• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT|

So, guys, I actually read a review for once. Now I see why people do it because it helps understand scores

The IGN review just sounds like he's disappointed it's not like an Igavania even though Lord of Shadows isn't like any Castlevania before it.

And Igavanias weren't Classicvania either. Really, as I already said, I'd really prefer having an Igavania. But I hate those criticism about the game being different. They're not happy with this ? Then review it like a Lords of Shadow game, forget the Castlevania name.

Ahasverus

that's because IGA got a budget like a mobile app game to work with. It is time to give back the 2D games to IGA again.

Mirror of Fate was probably cheaper than Order of Ecclesia. Spain salaries are laughable low and it had a team of 20 people. IGA's team was 30 people for 2D and 60 for 3D in tokyo.

Bedlam

And Igavanias weren't Classicvania either. Really, as I already said, I'd really prefer having an Igavania. But I hate those criticism about the game being different. They're not happy with this ? Then review it like a Lords of Shadow game, forget the Castlevania name.
IGN reviewed Lords of Shadow in the same vein as this game and gave it a score on the lower end (different reviewer though). The very first paragraph of the LoS review is all about lamenting its non-CV-ness. Some people just can't take off their rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, the closing comments should say something like 'Hey, the framerate's not great. Hey, the combat doesn't work that well in 2d.' Not, 'hey I can't explore as much in this like I could in Mirror of Fate.'

It would be like reviewing Super Castlevania and claiming it wasn't as good as Iga ones because you couldn't explore like in Igavanias. Obviously they are more influenced by the basic idea of Castlevania (old school horror tropes) but not what they became. I'm hoping to see better negative and positive reviews, honestly.
Screw both MS and Iga. I want a Castlevania by Platinum Games!

http://bayonetta.wikia.com/wiki/Kulshedra

Ricker

Must resist picking this up when I go get Tomb Raider today,I don't have time for this lol(liked the demo enough).

RM8

This is tough... I enjoyed the demo a lot, but I really shouldn't be buying any other games this month. 3DS-wise I'm covered with Luigi's Mansion, HarmoKnight and maybe Monster Hunter.

KevinCow

Banned
This game's really good. Like, really good.

I love the combat. You're pretty agile, so it's not too hard to dodge enemy attacks, but if you do let them get a hit in, it does a lot of damage. Just 3 or 4 good hits can get you down to critical levels. I've admittedly only died once so far, but I've been low on health a lot.

I don't love the checkpoints in the middle of boss battles. I'm usually one who doesn't like overly punishing checkpoint placement, but come on, it just feels like cheating to pick up a boss battle from halfway through after dying. I mean I could understand if it was the Ultimate Final Boss with multiple forms... but the first boss in the game? Come on, now.

I have to say my favorite thing about the game so far is Simon Belmont's glorious beard.

I watched some stuff from about an hour and a half into the game, and I think it looks pretty great. Definitely digging some of these environments and the music.

Paranerd

Neo Member
I kinda liked the demo. That IGN review seemed more disappointed that it had little in common with Symphony of the Night, which isn't the best way in getting a sense of what the game is.

Jarsonot

EVERYONE!!!

First 85 Minutes are now online....BAAAM ^o^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxy-oFD7_wc

Castle2_zps6f0531f8.jpg

Ugh, I can see that video layout being useful I'm some games where the 2nd screen is showing something useful, but in this game I'd rather see the main screen larger.

GlassBox

Banned
This game's really good. Like, really good.

I love the combat. You're pretty agile, so it's not too hard to dodge enemy attacks, but if you do let them get a hit in, it does a lot of damage. Just 3 or 4 good hits can get you down to critical levels. I've admittedly only died once so far, but I've been low on health a lot.

I don't love the checkpoints in the middle of boss battles. I'm usually one who doesn't like overly punishing checkpoint placement, but come on, it just feels like cheating to pick up a boss battle from halfway through after dying. I mean I could understand if it was the Ultimate Final Boss with multiple forms... but the first boss in the game? Come on, now.

I have to say my favorite thing about the game so far is Simon Belmont's glorious beard.
I like the sound of the challenge. I do agree with the criticism of the boss checkpoints if they are being overused. I guess I didn't mind them in LoS that much because I died a lot fighting bosses so it was always appreciated that I didn't have to start over with them at full health. But MS should maybe have considered an option to disable this.

Bigjelly

Banned
Must resist picking this up when I go get Tomb Raider today,I don't have time for this lol(liked the demo enough).

lol you wont be able to resist.

I did this same thing and walked out with Castlevania, and Tomb Raider (ps3) along with Club Pengiun Card for my daughter..

Anyone else pick this up?

I managed to find a copy at a Frys. My copy was shrinkwrapped in a cheesy wrapper and didn't come with a instruction manual. Is this normal?

I did get a Club Nintendo card for points. Nintendo testing Mercury Steam? Metroid?!

Ridley327

Anyone else pick this up?

I managed to find a copy at a Frys. My copy was shrinkwrapped in a cheesy wrapper and didn't come with a instruction manual. Is this normal?

I did get a Club Nintendo card for points. Nintendo testing Mercury Steam? Metroid?!

A lot of 3DS games come in that crappy shrink wrap, I'm afraid.

Also, Nintendo throws in a lot of Club Nintendo registration cards for third-party 3DS games these days; even Virtue's Last Reward had one.

Really, I don't know what to think with this game... I kinda like it, but honestly, I'd like a new Metroidvania game. In fact, I'd like a third Sorrow game. But will Konami ever back to Metroidvania ? What if the game doesn't sell well ? Does it mean portable Castlevania are dead ? Otherwise, if the game sell well... Does it mean we'll get more Lords of Shadow games ?

Really, I don't know what to think with this game... I kinda like it, but honestly, I'd like a new Metroidvania game. In fact, I'd like a third Sorrow game. But will Konami ever back to Metroidvania ? What if the game doesn't sell well ? Does it mean portable Castlevania are dead ? Otherwise, if the game sell well... Does it mean we'll get more Lords of Shadow games ?

Have portable Castlevanias ever sold well? I can't find any sales info for them. I would love a new 2D Metroid game. When I crave that style of play, I just fire up Shadow Complex.

Ridley327

Have portable Castlevanias ever sold well? I can't find any sales info for them. I would love a new 2D Metroid game. When I crave that style of play, I just fire up Shadow Complex.

CotM did nearly 500k, albeit with the help of a very widely available budget re-release. I think the other ones were in the 150k-200k range, which doesn't sound great if you forget that they were very, very cheap to make with all the asset reuse they had. Even Order of Eccelsia, which has a mostly new bestiary, still mined background assets from SotN.

It's funny , I was (still am) in the middle of a replay of Symphony of the Night when I heard about the new Castlevania demo going up so I tried it out, and I like it just fine. Demo hinted at a different focus with more put into combat and enemies that require more effort to take down. There was plenty of climbing and jumping on stuff and it looked really nice. I had the 3D slider turned all the way up without suffering any ghosting or things going out of focus too easily. I liked it. Sure, I love the Castlevania games inspired by SotN, but I don't need every Castlevania following that path. This looks good too.

It depends what do you mean by sold well. I think they sold decently compared to the scale/budget.

Busaiku

Circle of the Moon did over 500k.

RPGamer throws out figures for Dawn of Sorrow, Aria of Sorrow, and Harmony of Dissonance, but I can't verify the validity of them.
We did get NPD leaks then, and some stuff they mention that they mention do seem familiar to me (not the Castlevania numbers), so it's possible that those are accurate.

Wow, the game is more impressive than I thought! It's no IgaVania, but it's still pretty awesome. The graphics are the best I've seen on the 3DS so far.

I love the cutscenes. I kind of wish that Mercury Steam makes a Castlevania game using this celshaded style? Reminds me of Borderlands graphics. Maybe Mirror of Fate could've benefited from that style.

It's still great.

A lot of 3DS games come in that crappy shrink wrap, I'm afraid.

Also, Nintendo throws in a lot of Club Nintendo registration cards for third-party 3DS games these days; even Virtue's Last Reward had one.

Yeah. Just asking because I didn't want a played copy from a employee!

Moff

damn I really want to like this game, but I just replayed the demo and I simply cant play with this framerate, the game feels absolutely terrible

To those who haven't played Lords of Shadow, there are some major spoilers in the beginning of this game. I didn't beat Lords of Shadow so I saw them. :(

Unless the story of the Belmont's is already known by fans. I'm not familiar with them so I hope I didn't spoil myself playing Mirror of Fate before beating Lords of Shadow.
Have you played Revelaitons yet?

Forgot about that!

Honestly, I think Mirror of Fate kooks better.

Malvingt2

it is hard to do that tho.. A lot of series have the same issue. For example "RE"

Wrote to nintendo about my missing code...

I'm sorry to hear that your Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate did not come with a PIN Code.

Since you don't have the PIN Code that was supposed to come with your game, you can send us the UPC Code (this is the bar code on the back of the game case) and we'll register it for you. To cut out the UPC Code, simply open the game case, slide out the game insert, and cut-out the code. Please attach the UPC Code to a letter explaining the situation, and then send it to us by traceable mail to the following address:

Yea... no... complicated, break my back cover and cost money. Well, it will be hard to get my Platinum status I think. If anyone don't plan or don't care about their code coming with Castlevania, you could make someone happy by sending it my way! =)

Yea... no... complicated, break my back cover and cost money. Well, it will be hard to get my Platinum status I think. If anyone don't plan or don't care about their code coming with Castlevania, you could make someone happy by sending it my way! =)
Ask them if you can just scan the box, worked for me last year. Although that was NOE.

I just played the first 20 minutes. Very cool. The graphics are top notch. I love the dark/evil atmosphere. This makes me think back on old school Castlevania, before it became more anime than dark/scary.

I can't help but wonder why they didn't choose to make the gameplay the same cel-shaded visuals that we see in in-engine cutscenes. They probably didn't though, to make the game more dark and brooding than cartoonish.

I noticed early though that the white outlining for platforming hasn't shown up, like it was in the demo. Also, not as much framerate drops as the demo is a plus.

To those who haven't played Lords of Shadow, there are some major spoilers in the beginning of this game. I didn't beat Lords of Shadow so I saw them. :(

Unless the story of the Belmont's is already known by fans. I'm not familiar with them so I hope I didn't spoil myself playing Mirror of Fate before beating Lords of Shadow.

Forgot about that!

Honestly, I think Mirror of Fate kooks better.

Plays sequel. Doesn't want to spoil prequel. Makes sense.

Damn, no audio sliders and of course the sound effect levels are all over the place.

Really wish character placement during movement was centered. I thought this was something stamped out during the 2D era. I guess it's still some sort of coding issue.

Only a little in but I'm generally enjoying what's being presented. That framerate, though. Woof!

Back to it!

I'm ok with the boss checkpoints...having less time to play games lately, its a relief. At the very least they should put a 'nightmare' difficulty for those who like a challenge. Maybe for LOS2.

Damn, no audio sliders and of course the sound effect levels are all over the place.

Really wish character placement during movement was centered. I thought this was something stamped out during the 2D era. I guess it's still some sort of coding issue.

Only a little in but I'm generally enjoying what's being presented. That framerate, though. Woof!

Back to it!

I had a problem with this also in the demo, I was running past skeletons that didn't even get a chance to transform, didn't like that at all.

Pikma

Banned

I have tons and tons of CN codes, like a lot, really haha, so when I finally decide to register them all and get to Platinum status, I'll keep the rest to give 'em away here on GAF, so If you still want/need them by then I can give you a few of those.

Is this available on the eShop now or will it release on Thursday?

It is available right now, I'm currently downloading it.

I just played the first 20 minutes. Very cool. The graphics are top notch. I love the dark/evil atmosphere. This makes me think back on old school Castlevania, before it became more anime than dark/scary.

I can't help but wonder why they didn't choose to make the gameplay the same cel-shaded visuals that we see in in-engine cutscenes. They probably didn't though, to make the game more dark and brooding than cartoonish.

I noticed early though that the white outlining for platforming hasn't shown up, like it was in the demo. Also, not as much framerate drops as the demo is a plus.

That evil and dark atmosphere has me itching to play this game. I love it when games are committed to that kind of atmosphere all the way through a game, rather than it being a one off where the atmosphere might be foreboding for one level. Turok 2 did that so well.

And are you playing the retail, boxed copy?

Top Bottom