• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pew Research: Christianity in America declines, unbelief/other religions rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Interesting data, worth reading in full.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

To be sure, the United States remains home to more Christians than any other country in the world, and a large majority of Americans – roughly seven-in-ten – continue to identify with some branch of the Christian faith.1 But the major new survey of more than 35,000 Americans by the Pew Research Center finds that the percentage of adults (ages 18 and older) who describe themselves as Christians has dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years, from 78.4% in an equally massive Pew Research survey in 2007 to 70.6% in 2014. Over the same period, the percentage of Americans who are religiously unaffiliated – describing themselves as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” – has jumped more than six points, from 16.1% to 22.8%. And the share of Americans who identify with non-Christian faiths also has inched up, rising 1.2 percentage points, from 4.7% in 2007 to 5.9% in 2014. Growth has been especially great among Muslims and Hindus, albeit from a very low base.

CExyAB2VAAAes_Q.png:large

What do you guys think of the results? I'm personally surprised there have been such big changes in such a relatively short time.

Fury451

Banned
More aggressive tactics to increase their ranks.

How does this work?

It's not like they can kidnap people on the street and force them to become Protestants or Evangelicals.

Some will rant and rave on television and radio, but that's nothing different. The rest will go on living their lives with their belief systems as usual.

danm999

Article says the biggest drop has been with younger Americans which pretty much tracks with irreligiousity in other western countries.

Hunter S.

For some reason I always assume Americans to be Christians and W. Europeans to be agnostic/atheist.
I mean in every day life. People talking about god to you like are a practicing Christian without even asking. That and having relatives asking you if you are Christian and then looking all sad when you say no. Some even try to convince you of god. It is annoying.

Tabris

Just need to wait for 2 more generations to die off in America for a real progressive society. Generation X, which is the lowest voting generation of all time is still an issue. Need to get past that generation.

Once Generation Y is in power, the dynamics shift quite a bit.

Enthus

Wasn't there another study not too long ago saying religion is on the rise globally?

Christianity is growing in Africa due to massive birth rates and large missionary efforts from the West. In fifty years, Sub-Saharan Africa will be more Christian than any other place on Earth.

Big-E

Good, but there is still some troubling things here. The evangelicals barely dropped while the Catholics and Protestants had significant drops. Percentage is going down but the more diehard and fundamentalists are becoming a larger and larger part of Christianity. Might cause issues in the future if there is no one on the other side of the religion to combat fundamentalism.

Good, but there is still some troubling things here. The evangelicals barely dropped while the Catholics and Protestants had significant drops. Percentage is going down but the more diehard and fundamentalists are becoming a larger and larger part of Christianity. Might cause issues in the future if there is no one on the other side of the religion to combat fundamentalism.
I'm not really sure now atheist fundamentalists would even look; the current "euphoric" stereotype is not something people can rally around in the face of the more 'virtuous' image presented by other religions.

Two Words

How does this work?

It's not like they can kidnap people on the street and force them to become Protestants or Evangelicals.

Some will rant and rave on television and radio, but that's nothing different. The rest will go on living their lives with their belief systems as usual.
I'm not talking about some religious rioting or something. More like a heavier focus on fear-mongering our youth with Hell.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm honestly a little worried how the religious will respond as their numbers drop.

Worried? Doomsday? 666? :)

I think the radical "end of the world is coming this week" are slowly declining. Outside of that I'm not quite sure. In my experience the younger crowd denies their religious faith once they reach that age group. The churches around town still hold large Easter services and they still attend youth groups. Does that say our entire nation is somehow declining? I guess I don't really believe these polls in the sense that you can deny your faith once you're recognized for having faith.

Do they consider that the majority of hospitals around the nation are Catholic or Christian based? To me the only difference is how you look at the story of Christ and his teachings. I mean why fight a religion that has one set goal in mind?

I don't believe we're somehow seeing a large decline. When I went to the homeless shelter to volunteer; I saw that the largest help our state has is from a religious organization.

Anyone could possibly say that that's not reflecting real personal feelings, but the money in the church is a real thing regardless of how these are answered. The Church has basically been an industry and a service for many decades now. Is denying religion something only a certain group of people do at a certain time? I think there will still be families attending church, but I don't think they'll want to be labeled as a Christian. I think some people want to be considered Catholic because it has a certain aesthetic to it.

If you boil it all down to what he or she thinks you'll come across many different factors, but I also realize that once you start thinking something; you'll soon realize it was just the opposite. I can remember countless of teens from my youth who "-''lost faith''-''. I didn't merit it because they went through some hard times and they weren't receiving anything for their faith.

I wouldn't say its a sign when people claim to ''lose their faith''. I'll believe it more when the church starts to lose ''money''.

What's the most important aspect to life besides your health? Money. Money makes the world go around.

Tabris

afaik, eastern germany and czech are the least religious people in europe.

...and probably scandinavia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where-to-be-born_Index

1 Switzerland 8.22
2 Australia 8.12
3 Norway 8.09
4 Sweden 8.02

5 Denmark 8.01
6 Singapore 8.00
7 New Zealand 7.95
8 Netherlands 7.94

9 Canada 7.81
10 Hong Kong 7.80

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country - Ordered by citizens considering religion not important

Sweden 16.5% 83%
Denmark 18% 80.5%

Estonia 16% 78%
Norway 20.5% 78%
Hong Kong 23% 75.5%
Netherlands 24.5% 75.5%

Japan 23.5% 75%
Czech Republic 20.5% 74.5%
United Kingdom 26.5% 73%
Finland 28% 70%
France 29.5% 69.5%
Vietnam 29.5% 69.5%
Australia 32% 67.5%
New Zealand 33% 66%

Not a coincidence.

As a Canadian though, I'm disappointed we're still too high on religious importance, also surprised Switzerland is still pretty high:

Canada 42% 57%
Switzerland 41.5% 56%

Here is the United States:

United States 65% 34.5%

They've had decades to make effective changes and they haven't. Adapting religion to our present context as a society while keeping the heart of Christianity in place (it's a redemption narrative, basically) would keep religion socially relevant for a lot of people or help to fulfill the needs of those who might still benefit from it. But that generally didn't happen, and now it's boiling down to a reason vs. superstition debate for a lot of people because no one wants to have an open discussion about what religion could be now, least of all the people who benefit from the old system. But I could see how Christianity could be a hard religion to adapt, it's not something as philosophical as Buddhism or decentralized as Taoism. I mean I guess Catholicism has Aquinas but it's not like anyone really gives a shit. Oh well. It's like when Blockbuster stores went out of business, people only went there because they thought they had to.

I mean in every day life. People talking about god to you like are a practicing Christian without even asking. That and having relatives asking you if you are Christian and then looking all sad when you say no. Some even try to convince you of god. It is annoying.

Is this common in the US? I barely ever see anyone in Australia act like this.

Hell, even the super religious girl at work doesn't talk about religion unless you bring it up.

That's largely correct.
In some European countries like Germany you have to pay a special tax to be recognized as a member of a religion; in the United States you literally just have to check a box. I wonder what the rates of religiosity would look like in the United States if the polling was done in a more quantitative way.
I live in the so-called Bible Belt; I think if GAF's liberal members could see how overtly religious it can be down here it'd frighten them. I've lived my whole life here and it even unsettles me sometimes, as some of the more hardcore Christians can be a bit scary.
I'm not really sure what this is even supposed to mean. "Aggressive tactics?" Anyway, what will probably actually occur is that the fundamentalists will become even more polarized and separated from mainstream American culture. This is obviously not good.

Hell, even the super religious girl at work doesn't talk about religion unless you bring it up.

Yeah. Can echo this. I've only met... 2 aggressively religious people that went out of their ways to invite me to church etc. Them Asian-centric churches in Australia can be pretty cultish, tbh.

I attended once.

ONCE.

Eølipile;163619923 said:
In some European countries like Germany you have to pay a special tax to be recognized as a member of a religion;

Wait. Seriously?

That sounds...unneeded.

Yeah. Can echo this. I've only met... 2 aggressively religious people that went out of their ways to invite me to church etc. Them Asian-centric churches in Australia can be pretty cultish, tbh.

I attended once.

ONCE.

Oh yeah, Asian churches (primarily Korean and Vietnamese) tend to be a lot more fervent than the average religious group in Australia.

One thing to note however, is that it isn't entirely about religion for those churches. There's a big sense of community as migrants often feel isolated and alone, and those churches, filled with people with similar experiences, provides community and support, which partially explains why going to church is such a Big Deal for those communities.

Fury451

Banned

On occasion someone on the street might stop and talk to you about it, but you can usually see them ahead of time as they're passing out information or something. I've never found it to be a common occurrence and I live in a fairly densely populated area. Then again I have a largely different experience with Christianity than some seem to here- yes, I've experienced my fair share of "crazies", and there are some weird people at times, but most that I have known have been nothing but loving, caring, genuine, giving, people that are just as much family as anyone blood related.

As for family being sad or disappointed when you say you're not interested, it's because they're looking at it as a matter of saving souls, yours in particular. It's mostly born out of a true affection and care, despite it being "annoying" (and some family can get quite aggressive about it to where it really is more offputting than it should be and further widens that gap of wanting anything to do with it).

I'm not talking about some religious rioting or something. More like a heavier focus on fear-mongering our youth with Hell.

Doesn't this research show that youth eventually have to make their own decisions about faith anyways? And that some are choosing to not identify as such anymore at a growing rate?

i'm not sure what tactics you may be thinking that they can employ in that case, as certain sects have always been "fire and brimstone" regardless. I've never found scaremongering to be the point of faith either, but I realize that that's a lot of people's experiences with it. But even if you're raised in a faith, someday you have to make your own choice about it.

Valhelm

contribute something

It's entirely regional, and class sometimes plays a part as well. It's incredibly common for people to casually mention God or prayer in times of stress, and I think often it's an effort to assert or defend one's own piety.

For example, once a week you'll probably hear somebody say that they were praying for something, or that God gave them something, or that something was God's will.

That being said, the vast majority of Americans don't act like this. Outside of the Midwest and the South, it's pretty rare. And people who aren't Christian, Muslim, or Orthodox Jewish tend to be incredibly private about their religious beliefs. I know several Hindus, but have never once heard them speak about religion. Mainstream Jews tend to be pretty secular, and every Asian person I know (except for a few Korean Christians) appears to be an atheist.

Valhelm

contribute something
How does this work?

It's happened in the past, actually! Religious aggression in the US usually doesn't involve force or cruelty these days, but usually marketing. Churches increase membership by offering services to people, in exchange for attendance.

Some academics have actually argued that the freedom of religion in the United States made the country so religious. Because various Protestant sects were competing for members, they offered different services. This is the most common type of religious aggression, because churches offering tons of services (in the 19th century, this would include social groups, sports for young men, dances for teenagers, music ensembles, and schooling) essentially rewarded people for their piety. The more you went to church, the more you were able to enjoy the secular aspects of church that were unlikely to be found elsewhere. In most small towns today, churches are the only places where live music happens, and are often the only significant meeting places.

Because most European countries had much less religious plurality, they enjoyed a slow decrease in religiousness. If your town has one church, the churchpeople have no motivation to provide better services. People would go to church for religious reasons, and then go elsewhere for musical, social, or athletic outlets. Even the small towns mentioned earlier tend to often have one or two churches, to cater to the slightly different Protestant sects in a community. All across the Midwest you'll find towns with three or four churches at an intersection, usually all Protestant. This was incredibly uncommon in Europe until the modern era.

Some people also believe that the World Wars were so sobering that they killed off most piety in Europe, but I think this is often exaggerated.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Seems like a lot of wishful thinking by people who aren't happy with the status quo. It's like when people say white people won't be the majority in the year 9000. Well there are still a shit-ton of white and religious people now and there are many things that could happen between now and the year 9000 that could change all of that so they aren't really telling you anything at all.

Paskil

Our country has lost its way from the path of Jesus. Once, we were a moral nation of men
and slaves
. Then we allowed women to vote. Prayer was disallowed in schools. It became worse with government sanctioned fetal genocide. Now this news comes, the rising of the godless heathens. Next month, a secular court will cast down thousands of years of tradition and the sanctity of marriage. Beware! The end times are dawning.

I fear for the souls of all
except the godless heathens

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wouldn't start celebrating. Evangelicals weren't the group that dropped sharply, mainline Christianity was the group that dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom