• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Re-Read of Ice and Fire || 2015 || The Winds of Winter Is Coming *spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

iQNpXwY.jpg

UNMARKED SPOILERS! Same as the book thread - anything up to the end of Dance is fair game. Tag Winds of Winter preview chapters! Again, SPOILERS!

DouTDkO.jpg

With Winds of Winter coming (possibly) before Season 6, we thought now is ripe for a re-read of the series. We've spent so long living HBO's version that I think it's time to freshen up our knowledge of Kettleblacks, Patchfaces, and Moonboy for all I know. There is no Ros here, but Manderlys, Damphairs, and crippled heirs. Time to say valar morghulis to Ros and the Karl Fooking Legend Tanner and "not today" to Mance, Val not Morghulis and Dalla.

Currently I'm looking at covering about a chapter a day, or 7 chapters a week. This could increase or decrease depending on several factors, including and not excluding the release date of Winds announcement, the speed in which we are advancing, the increase/decrease in participating members, the ethics of journalism in gaming, and whether it's just not realistic enough.

UPDATES WILL BE ON SUNDAY NIGHTS. What the hell ELSE are you going to do until March/April of 2016?

KEEP TV DISCUSSION TO A MINIMUM. Consider this a book thread. While comparing the books and shows is important and will happen regardless, let's try and keep discussion about the show in general down. This is NOT another thread to complain about an actor's ability or why this person was added or most importantly, what major headlines making controversy is going on. There are several threads for both book and TV talk combined. Much like the Book Thread, we prefer to stay away from these things. Again, comparing the books and show and even criticizing decisions = okay. Kit Harrington's hair or someone getting sexually assaulted on the show should either go in it's own thread or in the TV aimed threads.

WE ENCOURAGE TINFOIL.

NOTE: this is only v.1. I'm human and a dad and work sometimes, so keep that in mind as well.

9RwM04R.jpg

HERE IS THE CALENDAR OF OUR READING SCHEDULE (up to the end of Storm).

FOR THIS RE-READ we are keeping in mind that some of you prefer the combined Feast and Dance books. Before we get to those books, please let us know if we should be posting one of the mixes, the other mix, a combination of all mixes plus whichever book we would be on if we were following them in published order and then please give me a drink for making me do all that work. I like those apple beer things.

A Ball of Beasts
All Leather Must Be Boiled

SITES

A Wiki of Ice and Fire
Westeros.org
Wikipedia
http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf
Pure A Song of Ice and Fire Subreddit - no book talk

RfXrEA6.jpg

Amazon
Amazon Kindle
Barnes and Nobles/Nook

k036RUt.jpg

WEEK 8: CLASH - AH AHHHHH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

ACOK 1: Prologue - Maester Cressen attempts to poison Melisandre, but she is unaffected, and he only succeeds in killing himself.
ACOK 2: Arya I - Arya travels north with Yoren and a bunch of recruits bound for the Wall.
ACOK 3: Sansa I - Sansa attends a tournament held for King Joffrey's name day. Tyrion finally arrives at King's Landing.
ACOK 4: Tyrion I - Tyrion presents himself to Cersei and is confirmed as Hand of the King.
ACOK 5: Bran I - Bran thinks about the comet and the Walders and enters Summer as a warg.
ACOK 6: Arya II - Yoren's group is accosted by gold cloaks looking for Gendry.
ACOK 7: Jon I - Lord Commander Mormont tells Jon about how Maester Aemon's vows were tested to see Jon's resolve to keep his own vows.
ACOK 8: Catelyn I - Robb gives Ser Cleos Frey peace terms to take to Cersei. Catelyn decides that Robb must treat with Renly.
ACOK 9: Tyrion II - Tyrion sends Lord Janos Slynt to the Wall.
ACOK 10: Arya III - Yoren takes his party off the kingsroad in an effort to avoid pursuit.

Again, HERE is the calendar of our reading schedule so far.

Thanks for putting the thread together bengraven. I'm looking forward to taking part and hope I (and most) stick with it.

Razzer

Will definitely take part! Was due for a reread. Are we allowed to go faster than others, I'm not sure I could limit myself to a chapter a day with these books.

gdt

Yeah I'm due for a reread as well. Now I'm pondering getting the Kindle versions now that I have one or sticking with the paperbacks. I actually haven't read anything on my Kindle yet.

bengraven

Thanks for putting the thread together bengraven. I'm looking forward to taking part and hope I (and most) stick with it.

Please feel free to mod abuse the heck out of this. I haven't had to make an actual "official" style thread in years - so also please forgive the circa 2002 PaintShopPro icons and fonts. :p It's been that long.

Will definitely take part! Was due for a reread. Are we allowed to go faster than others, I'm not sure I could limit myself to a chapter a day with these books.

I'm the type to get way ahead, too. Which is why I was actually considering about 9 chapters. We'll see - this is just a prelim to get people interested and subscribed. I haven't done the calendar yet.

lol at all the pictures of people cut from the show

LOL I wondered how long it would take - very impressed that it was the first post. Give yourself a point!

Doing a re-read myself right now. I doubt I'll stick to any sort of a schedule, but I'm on Eddard I right now. It's great how much more I pick up in the a second read, even if I'm barely into it.

gdt

Hold on I'm behind on the show....I need to watch seasons 4 and 5.

They cut Lady Stoneheart?

tirminyl

I'm in. Just re-downloaded all my Kindle books to my tablet. The bus ride home from work should provide ample time to knock out a chapter or three.

Those of you that have recently finished or just want to do some stretches of the series, feel free to chime in whenever you want. We'll just have a set of chapters for discussion each week. This will be pretty casual.

Matty77

Just finished Game of Thrones for the first time, and I am about 300 pages into Clash so I will subscribe to this thread, thanks for putting this together!

Daemul

I would like to commit to this, but I'll probably just end up forgetting and instead end up binge re-reading the 5 books a month or so before the 6th one comes out. This wouldn't be too bad I guess since I would remember more that way.

Moff

subbed, I probably won't find the time to read a chapter a day, but I'm very interested to read what people are discussing

Looking forward to this, been wanting to reread for a while, this is a great excuse.

Since this is my first reread of the series, I'm looking forward to the Feast for Dragons combination, hopefully it's convenient enough.

Wanted to do a full re-read recently anyway to get through some of the details I missed in my first read.
Count me in. Might do more than 1 chapter a day/7 a week, but we'll see.

As for AFFC/ADWD: IMO just do them in regular order (i.e. first Feast then Dance). Partly because I dunno if I could manage going any other way cause I have the paperback box and timespans within the series are so weird anyway. *_*

Love the OP btw. Very clever.

Tucah

you speak so well
I've been meaning to do my reread soon, so this looks like a good time to jump on. I'd like to read the combined AFFC/ADWD when we get there, all my read/rereads of those books have been on their own and I'd like to try it that way.

cj_iwakura

Heh, laying on the ether with that last image.

I've re-read up to Feast recently, so I could re-read that and Dance.

Someone stole my copy of GoT. :( It had the sweet European cover and everything.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'd join but I'm just finishing up my first read of "A Ball of Beasts," I gotta say I highly recommend it. Things just flow so much better besides some of the early repetition. Plus, I've probably read the whole series at least twice and probably re-read Dance like three times now all in the span of two years.

pashmilla

Banned
I started rereading AGOT just before this thread was announced. I might hold off reading the rest until it starts. I've only ever read until partway through ACOK, so it'll be a good way to plough through the rest.

I'd join but I'm just finishing up my first read of "A Ball of Beasts," I gotta say I highly recommend it. Things just flow so much better besides some of the early repetition. Plus, I've probably read the whole series at least twice and probably re-read Dance like three times now all in the span of two years.

I'm really tempted to do it that way myself when I get to it. The recommendation helps.

Kuroyume

Banned
Which of those mising characters hurts the most? For me it's Coldhands. I know Stoneheart will get a lot of votes but the idea of this bad ass dead knight/thing fighting the white walker dead is cool to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom