• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT|

Seik

Banned
Got my review copy, embargo lifted, quick GAF review:

• Don't expect this to play like a classic 2d/DS/SoTN Castlevania.
  • Nice engine, graphics are pretty cool, 3d is nice.
  • FALL DAMAGE, even for Alucard.
  • Can't cancel out of some attacks, leaving you wide open. You don't feel as in control of your character like you do on previous games in the series.
  • If you want to dodge an attack by jumping over attacks or obstacles, you almost have to plan early to do so.
  • Game is trying to be serious, but throws in some cringe-worthy comedy that pulls you out of the heaviness of the story. Conbine that with the cell-shaded comic book cutscenes, and you get all these variables of mixed styles that doesn't fit well together.
  • Music is great, but it blows out your speakers. A lot of audio clipping.
  • Alucard uses whips.
  • FALL DAMAGE.

The game tries at parts to be something it's not. And although it shares elements of the more popular Castlevania titles as well as Lords of Shadow, it ends up feeling like a cheap knock off of both.

But even through all of that, it's quite fun once you get over these issues and it is a really good looking game, but in the end it leaves you wanting a traditional Konami-made Castlevania in this 3D/2D style.

If you want and expect a traditional 2D Castlevania, don't buy it.
If you liked LoS and the lore behind it and don't mind the things listed above, buy it.

Wow, okay, I'm kinda turned off.

Alucard using a whip, fall damage, what the hell...

B.O.O.M

"While I’ve dropped a few negative points in this article, Castlevania fans shouldn’t think twice about picking up Mirror of Fate. If you’re one of those 3DS fans waiting for something good to play, then this should be viewed as essential playing. Everyone else can decide for themselves.

It’s simply one of the best games on the format, even if it does fall short of other Castlevania games out there. Mercury Steam has proven that it has the chops to make something brilliant out of a console openly ridiculed for its lack of horsepower. The studios’ growing proficiency bodes well for Lords of Shadow 2 later this year."

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/05/castlevania-mirror-of-fate-doesnt-suck-blood/

A bit of a mixed reaction so far but favoring a more positive outlook overall

CaVaYeRo

I won't have my review ready today, but for what I've played, I'd recommend it. It's a very good game AND a very good 3DS game. Rather unique addition to the lineup.

I usually trust IGN. That's enough for me.

The same folks who gave Conduit an 8.8, and Skyward Sword and Uncharted 3 a 10, you trust them over everyone else?

I won't have my review ready today, but for what I've played, I'd recommend it. It's a very good game AND a very good 3DS game. Rather unique addition to the lineup.

Basically this. It's a well made, fun action game, and it's like nothing else on the system. I would recommend it.

Tilmen

Banned
EVERYONE!!!

First 85 Minutes are now online....BAAAM ^o^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxy-oFD7_wc

Castle2_zps6f0531f8.jpg

BooJoh

for those who are playing it.
How is hard difficulty?
Do you suggest to play with normal or hard?

Just from the demo (where you can switch the difficulty in the menu) I actually decided to play it on easy, because I feel like it'll make the enemies feel less like meatshields... though I could be mistaken and it might just lower their damage.

But I play a lot of games on easy.

Larsen B

Seems the impressions from the demo thread were accurate.

The Europeans liked it a lot more than the Americans and this is getting reflected in the (majority of) review scores.

Guys I trust really like it so it's gone from a "when it's cheaper" to a day 1 for me.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, basically just IGN is negative so far. All the other reviews says it's good, or even very good.

Doesn't matter if it's 2D or not, Konami is gonna stick with what they think will make the most money, and very few of the GBA/DS games were considered successes commercially. It's kinda the reason they rebooted the entire thing.

This doesn't make sense. If they weren't making money, why were six of them made?
I think they were pretty profitable; Lords of Shadow just happened to be more profitable is all.

Really?
strange in the demo the difficulties just changed the damage inflicted by the enemies, not their HP/defence.

In my experience. Bear in mind I played on Hard for about 20 minutes before switching back to Normal, so mine may not be the best or most reliable evidence.

Doesn't matter if it's 2D or not, Konami is gonna stick with what they think will make the most money, and very few of the GBA/DS games were considered successes commercially. It's kinda the reason they rebooted the entire thing.

It does matter quite a bit. And the 2D games were very successful. Konami rebooted it and let a new dev studio take over because all of Konami's 3D Castlevania games were failures. Their 2D games were the only ones making money.

KiteGr

IGN review... 4.7/10!

I really wish this game was on Vita. The graphics wouldn't be as shit there, the gameplay might be smoother, and the damn thing would had something for me to play on it!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
IGN review... 4.7/10!

I really wish this game was on Vita. The graphics wouldn't be as shit there, the gameplay might be smoother, and the damn thing would had something for me to play on it!

...Congratulations! You've just done the migthy combo "one review = all reviews" + "port begging"! You're truly a champion, sir.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
i am getting this.
i trust. eurogamer, pocket gamer, edge and nintendolife more than I do ign.

but more importantly you fine GAFlings..

like the idea of great bosses. i am after and epic game in scale and bosses. this might be just the thing then

that's because IGA got a budget like a mobile app game to work with. It is time to give back the 2D games to IGA again.

KevinCow

Banned
that's because IGA got a budget like a mobile app game to work with. It is time to give back the 2D games to IGA again.

You say this like there have been a long string of 2D games made by people other than Iga, which is kinda weird since this is literally the first 2D game not made by IGA since Harmony of Dissonance in 2002.

Canon

Banned
I don't doubt this game is bad, but Colin Moriarty is one big Sony fanboy. He once said the Vita was destined to do better than the 3DS, among other things. I'm not saying he's biased, but I don't take anything he says seriously.

The demo wasn't fun but it was well-made.

Bleep

I don't doubt this game is bad, but Colin Moriarty is one big Sony fanboy. He once said the Vita was destined to do better than the 3DS, among other things. I'm not saying he's biased, but I don't take anything he says seriously.

The demo wasn't fun but it was well-made.

I can't say I agree with this. The frame rate and input lag was very off putting, if this remains in the full game then I would never say it was well made.

Celine

I actually looked it up, and he wasn't involved with CotM.

If he were, then he'd have been involved in every 2D Castlevania game going all the way back to SotN in 1997.
That's the point (unless my english is at fault).
MF is the first not-IGA CV since CotM.

Uh, yeah, with the original Lords of Shadows being the best-selling Castlevania of all time? I don't think Konami will be putting us into the Ignvania ghetto anytime soon.

Is this true? I actually worried after playing the first one that it was so different from the previous games that people didn't pick it up. Was really happy when they announced the second game.

So I consider the 3DS version as the big preview before LOS2 (I hope they release more information on that soon)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, guys, I actually read a review for once. Now I see why people do it because it helps understand scores

The IGN review just sounds like he's disappointed it's not like an Igavania even though Lord of Shadows isn't like any Castlevania before it.

Ahasverus

Can't wait for Destructoid's review, lol

Jim will love it then, he's the anti IGN :p

So, guys, I actually read a review for once. Now I see why people do it because it helps understand scores

The IGN review just sounds like he's disappointed it's not like an Igavania even though Lord of Shadows isn't like any Castlevania before it.
Again. I can't forget their original unedited review of LoS: "It has no castle, it has no Dracula, it has no exploration, there's no Castlevania in here" then when other reviewers played beyond the second stage they erased those parts lol

Top Bottom