heard them mention that they were "involved" in a game or "worked on" a game (Dragon's Dogma being the most recent example).

Wow, I was under the impression that 3 people a day were the maximum you could download for building up your village. I got 5 of em now, yay.

Daschysta

Everything that i've seen about this game seems about 1000x more compelling and close to what I want out of a Final Fantasy game compared to the entire Fabula Nova Chrystalis. I'm very glad to hear that a Sequel is greenlit for the 3DS, this game seems to be garnering very much interest judging by the sell outs and positive impressions, does anyone think that this could become a really big franchise in Japan with a sequel that has a higher budget and builds on what people like about the first. (As in potential million seller in Japan).

I dearly would like some indication that this is going to be localized... Seems too good to keep in one region, and 3DS needs some more stuff in the West, as opposed to Japan, which has just gobs of new software...

Everything that i've seen about this game seems about 1000x more compelling and close to what I want out of a Final Fantasy game compared to the entire Fabula Nova Chrystalis. I'm very glad to hear that a Sequel is greenlit for the 3DS, this game seems to be garnering very much interest judging by the sell outs and positive impressions, does anyone think that this could become a really big franchise in Japan with a sequel that has a higher budget and builds on what people like about the first. (As in potential million seller in Japan).

I dearly would like some indication that this is going to be localized... Seems too good to keep in one region, and 3DS needs some more stuff in the West, as opposed to Japan, which has just gobs of new software...
Long story short: this game is the FF I've been waiting for since FFIX.

Sinople

He's probably saying he hasn't found a localization team he can trust, or hasn't been able to arrange a situation in which he can oversee/support the localization to the point that he feels the quality could be retained.

The game has a huge amount of text (lots of cut-scenes + skits + several diaries + bestiary + items encyclopedia) and is almost totally dubbed with many, many characters.
I suppose he's saying it would cost too much money to translate and dub everything.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, they're actually thinking about localizing it, searching for the right deal. Good.

Daschysta

Long story short: this game is the FF I've been waiting for since FFIX.

Just what I was hoping for based on what i've heard about the game. I need it! I haven't played an epic, new JRPG since Dragon Quest 9, I miss Final Fantasy! I hope stuff like this keeps gaining momentum, and becomes a big series, and that mainline Final Fantasy continues to decline until they fix it. They need the reinforcement to actually take chances every once and a while on new stuff like this game.

The game has a huge amount of text (lots of cut-scenes + skits + several diaries + bestiary + items encyclopedia) and is almost totally dubbed with many, many characters.
I suppose he's saying it would cost too much money to translate and dub everything.

This is how I took it. Figuring out a way to keep the translations/voice acting as true to the spirit of the Japanese as possible, while appealing to Western markets. And not spending too much on (especially a crappy) dub.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
According to their website, their involvement can range anywhere from very little work to full localization and debugging.

Do you have an example of a project that they localized almost entirely on their own?

The few times I've listened to their podcast, I've only ever heard them mention that they were "involved" in a game or "worked on" a game (Dragon's Dogma being the most recent example).

Recently: Dragon Quest 6, Monster Hunter 3, Nier, Tales of Graces F...

Q. So you could localize the Bravely Default: Praying Brage game first, develop some interest and then the 3DS version.....

No god no!!, a moneygraber shitty browser f2p game isn't gonna do jackshit to raise interest on a 3DS RPG!!

also

Banned
No, that would suck! How much crossover does he think there is between the browser games and handheld JRPGs audience?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

A master troll.

I cannot believe how good is the soundtrack of this game.
Listen to these wonderful tracks:

Four Legends
You're my Hope
Visitor
Wind's Direction

I really want to play this game!
Dear God...I just listened to Four Legends. It's good to know what SE still has talent in the music department, and they've just been hiding it for the last few major titles. This stuff is a wonderful throwback to when SE used to make good RPGs.

Time elapses even when the system lid is shut. I guess I can just put my villagers to work on stuff all night long then?
Yep, they keep working even when it's shut. The main game clock doesn't even count that time, so it's all good....
wS8S0.gif

StayDead

Time elapses even when the system lid is shut. I guess I can just put my villagers to work on stuff all night long then?

Yup as long as you have the game cartidge in and running.

This game is beautiful. I'm up to the third chapter now and the areas are just... wow.

Image links to areas, don't click if you don't want it spoiled (to non import gamers)

Some of the best areas so far, although the second and first towns were lovely too.

How come my Mii profile in the game still says 43 minutes and a Lvl10 Tizz (job lvl1)? Do I have to update that manually somewhere?

neo2046

Dear God...I just listened to Four Legends. It's good to know what SE still has talent in the music department, and they've just been hiding it for the last few major titles. This stuff is a wonderful throwback to when SE used to make good RPGs.

all the tracks are composed by Revo (Sound Horizon)
while Revo (Sound Horizon) is not belonged to SE

CorvoSol

Do they really need to hire an external agency? Its not like their internal localisation people in the US are doing anything right now...Unless FFXIV is again taking up too much of their localization staff. Which is possible......

Clearly they've fired all of their localization teams because they can no longer be trusted. Toriyama insisted this was the only reason people outside Japan didn't love his stories as much.

Type-0 was pretty great though. It was almost precisely what I wanted out of the FNC. That said, Bravely Default does look like it's even better than 4 Heroes of Light.

hongcha

In in the midst of Chapter 2, about 13 hours in, and I think this is probably the best game I've played all year. Not to mention the best JRPG in a long time. The writing and voice acting in this game are just on a different level. It's all so good. I'm constantly amazed at how awesome everything about this game is.

My current party is Magic Knight - Hunter - Monk - Monk. I was pleased to discover a Hunter or Thief with a bow equipped gives damage similar to that of a monk.

God DAMN Bravely Default! Give a man a break!

Vampire job sub-quest spoilers:

So I'm in Lester's castle and fucking hell, I've been killed twice right before the final floor by teams of 3 cerberus. They hit like bricks and even when I'm ready to take their attacks, they end up braving and hitting hard twice in a row. =((((((

Sinople

God DAMN Bravely Default! Give a man a break!

Vampire job sub-quest spoilers:

So I'm in Lester's castle and fucking hell, I've been killed twice right before the final floor by teams of 3 cerberus. They hit like bricks and even when I'm ready to take their attacks, they end up braving and hitting hard twice in a row. =((((((

I skipped every random encounter by using teleport with a mage quick enough to act first (thief support abilities are your friends). Another trick I found later is to use sleep on every enemy then use the majin skill that kill sleeping enemies, surprisingly efficient :p
The boss itself isn't that hard.

I skipped every random encounter by using teleport with a mage quick enough to act first (thief support abilities are your friends). Another trick I found later is to use sleep on every enemy then use the majin skill that kill sleeping enemies, surprisingly efficient :p
The boss itself isn't that hard.

I mean, 9 times out of 10 my thieves attack first and kill them in one hit a piece. The main problem is that 1 out of 10 that gets me. It only ever happens in groups of three too. I might just go with the teleport ability though and see if that works any better.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I mean, 9 times out of 10 my thieves attack first and kill them in one hit a piece. The main problem is that 1 out of 10 that gets me. It only ever happens in groups of three too. I might just go with the teleport ability though and see if that works any better.

I keep dying in the same place (though the second time the death was caused by my party members killing each other :(.)

I keep dying in the same place (though the second time the death was caused by my party members killing each other :(.)

You can't see me right now, but I'm totally laughing right now. XD. The bastards in their can charm and confuse you. =(

I had a few problems with some of the earlier dragons too, mostly due to being unprepared to battle against constant status ailments.

StayDead

I'm just going to come out and say that the Red Mage sub quest was fantastic.

I can certainly see why this game says it has mature themes. It's brilliant.

Drugging women and taking them back to his secret lair and locking them up, only to be stopped by a Ringabell who was feeling down after trying to follow the guy to work out what his technique was. Also Idea wearing that awesome bikini and Ringabell going to save her, but then warning her that the bikini's size was wrong and getting her angry at him again. God I love those two characters <3

Yaaaay! I did it!

That was just a cool quest on the whole, honestly. Lester's backstory was really interesting, and it certainly revealed some fascinating parts about the world's history. Especially the whole Angel business at the end. Awesome boss fight too.

I'm just going to come out and say that the Red Mage sub quest was fantastic.

I can certainly see why this game says it has mature themes. It's brilliant.

Drugging women and taking them back to his secret lair and locking them up, only to be stopped by a Ringabell who was feeling down after trying to follow the guy to work out what his technique was. Also Idea wearing that awesome bikini and Ringabell going to save her, but then warning her that the bikini's size was wrong and getting her angry at him again. God I love those two characters <3

Thought that subquest was awesome, too. Up to Chapter3 now.
Enjoying the new characters and all the ships/towns. Thought the Victor/Victoria battle was going to be brutal until I realised it was an unwinnable battle.
Seriously, this game is awesome.

Top Bottom