• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT|

Grisby

Played about a half hour or so. I'm loving it. The combat is pretty simple so far but I like the flow of the action and it's pretty snappy. The graphics in 3D are really impressive and it's great to see a 2D game look like this. I'm a big fan of LOS art style and there's some nice atmosphere here.

My only beefs so far is the sound. Sometimes dialog is hard to hear and the music levels seem a bit off. Cutscenes are done in a nice comic book style.

Not too much on the story front but Simon looks like a rough m'fer.

Dartastic

In many ways, yes. Much smoother than the demo too.
Can you please tell me why? The overall smoothness/responsiveness of the demo was a big problem for me and I'm glad it's been improved, but I'd like to know what else is seemingly changed for the better.

matmanx1

Picked up my copy today and just spent nearly an hour with it.
The graphics are great for a 3DS game and the 3D effect is excellent.
I like the music but the sound effects are compressed and pretty bad.
The combat is meaty feeling and fun.
The storytelling is straight up amateur hour cheese and looks pretty low budget.

Thankfully I don't care about the story at all. As long as the gameplay remains fun and I continue to enjoy the combat I'll overlook the rest.

sfried

Can you please tell me why? The overall smoothness/responsiveness of the demo was a big problem for me and I'm glad it's been improved, but I'd like to know what else is seemingly changed for the better.

Well it's gone from "acceptible" frame rates to pretty smooth. Granted, it might not be as smooth as MHTriUltimate for 3DS, but it;s no longer stuttery like it was in the demo.

On the plus side: Simon looks more like his original barbarian style, they just added a touch of Jessica Rabbit and went with it. Not as cool as the original but I like it.

Maedhros

Well it's gone from "acceptible" frame rates to pretty smooth. Granted, it might not be as smooth as MHTriUltimate for 3DS, but it;s no longer stuttery like it was in the demo.

The videos don't show this, though. And they are being played in 2D mode...

sfried

The videos don't show this, though. And they are being played in 2D mode...
Because they are encoded in a fixed framerate. I don't think they have it "steady" like RE:Revelations, but it looks pretty good in motion.
I like the music but the sound effects are compressed and pretty bad.

Sorry, but I'm disagreeing here. I plugged it my 3DS to my Altec Lansing speakers to hear better, and so far I don't think the sound effects sound like they did in Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D.

So. Is the final version way better than the demo? Please someone say yes.

It's better, yes. but the framerate is still all over the place. If you hit two objects at once, framerate drop. If you have certain abilities active while in combat, framerate drop. Multiple complex enemies on screen, framerate drop.

At least the button response seems faster. It's better just not "way better" as you put it. As these things usually go, it could've used a little more time in testing.

Still, I've enjoyed what little I've played. And as I said on the last page, the game screams for audio sliders. Sounds like it was mixed by someone deaf.

heringer

Looks like Collin (IGN) found a champion to help him trash the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncf0S5u3XPk

I do think Parish is a better reviewer, but in the video he says Castlevania always had great level design for platforming. I mean, seriously? The Igavanias were always pretty weak in that regard.

I like how they start the video claiming "we're the biggest Castlevania fans, so we must be right". Anyway, didn't think the complaints in the video were very sound to be honest.

Riposte

Are there difficulty settings? I looked through the amazingly crafted OP but couldn't find details on it.

If the game journos are calling it easy, we might have a problem.

Are there difficulty settings? I looked through the amazingly crafted OP but couldn't find details on it.

Yes, I just found Difficulties in the "settings" menu when you press start, easy normal hard

How do you save and quit? Does it just auto save and you can quit whenever or do I have to be careful?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Yup, switchable on the fly by simply pausing.

How do you save and quit? Does it just auto save and you can quit whenever or do I have to be careful?

Its just the autosave. The checkpoints seem pretty common, so you shouldn't need to worry too much, though you may need to redo a small section depending on the last autosave/when you quit.

Maedhros

I'm really conflicted about getting this... I dunno. I LOVED Order of Ecclesia, but despised Lords of Shadow.

Avoid. Seriously, just watch some Let's Play for this if you really want the game as Castlevania completionist or wait for garbage bin for better/reasonable prices.

I put about an hour and a bit into it tonight and so far I`m enjoying it... It`s not an Igavania or even a pre-Symphony game but something of it`s own and I`ve no complaints with the 2D psuedo-GoW in Castlevania trappings game play so far... I`m a huge Castlevania fan, too, having played every game to completion at least once excepting the first GameBoy outing and Belmont's Quest... But then again, I loved the Metal Gear AC!D games, so I`m not the type to hold my beloved series as sacrosanct. Regardless, the controls seem nice and tight and the graphics are a pleasant surprise; I`ll give it a thumbs up!

I do think Parish is a better reviewer, but in the video he says Castlevania always had great level design for platforming. I mean, seriously? The Igavanias were always pretty weak in that regard.

I like how they start the video claiming "we're the biggest Castlevania fans, so we must be right". Anyway, didn't think the complaints in the video were very sound to be honest.

Collin is so bitter it's hilarious. He's getting a lot of nasty comments from different boards, and also been called out by Mercurysteam by saying he didn't even review the game.

So sad. The one I feel bad most for though is Jeremy Parish, being thrown to the wolves as well.

It seems like Collin had to run to "Daddy" to justify his 4.7

So sad. The one I feel bad most for though is Jeremy Parish, being thrown to the wolves as well.

"My first impression is, this isn't really Castlevania even though it says it's Castlevania..."

My god I would love to see the description of what Castlevania actually is written in stone because I must have missed it somewhere in my 25+ years of experience with the franchise.

Ahasverus

"My first impression is, this isn't really Castlevania even though it says it's Castlevania..."

My god I would love to see the description of what Castlevania actually is written in stone because I must have missed it somewhere in my 25+ years of experience with the franchise.

Fuck, this.

You know what's funny, 5 minutes in, playing as Gabriel, I thought to myself, it's great playing another Castlevania game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is it weird that I want this because

A: I can't have a portable without Castlevania, and
B: Simon looks like a legitimate badass?

To those who have played it, how hard is it to get over the framerate? It's not like I have a problem with, let's say, Majora's Mask, but I won't hold a game from 2013 to the same standards as a game that came out 13 years before it.

Edit: Watching that Nintendomination video it seems enemies drop pretty fast once you get around 30 minutes in.

Instro

It varies greatly from area to area I think, for example the Training Hall in Order of Ecclesia is wonderfully designed platforming. The real difference is that the repercussions for missing a jump are minimal by comparison to the instant death experienced in the older castlevania games. I think that's something that would have really pushed the IGA games to another level if they had managed to either mix in more pure platforming type areas like the Training Hall, or been able to truly copy Metroid and make platforming a requirement throughout the game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, okay. Nintendomination video sold me. Just had to shed off that "This isn't the Castlevania I wanted!!". Judged on its own it looks like a fairly competent game. Nice level variety as well.

It varies greatly from area to area I think, for example the Training Hall in Order of Ecclesia is wonderfully designed platforming. The real difference is that the repercussions for missing a jump are minimal by comparison to the instant death experienced in the older castlevania games. I think that's something that would have really pushed the IGA games to another level if they had managed to either mix in more pure platforming type areas like the Training Hall, or been able to truly copy Metroid and make platforming a requirement throughout the game.

Training Hall was some good shit. I'd love an IGAvania with as much care put into the entire castle when it comes to platforming. Shame he never got a chance to make a 3DS Castlevania.

Is it weird that I want this because

A: I can't have a portable without Castlevania, and
B: Simon looks like a legitimate badass?

To those who have played it, how hard is it to get over the framerate? It's not like I have a problem with, let's say, Majora's Mask, but I won't hold a game from 2013 to the same standards as a game that came out 13 years before it.

Edit: Watching that Nintendomination video it seems enemies drop pretty fast once you get around 30 minutes in.

Simon's character design was 90% of why I wanted this game in the first place

vareon

Is there any video reviews that is a good representative of the supposedly better frame rate in the full game?

Ahasverus

Thank god there are many voices calling IGn review as pure BS. I was surprised at the positive Gamespot review too.
Seems like the game is not an astounding success (that I hope LoS2 is) but it's a small one, if anything, a step to unify both concepts of Castlevania. Not bad for a first try huh?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is there any video reviews that is a good representative of the supposedly better frame rate in the full game?

This footage is from the retail game, a lot of footage as well so it should prove itself useful for you if you want to see how the framerate is in different situations :) Personally, it sold me on the game. I don't have any sound though so if anyone could chime in regarding the soundtrack (Is it as good as LoS?) I'd be happy.

EVERYONE!!!

First 85 Minutes are now online....BAAAM ^o^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxy-oFD7_wc

Castle2_zps6f0531f8.jpg

Thank god there are many voices calling IGn review as pure BS. I was surprised at the positive Gamespot review too.
Seems like the game is not an astounding success (that I hope LoS2 is) but it's a small one, if anything, a step to unify both concepts of Castlevania. Not bad for a first try huh?

Yeah. I played tons of terrible games. Hundreds of bad games on the DS and quite a lot on the 3DS. Mirror of Fate is definitely not in that group.

One of the better 3DS games and one of the best 3rd party games for the system.

Instro

EVERYONE!!!

Yeah, I'll be passing on this. Nothing about that got me excited. The entire video plays out entirely the same throughout and the combat looked very dull particularly with each encounter playing out in a relatively similar manner and taking forever. The music was terrible, both poorly composed and horribly compressed and mixed. And to top off the framerate makes the game even less appealing. The graphics engine looks pretty good, but is wasted on the poor design and art.

Simon being turned into a big Scottish oaf is also disappointing.

Of the thirty minutes I played today, the game hits the okay territory.

My notes so far:
-During cinematics, framerate drops a bit, but in gameplay it's fairly smooth
-3D looks really good, doesn't give much of a framerate drop
-It does a really good job of cluing an idiot player like me in on the story.
-Can't use D-Pad for movement, only circle pad
-The contrast in art makes for really bad ghosting in 3D mode, more a fault of the 3DS though
-The gibs/guts of enemies comically fly towards the screen for the 3D effect
-Game plays a lot like you'd expect a 2D God of War title to play, down to the experience orbs, which are red instead of blue.
-A lot of handholding and text promps in the beginning
-Falling too far will arbitrarily kill you.

So far, not bad, but far from great.

All the positive word of mouth here gives me hope. After watching half of the 85 minutes of footage, I was less than impressed, but peeps seem to be enjoying it. I'm worried about the combat in that video though. Those regular encounters were taking way too long.

The one thing I'm really not liking though is the music, at least from what I've heard. I really miss Michiru Yamane. =(

EVERYONE!!!

Castle2_zps6f0531f8.jpg
I already liked the demo, but this video just makes me want the game more. (But his playing doesn't!) He keeps using the area attack, which is much weaker than the direct attack, and makes battles take forever. It seems that people try to mash what they think is strong attack, and then complain when enemies take too long to kill.

Got to play for a couple of hours and while I was enjoying the initial shock of the game, I'm starting the get concerned. I've already talked about how I feel about the audio, so I'll skip that until I'm completely finished up with it. So, here are some other impressions.

Combat is snappy and fairly responsive. It seems as if everything is built to serve the battle system. From the level design to the amount of damage you deal, it appears MS wanted to make "Combatvania" first and foremost.

I really enjoy the look of the comic style interludes. The character designs seem to "pop" more in them. It can be startling going in between the two styles, though.

The level design is amateur hour. "Walk that way, kill guys. Walk this other way, that looks like that way, kill other guys." Yeah, it has visual flair but the stage layouts stink on ice. But as I said before, if Mercury Steam's intent was to make a combat-centric Castlevania, I guess it makes sense to scale back intricate level designs and such. I've also noticed a few areas with seam tearing in the background/foreground.

Now for the one thing that no one seems to agree on, the frame rate. I'd honestly say it's in the sub 30's more often than not while dipping into the sub 20's during times of chaos. The more I play, it has definitely gotten worse with more complex scenarios and settings. I've been playing in both 3D and 2D, more often in 2D as this is one of those 3DS games that gives me a headache after about 5 minutes in 3D.

All in all, I'm glad I got to experience it for myself but in almost every other facet besides combat, the game is screaming for polish.

On the plus side: Simon looks more like his original barbarian style, they just added a touch of Jessica Rabbit and went with it. Not as cool as the original but I like it.

I remember the creators being fond of Castlevania IV, which is pretty obvious from Lords of Shadow. I'm glad they stuck with a more barbaric look for Belmont.

zroid

Banned
Need Quick Look... Giant Bomb pls

I have a sealed copy of the game sitting on my table and I need to know if I should return it :(

RM8

Wow, guys, I just saw this game at Sears today here in Mexico. HOW COME WE STILL DON'T HAVE FIRE EMBLEM FFS UGH.

Anyway - I'm going to play the demo some more times right now and decide if I'll buy it tomorrow.

Why not just wait a few months until it's $20 on Amazon? Heck, it might be less than 20 at that point. Old third party 3DS games go for dirty cheap on Amazon now.

RM8

^ I have a 15 hours flight next Saturday. A new game would be nice to have. Plus I've enjoyed the demo enough for the most part.

ahm998

This info for anybody here love God of war or 2d game.

You should go buy this game because it's great with 3D on 3DS :)

+Nice graphics.
+Huge leap in combat vs. other castelvania.
+3D effect for sure.
+Background design.
+Very nice action move & Cutsence.
+Perfect control for me especially with dash on air .
+Great Boss design.
+Metroidvania style.
+God of war style Music.

-Not castelvania
-Drop frame some times.
-Not 60fps with 2D or 3D.
-There is no min items & Weapon.
-I think monster very low vs. other castelvania.
-Many times you will dead in this game because there is no items.
-Missing old special magic from old castelvania.

Top Bottom