• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales in France: 120k in 2012

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The GAME manager I talked to was right, 3DS had a tremendous Q4.

Germany is another big Nintendo market, their figures will be interesting.

E-phonk

Banned
Depending on performance in other countries that should bring WiiU somewhere between 400k on the low end and 700k on the high end.

The GAME manager I talked to was right, 3DS had a tremendous Q4.

Germany is another big Nintendo market, their figures will be interesting.

France - 3DS 2012:
Jan 12: +
Feb 12: +
Mar 12: +
Apr 12: +
May 12: +
Jun 12: 236.000
Jul 12: +
Aug 12: +
Sep 12: +
Oct 12: 243.000
Nov 12: +
Dec 12: 471.000

471.000 in November and December alone, that's half of the YTD numbers.

PaulLFC

UK was getting close to 100K, iirc. How many countries is it sold in in Europe?
Very much doubt it'll be 100k yet.

Latest estimates we had where numbers were worked out was around 55,000-65,000 after its launch weekend and first two weeks. After that, Nintendoland dropped off the top 40 charts (from the week ending 22nd December).

That means of course we don't have very good estimates of figures, but we can say that sales of the premium can't have been very good since then (since bundles count towards the chart) - and the premium is the best selling SKU. For example, last week it was revealed Anarchy Reigns (16/40 in the chart) sold 4,500 copies. Nintendoland failed to make any of the 24 positions below that, so sales won't exactly be high.

lefantome

Thx, always rely on french sites to post GfK data. :D

Numbers are ok.

3DS France:
2011: 761.000
2012: 950.000

Total: 1.711.000

It would be more imterestimg to compare the sales in the months who followeed the price cut last year. Comsidering that 3ds was not released in january and that it sold pretty bad worldwide for the first months, this year the sales could have been lower in the same period.

It would be more imterestimg to compare the sales in the months who followeed the price cut last year. Comsidering that 3ds was not released in january and that it sold pretty bad worldwide for the first months, this year the sales could have been lower in the same period.
This is everything I have:

(Blue number is from IDG / rest from GfK)

3ds.png

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Whoa, not in any way stunning but much better than I expected. From all the brouhaha about flopping in Europe, I expected half that in a territory like France.

Still a overwhelmingly lukewarm reception though.

On an separate note, why does France seem to hate the 360??

France and Germany are the best market for the Wii U in PALland up to now.
UK numbers are lower, despite being the market slightly bigger, while the other countries are smaller overall speaking.
Btw not so bad as I though, too.

marc^o^

Not "in one month", it was the launch-month. That's a difference. ;)

Sales are ok I think, not bad and not very strong either.
But that was expected since it's france after all.
Just realized Wii sold more than x360 in 2012.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is everything I have:

(Blue number is from IDG / rest from GfK)

3ds.png

Ah, so if I understand correctly, 3DS in 2011 did just over 500k in October, November, December, while in 2012 it did 471k in November and December, right?

E-phonk

Banned
probably more like 450k on the high end, 300k on the low end

On the low hand you would put 40% of the consoles sold in France. It's the second biggest market in Europe, but they aren't THAT big.

Ok, having calculated a bit more, this is where I land:

The UK should be somewhere between 60k & 100k (and 60k would be a flop in EU's biggest market), germany is about the same size as France in console%% and usually nintendo-friendly but with the lackluster performance let's put it between 75k & 100k.
The next 2 markets are Spain and Italy. Spain is +/- 45% of the market compared to france, Italy about 40%. I'd put both around 35-50k.
All other countries should also come to 70k combined (netherlands, finland, denmark, swiss, belgium, portugal, greece, ... )

So my guesttimate put's it at 400k on the low end, 600k on the high end.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah France is japan's whore. It was the only country in the world where Final Fantasy Spirit Within charted the box office, that tells you!!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Correct.

I couldn't find numbers for every month, so I needed to combine some of them with "+".

So, Holiday season 2012 better than 2011 in France confirmed. And this with a worse Holiday lineup. I can't even imagine what kind of numbers the console will do this Holiday with Pokémon coming.

Ok, having calculated a bit more, this is where I land:

On the low hand you would put 40% of the consoles sold in France. It's the second biggest market in Europe, but they aren't THAT big.
The UK should be somewhere between 60k & 100k (and 60k would be a flop in EU's biggest market), germany is about the same size as France in console%% and usually nintendo-friendly, so let's put them slightly less successful between 80k & 100k.
The next 2 markets are Spain and Italy. Spain is +/- 45% of the market compared to france, Italy about 40%. I'd put both around 35-50k.
All other countriesshould also come to 70k combined (netherlands, finland, denmark, swiss, belgium, portugal, greece, ... )

That's 400k on the low end, 600k on the high end.
Wii U:
EU: 400.000 - 600.000
US: 885.000
JP: 715.085

Total: 2.000.085 - 2.200.085

Also, Canada, Australia and others should contribute ~100.000 units probably.

probably more like 450k on the high end, 300k on the low end

Considering that based only on France + UK numbers we know so far Wii U should have sold at least 200k+, your low end estimation seems too low.

Germany is another big market - allegedly nearly as much big as France and also one where Nintendo consoles are usually well received -, then there's Australia(also a PAL region), Italy, Spain, Netherlands and all other countries, so putting all these together I think 100k+ should be a lock.

fabprems

Because it's from Microsoft/Bill Gates (and maybe a little bit because it's American). With that said, it looks like French people have warmed up to the Xbox brand. They really hated it when the first Xbox was released.

Yeah, there's like almost no iPhones and iPads in France, cause we don't like americans... You would be surprise how the french people love the US, especially since Obama !

Anyway, the xbox brand is weak in europe (except UK) because of the lack of software that match people tastes. And during the PS1/PS2 era, France was Playstationland, so there's a stong brand loyalty to Sony in the young adults crowd.

And concerning the Wii U numbers, it seems pretty good considering that the ads were confusing, and given the difficult economical context.

Interesting, where did you get the October figure from?
http://www.gamescharts.fr/2012/11/les-ventes-de-la-3ds-en-france/

"Le directeur général adjoint de Nintendo France, Philippe Lavoué, nous a communiqué l’information lors de la Paris Game Week. La Nintendo 3DS accumule à ce jour un total de 1 240 000 exemplaires vendus en France, selon les chiffres de GfK. En juin dernier, la console venait de dépassait le million. Au sujet de la Wii U, Philippe Lavoué déclare prévoir un stock de 240 000 exemplaires qui sera distribué pour la fin de l’année en France. Attention, ce nombre ne représente pas le stock de lancement mais bien ce qui sera normalement distribué entre la sortie de la console, le 30 novembre, et la fin du mois de décembre."

That article is from 01.11.2012, so the numbers should be until the end of October 2012.

We already had numbers for 2011, so I subtracted 2011 YTD from October 12 LTD to get the 2012 YTD.

Laguna

Banned
It´s funny to see all this "damage control" every time there is good news about Nintendo. But but France doesn´t count because...

Not a bad launch. Well, Japanese and to a lesser extent US launch weren't bad either. The big problem comes after the holiday season, we know that Wii U has already collapsed in Japan.

Last year 3DS sold 761.000 units in France.

The lack of new titles is really harmful.

The 3DS effect all over again.

PaulLFC

It´s funny to see all this "damage control" every time there is good news about Nintendo. But but France doesn´t count because...
Except from what I've read, there is no damage control. Just logical thoughts such as "given it's the holiday season AND launch sales, that number is good but not astounding".

If anything, it's funnier to see people immediately jump to attack anyone who says anything of the sort as having some sort of agenda against the console or Nintendo.

Considering we heard many estimates saying sub 100K in all of Europe and most of GAF was basically not counting Europe when tallying Wii U sales, I'd say its much better than we thought.

Edit: Just so I'm clear, the estimates were from our GAF experts.

name & shame please

educator

Does anyone know how many units have been sold in Scandinavia? That's Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway, they are probably accounted for together.

AOC83

Banned

If you consider 120K for launch and christmas in Nintendos strongest market in Europe good news, you´ll have plenty of fun in the coming months.

If you consider 120K for launch and christmas in Nintendos strongest market in Europe good news, you´ll have plenty of fun in the coming months.
Wii had 180.000 units.

Wii U is almost 100 € more expensive (no one want's the basic bundle), so 120.000 units are good for December.

The question is how the following months are going to be.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii had 180.000 units.

Wii U is almost 100 € more expensive (no one want's the basic bundle), so 120.000 units are good for December.

In fact...
I mean, as for Japanes market: all complaining about the debut weeks because the following months will be (already are, we are in January...) very bad...

I can't understand why we can admit that the launch numbers are not as good as thw Wii ones but not SO BAD to force Nintendo going third party (LOL), even if we clearly admit at the same time that the following months with such a poor release date list (with not so many games and even some important deleay) will be simply terrible.

Plus, I think there are two factor keys that many people are forgetting.

WiiU is 100€ more expensive than Wii and economy in Europe is fucked up.

Shito

They shipped 240k units for launch.
Probably right: after the first few days, there really was no shortage of WiiU here.
For the people wanting to draw comparisons with the Wii launch numbers: you could find a basic WiiU or a premium one everywhere a week after its launch, which was not the case AT ALL for the Wii.

Yeah, there's like almost no iPhones and iPads in France, cause we don't like americans... You would be surprise how the french people love the US, especially since Obama !

Anyway, the xbox brand is weak in europe (except UK) because of the lack of software that match people tastes. And during the PS1/PS2 era, France was Playstationland, so there's a stong brand loyalty to Sony in the young adults crowd.

And concerning the Wii U numbers, it seems pretty good considering that the ads were confusing, and given the difficult economical context.

Yep exactly. Xbox is still looked by many as the PC players console... specific games are attached to PS3 even if present on Xbox 360 (Fifa, GTA, Final Fantasy...) and the top of mind video game brand is still Nintendo.

Also it may be a little better for Wii U sales by the end of Q1, I've seen many Wii U stands in shopping centers around Paris and it was a big part of Nintendo's strategy for the Wii : "just try it, you'll like it".

Laguna

Banned

WiiU sold 120k in December therefore had a good start, it seems like you just don´t like the idea that WiiU had a good launch in France. Don´t know what the coming months have to do with the available data, other then moving your goalpost and "damage control".

Backflip

Dude, I'm French, and I live in France. I know there is an anti-American sentiment in France (even though most French people won't admit it, even when you tell them just after they said something clearly anti-Americain). Things have gotten better of the last few years, but I still see/hear stuff that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand.

AOC83

Banned
Wii had 180.000 units.

The Wii was completely sold out and could´ve sold easily twice as much if it had been available.

As i mentioned earlier, the PS3 sold about 600.000 in the launchweek (in all of Europa of course)alone. And that was in march and for a price of 600€.

Then factor in that Nintendo launches are typically very frontloaded (see N64 and Gamecube for example) and Nintendo predicting to sell 5.5 million consoles worldwide by the end of march. These numbers are bad for Nintendo and they will get even worse in the next months.

marc^o^

Dude, I'm French, and I live in France. I know there is an anti-American sentiment in France (even though most French people won't admit it, even when you tell them just after they said something clearly anti-Americain). Things have gotten better of the last few years, but I still see/hear stuff that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand.
I'm french and I don't feel this AT ALL. Mocking Bush =/= being anti americain, you're mixing things up.

The americain dream/culture is as strong here as anywhere else, moreso amongst <40 years old.

Majmun

WiiU has sold 2/3 of Wii numbers.

Not bad but not as good as Wii.

Just that.

Let's see how it manages to survive till E3.

The Wii had massive shortages during that period. It would've sold more. The WiiU can be found everywhere.

Plus, I think there are two factor keys that many people are forgetting.

WiiU is 100€ more expensive than Wii and economy in Europe is fucked up.

Doesn't stop people from buying expensive smartphones and tablets...

E-phonk

Banned
Nintendo will never make their 5.5m, I don't think anyone disagrees. Certainly not with their release schedule as it is.

antonz

Given the masses of stock? Should have easily done 150k.

Not really.PS3 only managed around 80k and they shipped several hundred thousand at launch in France

People need to FORGET the Wii. If we are gonna be comparing every console going forward to the kind of retarded success it had we are gonna be bombing every console for years to come.

The Wii U is going to follow a very similar path to the PS3/360. Its launching reasonably well but the drought is going to kick its ass for awhile

Striek

PS3 launch was 81k for the first week in France. Can't find a X360 number.
Thanks for the link.

Interesting anyway. I've been saying it for a while but more interesting and more important than the Wii U (to Nintendo, IMO) is the 3DS performance. Its at least a positive performance to be up in France YoY in the holidays, even if only be a smidge. I think from this + the other data we have they are very unlikely to meet their FY projections though (US dragging them down bigtime doesn't help).

Edit:
Not really.PS3 only managed around 80k and they shipped several hundred thousand at launch in France

One week vs. one month though.

The Wii was completely sold out and could´ve sold easily twice as much if it had been available.
We can speculate days about potential sales, we won't ever know it.

As i mentioned earlier, the PS3 sold about 600.000 in the launchweek (in all of Europa of course)alone. And that was in march and for a price of 600&#8364;.
PS3 is a special case. Example: It did 165.000 in the UK opening weekend, Wii did 105.000 units in the same timefrime in the holiday season, I doubt that you would say that the Wii had bad numbers?

And Sony shipped 1.000.000 units.

Then factor in that Nintendo launches are typically very frontloaded (see N64 and Gamecube for example) and Nintendo predicting to sell 5.5 million consoles worldwide by the end of march. These numbers are bad for Nintendo and they will get even worse in the next months.
I doubt that you have monthly France numbers for GCN & N64.

Anyway, I didn't deny, that the Wii U numbers in Q1 won't be good.

Top Bottom