• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Graphical Benchmark - The Order 1886

While we have talked at great length about The Orders failings one of its greatest successes is the visuals.

Not since the first time I played Crysis have I been this amazed by what is happening on the screen.

Overall the game is so good looking it can not only rival some CG productions but the materials in the game whether its metal, wood, stone, or paper look photorealistic. Funny enough the aesthetic reminds me of the first Resident Evil in a lot of ways.

Everything is just so impressive. The character models look better than anything on the market(Finally the bald dude from Crysis has been surpassed!). Animation of your character is also well done. You move with great weight and the soft body physics of your clothes and them not clipping together all over the place just looks so amazing.

Every element of the game just continues to impress. The skyboxes don't look like skyboxes. The steam rising from the buildings and the London city sprawling in all directions makes the whole game feel grounded and just more real than anything else.

Also the NPC's are just nuts. I am so used to NPC's looking pretty bland compared to your main character but thats not the case at all in the Order. They are brought into the world with the same attention to detail as the main characters.

On top of all of that the engine seems to handle all this visual splendor with ease. Even with the most over the top shootouts with the environment shattering all around you and the arc or thermite gun releasing their gorgeous particles effects of doom it just has your jaw dropping.

It makes me wonder how long it will be until someone surpasses the game. Of all the games coming out in the future that we have seen footage for none of them look to be achieving anything close to what RAD has accomplished.

Courtesy of xenogenesis:

16410945249_768c5b3952_o.png

16741611482_e35596b801_o.png

16595525015_cf1e5be4fe_o.png

16408505290_c6ab820786_o.png

16445562820_2a55520ca2_o.png

16448436239_11f7c6fe21_o.png

16650271462_7808c38042_o.png

15982654523_e1b2ff7108_o.png

15976310124_350e7df33d_o.png

16569538776_37032d6465_o.png

16494945659_e1314749eb_o.png

16742674755_1b1fcee5d9_o.png

16058757724_d5828fa717_o.png

16001862703_a9311e9740_o.gif

link to his FlickR album for the rest.

Below are some screens the devs put up on Polycount. After that are some massive gifs of my hard play-through of the game. They are just location spoilers but I tried to pick some that wouldn't spoil all the visual feasts waiting for your eyes.

ibpqkoJUg87kQn.jpg

iUbZEVSZ92ReI.jpg

iGC1E3OwefX4r.jpg

iboicFTRvskEig.jpg

ibxfB6HNPknPaV.jpg

ibynGuck3EpKev.jpg

ib2yZRFgSXjuUy.jpg

iblHvuL5WGIviL.jpg

iUxrzO4OyMsc.jpg

ieoKdSZx43xRt.jpg

icq4xLh22I6ZM.jpg

iTdo5WhplfL8N.jpg

ibdBD3Wsutc8q7.jpg

itD62TeznHwTs.jpg

i1EN83rg59ftA.jpg

ipbVadg4ymrR3.jpg

iF2fsREgC2Jlx.jpg

iqo0u75yiDOw0.jpg

ibkjXaAtW5PHNL.jpg

ibsQfzkrDj5PpL.jpg

ibgKo6Td7HuaCG.jpg

iblVeprnacRQoJ.jpg

ijOY3BAQqiWdA.jpg

ibw1VNu341rOCa.jpg

ib19ilezakLceV.jpg

ib2e2Ua2sgnuMm.jpg

3.jpg

Remember this. Finally we have moved beyond it.

MORE IMAGES HERE and COMMENTS FROM THE ENVIRONMENTAL ARTISTS ON MATERIALS

What's an Order 1886 graphics thread without more in-game screenshots?

The%20Order_%201886_20150224040756.jpg~original

The%20Order_%201886_20150224032240.jpg~original

The%20Order_%201886_20150224042645.jpg~original

The%20Order_%201886_20150224042009.jpg~original

The%20Order_%201886_20150224031415.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150221044949.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150221044625.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150221042803.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150221014159.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150220000038.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219235918.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219224333.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219162621.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219160448-1.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219160209.jpg~original

FW5YACO.gif

Courtesy of flipswitch

XNHsocI.jpg

BumR3XX.jpg

1U7C6uB.jpg

Here are a couple of mine. Not as good as those though. Pardon the bad quality.

wlxJfcD.jpg

uwwtxvU.jpg

1i4j6ZS.jpg

crO8yrd.jpg

SEvqWKJ.jpg

jELWsvk.jpg

WxPwW9Q.jpg

4BiumJx.jpg

Paxhrd1.jpg

FWrGFfg.jpg

LARGE GIFS
GIANT GIF1
GIANT GIF2
GIANT GIF3
GIANT GIF4
GIANT GIF5
GIANT GIF6
GIANT GIF7
GIANT GIF8
GIANT GIF9
GIANT GIF10
GIANT GIF11
GIANT GIF12
GIANT GIF13
GIANT GIF14
GIANT GIF15
GIANT GIF16
GIANT GIF17
GIANT GIF18

LARGE WEBMS
GIANT GIF1
GIANT GIF2
GIANT GIF3
GIANT GIF4
GIANT GIF5
GIANT GIF6
GIANT GIF7
GIANT GIF8
GIANT GIF9
GIANT GIF10
GIANT GIF11
GIANT GIF12
GIANT GIF13
GIANT GIF14
GIANT GIF15
GIANT GIF16
GIANT GIF17
GIANT GIF18

Krakn3Dfx

Game is a stunner through and through to be sure, on my list of must plays sometime this summer when things quiet down.

I find it hard to be impressed by games which lack color. The muted palette creates a dull, oppressive atmosphere which takes away from any technical achievements the game may have going for it.

So it really is the Citizen Kane of videogames.

Is it me or the screens from the devs you put in the thread looks worse than the actual game ? :eek:

EDIT: I don't know... something seems to be missing...
Also, I think that The Order's greatest strenght remains the post processing, which looks stunning.

Man

I have been enjoying my gametime so far. A bit too much handholding and too static overall but I've yet to see a single bug or oddity. I feel bad for leaving behind environment constantly as details deserved to be studied.

Is it me or the screens from the devs you put in the thread looks worse than the actual game ? :eek:
Agreed with this. The game looks better in person than the OP shots.

rjc571

Banned
I find it hard to be impressed by games which lack color. The muted palette creates a dull, oppressive atmosphere which takes away from any technical achievements the game may have going for it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I agree. Best looking video game I've ever seen.

zXe

I disagree

MavFan619

Banned
One thing is for sure the Order spoiled me visually on my PS4. I'm sure on the PC space you can make things look amazing as well but for the console world visually it's a game changer for me. Don't get me wrong I'll still play and most likely love upcoming games but that initial reaction to seeing the Order finally in person and playing something that looks that good will be hard to beat.

McDougles

I'd argue that the developers did the best they could within the realism of their setting.

Seriously, it's set in 19th-century London. How colorful do you think it could get?

Hubble

Agree. The game is too grey following a simple approach to its graphical style, intentionally.

Also the black bars is annoying. I don't like it for The Evil Within either. This practice needs to go. Just shows you how much it takes to retain graphical fidelity at a high resolution.

The graphics are good though.

erawsd

With everyone chasing "open world" design, I would be surprised if anything comes along that can match this pixel for pixel within the year.

MavFan619

Banned
I'd argue that the developers did the best they could within the realism of their setting.

Seriously, it's set in 19th-century London. How colorful do you think it could get?
The Order clearly needed a Rainbow Road esque stage to appease those who said it looks too (appropriately) dreary.

Sojgat

Yup, it's stunning... in an extremely grey kind of way.

When multiple explosions and gun effects are going off, it's probably the best looking game I've ever seen.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Indeed. Feels almost a generation beyond anything I have ever played.

I know the word Unbelievable is too often used, but it really is unbelievable how good this game looks. I often have a hard time accepting its realtime as I am playing it.

I hope it gets enough sales for a sequel. The game isn't as bad as reviews state, and the technology behind it is unparalleled.

GoldChain

Did you really need to upload these to robleydesign.com? Half these images are loading and the ones that do, stutter like crazy.

iratA

Oh Bruce I could kiss you. This thread needs to exist!

I have never felt so lost in a game world because its visuals are just that 'clean'.

I also want to go on record one final time saying please give us a sequel RAD. This IP has so much potential.

Jito

Banned
It was very impressive until you realise how limited you are in interacting or exploring the environment. It's definitely the best looking movie set tour I've been on.

Games like Crysis will always be more technically impressive as you can do something with the gameplay mechanics and physics whilst being blown away by graphics.

You kidding yourself if you genuinely think this rivals any film CGI (last time I checked film CGI has higher than x8 AF).
The order looks filmic, but far from realistic. They use monstrous amounts of DOF, image and motion blur to hide a lot of the graphic imperfections.

Did you really need to upload these to robleydesign.com? Half these images are loading and the ones that do, stutter like crazy.

Well they are 25mb + so I couldn't think of an image host that would accommodate that. If you know of one please tell me.

EDIT: I don't know... something seems to be missing...
Also, I think that The Order's greatest strenght remains the post processing, which looks stunning.

Yeah they do look worse. I can find any shots that really show how amazing the game is because of the post processing. It has to be seen in motion on your screen.

i love how in some of the podcast of reviews when they touch this part of the game they just say..."looks good"

the last example was the cagcast..yeah...i know these guys tend to dont give a shit about sony exclusives but its funny how they go gaga over graphics on other games and the order is just "ok"

and i have seen this behaviour on a lot of podcast and websites..its ridiculous...you cant like the game but the graphics? man...

orava

I have been enjoying my gametime so far. A bit too much handholding and too static overall but I've yet to see a single bug or oddity. I feel bad for leaving behind environment constantly as details deserved to be studied.

Agreed with this. The game looks better in person than the OP shots.

The actual geometry and map design is relatively simple. The rest comes from using post processing shaders.

I'm surprised by how much I don't mind The Order, after hearing all the middling-to-poor reviews. It's definitely dated in terms of gameplay and I wish it would decide if it wants to be Heavy Rain or Gears of War, but the shooting is decent enough and whoah the graphics!

My only visual complaint is dear god, the amount of time you stare at unsightly shades of greenish-black. I don't mind the muted colour palette but the transitions between black and almost-black bug me a lot. It would be nice if we could hold off exploring the bottom recesses of the brightness scale until my TV can deliver the rich spectrum of blacks required to do the constant darkness justice.

Elios83

Yes it's truly amazing, the switch to materials and (the approximation of) global lighting is what current consoles should bring compared to the PS3/360 days.
Same thing happened with Driveclub.

Hopefully cross gen ports will die this year and we'll see more games of this quality.

gadwn

Those screens don't look THAT great, dunno why, maybe my TV is a lot better than my monitor..

But the game itself has the most impressive visuals ever, I wonder if Naughty Dog will top this with Uncharted 4. Even as a ND fanboy I kinda doubt it.

Those screens don't look THAT great, dunno why, maybe my TV is a lot better than my monitor..

But the game itself has the most impressive visuals ever, I wonder if Naughty Dog will top this with Uncharted 4. Even as a ND fanboy I kinda doubt it.

Yeah I don't know how they could. It just looks so much better than everything else.

Spineker

Banned
The Order shouldn't get too comfortable. As we all know, art design is king when it comes to visuals and Bloodborne releases in 17 days.

Oneself

Indeed. Feels almost a generation beyond anything I have ever played.

I know the word Unbelievable is too often used, but it really is unbelievable how good this game looks. I often have a hard time accepting its realtime as I am playing it.

I hope it gets enough sales for a sequel. The game isn't as bad as reviews state, and the technology behind it is unparalleled.

Well, I came here to say pretty much the same thing. It's absolutely stunning. My first playthrough took around 14 or 15 hours because I couldn't stop taking screenshots and inspecting every tiny details. And it's a much better game than the reviews indicated. I'll be very sad if Sony doesn't greenlight a sequel.

i-Lo

I completely concur. I will be posting a review where the following points will be reiterated in greater detail:

• Because it looks astounding, even the smallest of flaws tends to break immersion (unless you aren't nit picky)
  • The animation quality outside cutscenes isn't commensurate with the visual fidelity
  • Minor visual glitches that forms the foundation of certain technological advancement are also immersion breakers
  • The eye shader out of cutscenes need working on (then again, computing power is needed elsewhere during gameplay).

Overall, the Order has been the best game I have ever laid my eyes on. I can't remember any other game where I would press the screen-capture button less than every 5 minutes from time to time (no, I am NOT exaggerating).

If someone told me that the Order represents the visual ceiling for this generation of linear games then I'd remain elated.

Loakum

Banned
The Order easily had the best visuals I've ever seen in a console game, and it wasn't in 1080p. Imagine what the sequel will look like...*drools*

Genio88

Don't think so, because next Uncharted will have bigger area than the precedent ones, and 1080p resolution, The Order is able to reach that graphics and effects thanks to its sub 1080p resolution plus linear areas

Ricky_R

At first I was taken aback by the blurry IQ, specially after the intro, but once I reached Whitechapel I couldn't believe my eyes from that moment onwards. I haven't seen a game yet, that looks as good.

There were moments that I literally asked myself how in the fuck could RAD made the game look so good.

BPoole

The Order easily had the best visuals I've ever seen in a console game, and it wasn't in 1080p. Imagine what the sequel will look like...*drools*
There is no way the sequel will look better and be native 1080p. The black bars will come back

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Looking at the screens more....this game graphics reminds me of the times I played Myst. That may have been the first time I was stunned by visuals playing a PC game.

I played Myst when it was new.

Loakum

Banned
There is no way the sequel will look better and be native 1080p. The black bars will come back

The black bars didn't bother me, but they could clear up the IQ. They should had included the option to toggle the "film grain" look, on or off.

UnrealEck

Aother thread on The Order's graphics. This is why I keep saying the graphics are overrated. It's blurry and grainy, it's brownish grey and it runs at less pixels than 900p. It's also very confined and linear. Some people are calling the graphics 'clean' and saying the IQ is great.

You kidding yourself if you genuinely think this rivals any film CGI (last time I checked film CGI has higher than x8 AF).
The order looks filmic, but far from realistic. They use monstrous amounts of DOF, image and motion blur to hide a lot of the graphic imperfections.

I'm glad other people seem to think the same. I feel like I've been taking crazy pills when reading comments on this game's graphics.

eshwaaz

The Order is the first game that delivers the quality of visuals I'd hoped the new consoles would be capable of. Up until now, this generation had been hugely disappointing in that respect.

Still, I keep reminding myself that the game is extremely linear, the levels are mostly quite small, it's letterboxed, short, and took 5 years to make. It's unlikely we'll see many games that look this good in the coming years, even as devs become more proficient with the hardware. Maybe that's me just trying to not set myself up for disappointment - here's hoping I'm wrong.

i-Lo

Aother thread on The Order's graphics. This is why I keep saying the graphics are overrated. It's blurry and grainy, it's brownish grey and it runs at less pixels than 900p. It's also very confined and linear. Some people are calling the graphics 'clean' and saying the IQ is great.

I'm glad other people seem to think the same. I feel like I've been taking crazy pills when reading comments on this game's graphics.

I don't know what people have against "grain". It still irks me how Bioware removed it from subsequent ME titles; it adds a level of grit when done properly.

Pretty much everything you posted is personal opinion save the pixel count (which you got wrong), softness of the image and linearity (which has little to do with visuals amongst other linear titles).

Yes The Order 1886 looks very good, but in games looks aren't everything.

This thread is about visuals alone and thus I feel to see your reason for the bitching.

nib95

Banned
Don't think so, because next Uncharted will have bigger area than the precedent ones, and 1080p resolution, The Order is able to reach that graphics and effects thanks to its sub 1080p resolution plus linear areas

I think this engine is likely very scalable, for example the Dock levels in the game are large in scope and size. You have combat spanning several street lengths and buildings, as well as the giant ship.

Yeah you never played it.

Top Bottom