• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales in France: 120k in 2012

guek

Banned
Whoa, not in any way stunning but much better than I expected. From all the brouhaha about flopping in Europe, I expected half that in a territory like France.

Still a overwhelmingly lukewarm reception though.

On an separate note, why does France seem to hate the 360??

Backflip

Whoa, not in any way stunning but much better than I expected. From all the brouhaha about flopping in Europe, I expected half that in a territory like France.

Because it's from Microsoft/Bill Gates (and maybe a little bit because it's American). With that said, it looks like French people have warmed up to the Xbox brand. They really hated it when the first Xbox was released.

patapuf

The french generally like japanese games.

The online services of the 360 aren't really compelling in mainline europe - for the price anyway.

Backflip

The french generally like japanese games.

The online services of the 360 aren't really compelling in mainline europe - for the price anyway.

Well, when you look a the weekly sales numbers, FPSs top the charts most of the time nowadays.

patapuf

Well, when you look a the weekly sales numbers, FPSs top the charts most of the time nowadays.

Of course things change over time and it's not like the french only like japanese games but france is still the biggest market for anime/manga in europe.

Also Sony still has some brand power around here, they really like nintendo as well.

Backflip

Nintendo seems to have a strong grip on the casual market in France. As far as gamers are concerned, France is still Sony land. Some of the Sony fanboys in France are really crazy. I've met gamers who wouldn't even touch an Xbox 360 controlled. They'd say stuff like "I won't touch THAT!"

jerd

France is the most pro Nintendo country in Europe, so no it´s pretty bad.

Considering we heard many estimates saying sub 100K in all of Europe and most of GAF was basically not counting Europe when tallying Wii U sales, I'd say its much better than we thought.

Edit: Just so I'm clear, the estimates were from our GAF experts.

jimi_dini

I guess most EU people bought it from amazon.fr, because it was much cheaper than everywhere else.

Bruno MB

Not a bad launch. Well, Japanese and to a lesser extent US launch weren't bad either. The big problem comes after the holiday season, we know that Wii U has already collapsed in Japan.

Last year 3DS sold 761.000 units in France.

farnham

Banned
Considering we heard many estimates saying sub 100K in all of Europe and most of GAF was basically not counting Europe when tallying Wii U sales, I'd say its much better than we thought.

this

AOC83

Banned

Maybe 100K for the Launch week, but i can´t imagine anyone predicting 100K for 2012.
All of Europe combined should be somewhere around 400K now, and yes this is horrible.
PS3 sold more in it´s launchweek alone, which was in march btw.

kfpkiller

Nintendo seems to have a strong grip on the casual market in France. As far as gamers are concerned, France is still Sony land. Some of the Sony fanboys in France are really crazy. I've met gamers who wouldn't even touch an Xbox 360 controlled. They'd say stuff like "I won't touch THAT!"
Casuals aren't buying the wii u here.
It's just that there are a lot of nintendo fans in france.

antonz

French Sales are pretty good. PS3 launched abysmally low in France. I seem to recall they had a mega party in Paris for launch and almost no one showed up. All shows the same trend though. Basic Pack was a big mistake by Nintendo.

I doubt it. Not with those UK sales, not with the console already getting discounts in Germany.

Show me some posts at GAF were people said sub 100k in all of Europe. Please, go ahead. I don't remember anyone being that stupid, unless you mean "sub 100k separately in the big countries", in which case I'm willing to agree.

UK was getting close to 100K, iirc. How many countries is it sold in in Europe?

That's why you don't take GAF sales "Experts" too seriously - noone sane would expect Europe to be below 100k when first week in UK was 40k.

And the number is still bad 2/3 of Wii launch but not restricted by shortages.

Laguna

Banned
Pretty good WiiU start in France. But the most intesting news here is that 3DS was by far the most popular system and clearly outselling PS3 in 2012.

Insanity

It'd take some fanboy goggles of immeasurable strength to come up with numbers like those.

Bumhead

Banned

I'd be really interested if you could find and quote a post from anyone saying people expected less than 100k for the whole of Europe, because I've never seen one.

People have been talking about the UK numbers a lot, which at still less than 100k (reportedly) are absolutely abysmal, but we've largely been playing a waiting game for numbers from other countries.

I'd argue the known UK performance, the failure even of NSMBU and Nintendo Land to chart across Europe and known numbers of only 120k for France still paint a pretty dour picture for the Wii U's performance in Europe.

In my expert opinion, obviously.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS doing so well in France? Not surprised: France is the most Japan-friendly country in Europe :D
I'm expecting very good numbers in Germany too.

Via LSA: http://www.lsa-conso.fr/premier-bilan-correct-pour-la-wii-u-en-france,137328
Numbers by P. Lavoué from Nintendo France.

Wii U 2012 : 120k / 38M€
Wii 2006 : 180k

Basic pack: 10%; ZombiU pack: 15%; Premium: 75%.

3DS 2012 : almost 950k
ps3 2012 : 700k
Wii 2012 : 372k
Xbox360 2012 : 360k

OP note: Creating thread sales-age related. How scarry! Burn me alive with Din fire if already posted!
Thx, always rely on french sites to post GfK data. :D

Numbers are ok.

3DS France:
2011: 761.000
2012: 950.000

Total: 1.711.000

Striek

Thats better than I thought based on the information gamekult gave on its first two weeks (65k through first two weeks).
Enough countries to make "sub 100k in all of Europe" the dumbest claim in the history of Sales-Age.
Did anyone actually claim that though?

Jackano

French Sales are pretty good. PS3 launched abysmally low in France. I seem to recall they had a mega party in Paris for launch and almost no one showed up. All shows the same trend though. Basic Pack was a big mistake by Nintendo.
Ahah that was glorious. Too bad I wasn't living in Paris at that time. Microsoft even sent a boat with an Xbox party on it to troll the guys waiting in the cold for buying a 600€ ps3.

Numbers are like everywhere in the world: Slighty dispointing but not bad.
Comparing to the Wii is a good comparison. The Wii U is more expensive, and the economical context is completely different from 2006.
That's still a 33% drop, so that's not the only explanation. Nintendo Land is definitely not Wii Sports. And Mario fans, after NSMB, NSMBW, and NSMB2, are not Zelda fans.

And always remember that the Gamecube sold 1.2M in France in its lifespan if you want bomba comparisons...

Oh, and the 3DS is on the its roll, doing DS-like numbers now. Should be interesting if it does the same in all Europe.

Striek

Its still worse relative to Japan or US, the saving grace is its not as bad as the UK (although that was already known too).
Oh, and the 3DS is on the its roll, doing DS-like numbers now. Should be interesting if it does the same in all Europe.

Not even close to DS yearly numbers yet.

Top Bottom