• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Project Gotham Racing Appreciation Thread

Shaneus

Looks like Blur has been taken off Steam and it's not the first time Lackofvision has done this. Good news is the Blur multiplayer servers are still operational according to posts on Steam's Blur forum.
I'm going to stick with my theory that Activision no longer have the rights and Lucid are all up in that particular bitch.

its a much better game on PC, not sure about missions and that stuff but there are plenty of car and sound mods from here http://forum.turboduck.net/forums/75-Vehicle-Models. also wheel support is pretty limited but i got mine to work so hopefully it will be ok

try and find forza 4 models as they are the best quality, heres a shot of a clk forza model
testdriveunlimited201c9o0b.png
Damn, definitely worth hunting down! We shan't mention it again in this thread, but thanks for the tip!

Shaneus

Worth the double post, IMO.

Have been doing some random sleuthing (I tend to do that when I get a little *too* obsessed with something) and I noticed this guys entry on LinkedIn:
(censored bits because I don't know how LI handles privacy etc.)
Why would someone work at Bizarre, then go to Playground (which I'd imagine has a pretty healthy future, being somewhat under the wing of T10 and MS) but leave to join Lucid?

Also, another dude has this as their profile picture:
J6HmV.jpg

(from the guy who was the "development manager" on PGR4, amongst others)
Probably nothing, but as far as I know Lucid haven't completed anything at all that resembles a racer.

There's another guy who joined (coincidentally?) Lucid in Feb last year as well who was a "Contract 3D Artist/World Builder" for Criterion on "Most Wanted 2" (which would obviously have to be the current iteration of Most Wanted... just look at the environments, they *are* somewhat PGRish), and is now "Art Manager" at Lucid.

Wow, I've actually managed to creep *myself* out with this stuff. But hopefully, when we're all playing PGR5 on our Nextboxes, we'll look back on this and wonder how awesome I managed to be and not at all stalker-ish.

Edit: Best I can tell, that last photo is mirrored so the "Lucid" is the right way around.
63ymQ.png

I think it's just Forza :(

TJP

Yeah, the pictures look like Borza...I mean Forza 8) Hopefully Lucid are making something other than travel games for the Vita.

Shaneus

It's a big coup, though... once I bought my Vita, that travel game was one of the first things that came up as a freebie I could install, even without PSN+ access. Has to get their name out there just a little bit.

Maybe I should fire it up and have a look, see what it actually is.

Definitely Forza 4. I can tell from the excessive road bloom (damn it, T10).
As soon as I realised the picture was reversed (because I didn't recognise the HUD otherwise) yeah... that bloom and gloss clicked. Still beats me why it was like that in the game.

derFeef

Worth the double post, IMO.

Have been doing some random sleuthing (I tend to do that when I get a little *too* obsessed with something) and I noticed this guys entry on LinkedIn:
(censored bits because I don't know how LI handles privacy etc.)

Why would someone work at Bizarre, then go to Playground (which I'd imagine has a pretty healthy future, being somewhat under the wing of T10 and MS) but leave to join Lucid?

Also, another dude has this as their profile picture:
http://i.imgur.com/J6HmV.jpg
(from the guy who was the "development manager" on PGR4, amongst others)
Probably nothing, but as far as I know Lucid haven't completed anything at all that resembles a racer.

There's another guy who joined (coincidentally?) Lucid in Feb last year as well who was a "Contract 3D Artist/World Builder" for Criterion on "Most Wanted 2" (which would obviously have to be the current iteration of Most Wanted... just look at the environments, they *are* somewhat PGRish), and is now "Art Manager" at Lucid.

Wow, I've actually managed to creep *myself* out with this stuff. But hopefully, when we're all playing PGR5 on our Nextboxes, we'll look back on this and wonder how awesome I managed to be and not at all stalker-ish.

Edit: Best I can tell, that last photo is mirrored so the "Lucid" is the right way around.
http://i.imgur.com/63ymQ.png
I think it's just Forza :(

Cool, good find, hype rising.

Xun

Um... do you think they're talking about me?
28Xqo.png

I know who works there, I just want to know what they're doing!
Haha, wow. It wouldn't surprise me!

Anyway take a look at this image of Asphalt I found in their image directory:

test2.jpg

Also top left in this shot, it's definitely a car on the screen:

Unfortunately can't tell you what we're working on just yet, it's fun to read all the rumours and sleuthing tho...
Haha, oh snap!

saladine1

Unfortunately can't tell you what we're working on just yet, it's fun to read all the rumours and sleuthing tho...

All I can say is, if it isn't PGR5/Forza Gotham Racing/Forza Street Racer, then there will be backlash....just saying.....

j7eSd.jpg

Bigger picture for higher resolution sleuthing...

Notice the box with the bikes on it (looks like Yamaha YZF)..bikes confirmed!
It also means money is a bit tight so modelling had to be done by using toy bikes..:(

All I can say is, if it isn't PGR5/Forza Gotham Racing/Forza Street Racer, then there will be backlash....just saying.....

j7eSd.jpg

It also means money is a bit tight so modelling had to be done by using toy bikes..:(

Yeah those look like first gen R1s and R6s.

Hope they include the mid 90s YZF750R in whatever it is theyre doing :p.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
If you look to the right there is a toy helicopter.

HELICOPTERS CONFIRMED

Edit: Oh, shit, there is a powerboat on the far left desk...

Xun

j7eSd.jpg

All you had to do was click the quote I put up man.

It was the same resolution picture. :p

It's really a shame that MS dit have not have bought Bizarre Creations when they had the chance. What a talented studio.
I can only imagine how PGR 5 would have looked like on the next Xbox. It could be the killer app launch game. Damn it MS!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh the disappointment when this game turns out to be iOS..
I think their team is at a place where the size may dictate them working on a bigger release, or at least helping with one instead of an iOS game. Or at least I hope.

But anyways, fuck racing games on mobile/tablets. I don't know how anyone even plays them casually with all those control options that are equally terrible.

TheMan

But man, I wish with all my heart that we can get some emulated Xbox action on PC. Given that the entire box was (and still probably is) the closest a gaming console has come to having PC hardware, I'm surprised we haven't seen more.

this post answers your questions- boils down to lack of documentation and high complexity.

saladine1

Lucid Games, if you are indeed making a PGR game, listen to me..

I'm going to get this out of the way nice and early.

AUDIO
AUDIO
AUDIO

For the love of all things sideways, please deliver on the sounds. Now, I don't know whether you guys are going to use Turn 10's assets or not, but whatever you do, do not make the same mistake that was done in Forza Horizon where the mixing was done in favour of the music over the cars.
Keep the Wiswell legacy alive with fantastic sound design.

Lucid Games, if you are indeed making PGR, I will be in every thread, every post, nagging, bitching, hounding you at every turn regarding audio. Turn 10 had to deal with my incessant bitching for years, so did Playground Games.....you have been warned..

Shaneus

Um... hi, that was me that started it all, I think. Even though I don't think the speculation had been anyone else's other than mine (up until that cheeky Facebook update) I'm still glad that someone over there is keeping an eye on it (or something).

But the fact that there's at least one person from Bizarre Lucid lurking in a thread called "The Project Gotham Racing Appreciation Thread" on a semi-popular gaming forum speaks volumes ;)

Shaneus' level of hope is not good for my health :(
I'm sorry, but it's just that the teaser picture... it ignited something. Something not good. To be honest, I'm concerned that this thread has gone from the posting of that teaser picture from Lucid to my innocent, casual (completely justified and 100% normal) investigation, but THEN onto the full-blown creep mode that you guys have moved forward with. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

None of them are available on XBL On Demand, that seems like a shame.
PGR4 had an issue with the audio because of the way the data streaming worked which caused it to skip (or something along those lines) but even though it only seemed to affect menu music (as far as I can tell) it's enough for them to not sell it on the XBL storefront. Licensing may also play a part in it, I'm not too sure.

Wow, you've stepped it up a notch! I was really only curious about the backgrounds of people who were at Bizarre (it's not my fault they have LinkedIn links on that page!), worked elsewhere then joined Lucid. But you've gone full creepo. For shame!

Good work, tiger.

Lucid Games, if you are indeed making PGR, I will be in every thread, every post, nagging, bitching, hounding you at every turn regarding audio. Turn 10 had to deal with my incessant bitching for years, so did Playground Games.....you have been warned..
I don't know why you'd feel the need to nag. Have you ever felt the need to before? Were either PGR4 or Blur (or even Blood Stone) not up to your standard? Sounds like you need to have a good, hard think about where you're going with this, saladine. It's like you've lost faith or something.

PS. Don't say anything, but I hacked their website and found this image in one of their hidden, encrypted folders.

shhhhhv5zv9.jpg

What do you guys make of it?!?

I... I don't want to believe.

The demise of Bizarre and PGR haunt me to this day. I cry myself to sleep each and every night imagining the wonders that a next-gen incarnation would bring. I drive with a pumpkin on my head, and my commute entails fishtailing wildly, two-wheeling at every opportunity, and making clicking noises as I tally my Kudos score on the windshield with a Sharpie, all in a pathetic attempt to keep the flame alive.

So to even consider the possibility of Lucid working on a game of that sort, if not, dare I say, PGR5 itself?

No. No I say! My fractured psyche could not bear the thought of it not coming true.

RdN

PGR 2, is the best racing game I ever played.

It's Xbox Live functionalities where unprecedented at the time. I remember the game showing that I had more than 800 HOURS of online gameplay with friends. It was that amazing of an experience. Add that to ridiculous variety of vehicles, the first person showroom that was amazing at the time, online leaderboards and challenges.. man, good times.

Unfortunately, PGR3 and 4 didn't hook me the same way. I'm not a fan of the "Life starts at 170mhp (or whatever was the speed), thinking that the lack of small cars, SUV and all hurts the experience. I also can't shake the feeling that PGR4 was not a worth successor to 3, sharing most of the assets, with not that great of an upgrade.

As many here, I'm anxious for a PGR5 next gen.. And I really hope it returns to the PGR2 style, with a better and improved Gotham TV and amazing graphics!

derFeef

They could very well make a racing game, but that does not mean it's PGR or for a home console. Also they have SCE as one of their partners...

eso76

Omg, lead environment artist for pgr4 working on this ?
Day one. Whatever it is.

Except if it's iOS or android stuff, then I'll pass.

I also can't shake the feeling that PGR4 was not a worth successor to 3, sharing most of the assets, with not that great of an upgrade.

Wrong.
Although I'm still mad at pgr4 for dropping midday Tokyo.

TJP

This thread keeps getting better by the day. Congrats Shaneus for getting onto the Lucid FB page and for getting Nick Davies to respond due to your stalking.

HokieJoe

+1,000

0EKfo.jpg

This is the place where we come together to appreciate and play the fine collection of arcade racing games that the fine men and women at Bizarre Creations gave us over the past decade or so under the Project Gotham Racing and Metropolis Street Racer monikers.

Now that your all caught up on the history of this franchise, why not give it a shot if you haven't already? PGR4 is a great place to start, as it can be found for cheap anywhere and will irrefutably give you a lot of bang for your buck with all of the content inside.

And if you have already played PGR games and own them, which you likely have if you're clicking this thread, then you should join in on this celebration of the Project Gotham Racing series. Post your favourite memories, favourite tracks, favourite pictures, favourite videos, favourite cars and favourite games from the franchise. ITS A CELEBRATION BITCHES.

Thread written by enzo_gt, graphics by Xun.

Top Bottom