• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U System Update Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulAtiCa

Sooner then expected, nice.

Edit: Wait, where exactly is that picture posted on Facebook? I don't see it posted on either the Nintendo or Wii U's Facebook page.

Nintendude712

Neo Member
The Wii U is the problem, not everyone's internet connections or TVs.

I have a 100 Mbps down/10 Mbps up internet connection: Downloads on the Wii U are still absurdly slow using the wired Ethernet adapter.

My TV doesn't have any overscan, which means that I experience underscan (black borders around the screen) in Wii mode - which is absurd.

This! I tried explaining this to a Nintendo rep on the phone and he didnt know what I was talking about >_> So far all the VC games have underscan (Tap the Gamepad screen to trigger the VC Menu, then look at your TV screen you'll see the underscan).

WiiStreetU also has underscan, and Need For Speed U as well in it's title screen (The game itself doesnt have underscan as it has a setting to fit the screen, but the title screen stays with the border).

This! I tried explaining this to a Nintendo rep on the phone and he didnt know what I was talking about >_> So far all the VC games have underscan (Tap the Gamepad screen to trigger the VC Menu, then look at your TV screen you'll see the underscan).

WiiStreetU also has underscan, and Need For Speed U as well in it's title screen (The game itself doesnt have underscan as it has a setting to fit the screen, but the title screen stays with the border).

It's actually interesting about the underscan stuff. Call of Duty: Black Ops II on the Wii U has underscan that shows up on the GamePad, when using the composite (or, is it the component?) cables on a SD TV.
I had played Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing on the Wii U, on a regular SD TV, but the games displayed on the FULL GamePad screen...Black Ops II was the only one I experienced to use only a portion of the GamePad screen with the regular cables.

I just thought it was the way they programmed it, so it would run smoothly on both. I had no clue the FULL GamePad screen would be used when we upgraded TVs in January...that really did make a difference in the online multiplayer (which I had been playing already on just the GamePad), as the FULL GamePad screen was in use.

I'm not sure if this video might help, but I posted up on my piece in the comments section when somebody mentioned the overscan issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efXNTPiw6sA

Terrell

This would be acceptable. Hopefully they comment on it when the Wii U VC officially launches.

That's the reality, there's no need to comment on it. If you have your Wii VC games, you're not forced to upgrade them unless you want off-TV play, button mapping and save states. Then you pay the $1 to $1.50 upgrade.

You've been outraged over nothing.

CrunchyB

That's the reality, there's no need to comment on it. If you have your Wii VC games, you're not forced to upgrade them unless you want off-TV play, button mapping and save states. Then you pay the $1 to $1.50 upgrade.

You've been outraged over nothing.

It's not unreasonable, but it is a bit lame to expect your loyal customers to double dip. VC games on the WiiU are just as expensive as they were on the Wii and include these features by default.

The upgrade costs are significant if you own several VC games. Why not make it a one-time upgrade of, say, $5 for all your Wii games?

The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition, bundled with Wind Waker, not that was a sweet bonus. I don't think Nintendo will ever be that generous again.

It's not unreasonable, but it is a bit lame to expect your loyal customers to double dip. VC games on the WiiU are just as expensive as they were on the Wii and include these features by default.

The upgrade costs are significant if you own several VC games. Why not make it a one-time upgrade of, say, $5 for all your Wii games?

The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition, bundled with Wind Waker, not that was a sweet bonus. I don't think Nintendo will ever be that generous again.

Costs money to make sure each game works flawlessly on the new emulator. You can still play the games as you paid for them (even on the new machine), but if you want new features then you pay a little to upgrade. That's not exactly a foreign concept anywhere in the business sphere - Nintendo or otherwise.

The Zelda Collector's Edition was so bad because Majora's Mask hardly worked on it - widespread freezing and lower FPS than intended. I'd rather Nintendo put out the effort and make sure the game works flawlessly than put it out like they did there. Also, you're thinking of the Ocarina of Time + Master Quest which came with preorders of Wind Waker. Collectors Edition was given to Nintendo Power members who did something (I forget what). OoT + MQ was a pretty nice bonus, though.

burgerdog

I'm assuming the update is going live on Monday, because Nintendo just posted this on their Facebook page.

11870_481574648577080_172200270_n.jpg

I'm not seeing it on their Facebook page.

PAL consoles upscale the image too but only if you use a HDMI cable. For some reason it dosn't work with componant.

Eurogamer did an article about this, I'm hoping that this will be resolved in the update for us PAL gamers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wii-u-backwards-compatibility-analysis

I'm hoping for either a fix for this, so I can play my Wii games in 60hz over component, or to be able to output audio through the AV multi-out while picture is sent over HDMI.

My old HDTV only has a DVI port for digital images. I use an HDMI converter and everything looks lovely, but there is no sound. A new TV will not be bought until this one dies and I don't have the appropriate space for a separate sound system/receiver.

tav7623

I don't think it was a mistake cause if you go to Nintendo's website under the games section they've added a page for one of the confirmed (via the Wii U VC sizzle reel) Wii U VC launch titles Excitebite and they've given it a April 23rd, 2013 release date as well. On top of that Nintendo's Network status page has the Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and DSi systems as well as accompanying shops due for some extended maintenance on Monday.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
For what its worth, I'm in the UK and I can see the image on facebook just fine.

Oh. Well, the coincidence of only Canadians being able to see it still seems to be in effect.

i got the image appear on my feed from the wii u facebook page and last time i looked i was a red blooded englishman who has never set foot anywhere within several thousand miles of canada

Drago

Pretty excited for the VC update.

NES and SNES games look especially fantastic on WiiU thanks to the fact that they're upscaled. Excited to play Super Mario World yet again :p

I really wish I didn't have to pay for updates though, but I didn't have a whole lot of VC games anyways so it won't make much of a dent in my wallet. I really hope I never have to pay for console VC games again after this though. And cross compatability with the 3DS... sigh. At least if the next Nintendo console is a console/handheld hybrid then cross play VC games are pretty much a given.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom