• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's digital pre-order of Resident Evil Revelations 2 causes license restore problem

It's been well over a month since episode 1 was released on February 24th and Sony hasn't done much to acknowledge this problem. People who bought this package on PSN also received the "Resident Evil Revelations 2 DLC raid stage 1" add-on content and that is one of the problematic files that causes license restore issues:

original

original

Which shows that it was never installed correctly and the NP-34993-8 error code message is what we all get.
The "Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Complete Season" file was never installed either and that could be causing the license restore problems too:

And then there are also issues with buying additional dlc weapons and slots.
Sony was telling us that it was a problem with Capcom and we should be contacting them. Some of us contacted Capcom and we eventually got a response back from Sony with them giving us voucher codes. Scroll to "TooLVolta's" post on page 29 and this is what happened when we tried to redeem these codes:

Currently the only way to fix this problem (license restore) is to get a refund and have this game removed from your console. Please scroll to "HaloSeed0's" post on page 28:

http://community.us.playstation.com...rder-Throwback-Maps-not/td-p/45000095/page/28

Other users have asked Sony to just remove the game from their consoles without the refund and they were denied ! Sony's TOS clearly states that all sales are final and yet they're granting refunds to certain individuals and denying others. This isn't the way to treat their customers when Sony has sold us a defective product. You either fix the problem or refund the money to the people who have been affected by this mess.

The only semi-official response that we got is from a mod on playstation support forums:

Hi all,

Our store team is aware of the issue. Thanks for the reports.
We're temporarily marking this as solution to let you know we have eyes on this.

U--J
PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com

It's a month old and all mods are ignoring the thread ever since : (

Thread on playstation support forums:
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Pre-Order (Throwback Maps) not available

Thread on capcom forums:
PS4 - Throwback Map Pack not showing up in game.

I advise everyone who pre-orderd Resident Evil Revelations 2 on Ps4 to check their license restore and see if it's still working !

Now I'd be fine with just not having access to throwback dlc.

But far, far bigger problem is license restore issue. Since Rev 2 dlc is broken there is no way to restore your license on your ps4 !

I have to say, I'm hugely disappointed the way Sony is handling this...

This seems bad. It is a regional issue or does this happen to say Japan account too? Maybe Sony can't find what made this wrong or deem it not a priority. Not sure which is worst.

DryvBy

Ugh. This is just another example of a flaw in the digital-only age. I'm fine if others want to go digital-only, but the idea everyone should? No thanks. I like playing my games without worrying about a company's licensing issues.

Here's what worries me...
What happens if I let's say have my PS4 replaced ?
Sure I deactivate my profile on the old console and all that. But will I even be able to use my profile on a new console since license restore is not working ?

Right now everything is working beside Rev2 dlc but as soon as there are some issues that require license restore I'm fucked ? : O

EekTheKat

I'm a victim of this glitch as well. AFAIK a similar error happened to dying light ultimate edition. Took several weeks for them to address it.

The bigger issue is the license restore error caused by what I think is the system attempting to check the license of a non existent file, since this may affect certain future purchases.

IMHO, Someone at Sony or Capcom misnamed a dlc file that the game isn't recognizing, and neither company have been moving very fast to get this resolved.

SeanTSC

Yep, it's total bullshit and I get the exact same issue. It's ridiculous that it's been over a month and Sony still hasn't fixed it so that we can play downloaded content that we paid for and that it breaks the License Restore function.

Dambrosi

Banned
I've had no problems so far with my RER2 install, pre-order DLC and all. Is this just a USA thing, or should I be worried further down the road? UK GAFfer here.

I've had no problems so far with my RER2 install, pre-order DLC and all. Is this just a USA thing, or should I be worried further down the road? UK GAFfer here.

Could be. I'm from Europe but I've pre-orderd on US store. Sony definitely messed up something when uploading the files.

But can you also restore license ?

ViciousDS

Banned
I had a license restore issue once......had to completely factory restore my console. Once I did that no problems. In fact my console was bugged to the point that system restore and PS+ saves to cloud didn't work and error'ed out.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's not an acceptable answer from Sony that this is a Capcom issue.

Clearly the system they have in place allows this glitch to occur, with Driveclub and now RER2 being examples of it screwing up the licenses if you have certain add-ons in certain scenaros.

As you've investigated the issue, maybe you can contact Jason Schreier at Kotaku to make this a news story which will then be copy pasted across other media (as they always do) to generate some publicity for this stuff.

Sony is responsible that their store front and digital rights stuff works on their console, and not third parties.

This is only with digital pre order versions right? I have a physical copy so am I safe to install?
Physical copies have the license validated at run-time by checking the disc.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
TC, thanks for creating this thread. Not having the promised content is frustrating, but the license error has been driving me kind of nuts.

It's ridiculous that this issue has lingered so long. I've always been comfortable with digital-only purchases, but the lack of communication, let alone resolution, really troubles me.

Canada PSN here, and same issue =(

I had the same problem with Dying Light for a long time and contacted support multiple times without ever getting anywhere they would refuse to give me a supervisor and just hang up or disconnect me so I gave up.

I have a few ps4's and not being able to sync my licenses isn't working out very well =/

I was excited to see this finally brought up here because we haven't had anything from Sony's end for more then a month now =/

Moosehole

Thanks for making a thread about this.. I made the capcom-unity thread which eventually went nowhere, and I made a thread in Sony's MVP Support forum, again, to no avail.

wcvince

Neo Member
Can't believe this still hasn't been fixed. Incredibly frustrating that Capcom and Sony seem to be ignoring the problem. Even more frustrating when Sony refused me of a refund.

SURGEdude

Pretty amazing that this issue still hasn't been fixed. Makes me quite weary of pre-ordering off PSN on top of just my general fear of getting a crap game.

Yama

Was just asking about this on here and Biohaze. Glad you made a thread, now let's keep this up so we can link to it if need be.

I pre-ordered Rev 2.

I can not access the Throwback Map Pack.

My licenses are now corrupted.

kamineko

Sorry for the double-post, but as the TC of the thread about this on the Sony PS4 board, I wanted to quickly update anyone still in limbo with this.

It seems that you can now call Sony support (I know, I know) about the licensing issue in particular and at least get that fixed. You can check the last couple of pages of that long-ass thread to see a playbook of how that phone call ought to go.

I'm just completely disgusted by all this. There's no way to hold Sony accountable for the problem. It appears that they can be completely indifferent to shorting customers on purchased content and there is no accountability at all. I guess after DriveClub, people just expect this kind of thing, so it just seems like no big deal, business as usual.

There's some good guidance in the last couple of pages and some very helpful people (fellow gamers) that can advise if you're having trouble.

Depressing Sony Support Community Thread

I still haven't had any luck correcting this yet. The ones that got license fixes or refunds must have got the few useful PSN support reps or something. They flat out deny everything when I call and just keep insisting that I do a full system format and redownload everything (my bandwidth cap says gtfo).

I am officially done pre-ordering anything, I still haven't gotten pre-order bonuses from Dying Light on PSN and then the same BS happens with the RE throwback map pack bonus... What the hell?!

I am so fed up with Sony just passing the blame back and forth between the customers and developers. They have hands down the worst customer support I have ever encountered.

le-seb

So this Driveclub issue was never fixed right ?
It was fixed in December.

We've received some coupons to redeem working DLC, and something was fixed so that restoring licences wouldn't choke on the bad one any more.
The bad DLC is still there in the library, though.

Just wanted to give this a bump since I saw it before bed last night and tried to restore my licenses this morning and got the error, hopefully this gets to some more people who may have this issue and have not realize what happened. It is ludicrous that this has been a problem for as long as it has and still hasn't been fixed. I hope it gets taken care of because I really don't want to have to wrestle with getting a refund from customer service.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
fwiw, I've already asked both Sony and Capcom to look into this (readers have told me about this for a little while now), and I'm told it's being investigated. Hope to have more soon on Kotaku.

SeanTSC

fwiw, I've already asked both Sony and Capcom to look into this (readers have told me about this for a little while now), and I'm told it's being investigated. Hope to have more soon on Kotaku.

Thanks for doing that! I still have this issue as well and it's some real bullshit.

Alec

Ahhh, so it's RE2 causing this. I thought it was my DriveClub DLC.

I've contacted support three times, each time being told they were putting in a ticket. That was about a month ago, haven't heard anything.

kamineko

Cool deal. Thanks for looking into it.

Alec

I decided to try chat support again and had probably the worst experience from Sony thus far. Once the dude forcefully closed the chat, I immediately went back in and got someone who was willing to help. So now I'm waiting on my refund.

How would we know if this is something that affects us? I preordered driveclub (just the day before it went live). Is there something to be on the lookout for? I've got 2 ps4s in my household and me and my son game share which might further complicate things.

le-seb

Driveclub's problem only affected people who had preordered the game from the EU store.
Try restoring your licences if in doubt, but this ain't the kind of thing you wouldn't have noticed if affected, as the related DLC wouldn't download.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Thank you... this is really annoying.

Hey btw some of their DLC wont work for us either. The bonus map pack has been unavailable since the game launched, And they haven't commented on it, as far as I know.

I mean that's pretty messed up. They took money (though I don't quite recall the details, if it was sold separately or part of some preorder bundle.) for something that doesn't work.

sja_626

I've got all sorts of problems like this where add ons stay as "preordered". Across 8 or 10 games, including Revelations 2. I've just ignored them til now thinking it would require a console reinitialization. But I've just got a brand new, fresh second PS4 and a lot of the issues have carried across.

So obviously my account is fucked. I'm now starting to take it more seriously. Will have to do a bit more investigating of behaviors between first and second console though. Biggest concern for me is that it's still happenening with new games. So even if I can clean up this mess I'm not confident it won't keep happening. Get your shit together Sony. This is not acceptable.

Interestingly SOME of the messed up content can be downloaded and used, some can't. Also on a couple of occasions I have the add-on content, it appears in game, the tile in the library says "X Add-Ons", but there's no "My Add-Ons" section when I view the game.

The common denominator for me seems to be games that I've tried to manually trigger a pre-load on. Often a download link will appear on a pre-pre-order game, I'll optimistically click it, but the content clearly isn't available in the store yet and the download will fail. End result of that seems to generally be any included add-on content = fucked. So I'm staying away from that for now. Using the EU store btw.

Evolved1

I got my refund a while back... I can still play the game and my flashback maps are finally working...

Are they? I will have to check myself... since I just posted about it. haha

Edit: Nope, still not available. :/

Evolved1

I've got all sorts of problems like this where add ons stay as "preordered". Across 8 or 10 games, including Revelations 2. I've just ignored them til now thinking it would require a console reinitialization. But I've just got a brand new, fresh second PS4 and a lot of the issues have carried across.

So obviously my account is fucked. I'm now starting to take it more seriously. Will have to do a bit more investigating of behaviors between first and second console though. Biggest concern for me is that it's still happenening with new games. So even if I can clean up this mess I'm not confident it won't keep happening. Get your shit together Sony. This is not acceptable.

Interestingly SOME of the messed up content can be downloaded and used, some can't. Also on a couple of occasions I have the add-on content, it appears in game, the tile in the library says "X Add-Ons", but there's no "My Add-Ons" section when I view the game.

The common denominator for me seems to be games that I've tried to manually trigger a pre-load on. Often a download link will appear on a pre-pre-order game, I'll optimistically click it, but the content clearly isn't available in the store yet and the download will fail. End result of that seems to generally be any included add-on content = fucked. So I'm staying away from that for now. Using the EU store btw.

I get this too. There's a bunch of stuff from different games, where it doesn't work. I feel like it's tied to pre-orders/pre-order bonuses. So I'm not going to pre-order any more. I usually buy digital for the convenience and for the pre-load. But this shit is starting to annoy me.

Top Bottom