• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Reviews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Just so we're clear, since people are struggling with this, I'm issuing a warning well ahead of time that if you act like a child in response to review scores for this game, whatever they end up being, you get to miss the game's launch on this forum. We're tired of the way people behave in review threads.

Metacritic: 93

Gaming Age - A

Jimquisition - 10

God is a Geek - 10

Falcon Kick - 10

Game Informer - 9.75

Gametrailers - 9.6

CGM - 9.5

PSU - 9.5

EGMNow - 9.5

MMGN - 9.5

Next-Gen Gaming - 9.5

Bloody Disgusting - 9.5

Gamespot - 9

Destructoid - 9

RPGSite - 9

PlayStation Lifestyle - 9

NeoSeeker - 9

Gaming Nexus - 9

MMORPG - 9

Metro - 9

Financial Post - 9

GameReactor - 9

NZGamer - 8.9

Ztgd - 8

Stevivor - 7.5

-----

DigitalSpy - 5/5

Telegraph - 5/5

Independent - 5/5

Tapezilla - 5/5

Digital Spy - 5/5

The Guardian - 5/5

Stuff - 5/5

NY Daily News - 5/5

The Register - 5/5

Yahoo - 4.5/5

GamesRadar - 4.5/5

The Escapist - 4.5/5

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5/5

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5

Tom's Guide - 4/5

Cheat Code Central - 4/5

-----

RPGFan - 95

Gaming Trend - 95

Shane the Gamer- 95

No Scores

Eurogamer - Essential

Siliconera

Sydney Morning Herald

Report24

Non-English Reviews

IGN Middle East - 9.5

3DJuegos - 9.5

IGN Italy - 9.4

Vandal - 9.4

Meristation - 9.3

Spazio Games - 9

EveryEye - 9

Eurogamer Poland - 9

Gamer.nl - 9

IGN Spain - 9

GameReactor Sweden - 7

NU - 4.5/5

Atomix - 95

Age of Geeks - 90

In Progress

VideoGamer - TBA

IGN - Review in progress

Venturebeat - Review in progress

USGamer - Review in progress

Kotaku - 20 hours in impressions

Forbes - Review in progress

Polygon - 40 hours in thoughts

Hidetaka_Miyazaki.jpg

I'll help you out.

Gamespot-9

Gamespot said:
There is great flexibility among the available weapons, and when I purchased a new sword from the ghoulish vendor station in Hunter's Dream, I found myself switching between the initial cleaver and the larger alternative, upgrading them both with the bloodstones I looted from certain downed enemies, and further enhancing them with blood gems, another valuable resource. In time, I disregarded firearms and relied on my sword in its two-handed form, transforming when gunmen on ledges and slithering snakes required a different approach. As expected, Bloodborne can be brutal--not as hard as Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, but a step above Dark Souls II in its level of difficulty. Mastery requires properly reacting to enemy behavior, understanding how much space you must put between you and your prey, and knowing when--and when not--to exploit health regeneration.

Jim Sterling-10

Jim Sterling said:
As someone who preferred Demon’s Souls over Dark Souls, I am delighted by the complexity of Bloodborne‘s map design, and how interconnected everything becomes as you unlock shortcuts and explore new regions. There’s something exciting and revelationary about discovering just how much the world’s areas weave together, and in unlocking each alternate route. While it’s true Dark Souls featured some of that, the degree to which it’s done here is sublime, and the use of a hub world (in this case, the “Hunter’s Dream”) to give one a familiar sense of home is most evocative of From’s seminal 2009 classic, as is the distinctly urban atmosphere.

This PS4 outing is proof positive that greys and browns in a color scheme do not automatically have to mean dreary, boring visuals. There’s something eerily handsome about Yarnham’s dispiriting gloom, another thing it shares in common with Demon’s Souls, a world densely populated by evidence of a once-glorious city brought low by decay and destruction. Everything looks so slick, from the rain soaking the cobbled streets to the glistening damp of blood and other foul fluids that seem to cling to the city’s mewling aberrations. The fact that Bloodborne is, admittedly, not all that graphically impressive on a technical level is more than made up for by the elegant artistic design and a wonderful attention to detail that marries the disgusting with the alluring.

Reviews confirming how I feel about this game, it's really good. The only things I can see that would bring scores down is the framerate, which isn't terrible, and the long load times.

Aces&Eights

Goddamnit. I feel like I'm couch surfing.

Do we need to sign a lease for this thread?

EDIT: No BiogamerGirl review, yet?

HoJu

nzgamer 8.9/10
While I don’t normally pay much mind to game length in reviews, it may be worth mentioning here. The game took me just over 22 hours to complete at a fairly leisurely pace (compare this to the 50 or so hours for something like Dark Souls). The length isn’t the most egregious part though – it’s the pacing behind it. By the time the credits rolled, I felt like I stumbled into the end sequence, rather than building up to it with appropriate boss battles and locations.

Making the combat more group focused leads to incredible moment-to-moment action, but those changes don’t seem to reflect well in one-on-one encounters. In my time with the game, I defeated most bosses on my first attempt – creating this strange inversion of difficulty, where the gauntlets leading up to them tended to be more difficult...Thankfully, the boss battles do become more difficult on New Game Plus.

nib95

Banned
How many review threads have there been now? The anticipation for the game seems off the charts! Great reviews all around though.

Slowdive

Banned
Videogamer's review in progress: http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/bl...ne_review.html

It is Dark Souls 3 in all but name, a natural evolution for the series. There’ll be times when you feel genuinely lost, frustrated and unsure of your next step. But you will carry on, you will beat it, and when you do, there’s no other game that can make you feel more elated about doing so.

+Combat best it’s ever been.
+Better lock-on system.
+The world is incredibly varied.
-Framerate issues.

Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP-ObWpKzv8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom