• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fixing 97% of Vita's Wi-Fi problems - Solution inside

hesido

Here are two most important settings you have to change:

• Turn OFF Power save settings ---> "use Wi-fi in Power Save Mode" Importance level: Over 9000.
  • In your wi-fi routers settings, change your security setting to "WPA2 / AES". Absolutely no TKIP, force AES and AES only. Importance level: Very.

Edit: Be sure to checkout the official Remote Play topic if you still have problems.

Edit : For PSN connection and store problems (it shouldn't affect local remote play), manually entering DNS's may help further. The TKIP to AES change helping connections is confirmed also by Luigi87.

Source-
From 60fps remoteplay thread:
As has already been said, 30fps games benefit from selecting 60fps streaming.

Oh and make sure "use Wi-fi in Power Save Mode" is disabled on the Vita.

Reminder: The setting can be found in "Power save settings" and not under wi-fi. (Also another mini obstacle no small thanks to the UI team.. You're having wi-fi connection problems and the setting is not found under wi-fi..)

It's a poorly labelled setting on the Vita, you'd think it would mean to continue using Wi-Fi in standby/'power-save' mode.

But really, it means to keep the Wi-Fi chip in a permanent low-power state, meaning signal strength and internet speed is much weaker.

Some months ago, I was having problems, wi-fi was constantly disconnecting, the wi-fi quality bar was low even in the same room... And I even made sure the "use Wi-fi in Power Save mode" turned on, hey, I didn't want Wi-fi to turn off when I close the screen or wi-fi was idle. Right? WRONG. I found out that you actually have to turn that off to fix those problems!

On 60 fps remote play thread, Vashetti reminded of this setting and judging by the responses, I'm making a new thread to let people know of this fix. And till this day, I didn't know why that prefrences meant, until Vashetti pointed out why. Damn it Sony, how can anyone having Wi-fi problems actually figure it out to disable that setting? You either document it well on spot or choose a proper title for it. You did neither.

279af1e2564b709adc8adb7bf4c2df3605906c143c472dd1df3b0027af5dacb0.jpg

Baleoce

Just checked, and it was ticked... Thank you OP / the person you quoted. At a loss for words, is this checked by default, or did I do this myself thinking it would mean wifi data would still transfer in an idle state? I don't even know anymore.

DieH@rd

Banned
This was known from before, but we Vita owners never manged to popularize it. :D Anyhow, 60fps RP is great with Vita [direct mode in my case]. Great added feature for PS4 gaming.

But beware, this will not solve all problems!
- On larger distances, you can switch from direct to router mode, especially if your router is badass and has good and strong antennas
- It is highly preferred that PS4 is connected to the internet via LAN cable, so that it's WIFi module is free for direct connection [cable also sends data better to router if you don't want direct PS4>Vita connection].
- Check your airspace for 2.4Ghz WiFi signal congestion. People in building appartments can often catch 20+ WiFi signals, which can interfere with Vita. Vita settings have a feature of changing channels. Use that to pick best possible channel.
- To preform RP from outside of home, both home and away router need to behave correctly. This is area that stops many people from contacting their home PS4 when they are away.
- To some rare few... nothing can provide good RP. :-/

For more info, check FAQ, tips and user impressions in Remote Play OT

Jedi2016

That is stupid wording on Sony's behalf, especially if there's no instructions or text to go with it. I wonder how many calls their support group gets on this?

wrowa

Wow, need to check my Vita ASAP. Always thought that my Vita was either broken or that Vita's wi-fi is terrible in general.

jaina

I don't use remote play yet, but thanks anyway for explaining that setting. I'm one of those who misunderstood it.

Gonna have to give this a try. Last week I was in the same room as my router, sitting on the couch about six feet away and was getting 57%. I just couldn't fathom it being that terrible. Hadn't played remote play in months cause it was so crappy. Really hope this works.

Edit: well shit, mine was already disabled, so still no fix for me.

Edit 2: I didn't have the absolute latest software update so I'm still holding onto hope. Will update.

Edit 3: still getting the same bad percentage :(

Cade

....Son of a bitch. I've had my Vita since day 2 and have always had it in that mode. Fucking Sony settings.

McFadge

Part of that 3% is Sony allowing my Vita to connect to WPA Enterprise networks. Want to remote play from Uni :(

KupoNut

Oh wow, remote play always was bad even though my internet was really stable and good; just noticed it was in that setting too, thanks so much!

Zenfalcia

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Very happy this has been brought to attention and baffled at how something could be so poorly described.

My remote play experience is still poor even with that setting off. Something might be wrong with my vita. And yes it is connected directly to my ps4 :-(.

DaBoss

I think I'll keep it enabled to keep the amazing battery life lol.

Don't have a PS4 for remote play and don't have games that I would play online, so yea.

Thanks for the heads up.

Vanguard

I remember when I first found out about this because it kept automatically pausing my downloads when it was enabled.

Alienous

HOLY SHIT.

That's what that meant!? I thought it led me download stuff in sleep-mode.

Haha, what the fuck? Comprehension, man.

Ein Bear

Oh holy shit! Is that why remote play has never worked for me since launch? The phrasing on that couldn't be worse.

dakun

From 60fps remoteplay thread:

Some months ago, I was having problems, wi-fi was constantly disconnecting, the wi-fi quality bar was low even in the same room... And I even made sure the "use Wi-fi in Power Save mode" turned on, hey, I didn't want Wi-fi to turn off when I close the screen or wi-fi was idle. Right? WRONG. I found out that you actually have to turn that off to fix those problems!

On 60 fps remote play thread, Vashetti reminded of this setting and judging by the responses, I'm making a new thread to let people know of this fix. And till this day, I didn't know why that prefrences meant, until Vashetti pointed out why. Damn it Sony, how can anyone having Wi-fi problems actually figure it out to disable that setting? You either document it well on spot or choose a proper title for it. You did neither.

HOLY SHIT.. from the first day i had my PS4 i always had TERRIBLE lag on my vita.. and it is actually because of the terribly worded option!

Seriously.. that is laughably bad wording by Sony.. i've used my Vita since it's release date in that mode.. thinking it was for the very thing you described.

Damn, had my Vita since launch and had sometimes problems downloading stuff and lately it would often lose Wi-Fi connection, hope this will solve it. Already feared my beloved Vita was shitting the bed.

Maybe it's also time to try remote play again, didn't really work that well when I tried it out.

BigDug13

They worded this setting about as poorly as possible.

Not only that, but they put it into a settings page where the ONLY other setting is talking about how long until the system goes into standby. Further reinforcing the idea that it was a setting that related to standby.

Sony really needs to fix this. This incompetence has caused dozens of gamers to think remote play sucked. Dozens! ;p

Luigiv

Oh cool, now the PSN store is actually usable. I was wondering why it was even slower than the PS3 store when everyone else was claiming the contrary. What a shitty setting, why does it even exist in the first place?

Top Bottom