• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, none of it sounds TOO ridiculous except this part, why would they let you choose the RAM?:

Rumor: Customers will be able to customize their device. They can choose the color of the device and configure some of the hardware specs like RAM and internal storage. Motorola will guarantee your custom device will be delivered in one week.

So motorola is going to manufacture different phones for everybody or something? Or they'll just make a ton of each configuration and hope it sells.

gcubed

have they ever been right?

well they listed a shit ton of rumors yesterday, their chances of one being is pretty good

they have been right every now and then, but they've also been very wrong.

I expect a handful of the things mentioned to be correct, but a handful to be lifted directly out of someone's ass. Embellishment for no reason, like the build to order. IF something like that is true, it would be "I want the 1080p screen with 32gb memory" not "I want a 1080p screen, 4gb ram, a microSD slot, etc"

Honestly, none of it sounds TOO ridiculous except this part, why would they let you choose the RAM?:

Configurable RAM? Is this some kind of joke? Don't they realise how expensive that is? Phones are not made like desktops and laptops, they can't be easily taken apart and the RAM is fused directly onto the main board, it is not a drop in addition like on PCs.

Ridiculous rumour.

You know what I'm guessing. If the rumour is true that is. They'll have 2 phones (or whatever). If you choose less than 2 gigs of RAM then you will automatically get phone design #1 with whatever else you chose the phone to have. If you chose 2+ you will automatically get phone number 2 with all the other stuff you chose. So it's like an illusion of build to order but you're really just choosing from a bunch of phones motorola has made and set at different prices.

Something along that line. And that's if this ridiculousness is even true.

edit: or what gcubed said, the rumour will be right but the options will be more general. As in you can choose a low end middle end and high end phone all with different configurations. Basically what I said. Rather than actually being able to choose specific parts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Configurable RAM? Is this some kind of joke? Don't they realise how expensive that is? Phones are not made like desktops and laptops, they can't be easily taken apart and the RAM is fused directly onto the main board, it is not a drop in addition like on PCs.

Ridiculous rumour.

Phones are becoming more PC-like, I could see it.

Phones are becoming more PC-like, I could see it.

No way, the assembly cost addition would erode already wafer thin margins at Moto. There is no way they go for such folly. It would be insane to allow users to customise their devices and build to order.

They could have different configurations available to buy at different price points, that's just an extension of having one device with less storage for less money. However, the saving for 1GB less RAM is going to be less than 15$ and they would need to charge $50 less for it to make it attractive for the end user.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wish May would hurry up and get here so we can get a new Nexus Tablet.

Don't you mean Chromebook Pixel 2?
aJBLf.gif

mturco

in what dimension is a full screen being a full screen anything but a win?

Well the One doesn't have a multitasking button and they changed the order, so there's that. Otherwise it's mostly just a personal preference thing. I prefer capacitive buttons.

Edit: Oh, and the GS4 has a worthless menu button.

Maybe that's how google plans to solve some of their shipping problems as well? By offering multiple phone configurations they might be hoping the orders will be spread out and easier to fulfill rather than having everyone order the same 1 or 2. Then again, if the price is right I bet most people end up ordering "the good configuration", whatever that is. Can't wait till i/o just to end this series of rumours for good.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If that rumor turns out to be true (configurable on all fronts-screen, RAM, battery, storage,etc.), I'll eat a screen protector

Maybe that's how google plans to solve some of their shipping problems as well? By offering multiple phone configurations they might be hoping the orders will be spread out and easier to fulfill rather than having everyone order the same 1 or 2. Then again, if the price is right I bet most people end up ordering "the good configuration", whatever that is. Can't wait till i/o just to end this series of rumours for good.

there is no way that more SKUs would be easier to fill.

Battery life and screen are a win for Samsung, the camera will be better in every area except low light, since it uses the same module as the Xperia Z.

It's also smaller and lighter and generally a much better device. The only area in which the HTC One wins is design, but if you are buying on design then the Xperia Z is better IMO as it is waterproof which is more important where I live than speakers.

I dont think the screen is going to be better on the S4, but I may be wrong. HTC's screen tech is fantastic.

As for design, I think the HTC wins that easily over the Z or ZL. Water damage isnt an issue for me and I prefer the look of the phone over the all glass design of the Z

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Against the HTC One, though, it comes from HTC. I'm still pissed with them after their constant lies regarding the 4.1 update. And they've just returned my phone after a warranty repair in a completely broken state (went in with the battery broken, came back with the screen broken).

i'm a fan of smartphones in general and can only pray for Samsung's continued success precisely because they're doing exactly what you don't want them to do. i mean, if they can make a quote PREMIUM unquote device and still retain the removable battery and sd slot

What is it I don't want them to do? I never said the Galaxy S4 shouldn't allow micro SD cards or removable batteries.

PREMIUM PREMIUM PREMIUM PREMIUM

Ahhh lets bold things in case I don't get the point. It's kind of like speaking really loudly at people whose first language isn't English because you think that it'll make you easier to understand as opposed to say, talking at a normal volume at a normal pace. Faceless, I expected better of you.

but the material choices in those quote PREMIUM unquote devices preclude that as a reasonable possibility.

Plastic doesn't do away with denting, scuffing or scratching. You just care less cos it was only cheap plastic anyway.

for me, Apple, HTC and Sony make gimmick shells, just like expensive crystal, something not designed for normal everyday usage, give me the plastic cup 6 days out of 7, and while i have many interchangeable sets of tableware of various prices and quality levels, i only have one current mobile handset. if you had 1 cup every 2 years, would you really get the crystal one?

You want to set up the fallacy that you can't have really nice materials and be robust. Though I will agree that the Nexus 4 or even the iPhone 4 aren't great examples of this. The iPhone 5 on the other hand, or my old metal Sony Ericssson C905 are phones built from beautiful materials that won't fall apart under everyday usage. Samsung's designers could make a unibody metal smartphone that could both look gorgeous and function as an everyday item. Or even use more interesting design such as the Lumia 800 which used premium plastics but actually had a bold striking design. And calling them gimmick shells? Wow. I'm presuming you only ever wear plain cheap white sneakers because any other shoe is a gimmick shell, especially if it uses slightly more expensive materials.

EVERYONE ELSE IS ALEADY TRYING AND FAILING TO BE "MORE LIKE" APPLE!!! Samsung is being different in every way except ... success.

Yeah, you are right Samsung have in no way tried to imitate Apple and have always tried to be different from Apple and that is the reason for their success.....I mean it's not like there is a court case about Samsung copying Apple... oh....

Faceless's point about Samsung just doing what Samsung does and success!

If you are suggesting that if Samsung start making phones that are better designed they'll start selling less then you're verging on being ludicrous. And I'm not suggesting that every Samsung phone should be made out of better materials, just the very high end. Samsung hardware is kinda like Android software circa Gingerbread. Hey guys, we could make it smoother and have nicer transitions and shit and a better thought out design philosophy and we'll call it Ice Cream Sandwich. No, wait we don't need to cos we already sell more phones than anyone else, why actually improve right? And I didn't suggest that Samsung should do away with removable batteries or SD cards either. You can still design nice handsets and keep those features. HTC's woes are nothing to do with hardware design. Shit software, shit marketing and confused branding have been their problems. Their only saving grace is that they make some hardware that looks interesting such as the HTC 8S, The One X and One S and now the HTC One. Suggesting that making nicer handsets means your sales will go down is nonsense.

In essence what Samsung have done with the S4 is ok. But it should have been holy fucking bollocks, Octa Core, 1080p screen, 13 megapixel camera and holy shit that design pisses over everything else in the market. But what we got was great specs again (though not a big leap over the competition) and a samey design. But ok is no longer what I expect of Samsung. Not with all that cash, not with all that talent, not with that mission statement of dethroning the iPhone in America. They make beautiful TV's. Outstanding design. But the S4 design is utterly bland. And that's why I'm meh. I should have been super excited but I'm not.

What is it I don't want them to do? I never said the Galaxy S4 shouldn't allow micro SD cards or removable batteries.

Ahhh lets bold things in case I don't get the point. It's kind of like speaking really loudly at people whose first language isn't English because you think that it'll make you easier to understand as opposed to say, talking at a normal volume at a normal pace. Faceless, I expected better of you.

Plastic doesn't do away with denting, scuffing or scratching. You just care less cos it was only cheap plastic anyway.

You want to set up the fallacy that you can't have really nice materials and be robust. Though I will agree that the Nexus 4 or even the iPhone 4 aren't great examples of this. The iPhone 5 on the other hand, or my old metal Sony Ericssson C905 are phones built from beautiful materials that won't fall apart under everyday usage. Samsung's designers could make a unibody metal smartphone that could both look gorgeous and function as an everyday item. Or even use more interesting design such as the Lumia 800 which used premium plastics but actually had a bold striking design. And calling them gimmick shells? Wow. I'm presuming you only ever wear plain cheap white sneakers because any other shoe is a gimmick shell, especially if it uses slightly more expensive materials.

Yeah, you are right Samsung have in no way tried to imitate Apple and have always tried to be different from Apple and that is the reason for their success.....I mean it's not like there is a court case about Samsung copying Apple... oh....

If you are suggesting that if Samsung start making phones that are better designed they'll start selling less then you're verging on being ludicrous. And I'm not suggesting that every Samsung phone should be made out of better materials, just the very high end. Samsung hardware is kinda like Android software circa Gingerbread. Hey guys, we could make it smoother and have nicer transitions and shit and a better thought out design philosophy and we'll call it Ice Cream Sandwich. No, wait we don't need to cos we already sell more phones than anyone else, why actually improve right? And I didn't suggest that Samsung should do away with removable batteries or SD cards either. You can still design nice handsets and keep those features. HTC's woes are nothing to do with hardware design. Shit software, shit marketing and confused branding have been their problems. Their only saving grace is that they make some hardware that looks interesting such as the HTC 8S, The One X and One S and now the HTC One. Suggesting that making nicer handsets means your sales will go down is nonsense.

In essence what Samsung have done with the S4 is ok. But it should have been holy fucking bollocks, Octa Core, 1080p screen, 13 megapixel camera and holy shit that design pisses over everything else in the market. But what we got was great specs again (though not a big leap over the competition) and a samey design. But ok is no longer what I expect of Samsung. Not with all that cash, not with all that talent, not with that mission statement of dethroning the iPhone in America. They make beautiful TV's. Outstanding design. But the S4 design is utterly bland. And that's why I'm meh. I should have been super excited but I'm not.

no, what i'm saying is if they start making phones that are worse designed they will sell less. those other materials are an illusion, they don't make phones better, they make them worse. they're nice if you want a trophy or a plaque. they're anything but that if you want a mobile handset. who celebrates a design that comes scuffed up fresh out of the box?

Talon

The Internet needs to stop believing that anyone can make a good infographic.

Earth-hating, petroleum-based materials loving Faceless is back.

no, what i'm saying is if they start making phones that are worse designed they will sell less. those other materials are an illusion, they don't make phones better, they make them worse. they're nice if you want a trophy or a plaque. they're anything but that if you want a mobile handset.

Using metal would mean a worst designed phone and because it uses metal it's comparable to a trophy? (P.S People quite like being given trophies, cos it usually means they've done pretty well at something) So because the S4 uses plastic I guess that makes it a potty right?

Using metal would mean a worst designed phone and because it uses metal it's comparable to a trophy? (P.S People quite like being given trophies, cos it usually means they've done pretty well at something) So because the S4 uses plastic I guess that makes it a potty right?

those are usually made of ceramic. you're thinking of the seats, which are usually interchangeable and made of plastic.

Pctx

Banned
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The rumors are swirling aren't they? You can cut the air with a knife it seems. The stuff about sizes and memory configurations are somewhat taken out of context. From what I've heard, the sizes of 8,16,32,64,128 and possibly 256 will be available (with the higher end ones in low supply) but available come end of May/early June. As for the SoC they're using, they have demoed multiple SKUs and are in the midst of settling on one right now. While everyone and their mother thinks the Tegra is shit, I do know they have gotten an insane amount of standby time given that the battery is inching towards a 3600mAH battery. Someone mentioned the KLP hooks for battery/CPU management, this is one of the things they're hoping to best Apple and everyone else on, hence why the "X" will be exclusive to KLP at first since it will be best optimized for that hardware. Memory wise it will match the S4 with 2GB DDR3.

A lot of you have been asking about screen size.... not sure if I'm going to tell you yet just because its so fun hearing everyone bash 4.7 to now 6.3 in screen sizes. I will drop a little nugget that Moto is already working on the X-2 prototype that is supposed to be running the tablet resolution of 2560x1600. Yeah...do the PPI on that. I will say this. The screen has amazing viewing angles, awesome in the direct sun and the color temps aren't annoying.

What else... oh, the stuff Samsung showed/demo'ed --- a lot of those features will be stock in KLP. Gestures and NFC as I've said are going to be a huge part of it. Not going to spoil anything else for now.

Talon

but Samsung made that infographic.
What an embarrassment.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The rumors are swirling aren't they? You can cut the air with a knife it seems. The stuff about sizes and memory configurations are somewhat taken out of context. From what I've heard, the sizes of 8,16,32,64,128 and possibly 256 will be available (with the higher end ones in low supply) but available come end of May/early June. As for the SoC they're using, they have demoed multiple SKUs and are in the midst of settling on one right now. While everyone and their mother thinks the Tegra is shit, I do know they have gotten an insane amount of standby time given that the battery is inching towards a 3600mAH battery. Someone mentioned the KLP hooks for battery/CPU management, this is one of the things they're hoping to best Apple and everyone else on, hence why the "X" will be exclusive to KLP at first since it will be best optimized for that hardware. Memory wise it will match the S4 with 2GB DDR3.

A lot of you have been asking about screen size.... not sure if I'm going to tell you yet just because its so fun hearing everyone bash 4.7 to now 6.3 in screen sizes. I will drop a little nugget that Moto is already working on the X-2 prototype that is supposed to be running the tablet resolution of 2560x1600. Yeah...do the PPI on that. I will say this. The screen has amazing viewing angles, awesome in the direct sun and the color temps aren't annoying.

What else... oh, the stuff Samsung showed/demo'ed --- a lot of those features will be stock in KLP. Gestures and NFC as I've said are going to be a huge part of it. Not going to spoil anything else for now.
image.php

3600mah? I'll need to see the receipts on that one!

Also what about camera? Typical motorola garbage or did they figure out how to do processing software? Also this phone sounds humongous. Hope not.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

A new Obama avatar for Pctx if he's bs'ing us

giga

Huh. I had no idea you now support Obama. I guess Obamacare being constitutional finally made you a believer. Welcome!

Pctx

Banned
3600mah? I'll need to see the receipts on that one!

Also what about camera? Typical motorola garbage or did they figure out how to do processing software? Also this phone sounds humongous. Hope not.
Marginally bigger than the Maxx HD in terms of thickness.

I think pctx is getting trolled.
Doubtful but I'm not burning my friend at Moto.
A new Obama avatar for Pctx if he's bs'ing us
Naw... I'll go with a Hillary one.
I was hype for the X phone. Then the 4 came in stock and I have it but am now completely skeptical on everything about the X phone.
If you buy any phone right now you'll punch yourself in the face and crotch.
I would be skeptical even if sundar pichai dropped the same rumour.
Fair enough.
Huh. I had no idea you now support Obama. I guess Obamacare being constitutional finally made you a believer. Welcome!
Support Obama? No, the guy is a clown. His mug shot though shows what the entire case of the political scene right now of which both D's and R's are B's.
Do you work at android and me now pctx?
Nope. Anything I'm saying to you guys/gals has nothing to do with their news postings... unless someone on here works for them and floats my info. Guess time will tell.
Bookmarking post for inevitable disappointment :)
Oh you.

giga

Support Obama? No, the guy is a clown. His mug shot though shows what the entire case of the political scene right now of which both D's and R's are B's.
Lol, more sarcasm. I get it, you're a changed person now.

No but really, we OFA supporters need to stick together and get the word out that we need a balanced, gradual approach to trimming the deficit and debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom