• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Project Gotham Racing Appreciation Thread

addyb

I can get blur for around £8. I might get it after I'm done with pgr4. Even if online is dead I will just do the campaign.

Xun

The Lucid news would excite me a little bit, but I'm pretty sure Stephen Cakebread is part of Hogrocket now, and that's who's project I would have been excited for.
I'm not so sure anymore that Lucid are working on anything big at the moment, especially since they need iOS programmers.

I can get blur for around £8. I might get it after I'm done with pgr4. Even if online is dead I will just do the campaign.

i have it on pc and the offline play is rather good, it's just not my cup of tea so did not play for more then about 2-3 hours worth.

tasos

PGR4 is one of the best arcade racers - for me PGR2 is the top in the series but the fourth is still amazing .
Absolutely amazings graphics ... propably the most realistic cities ever put in a game . I must mention the gorgeous motion blur and weather effects .
All in all an amazing game .

tasos

How is the BC with pgr2? Is it also available on the market place?

It's ok , a few problems in the menus if i remember well , it's been some time since i've played that game .
Don't know about market place , people here will tell you about the availability ...

addyb

It's ok , a few problems in the menus if i remember well , it's been some time since i've played that game .
Don't know about market place , people here will tell you about the availability ...

Ok thanks mate. I might have to try it out. Only played 3&4

tasos

You should definitely try it out if you find it , great game and most likely the best cities of the whole series .

addyb

You should definitely try it out if you find it , great game and most likely the best cities of the whole series .

Yeah I dont think it's available on the market place but I'm sure I will be able to source a cheap copy from somewhere. Got the Gotham bug back in a big way. Absolutely loving 4 at the minute. For ages I preferred burnout revenge as my arcade racer fix but this has taken that slot.

addyb

Whilst browsing for cheap pgr2 copies I came across another classic. Rallisport Challenge 2. Great game, pity it's not bc.

EDIT: Just bidding on an Xbox console on eBay. It actually comes with pgr2 and rallisport 2. It's like it's meant to be. Lol

Shaneus

Whilst browsing for cheap pgr2 copies I came across another classic. Rallisport Challenge 2. Great game, pity it's not bc.

EDIT: Just bidding on an Xbox console on eBay. It actually comes with pgr2 and rallisport 2. It's like it's meant to be. Lol
Funny story: I managed to score a pre-modded 360 a year or two back, rarely played it. But, someone released a hacked version of the BC software on there that will run (or try to run) any Xbox game, whether it has a BC profile or not.

Know what works (basically) perfectly? RSC2. It's fucking incredible. Runs better than a lot of games that DO have BC profiles.

But man, I wish with all my heart that we can get some emulated Xbox action on PC. Given that the entire box was (and still probably is) the closest a gaming console has come to having PC hardware, I'm surprised we haven't seen more. 360 BC doesn't cut it at all for PGR1 or 2 and my original Xbox has been packed up for a while now :(

PS. What's a papadok?

addyb

Funny story: I managed to score a pre-modded 360 a year or two back, rarely played it. But, someone released a hacked version of the BC software on there that will run (or try to run) any Xbox game, whether it has a BC profile or not.

Know what works (basically) perfectly? RSC2. It's fucking incredible. Runs better than a lot of games that DO have BC profiles.

But man, I wish with all my heart that we can get some emulated Xbox action on PC. Given that the entire box was (and still probably is) the closest a gaming console has come to having PC hardware, I'm surprised we haven't seen more. 360 BC doesn't cut it at all for PGR1 or 2 and my original Xbox has been packed up for a while now :(

PS. What's a papadok?

Yeah I have seen a YouTube clip of someone running rsc2 on the 360 with a jtag. I really wish there was a softmod I could do so I could play it on my 360 with the original disc. I'm no jolly roger btw. :)

Shaneus

Yeah I have seen a YouTube clip of someone running rsc2 on the 360 with a jtag. I really wish there was a softmod I could do so I could play it on my 360 with the original disc. I'm no jolly roger btw. :)
You can buy them (at least, I managed to buy mine in Australia) but from what I know, there's an exploit that will run almost all the newer slim 360s... but you wouldn't want it to be your primary console. Which is why I bought a spare! I didn't find out about the BC thing until after I got it (though one of my main reasons was so I could play import games via BC on it).

addyb

You can buy them (at least, I managed to buy mine in Australia) but from what I know, there's an exploit that will run almost all the newer slim 360s... but you wouldn't want it to be your primary console. Which is why I bought a spare! I didn't find out about the BC thing until after I got it (though one of my main reasons was so I could play import games via BC on it).

Well my 1st plan is to buy a used Xbox. I will then set that up possibly in my bedroom if I can't find a place for it downstairs in my rack. 2 hours left of the auction for it and it's sitting at £14 (£24 inc delivery)

EDIT: Won the auction so Xbox with pgr2 and rsc2 on its way! Need to think of other classics to pick up as well.

Shaneus

Well my 1st plan is to buy a used Xbox. I will then set that up possibly in my bedroom if I can't find a place for it downstairs in my rack. 2 hours left of the auction for it and it's sitting at £14 (£24 inc delivery)

EDIT: Won the auction so Xbox with pgr2 and rsc2 on its way! Need to think of other classics to pick up as well.
Wait... you picked up an Xbox with those two games for ~$40AU? Damn, you'll get your money's worth out of that, for sure. You'd probably also want to get yourself a composite cable as well, as that's the only way you'll get close to a decent picture out of it (especially for the odd game that supports 720P/1080P).

As for other games... PGR1 (obviously), Outrun 2 (better than Coast2Coast), Burnout 3 (although this can be had on 360 BC GoD), Midtown Madness 3 (though the offline play may not be as good as the online, which is mostly what I remember)... but that's all that comes to mind. I remember thinking (as a driving fan) that it was THE console to own, but I can't remember what actually drove that opinion.

addyb

Wait... you picked up an Xbox with those two games for ~$40AU? Damn, you'll get your money's worth out of that, for sure. You'd probably also want to get yourself a composite cable as well, as that's the only way you'll get close to a decent picture out of it (especially for the odd game that supports 720P/1080P).

As for other games... PGR1 (obviously), Outrun 2 (better than Coast2Coast), Burnout 3 (although this can be had on 360 BC GoD), Midtown Madness 3 (though the offline play may not be as good as the online, which is mostly what I remember)... but that's all that comes to mind. I remember thinking (as a driving fan) that it was THE console to own, but I can't remember what actually drove that opinion.

Yeah it comes with 1 pad, all cables and 2 games ( pgr2 & rsc2). Really looking forward to revisiting rsc2 again.

Shaneus

Yeah it comes with 1 pad, all cables and 2 games ( pgr2 & rsc2). Really looking forward to revisiting rsc2 again.
Component cable wasn't stock though, and in Australia I really had to hunt for it. Make sure you get it!

Looks like this:
high-definition-av-pack-contents.jpg

addyb

Component cable wasn't stock though, and in Australia I really had to hunt for it. Make sure you get it!

Looks like this:
high-definition-av-pack-contents.jpg

Ahh component cable. In your previous post you stated composite. Ive asked the seller if it does come with a component but I think it's highly unlikely.

Woffls

Picked PGR3/4 up again yesterday. I brought 3 back to London with me to finish off the achievements but it turns out I already got all the offline ones so I can't get any more as I don't have the internet :( I was so happy when I got the cone challenges done ^_^

I've not enjoyed 4 as much, a lot of the challenges seem unfairly difficult, and I really really really hate the bikes, still. I'll probably never platinum all the stuff in PGR4 :(

PGR3 is my favourite racing game ever. Blur was amazing, and it's such a shame that it didn't explode in popularity. I need to pick up a copy of MSR as well.

Jamesways

TOCA!!! Get the Toca games. I believe they were for Xbox as well. And I think some of the official WRC ones were too.

addyb

So with most people saying pgr2 is the best. What does pgr2 improve upon the original?
Think I will get Colin McRae 4 as well.

tasos

So with most people saying pgr2 is the best. What does pgr2 improve upon the original?
Think I will get Colin McRae 4 as well.

It has the best selection of cities - not only great to look at but more important great to race. The handling is exceptional - the kudos system was more refined and it was amazing online .

addyb

It has the best selection of cities - not only great to look at but more important great to race. The handling is exceptional - the kudos system was more refined and it was amazing online .

Thanks for the info mate. I think a lot of Xbox games have aged well. I got burnout takedown from the store last week and it still looked good.

Milchjon

So worth it. Might do it myself, I just can't stand life without RSC 2.

Edit: PGR 2 is one of my favorites, but I always thought the scale was slightly off. The cars seemed bigger than the streets, relatively.

addyb

So worth it. Might do it myself, I just can't stand life without RSC 2.

Edit: PGR 2 is one of my favorites, but I always thought the scale was slightly off. The cars seemed bigger than the streets, relatively.

Not played RSC2 for a very long time. There is a severe lack of rally games this gen. Looking forward to banging it on again. Need to get a component cable ordered from amazon as this Xbox only comes with the standard composite.

addyb

My Xbox arrived this morning with pgr2 and rsc2. Absolutely great condition. I'm still waiting for my component cable to arrive and then I will have to softmod it but it actually doesnt look too bad on my Samsung led with composite. A lot better than I expected anyway.

addyb

Had a session on pgr4 and rsc2 last night. Totally unrelated to this thread but I'm after some advice. I wouldn't mind soft modding my Xbox so I can have a play with some emulators and other home brew.

I recently did some pc upgrades so have a spare 320GB sata hdd. Can I use this in my xbox? I take it I would need a sata-ide adaptor of some sort so it would work in the Xbox. Ive read about the hotswap method but also wondered if I can just bang this drive in my pc. Install the relevant files and then just install it in my xbox and then it's done?

Apologies but if anyone can give me any tips etc. I'm still googling guides but each one seems a bit different so it's hard work gathering info on what I exactly need to do.

I loved how you could buy things with kudos and the gamerpic was the most expensive but also gave you a small cheevo, things like that were good charm in PGR.

addyb

I loved how you could buy things with kudos and the gamerpic was the most expensive but also gave you a small cheevo, things like that were good charm in PGR.

The kudos definitely adds another dimension to the gameplay. Playing career in pgr4 last night and decent kudos amounts in certain races has helped me maintain a top 2-3 position quite a few times.
Quick question for pgr4 veterans. Is it unlimited seasons in career? I'm half way through season 3 and ranked 14 but I'm still a few hundred off top spot.

Shaneus

Had a session on pgr4 and rsc2 last night. Totally unrelated to this thread but I'm after some advice. I wouldn't mind soft modding my Xbox so I can have a play with some emulators and other home brew.

I recently did some pc upgrades so have a spare 320GB sata hdd. Can I use this in my xbox? I take it I would need a sata-ide adaptor of some sort so it would work in the Xbox. Ive read about the hotswap method but also wondered if I can just bang this drive in my pc. Install the relevant files and then just install it in my xbox and then it's done?

Apologies but if anyone can give me any tips etc. I'm still googling guides but each one seems a bit different so it's hard work gathering info on what I exactly need to do.
Xbox-scene is your friend. Also, I'm not sure if the original Xbox accepted SATA. Might be IDE.

addyb

Yeah just having a look now. Ordered a sata -ide converter from amazon for a few quid. Just looking up on guides etc now. Main reason for soft modding is so I can enable hd as it doesnt work on pal consoles from stock

Shaneus

Yeah just having a look now. Ordered a sata -ide converter from amazon for a few quid. Just looking up on guides etc now. Main reason for soft modding is so I can enable hd as it doesnt work on pal consoles from stock
For emulators and homebrew, most can fit on the internal HDD already (from memory, there's still a good 4gb to play with, I think). Obviously if you want to HDD load some games (so good) you'll need a bigger HDD and I don't know whether just having a SATA->IDE converter will work (it might not, I don't know) but there's plenty of info out there. And you can't really screw it up, either. If you have the original HDD, just drop it back in and you'll be fine _b

addyb

For emulators and homebrew, most can fit on the internal HDD already (from memory, there's still a good 4gb to play with, I think). Obviously if you want to HDD load some games (so good) you'll need a bigger HDD and I don't know whether just having a SATA->IDE converter will work (it might not, I don't know) but there's plenty of info out there. And you can't really screw it up, either. If you have the original HDD, just drop it back in and you'll be fine _b

Yeah well that's just it. If it doesnt work I will just it the stock hdd again. Ive got a few guides now so will give it a whirl once I have this adaptor and see what happens.

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so it seems like the perfect way to bump this thread. When I first saw it, I thought it might've been one of those articles that's "related" to something else but is from years ago... but it's only a month old:
The Making Of: Metropolis Street Racer

Enjoy :)

Thanks for that - it was a great read :)

It also reminded me that as much as I love PGR4, MSR still has the edge for me when it comes to the feeling of racing on actual streets.

Top Bottom