• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

Tagg9

IMO: APU $100, ram $50 [way less if its WideIO on interposer], bluray $30, hdd ~$40, rest $150-180 [mobo, psu, southbridge stuff, cooling, manufacturing] . It will be profitable at $400, or sold at minimal loss.

You're forgetting motion controller and camera stuff.

How can this cost $400, when the PS3 still sells for $250?

PS3 uses a lot of custom-made parts that were initially expensive to make. The price to manufacture has likely come down to ~$150 now, but because of the Cell's complexity there's a limit to how cheap they can make it.

i-Lo

How does 18 texture units compare to modern graphics cards?

Orbis' GPU is supposed to be based on Pitcairn and was supposed to sit somewhere between 7850 and 7870 which the CU count shows. However, its texture unit is less than half, yes, less than half of Cape Verde GPU 7770 which has 40.

Err, ps1 and ps2 classics are emulated, not ported. That example actually proves you wrong.

Contrary to popular belief, selling ISO dumps of classic games is more profitable than porting those games individually and selling them.
PS1 classics are emulated, PS2 classics are ported (using some sort of simple wrapper, IIRC, so it's possible the ISO is still a part of it), HD Remasters are fully ported.

Eideka

Banned
you can't compare consoles to PCs. 1.84tflops on a console is capable of more than that in relative terms.

We know 1.84tflops can produce wonderful results in a console environment, but the underlying point here is that PC gamers should be set if they have capable hardware. No crazy upgrades needed this time it seems.

No matter how much "magical optimization" goes into the console version of a multiplat game, the PC should end up on top on reasonable 2012 hardware....

And yeah grief is right there are monsters on the way in the PC space...Nvidia hurry up !

Vinci

Danish
They both have to hit $399. That's the ballgame, not what motion crap is standard.

Kinect is probably one of the strongest consumer devices MS has ever produced. It is the reason why the 360 has seen such strong sales even years after its launch. Now, you think MS is going to ignore that?

$350 is not some magic number. Kinect, however, provided a massive boost for the system even with lukewarm support since its a peripheral.

There is no way in hell that MS will launch a new system without Kinect packed in. To do that to hit some ideal pricepoint would be idiotic.

tipoo

Banned
And when you consider that the playstation 4 is designed to last another 7-10 years that amount of RAM looks extremely and i mean extremely pitiful.

In an ideal world they should be targetting upwards of 8gb.

Sony electronics should really take charge here instead of SCEE.

They have to make cost tradeoffs. GDDR5 is more expensive than plain DDR3, obviously they thought the higher bandwidth was worth the lower total capacity. Modern game engines on PC aren't even using 3.5GB (or lets say 3GB, since some would go to video RAM) while fully decked out, while 256mb on the PS3 was already pretty measly compared to the PC side of things when that launched.

I think it will be fine on RAM at least, it will do better there than the PS3 did at least.

Orbis' GPU is supposed to be based on Pitcairn and was supposed to sit somewhere between 7850 and 7870 which the CU count shows. However, its texture unit is less than half, yes, less than half of Cape Verde GPU 7770 which has 40.

that's why i dont believe any of these reveals and insider information

Durante

I think the most interesting "new" part in this are the Extras, but there isn't really a lot of information there. However:

- Audio Processor (ACP)
Should take some signal processing load off the CPU, which is good considering its relative weakness at that task compared to Cell.

- Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Really interesting if we could get across-the-board support for low-latency streaming to Vita.

- Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
I guess this time around the Sony console won't have a disadvantage in scaling.

- Zlib Decompression Hardware
Certainly interesting for loading and streaming.

GeoramA

The console will cost more than $400 at launch.
biu9WMt.png

lenovox1

Man that gif is depressing :(

So tech gaf is this good or bad? I'm not planning buying a 720, I love my 360 but MS is full of BS these days.

Could you reasonably say that, on paper, it's got a good 3-4x more oomph than the Wii U does with a more developer-friendly processor? That means nothing without having seen any games, but I'd guess that it be able to handle current top of the line PC games with all de effects. That's always good.

McHuj

It's not. I made the same mistake, multiply by 4.

tipoo

Banned
How can this cost $400, when the PS3 still sells for $250?

For one the PS3s are now sold for a profit I think, the PS4 would probably be sold at cost or at a small loss (not talking early PS3 levels of course). Now that the PS3 is cheap to make they want to milk some profits out of the hardware. Plus the PS3 still needs much of the same components, hard drives, blu ray drives etc as the PS4 would need. So I'd think they could do it in 150 dollars more.

Concept17

IMO: APU $100, ram $50 [way less if its WideIO on interposer], bluray $30, hdd ~$40, rest $150-180 [mobo, psu, southbridge stuff, cooling, manufacturing] . It will be profitable at $400, or sold at minimal loss.

I imagine it would be a minimal loss with plans to turn a profit much earlier than the PS3 started to.

I just don't see either console doing well above the 399 mark.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Some stuff like the silly AVX compatibility that has no purpose outside of PC exclusive checkboxes reminds me of the way PPC in PS3 was "powerPC" compliant for no good reason...

Durante said:
I think the most interesting "new" part in this are the Extras
It's kind of sad consoles have fallen to this and the most interesting thing to look forward to is some hardwired compression units...
Especially since some of it doesn't really make that much sense to hardwire (except for the fact the CPU is downgraded for the first time in history, so gotta compensate somewhat).

Krabardaf

Don't bother, people refuse to look at the facts and continually think that

8GB DR3 is > than 4 GB of GDDR5

It's just too difficult to differentiate the numbers from actually specs... 8>4 yes! : /

Well, believing 8>4GB is just as foolish as to think bandwidth can entirely counterbalance a lack of available memory.

I think the most interesting "new" part in this are the Extras, but there isn't really a lot of information there. However:

- Audio Processor (ACP)
Should take some signal processing load off the CPU, which is good considering its relative weakness at that task compared to Cell.

Really interesting if we could get across-the-board support for low-latency streaming to Vita.

Does this mean non-bad downloads & installs?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

- Audio Processor (ACP)

All of these are really nice features. The decompression hardware should help with loading of data into the smaller RAM pool.

The texture units thing is kind of fucked though. Isn't that only 6 more than the PS3 has? I can't believe we may not get AF next gen.

Fuck price conscious consumers.

If you're buying a virtual headset for you to play video games on/in...you don't get to be price conscious.

Ok then... I wonder how quickly your and many here's opinions would change when it comes with Move, a Camera, and multiple other things you dont want that ups the price or the people who will say that 500gb isn't enough or that they wish they had a SSD. I'm not particularly sure how multiple skus harms anyone, no one is forcing you to get the lower version or any version you dont want, nor will not having multiple skus make the version that comes out super special awesome with no compromises. If "it confuses consumers" that certainly isn't your problem , you're posting on a website where you will know the ins and outs of each sku a month before launch. Also, I'm sure no one would particularly like being forced to buy the greater version that includes stuff they dont want, like if Vita had just been the 3G version for 300 bucks. I guess one can make the argument that one doesn't need multiple skus at launch, and I guess I would agree to that.

deanos

Banned
attention: for some reason the ROPS and the texture units are devided by 4.

8 backends x 4 ROPs per backend = 32 ROPs.
18 texture units * 4 = 72 texture units.

SeriousApes

I'm not so tech savvy, so I don't understand these numbers. But I hope we start seeing leaks of what the console itself will look like. With all the rumors and tech specs coming out, it seems likely that we'll see something of Orbis and Durango at E3.

Really wished they had more indepth Durango specs for comparison.

GPU:

- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor

- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads

- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle

- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second
Logic says that the CUs would scale linearly as other AMD GPUs do. 6 Backends for about 24 ROPs.

Elios83

Honestly everyone could have written such an article reading the rumor discussions on GAF and other websites. Nothing really new at all, so I wouldn't bet on it being credible.
The fact they're dodging on the type of RAM being used leaves us at the same exact point we were here.
Also it's not clear if the controller is an advanced DS controller or a move controller and I doubt that Sony will miss BDXL compatibility considering their 4k ambitions.
My impression is that they know something about Durango, but with Orbis they're pretending to know to get the hits but the source could be...us :D LOL

i-Lo

in other words, 8 backends x 4 ROPs per backend = 32 ROPs & 18 texture units * 4 = 72 texture units.

Pertaining to ROPs I got verification because it was a separate term and iamashadowhawk provided source. But do you have proof for "Texture Unit" needing to be multiplied by 4 as well?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sounds like 1.86 Tflops total. 14 CU's dedicated to the GPU, 4 maybe for GPGPU computation.

this makes sense. Doesn't the GCN normally split GPGPU and normal GPU duties up? So if you use GPGPU you lose half your CUs. By focusing like this, you can use 4CUs for GPGPU and still have 14 for graphics. With the normal architecture you'd be left with only 9CU if you need GPGPU functions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think I have an explanation for the '18 texture unit' thing. I think it's just another semantics issue about how things are referred to in different contexts.

In some AMD documentation, they talk about each CU having one texture unit e.g. in here: http://www.siliconwolves.net/frames...allel_Processing_OpenCL_Programming_Guide.pdf

Each compute unit contains 64 kB local memory, a texture unit with 16 kB of L1
cache, and four vector units.

The texture unit has 4 texture filter units (what we refer to as 'texture units' or tmus) and 16 texture load/store units.

So, like the render backend/ROPs thing, I think it's talking about 18 'texture units' in this sense - the group of 4 texture filter units in each GCN CU.

I'm not so tech savvy, so I don't understand these numbers. But I hope we start seeing leaks of what the console itself will look like. With all the rumors and tech specs coming out, it seems likely that we'll see something of Orbis and Durango at E3.

Lol, likely?

GAF has been pretty much unanimous that they will have full out unveil this E3.

Tagg9

8 backends x 4 ROPs per backend = 32 ROPs.
18 texture units * 4 = 72 texture units.

I was thinking this must be the case as well. Doesn't make sense that Sony would gimp the textures when they've put so much effort into making sure everything else is up to snuff.

Randdalf

single layer (25 GB) or dual layer (50 GB) discs

Welp. Time to enjoy either:
a) low texture resolutions
b) increased disc manufacturing costs -> higher game prices (hopefully they go full digital as well, like with Wii U, so this isn't a factor)
c) multiple disc games

Top Bottom