• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Re-Read of Ice and Fire || 2015 || The Winds of Winter Is Coming *spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we shouldn't put spoilers in the OP? But I guess the people who don't know who those characters are, wouldn't know if they're spoilers?

There should be a warning somewhere because this isn't going to be safe for people just watching the show or going through the books for the first time.

Which of those mising characters hurts the most? For me it's Coldhands. I know Stoneheart will get a lot of votes but the idea of this bad ass dead knight/thing fighting the white walker dead is cool to me.

I dunno, I feel like Coldhands is kinda overrated. I mean, he's not really doing anything interesting.
Personally, out of those 4, for me it's Arianne. They just completely messed up Dorne in general.

Uh, I don't think so. If we start having discussions about something 3 chapters into GoT, we'll probably be spoiling stuff for show watchers.

How so? There's no spoilers in stuff that's been entirely cut from the show, just differences. I'm referring to events like the Red Wedding or the Battle at the Wall.

gdt

I ended up buying the kindle versions. So at least the format will be fresh fore. Going to bed now.....starting tomorrow after work!

How so? There's no spoilers in stuff that's been entirely cut from the show, just differences. I'm referring to events like the Red Wedding or the Battle at the Wall.

I mean, I guess...I'm just always so careful talking to my friends who watch the show because I'm not sure if they'll all of a sudden decide to add something back into the show.

Like, something minor even...like the Stark kids being wargs let's say.

bengraven

I'm in and hope some new readers decide to jump in also.

I'm about 1/4 through the first book so I think I'll join in on this. Its my first time through.

So is this not a safe place to read along if I'm going through for the first time?

I'm worried that this being a "reread" thread that it'll be open spoilers for everything, regardless of what chapter we're on that day

I really wanted to do a thread for new readers to start up as well. If I get enough support maybe I will. I think we could get a lot of people who would love to read the books after having watched the show for so many years.

I would say new readers are pretty safe here, but I wouldn't be 100% correct. There will be open spoilers, but the show is almost done with the book material. But that said, there's still some things hinted at for next year that will cover Dance and Feast material. If we openly talk about that stuff too early in the re-read we might spoil things for readers.

So I'm not sure. But I encourage new people to read anyway.

I'd join but I'm just finishing up my first read of "A Ball of Beasts," I gotta say I highly recommend it. Things just flow so much better besides some of the early repetition. Plus, I've probably read the whole series at least twice and probably re-read Dance like three times now all in the span of two years.

I'm going to be a Baller this time around. I think I'll stick with traditional format just so I'm not cluttering up the section on what we should be reading. No need to have three different chapter sections.

Which of those mising characters hurts the most? For me it's Coldhands. I know Stoneheart will get a lot of votes but the idea of this bad ass dead knight/thing fighting the white walker dead is cool to me.

I could NOT find a pretty enough picture of Strong Belwas. I TRIED. I'm not a fan of the Wiki's default artist and the other pics were either too cartoony or just not of very good quality. But he is my favorite missing character. Coldhands I would say is #1 but he's just not in the story very long. I still love the mystery behind him. I wonder if it will be explained or if Martin is going Tom Bombadil with him.

Other characters I tried to find good pics of: Moonboy, Patchface. I found a few good ones for Maege Mormont and Dacey, but I didn't think anyone would recognize them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I kind of want to participate, but as someone who is not watching S5, I would prefer that all show discussion gets banned. Now I think I read S5 spoilers in the opening paragraph of the OP so... yeah I'm out. :( Oh well.

I mean, I guess...I'm just always so careful talking to my friends who watch the show because I'm not sure if they'll all of a sudden decide to add something back into the show.

Like, something minor even...like the Stark kids being wargs let's say.

Even if it were so, I still believe that first readers, as long as they keep up with the pace, won't have a big issue with spoilers, especially if they've watched the show.
I was in the process of starting to read the books during season 3, and hadn't finished AFFC and ADWD until after the conclusion of season 4, and still strictly kept to the book-reader thread and didn't feel like I got spoiled a lot by learning of the changes or even more massive events or characters such as Stoneheart.

Althane

Hell yeah, I'm in. Got halfway through DwD, need a reason to get through it, and it wouldn't hurt to brush up with discussion.

I really wanted to do a thread for new readers to start up as well. If I get enough support maybe I will. I think we could get a lot of people who would love to read the books after having watched the show for so many years.

I would say new readers are pretty safe here, but I wouldn't be 100% correct. There will be open spoilers, but the show is almost done with the book material. But that said, there's still some things hinted at for next year that will cover Dance and Feast material. If we openly talk about that stuff too early in the re-read we might spoil things for readers.

So I'm not sure. But I encourage new people to read anyway.

I'll follow along, spoilers be damned. When do we start?

And I am caught up with the show, so I doubt there will be anything MAJOR

I'll follow along, spoilers be damned. When do we start?

And I am caught up with the show, so I doubt there will be anything MAJOR

You'll be fine then.

Frankly, I don't get the spoiler outrage anyway. The joy in reading a novel is not solely to follow the events that transpire, but also to get acquainted with the characters and their relationships and thoughts and emotions, as well as getting immersed in the world. And of course, enjoying the writing skill of the author in weaving this world and those characters to be interesting. The events that happen are, in a way, just there to provoke reactions from the characters anyway.

Even though I knew of various major events and various fates of characters in the books, it did nothing to reduce my enjoyment of them, quite the contrary, I was actually looking forward to see how they would unfold directly with GRRM's wording, and how the characters reacted to it.

bengraven

Aww... I started my re-read a couple weeks back. Almost done with GoT.

Hell yeah, stick around and talk!

We're all going to be bouncing around so much. I personally will probably read further ahead of everyone, but then might miss a week or so if I'm in the mood to read something else. Then I'll catch up.

But since this is my baby I'll try and be good!

Maybe we shouldn't put spoilers in the OP? But I guess the people who don't know who those characters are, wouldn't know if they're spoilers?

There should be a warning somewhere because this isn't going to be safe for people just watching the show or going through the books for the first time.

I did actually have a warning in there, but I accidently deleted my first thread.

It was also in the first title. I completely forgot the second time around. Will do it now.

I kind of want to participate, but as someone who is not watching S5, I would prefer that all show discussion gets banned. Now I think I read S5 spoilers in the opening paragraph of the OP so... yeah I'm out. :( Oh well.

? I didn't put any in there at all. I hinted at something that was already on CNN, ABC, Fox, BBC, i09, everyone's Facebook feed, etc?

I do not want TV talk at all except for comparing the show with what we're currently reading. If we're at Dany's wedding in the books and you're talking about Dany's handling of Mereen, you're not in line with the OP. But if you're talking about the show and the book and how they handled the first night with her and Drogo, then you are. You see? So any Season 5 stuff won't happen until...um...August? September? You should finish by then I'm sure...?

Then again, anything purely books is free for all. I would just suggest we don't dwell on something in the future too much. Three or four pages of some tinfoil theory about Aegon's blue hair being derived from the lost Lannister Valaryion blade is about enough when we're not even done with GOT for example.

Hell yeah, I'm in. Got halfway through DwD, need a reason to get through it, and it wouldn't hurt to brush up with discussion.

Everyone is welcome! I'm glad to see so many people ready to start! I was worried only like 4 or 5 would be into it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
? I didn't put any in there at all.
Ok. But then you say:

I hinted at something that was already on CNN, ABC, Fox, BBC, i09, everyone's Facebook feed, etc?
I am not on Facebook, and don't check out those sites, or entertainment "news" stories to begin with.

I do not want TV talk at all except for comparing the show with what we're currently reading. If we're at Dany's wedding in the books and you're talking about Dany's handling of Mereen, you're not in line with the OP. But if you're talking about the show and the book and how they handled the first night with her and Drogo, then you are. You see? So any Season 5 stuff won't happen until...um...August? September? You should finish by then I'm sure...?
Maybe. If TWOW is out and I've read it. I'll only watch until then, not before.

ryseing

I dunno, I feel like Coldhands is kinda overrated. I mean, he's not really doing anything interesting.
Personally, out of those 4, for me it's Arianne. They just completely messed up Dorne in general.

Fucking up Dorne hurt so bad. I miss Dorkstar :(.

Never done a combined Feast/Dragons read before. Looks like I'll be doing one this time around.

This isn't the time for a re-read, a month or two before the next book hits is the time for a re-read. This thread may literally be years premature.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This isn't the time for a re-read, a month or two before the next book hits is the time for a re-read. This thread may literally be years premature.
The whole point is to have discussions as you read which is why this re-read will take roughly 10 months to complete. A chapter (or 2) a day is a nice leisurely pace.

Well for starters, since GRRM hopes to complete AWOW before Season 6, it's at worst a year premature. Secondly, as Fuzzy mentions, it's a leisurely pace. Some people don't have the energy to read all 5 books within a month or two, either. It took me well over a year to complete all 5 of them, myself, because I had to take breaks in between (both for lack of time and lack or having other things to read).

bengraven

Winds wasn't even my impetus for doing this. I wanted something for us to all do between the seasons and with the rumors that he may finish I thought "why not"? Just in case he does in fact release it before the show starts next year, then we'll have a re-read in. Otherwise? Nothing was lost - we just re-read the books.

I'm in but first I need a solid release date so I can time it decently.

The 21st.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I remember RUNNING to grab the 4th book as soon as I was done with the 3rd. I was salivating, panting and I couldn't handle the excitement. And then, well, the 4th book started, and I was left bewildered like anything. Took me months to get through it, and I just didn't like it much at all. Picked up the 5th book with a lot of enthusiasm as I knew many of the characters I was missing were in it, and it confused the shit out of me yet again, but much less so than the 4th book.

The 4th and 5th books are PADDED to death, and I'm glad the show is trimming all the unnecessary fat. Should have been 200-250 pages less, those two books. If I am to read the books again, I'll do so till the third and stop. Will let the show dictate what happens from there on. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING comes close to those first three books.

bengraven

For the record, in my original OP I had this. I accidentally deleted that OP. Now I won't use it because I'm trying to make it all about the books.

556bb8514ae56e586e4574af_spoiler-got-nights-king.gif

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just don't talk about the other books' contents til you get to them. lol

I don't know if that's entirely going to work. While I don't know if I'll be participating this is a re-read thread and is supposed to be about discussion. And, because GRRM has carefully planned everything out and built up to them re-reads jogs the memory and make you realize connections to the other books and possible future revelations. So for example (I really shouldn't even be using spoiler tags for this thread but I will for this one example),
Jon's dream in ACOK about seeing Bran's face within a Weirwood and him talking to Jon about helping him open his third eye clearly foreshadows the events in ADWD when Bran meets Bloodraven. But, it also opens future speculation about the extent of Bran's weirwood.net abilities, like can he communicate in at least some way with people in the past?

Hence why I don't think that the thread would be entirely safe for first time readers.

bengraven

I know, it took me a bit. I was like "okay this is going on for a while. I get it, you're having a staring contest. Do something. Then I was like "oh...oh I see what he's doing and why it's important...".

I remember RUNNING to grab the 4th book as soon as I was done with the 3rd. I was salivating, panting and I couldn't handle the excitement. And then, well, the 4th book started, and I was left bewildered like anything. Took me months to get through it, and I just didn't like it much at all. Picked up the 5th book with a lot of enthusiasm as I knew many of the characters I was missing were in it, and it confused the shit out of me yet again, but much less so than the 4th book.

The 4th and 5th books are PADDED to death, and I'm glad the show is trimming all the unnecessary fat. Should have been 200-250 pages less, those two books. If I am to read the books again, I'll do so till the third and stop. Will let the show dictate what happens from there on. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING comes close to those first three books.

I wasn't going to read them. It was around the time that I think Stinkles(?) made the "ice and fire is gud" thread. You can actually read my negative reactions to the things people are talking about. It sounded like it was going to be another boring JRRT ripoff with super magical kids, barely better than Goodkind or Jordan, and people were actually talking me out of it. I even said at one point "okay thanks for talking me out of this - dodged a bullet". lol

A couple weeks later BAM had a "three for two" sale. I found the first, third, and four books. I said "fuck it" and decided to relent if only to see what the fuss was about.

I got hooked.

So the reason I'm responding to your reply was because I was in the same situation. I had the first, but not second book. I was going on vacation in a few days and was nearly done with Game and could NOT find Clash in any book stores. I didn't want to be 2000 miles away and fiending for book 2. So I checked it out from the library and had to lug this massive original hardcover with me and the next two books on a plane. To this day I only actually have one paper copy of Clash, which came in that HBO box set I posted in the OP. My Game, Swords, and Feast are bent, folded, have stains on them, but I never did buy Clash in paper form with my own money (the boxed set was a birthday gift and I do own the Kindle versions of all but I think Feast).

bengraven

I don't know if that's entirely going to work. While I don't know if I'll be participating this is a re-read thread and is supposed to be about discussion. And, because GRRM has carefully planned everything out and built up to them re-reads jogs the memory and make you realize connections to the other books and possible future revelations. So for example (I really shouldn't even be using spoiler tags for this thread but I will for this one example),
Jon's dream in ACOK about seeing Bran's face within a Weirwood and him talking to Jon about helping him open his third eye clearly foreshadows the events in ADWD when Bran meets Bloodraven. But, it also opens future speculation about the extent of Bran's weirwood.net abilities, like can he communicate in at least some way with people in the past?

Hence why I don't think that the thread would be entirely safe for first time readers.

Guys I'm about 90% sure I'm going to make a first time readers thread. Let me hit up the GAF book and TV threads.

bengraven

Arianne. I thought it was her, but forgot her name.

And Arys! I was very careful to capture him.

I think I should have made the banners thicker to get more details in. And wider. This was my first time making graphics, period, in years. Seriously. I couldn't even find font shadows. lol

bengraven

You should just use the r/asoif banner:

Purposely skipped that, though it was tempting. Corn sent me some great big pics as well but I couldn't figure a way to get fonts on there without clashing with the backgrounds. I went with simple pics instead - I like a cleaner look. I may go more pretty for the NO SPOILERS thread if I get enough people interested.

I will lengthen the icons, though. Like I said in the OP, this is 1.0. People wanted some warning before starting to I threw this together in an afternoon - an afternoon with a hyperactive ADHD kid a few feet from me the whole time, talking and gabbing and either begging to play Minecraft or just asking me over and over again what the five fingers said to the face.

Dysun

I will try to keep up as well, haven't read the books in a good while and I've been wanting to try the Boiled Leather FFC/DWD chapter order

Dr Prob

Banned
Read this series like three times over, plus all the related material. Bad timing; I'd really like to go through again and discuss the stuffs. But for anyone on the fence: it's easy reading and not AS dorky as the book readers vs show watchers debate would lead you to believe. Go nuts!

this is interesting, I've read like midway through book 1 but never got through with it, and didn't watch the tv series past episode 2 either. I think I'll give this a shot. already got the collection in my Kindle.

if it's possible, can you post some illustration for some of the key character so people like me who never read the book or watch the series can visualize the character easier?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
GRRM hopes to complete AWOW before Season 6
You know nothing, Red Arremer.

But I remember when I was still fooled by empty hopes and projections about completion dates. The foolishness was bled out of me while waiting for feast and dance.

You will learn.

RedShift

I might join in. I was planning until waiting. A couple of weeks before TWOW comes out to cannonball through them.

But I can do both.

I vote boiled leather for AFFC/ADWD btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom