• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales in France: 120k in 2012

Not particularly...no. I was under the impression the discussion had been about mainland Europe. It's well known that the UK is the biggest gaming market in the EU (or at least it was, fuck knows if it still is).

Do you have French numbers for DS and PSP too? Thanks :)
frpr.PNG

"+" = combined with the following year

PSV first two months:
42.000 (Feb 12)
24.000 (Mar 12)

Not particularly...no. I was under the impression the discussion had been about mainland Europe. It's well known that the UK is the biggest gaming market in the EU (or at least it was, fuck knows if it still is).

Well, when I mocking people for pretending France was the biggest market in EU for Nintendo, I was obviously referencing the biggest market, so UK, not the one fighting over the 2nd place...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I xouldn't bet on it, UK market collapsed.

300k wasn't all Europe, just the "major" markets. But yeah, that figure looks too low even for that given these French sales.

Well I guess it depends what you count as major markets :D I'd say if you only count the biggest 5 (UK/France/Germany/Spain/Italy) then 300k is possible. It's still probably higher, but not by that much.

PaulLFC

What are you talking about? There is a difference between looking after available facts and looking after some bullshit.
You claimed you've seen this "100k for all of Europe" prediction from "GAF experts", that is talked about yet nobody seems to be able to provide definitive proof of said post(s)' existence. He simply asked you to link to this post you say you've seen - which, if you've seen it, shouldn't be too difficult with a member search. You declined, which doesn't really help your argument, and casts more doubt on the existence of this 100k post or posts.

The only times I've seen 100k mentioned have been, as already mentioned above, when talking about the UK alone - and they would be generous, as it's unlikely the console has even reached that amount over here.

Using Smokers lovely numbers (thank you kindly)

France 2012:
Total Home Consoles DOWN 27.88%

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385051/uk-console-sales-dropped-by-a-third-in-2012/

UK 2012
Total Home Consoles DOWN 34.1%

So 6.2% points better in France than the UK in that year.
Neither include handhelds, unlike in the UK the 3DS was up yoy in France.

Now does this mean the UK market has 'collapsed' - well certainly if we take everything into account (e.g. handhelds +consoles) its pretty certain. As it stands though its maybe just a rebalancing.

Still UK is hardly a gaming fortress and the sales are not going 'elsewhere':
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/overall-uk-games-market-down-17-4-in-2012/0108783

Did the above get a thread? It has digital sales info that could be really interesting, might post one later.
EDIT: Here has been.

DrWong

Thread bump. Don't know (don't think) it deserves a new thread.

So, some numbers regarding 2012, from an interview (done in mid-January) of Philippe Lavoué, "Directeur général adjoint" of Nintendo France. This interview is not available online, published in the latest issue of the JDLI (Journal des loisirs interactif), a printed magazine dedicated to the interactive entertainment industry.

Just to let you know: the Fr. website Gamekult just reported some of these datas today. I'm reporting the full stuff here, directly from the magazine.

Wii U >

- 118 000 Wii U sold (65% of the Wii sales for the same period)
- Wii U + Wii sales, for the 5 last weeks of 2012, is up to 34% compared to the same period in 2006 (I assume Wii + Gamecube).
- 372 000 Wii sold in 2012. Installed base is at 6 161 000.
- Premium Pack accounted for 90% of the Wii U sales.
- Wii U sales per pack: 75% is Nintendo Land pack, 15% for the Zombi U pack and 10% for the Basic pack.

3DS >

- 1.7 millions 3DS sold in France.
- 3DS is the system which sold the most in France in 2012: 947 000 units (it represents slightly more than 1 console for 3 sold for this entire year).
- 3DS buisness (system, games, accessories...) is 41% up in 2012.
- 3DS hardware is 20% up in value. 3DS software is 88% up in value.
- Since its launch the 3DS XL represents 70% of the 3DS sales.
- More than 40% of the 3DS userbase are girls/women.

3DS softwares:
- Mario Kart 7 LTD: 623 000 units
- Super Mario 3D Land: 584 000 units
- Nintendogs + Cats: 333 000 units
- NSMB 2 (released in August): 400 000 units
- Pr. Layton and the Miracle Mask (released in October): 142 000
- Style Savvy: Trendsetters (released in November): 85 000

3DS 3rd parties performance for 2012:
- Warner Bros. Int.: 333% up.
- Disney: 287% up.
- Activision 67% up.
- Ubisoft, "already well positioned": 18% up.

Great additional data, thanks DrWong. :)

If Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask has similar sales in the rest of Europe it could be a million seller worldwide, if not, I'm sure it's going to become one until the end of the year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They should bundle Land in the basic, and start bundling other "core" games in the Premium.
Very solid 3DS sales, good also for Layton.

Jackano

The Wii U basic pack situation is really a mess. I don't even think they are gonna product more of this very soon. Or maybe they will end up to "relaunch" it with Nintendo Land later this year.

Edit: beaten, took a pause while typing this post. Dawned gaffing at work; Or working while being on GAF!

keuja

That's true. What I don't understand though, is the fact that most French people won't admit that there is some anti-americanism in France.

It is mild and only from a minority I'd say.

On topic, France is Playstation territory. I believe it's pure unadultered Japan / Sony fanboyism. The sleeck playstation is considered "cool", the Xbox 360 not so much... And France has loved its Manga and Anime for a looong time, well before the US actually (started late 70s, early 80s with Goldorak, San Ku Kai, X-or etc). Even co-created a few of them.

ozfunghi

Just read the first page... but...

France doesn't count because historically it has been the most pro-Nintendo country in Europe? But UK does (or did in many "lol-wiiu" threads past) count, eventhough it has always been the most anti-Nintendo country in Europe, right?

More just the basic pack is terrible value

Yep. They need a single SKU.
Black, bundled with NSMBU, 32GB. Keep some of the extra plastic but there are like two stands for the gamepad which is overkill.

Just read the first page... but...

France doesn't count because historically it has been the most pro-Nintendo country in Europe? But UK does (or did in many "lol-wiiu" threads past) count, eventhough it has always been the most anti-Nintendo country in Europe, right?

French numbers are not anything to shout about for WiiU.
3DS? Yeah. But the likes of Cheebo will probably still spout nonsense about Japan being the only place its truly successful.

Based on 3DS numbers alone it is clear that the UK is not very preferable to the headline Nintendo games. We'll see what this year holds with a different skew in terms of releases.

Will pose a big problem for WiiU in the country though; but Mario Kart should still have an effect I feel.

ozfunghi

French numbers are not anything to shout about for WiiU.
3DS? Yeah. But the likes of Cheebo will probably still spout nonsense about Japan being the only place its truly successful.

Based on 3DS numbers alone it is clear that the UK is not very preferable to the headline Nintendo games. We'll see what this year holds with a different skew in terms of releases.

Will pose a big problem for WiiU in the country though; but Mario Kart should still have an effect I feel.

That wasn't really the point. It's just that sales are better than expected and brushed off because it's France. But when sales are worse than expected (in the UK), no mind is paid to the region. UK has always been anti-Nintendo. This goes back to before Sony entered the market.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If 3DS did this well in France last year, I think it could do some unbelievable numbers this year.

Mael

Well told ya that 3DS wasn't doing so bad!
In France to boot!
Once again we prove we have superior taste to our jelly eating friends ;)

Also about the gaming taste of the general public, yeah we REALLY like what Japan has to offer as far as games go.
The country always looked toward the east so to speak (kudos (and a danish) to anyone who have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about here)

- Since its launch the 3DS XL represents 70% of the 3DS sales.

As suspected from the first set of numbers released for the time, NoE has managed to successfully launch the XL along with NSMB2; whilst NoA has struggled to keep the momentum.

Well told ya that 3DS wasn't doing so bad!
In France to boot!
Once again we prove we have superior taste to our jelly eating friends ;)

Also about the gaming taste of the general public, yeah we REALLY like what Japan has to offer as far as games go.
The country always looked toward the east so to speak (kudos (and a danish) to anyone who have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about here)

As a Swiss person I know that our French neighbours love them some manga and I wouldn't be surprised if Tezuka was a huge influence on the BD scene.

Mael

As suspected from the first set of numbers released for the time, NoE has managed to successfully launch the XL along with NSMB2; whilst NoA has struggled to keep the momentum.

NoA had problem making stuffs like Layton a success so yeah they'll suck with the XL too.
Also Inazuma is doing mighty fine here, we even got the tv show, mangas and all.

As a Swiss person I know that our French neighbours love them some manga and I wouldn't be surprised if Tezuka was a huge influence on the BD scene.

If you're talking about the modern BD scene, maybe (and even I'll argue Toriyama is a bigger influence).
But I'd doubt that it would be the case for earlier BDs, I mean calling something "manga" is an insult in the French design (and I mean design as in BD/animation/VG and all). Most people will claim that Belgo-French BDs are above that.
It's in the meantime hugely popular (2nd biggest market behind Japan?) among the younger crowd (and the younger crowd that grew up on that).
Also we're neighbourg.

If 3DS did this well in France last year, I think it could do some unbelievable numbers this year.
Quoting myself:

frpr.PNG

If 3DS does 1.300.000 - 1.700.000 units it should be at 3.000.000 - 3.400.000 units at the end of it's third year.

NDS was at 4.400.000 in the exact same timeframe (both released in March).

That wouldn't be quite NDS - level of sales (especially 2008 was NDSs strongest year and not included in this), but 3DS could end up with 50% - 70% of NDS-sales, hopefully the latter one. ;)

Mael

Quoting myself:

frpr.PNG

If 3DS does 1.300.000 - 1.700.000 units it should be at 3.000.000 - 3.400.000 units at the end of it's third year.

NDS was at 4.400.000 in the exact same timeframe (both released in March).

That wouldn't be quite NDS - level of sales (especially 2008 was NDSs strongest year and not included in this), but 3DS could end up with 50% - 70% of NDS-sales, hopefully the latter one. ;)
I don't think they have any hope of replicating DS or even Wii with their current systems.
I mean they're their best selling hardware here by a good country mile.
To put it in perspective their presence before was anecdotal.
Both should do better than most of their hardware before.
Sweden here. I know one person with a Wii U. One.

Unless you know a pretty large portion of the buying public...

Mael

it is a similar ratio as in the US but upside down. Why does us seem to hate ps3 ?

To be fair France not liking 360 isn't exactly a surprise (although we seem to have a boner for leaking Halo games?) I mean the whole Gold service is utter horseshit here.
There's no added value and people don't exactly like getting fleeced either.

tzare

To be fair France not liking 360 isn't exactly a surprise (although we seem to have a boner for leaking Halo games?) I mean the whole Gold service is utter horseshit here.
There's no added value and people don't exactly like getting fleeced either.

Well, those 360 numbers do not seem bad at all to me. I agree with gold being shit in euroland, at least in the continent

Mael

Well, those 360 numbers do not seem bad at all to me. I agree with gold being shit in euroland, at least in the continent

It's not good really, it's doing worse than Wii that had nothing of note being released this year.
I mean the last meaningful support Nintendo gave it was Project Zero 2 remake in June!

Jackano

Whoa, not in any way stunning but much better than I expected. From all the brouhaha about flopping in Europe, I expected half that in a territory like France.

Still a overwhelmingly lukewarm reception though.

On an separate note, why does France seem to hate the 360??

it is a similar ratio as in the US but upside down. Why does us seem to hate ps3 ?

Strongs IPs like PES (at the beginning of the gen), MGS, FF and even GTA, are still widely perceived as playstation franchises, even if they all gone multiplatform now. Explains the ps3>Xbox360 here.

Xbox360 is a US made system. Explains the X360>ps3 in the USA.

The situation is more complicated than that, but IMO that's something that greatly count.

tzare

It's not good really, it's doing worse than Wii that had nothing of note being released this year.
I mean the last meaningful support Nintendo gave it was Project Zero 2 remake in June!
Yes, last year was worse, probably due to mostly casuals buying consoles so late into this generation and 360 being not enough known+paywall for casual online play, but overall good performance this generation.

DrWong said:
- 118 000 Wii U sold (65% of the Wii sales for the same period)
- Wii U + Wii sales, for the 5 last weeks of 2012, is up to 34% compared to the same period in 2006 (I assume Wii + Gamecube).
Considering GameCube was nearing nil worldwide by Wii launch, sounds like Wii and Wii U were putting up similar numbers late 2012, much as in the US.

Top Bottom