• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U System Update Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchyB

Costs money to make sure each game works flawlessly on the new emulator. You can still play the games as you paid for them (even on the new machine), but if you want new features then you pay a little to upgrade. That's not exactly a foreign concept anywhere in the business sphere - Nintendo or otherwise.

Oh sure, I understand it. I just don't like it.

The Zelda Collector's Edition was so bad because Majora's Mask hardly worked on it - widespread freezing and lower FPS than intended. I'd rather Nintendo put out the effort and make sure the game works flawlessly than put it out like they did there. Also, you're thinking of the Ocarina of Time + Master Quest which came with preorders of Wind Waker. Collectors Edition was given to Nintendo Power members who did something (I forget what). OoT + MQ was a pretty nice bonus, though.

I own both discs, but I hardly ever played them in any case. I spent so much time going over every inch of those games when they first came out there was little point in going back :)

Hah, just checked, the collector's edition included Zelda I & II as well! My God, that was an insane package. I totally forgot about that, I even bought Zelda II on the Wii VC, silly me.

I own 3 copies of that game, but still need to pay 1 Euro to play them in WiiU mode. :/ I'll probably end up paying up as well, I've been trying to finish Zelda II since the '80s.

gabe90

So do I understand correctly that the update won't bring the ability to turn off be video on the Gamepad while watching Netflix, or the mirroring that happens with Mario U?

Nintendude712

Neo Member
It's actually interesting about the underscan stuff. Call of Duty: Black Ops II on the Wii U has underscan that shows up on the GamePad, when using the composite (or, is it the component?) cables on a SD TV.
I had played Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing on the Wii U, on a regular SD TV, but the games displayed on the FULL GamePad screen...Black Ops II was the only one I experienced to use only a portion of the GamePad screen with the regular cables.

I just thought it was the way they programmed it, so it would run smoothly on both. I had no clue the FULL GamePad screen would be used when we upgraded TVs in January...that really did make a difference in the online multiplayer (which I had been playing already on just the GamePad), as the FULL GamePad screen was in use.

I'm not sure if this video might help, but I posted up on my piece in the comments section when somebody mentioned the overscan issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efXNTPiw6sA

Hmm, havent heard about the Black Ops issue... I have my Wii U connected to my HDTV (which I think is 720p, but im not sure) via HDMI at 1080p and with the "overscan" setting set to off so I can see the full image. I only turn the overscan on my TV back on when in Wii mode. I hope they update the Wii U VC games, WiiStreetU, and Wii Mode because it's really bothersome having to switch back and forth..

Nice piece btw! Totally agree, specially with the gifting part. That'd be so useful now that we have unified friend lists. Good news is that Nintendo recognized the Gifting feature on its support website. I think we'll see it eventually, if they like money that is. I'd love to gift some games to friends.

Jofamo

So do I understand correctly that the update won't bring the ability to turn off be video on the Gamepad while watching Netflix, or the mirroring that happens with Mario U?

Considering both those "issues" are coded into those two specific pieces of software? No.

Jachaos

Do we have a solid release day for when the Wii U update releases?

As noted above, we can see on the Wii U page on Facebook that the Virtual Console is supposedly coming out on the 23rd. They said during the Nintendo Direct it'd be the day after the system update. So the system update should be on the 22nd.

Interesting. Are there some applications or games that allow the Wii U Gamepad to turn off while the 2nd screen isn't being used?

Every game I have has the GamePad on at least for basic maps or stuff like that otherwise they wouldn't be taking advantage of it in any way. Maybe Assassin's Creed III allows it in option but I'm not sure anymore. The only one I can think of is Wii mode.

You can turn off the screen in all games and applications. It just turns on again when you press a button on the GamePad. In Netflix, where you wouldn't be using the GamePad while watching a movie/show, just press the Home button and go to settings and turn it off.

Nintendude712

Neo Member
You can turn off the screen in all games and applications. It just turns on again when you press a button on the GamePad. In Netflix, where you wouldn't be using the GamePad while watching a movie/show, just press the Home button and go to settings and turn it off.

That don't work as the movie stops playing as soon as you press HOME, and you cant use a Wii Remote to start it again. You have to start the movie with the gamepad, resulting in the screen turning back on.

What it needs is Wii Remote support. Heck, Miiverse and everything else that doesnt should support it as well.

What Im currently doing is turn the brightness on the pad all the way down, and then hide it under a pillow/ sheets or put it upside down somewhere.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Does it?
(very off-topic, I know)

My TV shows "720p" (which is the setting I have for WiiU since the display I own is not FullHD) even in Wii mode.

I believe the signal on NTSC systems is upscaled on the Wii U itself, so it outputs whatever resolution the Wii U is set to. PAL systems on the other hand output unscaled signals.
Bah, sorry about the conundrum, guys. I entirely mixed and matched the analogue and HDMI outputs in my memory. Must be because I experimented with 480p over HDMI last time I booted into the sandbox. So yes - the WiiU does scale the Wii fb to the resolution set in the system-wide settings. But the rest I said still holds - the system takes the output from the sandbox and puts that in whatever res the current HDMI frame is. It does not know if the sandboxed title does or does not use overscan settings. And since most of them do, the fb sent over the HDMI ends up with margins.

Jacobbles

Putting myself out there and saying I REALLY HOPE the PAL VC is full of 60hz/NTSC ROMs :/

I'm not holding my breath but it would really be nice, especially with some of those N64 games to come.

Coolwhip

Banned
Putting myself out there and saying I REALLY HOPE the PAL VC is full of 60hz/NTSC ROMs :/

I'm not holding my breath but it would really be nice, especially with some of those N64 games to come.

They probably will be or there will be riots on Miiverse.

D-e-f-

Banned
Considering both those "issues" are coded into those two specific pieces of software? No.

Interesting. Are there some applications or games that allow the Wii U Gamepad to turn off while the 2nd screen isn't being used?

It doesn't need to because it could already do that since day one by turning off the screen in the controller settings ;)

will the VC support off-tv play?

It's been doing that since January.

Not gonna happen as evidenced by Kirby's Adventure last week which is the optimized PAL version.

D-e-f-

Banned
What is the difference between the 'optimized PAL' and 60hz versions?

optimized PAL version have adjusted music and sped-up animations to approximate the original 60Hz versions but they're still not as good as a true 60Hz game.

D-e-f-

Banned
Wait, it is? Weren't F-Zero and Punch-Out 60hz versions though?

Yes. Kirby had localized versions, though so that seems to be an issue for them.

Btw, they explicitly announced that in the release list last week.

This is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. Demos and animations may run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release.

www.Go Nintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=200284

(fuck this stupid link blocking)

What is the difference between the 'optimized PAL' and 60hz versions?

Varies by game. In Kirbys Adventure, Kirby is speed up, as is the music to appear to be running at 60hz (While the game still actually moves at 50Hz), but the enemies and anything else in the game all still run at 50Hz. It's pretty noticeable on the bosses.

Ein Bear

I'm hoping that their plan is to go with 60hz, unless a PAL optimised version is available.

Considering how few PAL optimised games there were back in the day, I'm crossing my fingers that it won't end up being a big problem. I really thought we'd finally defeated 50hz :(

FSLink

Banned
True, though you can just play NSMBU with a Wiimote and you never have to touch a gamepad button.

The point of people asking is to use the Gamepad and be able to truly turn the screen off. The way it is now is just to conserve battery life. :p

Neff

There's not a lot of Miiverse fuss about the fact that Kirby's Adventure is 50hz, presumably because the game isn't as popular as F-Zero was (the 60hz demand for that was huge). The assumed reason that it's not 60hz is that it was originally optimised in Europe in 1993, However, Super Mario World and Super Metroid were also optimised for PAL, so they might see fit to give those us in 50hz as well. That's when things are going to get ugly.

There's not a lot of Miiverse fuss about the fact that Kirby's Adventure is 50hz, presumably because the game isn't as popular as F-Zero was (the 60hz demand for that was huge). The assumed reason that it's not 60hz is that it was originally optimised in Europe in 1993, However, Super Mario World and Super Metroid were also optimised for PAL, so they might see fit to give those us in 50hz as well. That's when things are going to get ugly.

It boils down to language really, for all the internet argument in favour of 60hz im sure the majority in say france, germany ect. would rather play games in their own languages

Turrican3

Bah, sorry about the conundrum, guys. I entirely mixed and matched the analogue and HDMI outputs in my memory. Must be because I experimented with 480p over HDMI last time I booted into the sandbox.
No problem, I was honestly asking because there's been *a lot* of confusion about this "issue" (probably also due to an Eurogamer article on the same subject that now I can undoubtely classify as wrong)

Jacobbles

It boils down to language really, for all the internet argument in favour of 60hz im sure the majority in say france, germany ect. would rather play games in their own languages

This is true and fair enough, but for English speaking countries like Australia and New Zealand to get crappy 50hz versions too despite having a separate eShop is pretty crappy. Or maybe, as has been suggested before, they could give people the option to get the EFIGS PAL 50hz version or the US/NTSC 60hz version at the checkout. I don't know.

I'm just a bitter Australian who can't believe this is still something I have to worry about in 2013.

Neff

I'm sure they would, but a huge majority of Miiverse 60hz protesters were English-speaking, despite representing every corner of Europe, and they're going to kick up a stink again if heavy-hitters like SMW, Super Metroid and (god forbid) Link to the Past are 50hz.

The best compromise would be to offer US versions alongside 50hz multilingual versions. Not ideal, but acceptable.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I think they will simply release all games that were translated to more than just English as the old 50Hz versions (and that would sadly include Super Metroid and Link to the Past) and everything that was English everywhere as 60Hz (that would at least include SMW).

To give people the choice between both versions would really be the best solution. I'm not sure how much more work that would mean for Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom