• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR hardware will be the one to go with?

jaypah

Exactly, it's apples v. oranges. No reason to complain that you can't have one on the other platform. It's the stupidest VR complaint yet. Buy the one for whatever you play on the most.

It's like "Gee, will the PC version have better graphics than the console version?" Well, DUH.

It's not that it's locked to one platform, it's that it's locked to a closed platform. That's the whole point of the statement. People like the Wild West "make what you want" nature of PC, especially with something as experimental as VR. Developers don't have to wait for approval or even have the rights to something to make it. I've flown around in the BttF Delorean, been to the Star Wars cantina and waited in the rain for Catbus to show up. None of those were official and none of them would happen on PSVR. And those are just a very small sample. Most of my favorite DK2 programs would never be on PSVR.

I'll be buying PSVR day one (as I've started on GAF many times before) but my main VR platform will be on PC, simply because besides better hardware there are no real rules to development.

Edit: autocorrect

Um, no, I've never been corrected on that to my knowledge. Because it's what they were reported to have said, exactly in those terms.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/18/tgs-2015-playstation-vr-to-be-priced-as-a-new-gaming-platform
I'm pretty sure I've covered it with you myself, but let's go over it one last time, okay?

From the time Morpheus was announced, Shu was saying that they considered it a platform rather than an accessory, and as such, it would be sold at cost rather than at profit, with Sony profiting on the back end from software sales.
Also in our interview with Yoshida today, the PlayStation executive addressed the matter of pricing for Project Morpheus. He wasn't ready to talk firm pricing plans, but he did say that you won't have to spend $1000 to get your hands on the device, as is the case with Sony's HMZ head-mounted display line.

According to Yoshida, the HMZ line is priced in such a way that Sony makes money on every unit sold. This model doesn't normally apply to game hardware, though, as consoles are often sold at or below cost, and become profitable with the sale of games, accessories, and services.

Yoshida said Sony often prices its gaming hardware lower than other non-gaming Sony devices and explained that he doesn't expect this to change with Project Morpheus. As such, Yoshida explained that a $1000 price point "doesn't necessarily indicate the pricing that we're gonna have" for Project Morpheus.
So from day one, Shu was making it perfectly clear they intended to sell at cost, and he explained precisely how that was gonna work. Then House reiterated Shu's comment when he told Bloomberg that PSVR will be priced as a new gaming platform, which is also what IGN reported, and indeed, is the very title of the URL you just provided.

House did not say that PSVR will cost the same as a console costs. He said precisely what Shu said, they will be pricing it as they do their console hardware — at cost — and for the same reason, to maximize adoption, thereby maximizing software sales down the road, which is where they do make their money.

So are we clear now? From the beginning, Sony have been perfectly clear that they intend to sell PSVR at cost, and to my knowledge, have never given any indication as to what those costs may be, except that it won't necessarily be $1000. So will you please stop saying they said it will cost just as much as a console?

The actual source quote doesn't make Iribe sound near as unsure as that article - in fact, Iribe says that "everybody agrees that if we can do it at cost that would be great for everybody". But more importantly, Palmer Luckey was saying "at cost' at the same time in very clear, solid words, and not once have they ever said otherwise.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/oculus-vr-founder-tells-stuff-were-going-sell-rift-cost-price
I went and checked the original source — and thanks a lot for making me give Orland another click — and it sounds just as up-in-the-air as The Verge made it sound, frankly.
It's also going to help bring down the final price of the consumer unit by scaling up the production, Iribe said. "I think [the Facebook buyout] is going to allow us to deliver consumer V1 at a lower cost, because we're not trying to drive a high margin on this," he said. "[Facebook CEO] Mark [Zuckerberg], especially, wants to bring the cost down, him more than me. I do, too, but at the same time we were planning to run a business, hopefully a break-even [or] profitable business off of this, not a money-losing business. Mark is much more in the mindset of 'Let's get this to scale with the best quality product at the lowest cost possible.'"

"I'm hopeful we're not going to be losing money on [the hardware], but I think everybody agrees that if we can do it at cost that would be great for everybody," Iribe continued. "As Mark says, as you start to get to race to scale there are a lot of opportunities to monetize that are really great for consumers, because they get a really low-cost product."
So yeah, he's clearly describing internal debate over the matter of pricing. Yes, Palmer is far more clear about them selling for cost, but he was making that claim on precisely the same day his boss was saying, "Sure, that'd be lovely, but I dunno…"

But as I said, this was over a year ago, and it was shortly after the acquisition, so it's not surprising their plans weren't as firm as Sony's at that point; they simply hadn't had the same time to plan. That's why I asked if they had said anything more definitive since then. Personally, I've only heard that Palmer was reminding people that CV1 will be a lot nicer than DK2. That would seem to imply that it will cost more than the $350 that DK2 sold for, which would further imply that CV1 will be sold for a fairly healthy profit, since it almost certainly doesn't cost anywhere near $400 to actually build one.

I can't believe people are serious with these types of false equivalences.
Because for them, it's not a false equivalence at all. You say, "PSVR isn't an option because I have no PS4, nor any intention of buying one." The console gamer says, "Okay? Rift and Vive aren't options because I don't have a gaming PC, nor any intention of buying one. Vive won't work on my PlayStation or my iPhone, right? Pretty much locked to PC, right? So where does my equivalence become false?"

You're a PC guy, and that's fine, but don't try to pretend that PCs are superior to consoles in every way. It's just a user preference, and nothing more. Different products fit different people's needs differently, and that's fine too. That's why we have different products. But the fact that someone's preferences differ from yours is no reason to treat them like an idiot. Seems like a smart guy such as yourself should understand this stuff already though.

Manoko

If the "big breakthrough" of HTC is eye-tracking allowing foveated rendering, there won't be a choice to make anymore, it would be the Vive for sure.

Otherwise, I think we'll have to compare specs when we know the final ones for both the HMDs.

Zaptruder

Banned
I really don't think Valve's output is the draw for the Vive.

Room-scale VR is.
And, as someone who had access to VR since being the 58th backer for the Rift, it's a massive draw.

Are you seriously complaining about someone not wanting to buy a device locked to a console?

The biggest problem with roomscale isn't that it isn't awesome... but simply that VR will be used in a wide variety of spaces.

While the average enthusaist user might be able to clear a 2.5m diameter free space for room scale VR, when you start hitting the 85 percentile of users, you're getting down to 1.5m... not to mention non-enthusaist users who aren't willing to make as significant a concession.

As a result... room scale becomes more a 'step in either direction scale'. Which can still offer compelling functionality, but that's what developers will need to target, especially if they want to create experiences that involve room scale movement of any sort.

If the "big breakthrough" of HTC is eye-tracking allowing foveated rendering, there won't be a choice to make anymore, it would be the Vive for sure.
Personally I doubt that's the case. It's completely outside their wheelhouse, so unless they made a deal with an outside vendor or some 3rd party, they don't have the means to develop that kind of tech themselves.

I'm like 90% sure the "Breakthrough" will be photogrammetry-related

valve-roomscan-1.jpg

Durante

Because for them, it's not a false equivalence at all. You say, "PSVR isn't an option because I have no PS4, nor any intention of buying one."
No, I say "PSVR is not an option because it's not on an open platform". The difference is, I can get a Vive (or even a Rift I guess), connect it to my PC, open up an UE4 project and start experimenting with it.

I can not do that with PSVR.

The biggest problem with roomscale isn't that it isn't awesome... but simply that VR will be used in a wide variety of spaces.

While the average enthusaist user might be able to clear a 2.5m diameter free space for room scale VR, when you start hitting the 85 percentile of users, you're getting down to 1.5m... not to mention non-enthusaist users who aren't willing to make as significant a concession.
That's only a problem if you are trying to create something with a large budget or trying to get rich :p

I'm like 90% sure the "Breakthrough" will be photogrammetry-related
I think the HDR rumour is also not completely unlikely.

Dali

I tried the Oculus DK2 and as someone who gets motion sick in cars and rollercoasters I was totally fine for the most part.

To be honest I wouldn't make a decision now until I see all their prices, software, and future outlook.

Would hate to get a headset that gets abandoned shortly due to lack of sales.

Edit: I'll definitely get the Oculus or Vive because the open nature of the PC means that you'll get games that would be impossible to do in the PSVR, but it'll have to be one or the other. And I might also get the PSVR down the line depending on price and if the limited hardware of the PS4 doesn't have a heavy impact on the games.
I would imagine the pc vr displays have a built in life extender in users who would no doubt mod in support for new releases that don't support them by default.

I'll start with PSVR, as the PS4 is my primary console and I don't play very much on PC. Depending on where things go with VR after that, we'll see.

BlazinAm

PSVR and one of the other VR headsets.

I don't own a Ps4 but I think Sony will create a good value thru software for their headset.

I wonder if the Occlus Rift will work with all of Valve's software offerings and that is my big hold back on with PC solution I'll get.

Otherwise, I think we'll have to compare specs when we know the final ones for both the HMDs.

If they wanted to implement foveated rendering at this late stage I would assume a big impact on their launch date.

RibMan

I'll get the PSVR for gaming. I'll get a Rift if a developer/developer's release great apps and content on PC. If the PSVR ends up being usable on PC then I won't bother with the Rift at all. If both of the headsets are priced > $500 then I'll wait for them to come down in price. I'm excited for VR, but $400 is my ceiling.

I currently have no interest in the Vive. Unless Valve plan to support it (exclusively) with software, I don't see myself ever owning one.

Opting for PS VR

PS VR - most widely adopted first gen consumer VR (probably)

Will have most if not all VR content PC will have (probably - on basis of #1)

Plug & Play

UnrealEck

Choose "Low", "Medium", "High", or "Ultra". Yeah, really daunting :p Heck, these days many games auto-select the quality settings.

Plus nVidia (and likely AMD too) will be trying to support VR through some pretty nice rendering optimisations in their GameWorks VR, so I assume they'll have some sort of on-click optimisation thing to configure your installed games for VR depending on your hardware. Probably integrated into GeForce Experience the way they have it now.

Games will probably already also have pretty decent one-click optimisation too and there may be software with the Vive/Rift that'll do things like that too.

But yeah, it really isn't hard even without the above software additions.
I think people really make mountains out of mole hills with this sort of 'you need to spend hours tweaking' kind of stuff.

No, I say "PSVR is not an option because it's not on an open platform". The difference is, I can get a Vive (or even a Rift I guess), connect it to my PC, open up an UE4 project and start experimenting with it.

I can not do that with PSVR.
Again, fair enough. I totally get where you're coming from; the ability to experiment is the only thing that has me considering a Vive someday, assuming their Mac support is good and I ever have a 'book powerful enough to actually drive it.

But again, most people give zero fucks about that kind of shit, so while it's a deciding factor for you, and a small consideration for me, it makes absolutely no difference to their decision at all. Regardless, the end result is that PSVR only works on PS4, and Rift/Vive only work on PC, so people are just going to get the one that works with what they have, and view the others as being "locked" to "that other thing that I don't want." The headsets themselves actually have very little to do with the decision though.

I think the most popular devices will be the PSVR and Oculus Rift. Why? Because the companies behind them understand marketing. Valve doesn't. Just look at their weird controller. The Vive seems to be targeted at nerds only, I doubt that this device will be popular with the average gamer. Which means support will be very limited, and the device is worthless. Because unlike with monitors, there aren't really any standards, so dev support is really important. Also HTC is in bad shape, there is a chance that they could go out of business at some point in the near future. That's why I will probably get the Oculus VR device.

AmyS

Gemüsepizza;190264980 said:
I think the most popular devices will be the PSVR and Oculus Rift. Why? Because the companies behind them understand marketing. Valve doesn't. Just look at their weird controller. The Vive seems to be targeted at nerds only, I doubt that this device will be popular with the average gamer. Which means support will be very limited, and the device is worthless. Because unlike with monitors, there aren't really any standards, so dev support is really important. Also HTC is in bad shape, there is a chance that they could go out of business at some point in the near future. That's why I will probably get the Oculus VR device.

This.

Very much agreed.

Definitely one of the PC VRs due to the better experience compared to console VR but I don't know which one, Vive has the steam integration but Oculus has some good exclusives.

Mindlog

I would be surprised if any of these first-gen devices lasted long enough for the question to be all that meaningful.
Early VR is going to be iterated on the regular.

vpance

I would be surprised if any of these first-gen devices lasted long enough for the question to be all that meaningful.
Early VR is going to be iterated on the regular.

It all depends on PSVR pricing and how strong the word of mouth is I think. The reaction videos and stories of grandmas feeling alive again seem to point to a fair chance of mainstream interest, but it's impossible to know until the marketing ramp up begins.

Zaptruder

Banned
That's only a problem if you are trying to create something with a large budget or trying to get rich :p

No, it's mostly a problem if you want people to experience your creation.

If you believe in the transformative effect that VR can have on society, the future, computing, etc... it behooves you to think more broadly about the user base.

Of course, within that thinking, you can obviously still find great applications for large 1:1 scale VR - as with The Void and Zero Latency.

Durante

No, it's mostly a problem if you want people to experience your creation.

If you believe in the transformative effect that VR can have on society, the future, computing, etc... it behooves you to think more broadly about the user base.
I think it's far more important for people to quickly explore the possibilities of more and more advanced VR systems than to push for mainstream use.

The rapid iteration on VR concepts since the Oculus Kickstarter (supported by less than 10000 people mind you!) seems to have shown very well that mainstream participation is at best a secondary concern for advancement of the medium

PSVR first for Rez, Rigs and Dreams- and I'm really hoping Namco sort it out and make a proper katamari that also supports VR. Then I'll get the best of the PC sets later on.

Zaptruder

Banned
I think it's far more important for people to quickly explore the possibilities of more and more advanced VR systems than to push for mainstream use.

The rapid iteration on VR concepts since the Oculus Kickstarter (supported by less than 10000 people mind you!) seems to have shown very well that mainstream participation is at best a secondary concern for advancement of the medium

We need both sides of the equation to push and pull really.

A lot of experimentation is hardware limited (so beyond the direct control of software developers, unless they want to get into the hardware game - but the experimentation they do might help push the hardware companies towards prioritizing some advances over others)... some of it is also more limited by the issues beyond hardware - and room scale VR is precisely one of those things affected by issues beyond hardware. It's limited by the scale of the room, by the things that go in the room, by the places people can put the computer and the VR HMD attached to it, and that amount of free space that they have in their homes.

I can't imagine VR as a whole succeeds if the development community feels that room scale is the correct and final solution for traversal in VR.

On the other hand, I can imagine VR as a whole succeeding even if few devs use room scale techniques.

But really, I see the greatest path of success in the VR development community understanding the various limitations and opportunties present and understanding how to dynamically adjust their software to take advantage of those opportunities where they can.

In more direct terms - use as much space as is available, but design traversal so as to not require much movement.

Also, the overall development community is affected by the shape of the growth curve of VR adoption, which in turn affects the shape of that curve in kind (through the availability of compelling content). The idea that thousands of VR devs can support themselves for years with minimal income while experimenting is... naieve and too hopeful. If you're able to do so, more power to you - you'll be able to reach further into the future faster than others.

Going to whet my appetite with PSVR as it is the easiest for me to jump into in the interim.

If that catches my fancy, I will most definitely build a computer rig for VR gaming. Now as for Vive or Oculus? I don't know. Waiting will give me time to really compare the two.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Opting for PS VR

PS VR - most widely adopted first gen consumer VR (probably)

Will have most if not all VR content PC will have (probably - on basis of #1)

Plug & Play

I'm not sure how widely adopted a closed standard will be. And I somehow doubt "most if not all" VR developers on PC will port their software to the PS4, same way I do not expect the PS4 exclusives to get to PC.

Gemüsepizza;190264980 said:

Keep in mind that Rift and Vive are pretty open platforms right now. They need devs to support *them*. nVidia and AMD are wildly different and you can run all games on both. Every wheel and stick works with every game. I think if devs have enough time to implement a VR solution for their software, they're going to ensure compatibility with both. I also think that if they do end up only supporting one or the other, then the Rift or Vive will be working to make sure their hardware will work through their own efforts.

I have a tough time envisioning any future where half the games run on Vive and half run on Rift. Either both are fully supported or something janky happens and only one is supported and the other straight up dies.

EGOMON

PSVR of course, i mean finally am going to enter a jet-fighter cockpit!! and finally am going to sit behind the steering wheel of the most exotic cars in the world!

anothertech

PSVR and Rift for me.

I think a majority of the console and pc offerings will be on those two platforms.

Similar to my current gaming habits, I'll likely want to game on both for different reasons. And both look amazing.

Vive has yet to give me a reason to choose it over the Rift. Been wondering what the breakthrough is valve has talked about so I may hold off to try both. So I'll probably go with PSVR first and then choose between the pic counterparts a bit later.

But Rift def has my attention at the moment.

Corine

I'd imagine I'll go with the Rift since it has such a vast library compared to the other sets. Everything from Doom to GTA5 already has Rift support. Maybe the Vive will win me over at CES though who knows. Hard to pass on the set that already has hundreds of games for it and has support for many games I already own.

I'm certainly waiting to see how things work out. I'm not sure there's room for VR in my gaming life. Isolating yourself in a VR headset... I just don't think a lot of folks are giving thought to how closed off that would make you in a situation where you have a family. Then again, maybe a lot of folks don't have one, so that's a non-consideration.

Were I to get one though, PSVR definitely sounds the most appealing. I have a fairly powerful PC, but I definitely wonder how polished things are going to feel up front on that platform, and I'm not really interested in playing stuff that feels experimental or hacky at this point. PSVR looks like it will be pretty polished, albeit potentially not as ambitious, up front. I have a feeling the overall cost of entry is going to be lower on the PSVR side of things too, which frankly seems appropriate given that I bet a second gen, much improvemed version of these products is probably not far on the horizon if VR sticks.

Top Bottom