• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales in France: 120k in 2012

Dude, I'm French, and I live in France. I know there is an anti-American sentiment in France (even though most French people won't admit it, even when you tell them just after they said something clearly anti-Americain). Things have gotten better of the last few years, but I still see/hear stuff that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand.

French and don't feel this AT ALL. Where do you live? o_O

Wii had 180.000 units.

Wii U is almost 100 € more expensive (no one want's the basic bundle) so 120.000 units are good for December.

Besides Wii U has been not advertised at all, let alone I have never seen a demo kiosk yet.

The question is how the following months are going to be.

Exactly, let's wait and see how this is going to perform next year, much depending on what Nintendo is going to announce and their long-term strategy for the platform - provided they have one.

Jackano

I think the influence of the economy is not nearly as big as people assume. If you have a compelling product it'll still sell well.

For gamers maybe; For the mass market, there is no way, at Christmas 2012, people buy the most expensive system on the market, and/or casual gamers will buy a Wii U in the same way they bought a Wii in 2006.
And even for gamers... With less money, there is no way we will ever see again the "Wii60" memes, for example.

Backflip

I'm french and I don't feel this AT ALL. Mocking Bush =/= being anti americain, you're mixing things up.

The americain dream/culture is as strong here as anywhere else, moreso amongst <40 years old.

Where did I write anything about Bush?

There are more things that I care to write about. But the fact that most French people refer to them as "les ricains" or always make fun of them for being fat or for their "lack of culture and/or education" is proof enough for me.

The Wii had massive shortages during that period. It would've sold more. The WiiU can be found everywhere.

Doesn't stop people from buying expensive smartphones and tablets...

So, the fact that WiiU is more expensive isnt something to account?

Smartphones and tablets are in a large price range and mobile operators usually fund them with incentive plans.

Laguna

Banned

There are more things that I care to write about. But the fact that most French people refer to them as "les ricains" or always make fun of them for being fat or for their "lack of culture and/or education" is proof enough for me.

Oh please stop it. Most French just consider X360 to be the inferior HD twin and BluRay movies is a factor to consider, just deal with it.

It's not specifically about America anyway. Microsoft found themselves hated by a significant number of continental Europeans thanks to the EU anti competition case and the latter massive fines (and Microsoft's failure to pay them, which was seen as arrogance).

Never came off that way in the UK (we really aren't fans of the EU as a general rule), but you could see in brand power and trust surveys that Microsoft's reputation got CRUSHED in the EU.

I think that the Wii U numbers aren't as bad as many people see them, but they aren't great either.

But Q1 numbers should be quite bad if Nintendo doesn't invest in some big marketing campaigns (which I don't suppose).

Anyway, I feel like their priority is the second half of 2012, especially because X720 and PS4 should be released/shown then.
This strategy is bad in short-term, but better for long-term-sales, they need a strong lineup to compete against the new consoles.

But they overestimated the launch numbers, I believe they thought this would run smoother.

Furthermore, their numbers 1 priority seems to be the 3DS currently, they can't change much for Wii U anyway (aside from marketing).

Better than expected sales for both WiiU and 3DS. We are probably looking at 400-500k for Europe and 2012 for WiiU. That's still not exactly stellar, but a good bit better than extrapolated/expected from the UK launch sales and the software rankings.

Edit: No way is Nintendo even gonna come close to that 5.5m figure until March. They are probably below 2.5m sold through until the end of 2012, so even sth. unrealistic like ~800k sell through (say: 300k NA, 300k Europe, 200k Japan, again: not gonna happen) wouldn't get them there without massively overshipping the thing.

I do think that Nintendo's priority right now is 3DS though. They have a pretty good lineup for NA and Europe more or less for the rest of the year and the 3DS should definitely sell 20m+ the next FY.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, Holiday season 2012 better than 2011 in France confirmed. And this with a worse Holiday lineup. I can't even imagine what kind of numbers the console will do this Holiday with Pokémon coming.

Well, at least in France, probably GREAT numbers.

DrWong

Ok Wii U numbers. Good 3DS numbers. Now let's wait for Nintendo next moves.

Edit:
I think that the Wii U numbers aren't as bad as many people see them, but they aren't great either.

But Q1 numbers should be quite bad if Nintendo doesn't invest in some big marketing campaigns (which I don't suppose).

Anyway, I feel like their priority is the second half of 2012, especially because X720 and PS4 should be released/shown then.
This strategy is bad in short-term, but better for long-term-sales, they need a strong lineup to compete against the new consoles.

But they overestimated the launch numbers, I believe they thought this would run smoother.

Furthermore, their numbers 1 priority seems to be the 3DS currently, they can't change much for Wii U anyway (aside from marketing).

Clever. I agree.

"Les ricains" is not a bad word and seriously where do you come from?!? There is no such things where I live and work.

And the "fat" thing is a cliché but not everyone is making this stupid generalisation... lack of culture is the same... and there are the same type of things in every country. Just don't take things too seriously. In American Dad, South Park, Family Guy and many other shows there are jokes about France, UK, Germany or a lot of different countries. That doesn't make the person behind these shows anti-french -_-

Just see the top products in electronics, the top brands in clothes, the top TV shows... where is your anti-american thing? (sorry for the derail but I really don't see the need to bring this up in this thread mostly when it's not true).

Persona86

Banned
What was the numbers on PS3 in the first few months? I remember there being a lack of PS3 interest at the time.

Wii U should be perfectly fine when more games come out and there's a price cut. That's what I'm waiting for before I buy it, along with most other people who's interested.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

I thought you'd have talked about guns legislation. There are subjects where french people want to give lessons. The other way around is certainly true too.

But there's no way this translates into an anti american movement AT ALL. French people not buying products because they are american is simply wrong.

Majmun

So, the fact that WiiU is more expensive isnt something to account?

Sure, price will always matter. But as mentioned before, I don't think we should compare the WiiU with the Wii launch at all.

The Wii was huge. Everyone wanted it. Shortages lasted for months. The pricing was better. But people were paying double in the second had market. Why? Mainly for Wii Sports.

The WiiU is different. It has no "killer app". There is no hype.The WiiU is just another Nintendo console, just like the N64 and the Gamecube were before. I personally think that it won't do much better than the N64.

Backflip

Oh please stop it. Most French just consider X360 to be the inferior HD twin and BluRay movies is a factor to consider, just deal with it.

I'm not saying the 360 doesn't sell as well as the PS3 because of anti-americanism. I just think that it didn't help it at first (and by that I mean at the time of the OG Xbox's launch).

Now, I don't believe French gamers consider the 360 to be the inferior product. But I do believe that the Sony fanboyism is rampant here (the comments I see on the various websites and Twitter/Facebook don't lie).

AOC83

Banned
We can speculate days about potential sales, we won't ever know it.

Considering the Wii was sold out completely for months this is a pretty save bet.

PS3 is a special case. Example: It did 165.000 in the UK opening weekend, Wii did 105.000 units in the same timefrime in the holiday season, I doubt that you would say that the Wii had bad numbers?

And Sony shipped 1.000.000 units.

The Wii would have sold way more if it had been available.

I doubt that you have monthly France numbers for GCN & N64.

Anyway, I didn't deny, that the Wii U numbers in Q1 won't be good.

That´s a world wide phenomenon, both the N64 and Gamecube had decent/good launches, but things only went downhill from there.

Backflip

I thought you'd have talked about guns legislation. There are subjects where french people want to give lessons. The other way around is certainly true too.

But there's no way this translates into an anti american movement AT ALL. French people not buying products because they are american is simply wrong.

You can tell me that you never read stuff like: "I'd rather buy a Japanese than an American console," or "here are the Americans trying to buy the console market"?

Anti-american remarks are so frequent that most French people don't even hear them anymore. Have you ever watched the French TV show Télé Matin? Its host and journalists can be heard saying anti-american things almost daily. And it's just one example.

Busty

Banned
Is this one of those GAF Sales Age situations where everyone is walking on egg shells in an effort to not cause too much of a ruckus because those numbers seem abysmal to me.

System launched during the busiest shopping period of the year with no perceived supply problems and (presumably) some fanfare in the media and 120k is all they manage to sell?

Dreadful.

Yeah France is japan's whore.

I think that's quite enough GAF for one day young man.

Log off and go outside for a walk.

There is no hype.The WiiU is just another Nintendo console, just like the N64 and the Gamecube were before. I personally think that it won't do much better than the N64.

Wait. Didn't the N64 sell something like 60 million + units worldwide? If you could guarantee that number of sold WiiU units to Nintendo right now they'd take your hand clean off at the wrist.

I think it may end up closer to the (and my beloved) Gamecube in terms of WW sales numbers than the N64 IMHO

orioto

Good Art™

That's certainly not a problem among the gamer population i think and not something you can find in the <40 segment.

The simple reason 360 isn't popular here is that gamers are more heavily influenced by past generations i would say, and japan love. I clearly remember the first xbox being a "wtf" for us, like a weird curiosity.

But Microsoft did progress a lot in two generations.

I think that's quite enough GAF for one day young man.

Log off and go outside for a walk.

Oh the figure of speech was for the fun don't worry.
France isn't the second manga reader in the world for nothing.

AOC83

Banned
The WiiU is different. It has no "killer app". There is no hype.The WiiU is just another Nintendo console, just like the N64 and the Gamecube were before. I personally think that it won't do much better than the N64.

Dependent on Nintendos reactions i´m expecting the WiiU to sell somewhere between Gamecube an N64.

marc^o^

Sorry I don't watch a 65 years old abject presenter TV show. And all people I know love US TV shows, dream of New York and San Francisco, wear american clothes and shoes, listen to US music and eat american food.

Backflip

The simple reason 360 isn't popular here is that gamers are more heavily influenced by past generations i would say, and japan love. I clearly remember the first xbox being a "wtf" for us, like a weird curiosity.

But Microsoft did progress a lot in two generations.

Agreed.

liger05

I expected less for the Wii U.

Nintendo need to capitalise on the 3DS momentum. Get some definite localisation dates for starters. Games that are due out in the US should see European releases at the same time. No excuses!!

Where are the vita numbers?

Busty

Banned
Oh the figure of speech was for the fun don't worry.
France isn't the second manga reader in the world for nothing.

Ahhh, very well. You may stayed logged into GAF then........., but I still want you to go outside and have a walk at some point today.

:p

Sure, price will always matter. But as mentioned before, I don't think we should compare the WiiU with the Wii launch at all.

The Wii was huge. Everyone wanted it. Shortages lasted for months. The pricing was better. But people were paying double in the second had market. Why? Mainly for Wii Sports.

Well, I agree that WiiU launch is different than Wii's, that for sure.

Terra

What was the numbers on PS3 in the first few months? I remember there being a lack of PS3 interest at the time.

The lack of interest in the PS3 was closely connected with the price tag, and at the same time, you had PS2 still doing great and fine games (God of War) for its time.

The lack of interest for the Wii U is harder to narrow down. It isn't VERY expensive. At the same time, the games list is not very well populated, the name is confusing and there are no real Nintendo flagships on the horizon. I am worried as a gamer for what this might mean for Nintendo. At the same time, this is a company that has aces up their sleeves. Would be nice if they decided to play them though...

Backflip

Sorry I don't watch a 65 years old abject presenter TV show. And all people I know love US TV shows, dream of New York and San Francisco, wear american clothes and shoes, listen to US music and eat american food.

So do the people I know. But you can't say that your friends/family represent the whole population. I'll give you another example. Back in "collège" one of my teachers asked me to hide the American flag I had on my sweater. Why would he do something like that?

marc^o^

So do the people I know. But you can't say that your friends/family represent the whole population. I'll give you another example. Back in "collège" one of my teachers asked me to hide the American flag I had on my sweater. Why would he do something like that?
Didn't the classroom send eggs at her? She would probably be fired for doing that nowdays.

orioto

Good Art™
Hey guys, we're so fan of americans that every news channel is opening right now with lance armstrong's ophra interview, when we're in a fucking war with terrorists!

Hey guys, we're so fan of americans that every news channel is opening right now with lance armstrong's ophra interview, when we're in a fucking war with terrorists!

I imagine that must be huge news over there at the moment. (Armstrong, not the terrorists)

marc^o^

I imagine that must be huge news over there at the moment. (Armstrong, not the terrorists)
You have no idea!
_44022668_beret_getty.jpg

Krabardaf

The french generally like japanese games.
I'm not so sure about this. But around here any console is basically a playstation for most people, so yeah...Only the Wii may have tempered that.

On topic, im' impressed by the sales, I wonder how it'll evolve.

The Wii U is going to follow a very similar path to the PS3/360. Its launching reasonably well but the drought is going to kick its ass for awhile
I do not believe this. When PS4/720 will be out, Nintendo will have a really hard time to market its console. It won't have the high tech argument anymore, it'll probably loose many third party support, and it didn't bring a major breakthrough in user experience like the wii did.

Persona86

Banned
The lack of interest in the PS3 was closely connected with the price tag, and at the same time, you had PS2 still doing great and fine games (God of War) for its time.

The lack of interest for the Wii U is harder to narrow down. It isn't VERY expensive. At the same time, the games list is not very well populated, the name is confusing and there are no real Nintendo flagships on the horizon. I am worried as a gamer for what this might mean for Nintendo. At the same time, this is a company that has aces up their sleeves. Would be nice if they decided to play them though...
People used to say PS3 has no games and laugh, that was also a big factor.

Yeah it's not really the price, it really is the games, no 3D Mario, No zelda, No other big names, no random gems like Bayonetta 2 etc Once we get more announcements and the games start coming out, the WiiU will be on a roll. Along with a price cut and it will be a console worth spending money on.

The name is confusing, but the confused people will start to get less confused once more games get in the spotlight along with them seeing more advertising.

Nintendo definitely has a few aces up their sleeve, I have a feeling around E3 they will show us their 4 of a kind Aces.

Dude, I'm French, and I live in France. I know there is an anti-American sentiment in France (even though most French people won't admit it, even when you tell them just after they said something clearly anti-Americain). Things have gotten better of the last few years, but I still see/hear stuff that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand.

I have dual citizenships and from what I've seen the French and Americans have a very bizarre love/hate relationship. The anti-American sentiment matches the anti-French sentiment among many Americans, but I've also always found that both cultures have a profound, untold, almost shameful respect for one another.

Enough countries to make "sub 100k in all of Europe" the dumbest claim in the history of Sales-Age.

nobody ever said that and you guys look silly for repeating it

we had reports of 40k for UK launch week and 60ish k for france almost a month ago.

The sub 100k talk is for UK only.

Laguna

Banned
3DS continues to laugh in the face of its apparent destruction.

Talking about 3DS... Where are PSVs numbers? It´s interesting that no one even mentioned this system in this thread. Basically we have informations for every system since X360 launched and only PSV is MIA.

Top Bottom