• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Graphical Benchmark - The Order 1886

GameSeeker

Agreed OP. In the are of graphics (rendering quality, lighting, animation, textures, etc) The Order: 1886 is unmatched by any game on any console, period. The sound is also amazingly good.

Ryse, KZ:SF, Infamous:SS and DriveClub set the graphics bar for the first year games. But, The Order: 1886 is setting the bar very, very high for 2nd year games. (I will politely laugh at anyone who says Ryse looks as good. And no PC comparison's allowed).

At this point I predict that no 3rd party game in 2015 will match The Order:1886 in graphics. Only a 1st party game like UC4 has a chance of coming close or beating.

Grisby

Yeah man, RAD produced a really pretty looking game.

They've always been tech wizards and it was cool to see what they could do with a console.
Same here, at least when it comes to how the gameplay in a game that took 4+ years to make utterly pales in comparison to a low-budget effort that probably took around a fourth of that time.
So true.

Agreed OP. In the are of graphics (rendering quality, lighting, animation, textures, etc) The Order: 1886 is unmatched by any game on any console, period. The sound is also amazingly good.

Ryse, KZ:SF, Infamous:SS and DriveClub set the graphics bar for the first year games. But, The Order: 1886 is setting the bar very, very high for 2nd year games. (I will politely laugh at anyone who says Ryse looks as good. And no PC comparison's allowed).

At this point I predict that no 3rd party game in 2015 will match The Order:1886 in graphics. Only a 1st party game like UC4 has a chance of coming close or beating.

I do not disagree with you... I'm holding out hope for Batman being a very visually impressive 3rd party game since they abandoned development on last gen systems... Now they can really push that game graphically without being restricted...

I say PC comparisons are allowed. Unity or Ryse at max settings don't even come close to The Order.

Looks like the screens in OP are without the much criticized post processing and without MSAA but supersampled, and... I prefer the game with post processing and MSAA.

Star Citizen looks really great but it just seems like its evolving on a iterative path visually. It looks like a PC game that is just insanely crisp. The overall image being produced just doesn't wow me like the Order does that is better at mimicking real world visuals.

That probably doesn't make any sense.

Hey nothing wrong with that opinion at all. The Order is gorgeous and I can totally see how it would be someones favorite looking game.

I just give the edge a bit to Star Citizen

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Aother thread on The Order's graphics. This is why I keep saying the graphics are overrated. It's blurry and grainy, it's brownish grey and it runs at less pixels than 900p. It's also very confined and linear. Some people are calling the graphics 'clean' and saying the IQ is great.

This is wrong. 1920x800 has more pixels than 1600x900

The game is great on a technical level, but none of the locations did anything for me. It can have the most realistic graphics, but still be boring. It didn't have that same feeling as when I jumped into games like Uncharted 2, GTAV, and Infamous Second Son.

Oni Jazar

BruceLeeRoy you need to add your gif for dat visceral combat

TheOrder14sm.gif

have to agree, its the best looking game ive ever seen, irrespective of platform. i dont see anything surpassing it for quite some time.

It's the most impressive game that I've ever played graphically - bar none. There were times when I just couldn't believe what I was seeing on my screen; just jaw dropping moments of disbelief. It's really an incredible feat, and so early in the PS4's life cycle as well.

mephixto

Banned
Amazing looking game for consoles, high quality assets, lighting and detail but if you take out the extreme post processing done on the game it will probably lose some points.

I'm not missing the point at all, the OP says things like "the skyboxes don't look like skyboxes" "The steam rising from the buildings and the London city sprawling in all directions makes the whole game feel grounded and just more real than anything else." Well to me I still very much felt like I was stuck, walking down set paths instead of moving around London, you'd look off into the distance and could tell what is and isn't game space.

And "You move with great weight and the soft body physics of your clothes and them not clipping together all over the place just looks so amazing" I saw plenty of my guns clipping through Galahads clothes. Really let's not get ahead of ourselves over the graphics.
That's fine that you feel limited by game space and want this to be an open world game, but that is not what it is and the layering of particle systems across a massive draw distance is doing exactly what BruceLeeRoy mentioned.

There are no 3D games to date without clipping on the market. Anything is possible as far as movement goes, and this one does maintain a much higher level of cloth physics that deter clipping, and even camera angles are positioned with parts that would clip out of frame during transitional cut scenes.

You might as well complain about why the game is so realistic and yet allows you to slow down time or fight against werewolves.

nib95

Banned
I doubt UC4 will look better. "True" 1080p and more open and bigger levels means less impressive graphics generally.

Whilst I agree with you, it is Naughty Dog, and they do have a much bigger development studio, far more experience in the field, and a greater development budget. It will be interesting to see how the game turns out no doubt, but I honestly wish they'd stop farting around trying to chase 60fps and just settle on 30fps locked instead, and then blow out the bells, whistles and scope accordingly.

Jito

Banned
That's fine that you feel limited by game space and want this to be an open world game, but that is not what it is and the layering of particle systems across a massive draw distance is doing exactly what BruceLeeRoy mentioned.

There are no 3D games to date without clipping on the market. Anything is possible as far as movement goes, and this one does maintain a much higher level of cloth physics that deter clipping, and even camera angles are positioned with parts that would clip out of frame during transitional cut scenes.

You might as well complain about why the game is so realistic and yet allows you to slow down time or fight against werewolves.

Hey I'm just countering his points by saying I feel the opposite and saw otherwise, you can't disprove that. The claims that the city felt real, alive or sprawling are unfounded and I saw clipping, simple as. Even his comments about the NPCs I can't agree with, yeh they're detailed but they're some of the most lifeless and pointless NPCs I've seen in a recent game, no movement and limited animations.

charsace

Great looking game, but far a head of everything else? Nope. Batman looks just as good and is open world. Then you have ACU, Ryse, Killzone, Alien Isolation, and a few others.

RK128

Well, the game WAS made by Ready at Dawn and Santa Monica Studios, both famous for producing fantastic visuals and pushing the hardware they work with to the uttermost limits (I mean, just look at Ghost of Sparta, Daxter, GOWIII and Assention; all games that push the PSP and PS3 to there knees and produce some amazing visuals :')).

Granted, it is a shame Order doesn't reach amazing highest with its gameplay and design, but that is beating a dead horse at this point; the game paints just....one of the most realized worlds next gen has produced thus far, even at the expense of its gameplay. I just hope that with a sequel (there WILL be one I think) and it will be the Uncharted 2 to this like that was to Uncharted 1, if that makes sense :).

Overall amazing visuals and some of the most jaw dropping presentational experiences the PS4 has given us so far :D.

I say PC comparisons are allowed. Unity or Ryse at max settings don't even come close to The Order.
To me unity looks better. It could be that grainy filter they use,that turns me off.Plus unity is a much bigger game than the order,which makes it more impressive to me.

Death2494

Well, the game WAS made by Ready at Dawn and Santa Monica Studios, both famous for producing fantastic visuals and pushing the hardware they work with to the uttermost limits (I mean, just look at Ghost of Sparta, Daxter, GOWIII and Assention; all games that push the PSP and PS3 to there knees and produce some amazing visuals :')).

Granted, it is a shame Order doesn't reach amazing highest with its gameplay and design, but that is beating a dead horse at this point; the game paints just....one of the most realized worlds next gen has produced thus far, even at the expense of its gameplay. I just hope that with a sequel (there WILL be one I think) and it will be the Uncharted 2 to this like that was to Uncharted 1, if that makes sense :).

Overall amazing visuals and some of the most jaw dropping presentational experiences the PS4 has given us so far :D.

Don't forget RAD also has people from Naughty Dog and Blizzard (WOW cinematics) cinematic team
wikipedia said:
Ready at Dawn Studios is an American video game developer located in Irvine, California and is composed of former members of Naughty Dog[1] and Blizzard Entertainment.[2] Formed in 2003

Death2494

To me unity looks better. It could be that grainy filter they use,that turns me off.Plus unity is a much bigger game than the order,which makes it more impressive to me.

While Unity looks great (especially on PC) It's doesn't looks as good as The Order: 1886 for the simple fact that it is an open world game. I'm not saying open-world games can't achieve this (Witcher 3) just not Ubisoft (Watch Dogs). But this is your opinion and it is valid when you look at the scope of both games. But a close-up of Galahad has more detail than a close-up of Unity's main character.

RDreamer

I think the lighting especially is what pushes it into crazy amazing territory. It just has this brilliant atmospheric glow to it.

I also loved the art direction. Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel and hope they can really push things even further and do some bigger environments.

While Unity looks great (especially on PC) It's doesn't looks as good as The Order: 1886 for the simple fact that it is an open world game. I'm not saying open-world games can't achieve this (Witcher 3) just not Ubisoft (Watch Dogs). But this is your opinion and it is valid when you look at the scope of both games. But a close-up of Galahad has more detail than a close-up of Unity's main character.

I think Unity on PC has moments that look bettet than The Order but as an overall package Order does look better I agree.

i just finished it this morning, and it's the best looking game i've ever played for any platform. they really outdid themselves on the visuals, certain parts of the game made my jaw drop. and like you said, the firefights can be insane and the engine doesnt seem to miss a frame

one thing that doesnt really get a mention is the instant loading. game fires up, you click continue and a couple of seconds later you are playing. no loading screens or anything. impressive tech for sure.

i know theres a lot of debate on the actual game itself, but i enjoyed most of it and will play the sequel if sales warrant one

wachie

Aother thread on The Order's graphics. This is why I keep saying the graphics are overrated. It's blurry and grainy, it's brownish grey and it runs at less pixels than 900p. It's also very confined and linear. Some people are calling the graphics 'clean' and saying the IQ is great.

I'm glad other people seem to think the same. I feel like I've been taking crazy pills when reading comments on this game's graphics.
HahahahahahahahahahahAhahahahahHhHaha

Oh ok, things like paralax occlusion mapping, higher AF, better volume lights, i just like it more.

It is also doing pretty much all of its lighting in realtime (the order has entire scenes with baked shadowing, ao, and indirect lighting) while supporting volume on every light source and arbitrary area light shapes (and has shadowing on particles). Stuff which this game doesnt have.

The order has more consistent quality in its art though.

iratA

Whilst I agree with you, it is Naughty Dog, and they do have a much bigger development studio, far more experience in the field, and a greater development budget. It will be interesting to see how the game turns out no doubt, but I honestly wish they'd stop farting around trying to chase 60fps and just settle on 30fps locked instead, and then blow out the bells, whistles and scope accordingly.

Yeah I'm kinda with you on this. Having finished The Order I'd love to see what ND could push visually at 30 rather than making too many sacrifices to hit 60.

eot

Banned

Yes, the character models in The Order look better, but some of Unity's indoor environments are insane.

"Benchmark" for very linear, basic shooters that run at 30fps and have less than 1080p resolution (25% less pixel IIRC).

Are there any crazy interactive set-pieces in this game? I recall reading that they even toned down the physics too.

Quite frankly, I'm not impressed. Pull those graphics of in a game with a variety of (more complex) game mechanics and I'll take a look again.

Draft

It looks so good in thumbnails. RAD should have tripled the black bar size and made a real showcase for the ages.

Schryver

I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with the game despite the reviews because of how amazing it looks. Can't wait to replay it later this year. Gorgeous

BumRush

Unfortunately it's also the only redeeming factor about The Order.

Is this like the "it" thing to say? I'm 5 chapters in now and the sound fx, score, gameplay, setting, story and characters are great. What do people find so awful about every non-graphical aspect of this game??

Top Bottom