• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Got my copy \(^_^)/

But I'm in the middle of playing Virtue's Last Reward for review, so it'll have to wait a bit.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think it could have reached 200k if there were more copies available.

This is similar to what happened with the 光の4戦士 game. It sold better than expected and stock wasnt able to keep up with the demand. Took em a while to get things restocked. Thankfully does not seem to be the case with BD:FF though.

StayDead

Ok, feeling better today.

I've been playing Cross Zone all morning/afternoon as I can't put the damn thing down. There's no obvious, hey quit here for a bit! style areas as it's mission, save, mission, save :p

Time to bust out Bravely Default I think.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Just got streetpasses of 2 persons playing Bravely Default today. Makes me want to go import a Japanese 3DS and the game like right now...:(

But I think I will just continue saving the money for a Vita :p

Collectors Edition just got dropped off on my doorstep. I can't wait to get home from work! I just wish I could actually read Japanese so I could play it... :(

C'mon Squeenix! Make with the US announcement already!

StayDead

This is better than I expected from the demos.

One thing I've loved since learning Japanese and playing games like this is just how much they like to play around with names.

Bailing out
near the start for example. Amazing.

EDIT: late, but mugugu~~~~~~~~~ (so cute).

They should have named this Bravely
Killing Everyone You Come Across

So I finally progressed the story after spending a ton of time leveling jobs and doing some of the side quests I missed. Ah man, this game doesn't know when to give people a break.

Oh hey! It's the water priestess Olivia! Yay! Reunited and it feels so good.... booooo now you're dead. =( Now Agnies is being super cold toward everyone and everything, focusing on completing her goals. It's depressing to see how much she's fallen, especially now that I've made it across the ocean. Refusing to help out on the warfront is so unlike her.
=(

Also, about Edea:
this poor fucking girl. I swear, she's like the secret main character of the game. Nearly every job boss you cut down has close ties to her and it sucks that she basically has resolved to cut down all of her former friends and comrades

Nobody in this game gets a break. Nobody.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

So I finally progressed the story after spending a ton of time leveling jobs and doing some of the side quests I missed. Ah man, this game doesn't know when to give people a break.

Oh hey! It's the water priestess Olivia! Yay! Reunited and it feels so good.... booooo now you're dead. =( Now Agnies is being super cold toward everyone and everything, focusing on completing her goals. It's depressing to see how much she's fallen, especially now that I've made it across the ocean. Refusing to help out on the warfront is so unlike her.
=(

Also, about Edea:
this poor fucking girl. I swear, she's like the secret main character of the game. Nearly every job boss you cut down has close ties to her and it sucks that she basically has resolved to cut down all of her former friends and comrades

Not even a kitkat bar. I love it. FFV Job System, Turn based Battles, Awesome Music, Dark Fantasy elements, BDFF is more Final Fantasy then Final fantasy, etc.

BTW Bravely Default sold out at Amazon AGAIN.

jimmypython

oh man please announce localization already! Even though I've owned a Japanese 3DS, I still want to play it on my American version XL!~~~

KuroNeeko

Just a note for those of you wanting a localization -

1) Make your voices heard. Square is not going to pay for the localization unless they think it will sell. From what I've heard, you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for an announcement because...

2) There is a metric ton of text in this game. RPGs are usually heavy on the text but since you have spoiler spoiler in this game - there is a lot more.

Of course, SE may have plans to localize it, but word is that they don't at this time.

fionel

Bought a copy at Yodobashi Camera Umeda on 2 days ago and was able to put in only 2 hours so far while juggling between this, re6, project x zone and persona 4, oh and also 2 kids and a full-time job. Why is life so cruel?! ><

Finally got mine, will play until my battery dies later.
wS8S0.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

I shouldn't have read that but thankfully it doesn't actually reveal anything and just got me more hyped. I was more than happy about what I've been reading about the job system, but now I'm starting to look forward to the story as well.

StayDead

Ok so I hit my first "I'm clearly not high enough level to do this yet" bit on the first side quest.

Final bit I think where you go kill the merchant guy for being a complete dick, but he hits like a truck and my party melts right now. Perhaps it's where I'm using 2 black mages a monk (who hardly does any damage for some reason, any idea why?) and a white mage with black mage support ability

jae

The design choices really kill the momentum in and beyond chapter 5. Turned this from an incredibly enjoyable experience to a monumentally tedious one.

Parakeetman

Ok so I hit my first "I'm clearly not high enough level to do this yet" bit on the first side quest.

Final bit I think where you go kill the merchant guy for being a complete dick, but he hits like a truck and my party melts right now. Perhaps it's where I'm using 2 black mages a monk (who hardly does any damage for some reason, any idea why?) and a white mage with black mage support ability

Just gotta level up basically. I just pounded the shit out of him with 2 monks. White mage was running healing and the last job doesnt really matter, but subbed white magic.

StayDead

I've always loved using black mages, but this game early on really does force you back to the inn due to how hard mana pots are to find/how expensive they are in the shop. Damnit >_<

Parakeetman

I've always loved using black mages, but this game early on really does force you back to the inn due to how hard mana pots are to find/how expensive they are in the shop. Damnit >_<

Later on you can steal them from a certain enemies.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The principles of healing magic on undead enemies still work.

Oneshotting a Dracolich with Raise is hilarious

Is your Monk holding a sword/sheild still? Almost anything but knuckles at that point in the game lowers the attack

GhaleonQ

StayDead

I hate myself. Chapter... 2 spoilers?

I went through and found the land turtle. Killed it first time but lost my white mage and monk so decided to go again and keep them alive. Since that restart I did about 10 retries all leading to me completely dying. That fight is just awful for my two black mage setup, I can barely damage anything, it's cool though since I'm just outside now doing some sidequests/levelling up and I'll go back later on with a stronger monk/white mage so they won't die.

StayDead

Aaaaaaah my goodness this is too cute.

The bit before annies enters the competition and she goes back to get the sexy outfit and she's too embaressed to wear it. It's just Tiz and her are such a cute implied couple, I can't take it anymore >_<

Up to the beginning of Chapter 2. Lots of spoilers

Story is great, characters are interesting. Am about 13 hours in now.

Towns are still beautiful. It looks like a picture book - Flouel Town in particular! It was simply stunning. The rock texture used in some dungeons is a bit odd - the green feels a little bit too colourful for a cave.

I'm enjoying the battle system and playing around with some jobs (switched my Tizz and Ringabel to Time Mage and Thief). It's fun playing around with abilities and supports and so on.

We're on the search for the Water Crystal Priestess, Olivia, now and Agnes is about to enter the beauty competition.

The mushrooms in the swamp are the devil because they keep spawning more, but simply braving each character 3 times on the first turn and having 2 characters using Fire attacks got rid of them in one turn before they could multiply too much.

The conclusion to the side-quests, involving the death of the king of the clock-town was well played too, I felt.

One thing I noticed is that the tropes of JRPGs just slip in there without noticing. Well, I didn't but really:

Agnes: Young female protecting element based religion
Tizz: Young nobody off to save the entire world after an 'attack' (of sorts) on his village resulting in dead loved ones.
Ringabel: Amnesia. Womanizer.
Idea: Tom-boy who doesn't take any of the womanizing character's crap.

And yet it feels fresh, but oh so familiar. It's a very nice homage to more traditional/old-fashioned game styles.

StayDead

Just ended Chapter 2.

I loved Chapter 2, well and Chapter 1 but Chapter 2 had some really awesome bits in it.
Ringabell is as funny, if not more funny than I imagined and his and Idea's interactions are fantastic.
Tizz and Annies are also pretty cool and their interactions are just lovely.
The final labrynth if chapter 2 was a bit annoying if not for the making me spend so much MP before I got to the final floor, forcing me to use my mana pots which still cost loads and are hard to find. >_<

Although sad, I thought the event scene with Olivia was really well done. Even though we'd only just met her, they somehow made me feel for her character's death a lot more than some of the other people in the game due to how her and Annies were so close.
Victor and Victoria seem like they're going to be really annoying characters to fight when we battle again. I'm looking forward to it, but they truly seem evil compared to some of the cast so far.
I also didn't realise this was going to be an "event battle" that someone mentioned before in the thread and wasted all my best mana pots before going inside. Damnit! T_T

Did the sidequests for that area too.

Damn, this game is dark. Having those two kids fight each other until they both lay dead was horrible. Such a beautiful area covered with such sadness. Same goes for the hair clips.

The Valkyrie fight was pretty awesome, took me a few attempts but when I finally did it I felt like a boss. Even felt sad for that character as although she was the "bad guy". She was Idea's friend and her death was well done. This really is the game of kill everyone you meet though :p

The town area for chapter 3 is once again BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to explore it properly.

nasos_333

Just ended Chapter 2.

I loved Chapter 2, well and Chapter 1 but Chapter 2 had some really awesome bits in it.
Ringabell is as funny, if not more funny than I imagined and his and Idea's interactions are fantastic.
Tizz and Annies are also pretty cool and their interactions are just lovely.
The final labrynth if chapter 2 was a bit annoying if not for the making me spend so much MP before I got to the final floor, forcing me to use my mana pots which still cost loads and are hard to find. >_<

Although sad, I thought the event scene with Olivia was really well done. Even though we'd only just met her, they somehow made me feel for her character's death a lot more than some of the other people in the game due to how her and Annies were so close.
Victor and Victoria seem like they're going to be really annoying characters to fight when we battle again. I'm looking forward to it, but they truly seem evil compared to some of the cast so far.
I also didn't realise this was going to be an "event battle" that someone mentioned before in the thread and wasted all my best mana pots before going inside. Damnit! T_T

Did the sidequests for that area too.

Damn, this game is dark. Having those two kids fight each other until they both lay dead was horrible. Such a beautiful area covered with such sadness. Same goes for the hair clips.

The Valkyrie fight was pretty awesome, took me a few attempts but when I finally did it I felt like a boss. Even felt sad for that character as although she was the "bad guy". She was Idea's friend and her death was well done. This really is the game of kill everyone you meet though :p

The town area for chapter 3 is once again BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to explore it properly.

We need this game in US, hopefully Square does not disappoint

Also i wonder if Agnes in the game has anything to do with the Agnes from the new tech demo they gave out

You should be, so long as you upload before 10/24. Just take note that you won't be able to get the reward until you've cleared the 4th chapter.

Okay, I see the demo would take a very long time to finish without StreetPass, and none of the rewards are unique items. I'm dropping the demo and switching to the main game before I miss the quest. I may go back to the demo to sate my OCD later ( ._.)

Top Bottom