• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Re-Read of Ice and Fire || 2015 || The Winds of Winter Is Coming *spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Well it is coming...eventually.

Sorry bengraven, I won't be joining you, I have a book backlog clear out.

That's fine.

1367824944_tumblr_m64uimfhpe1qkurq6o1_500.gif

*sniff*

Tubie

I'm in.

Btw you should post a link to this thread in the books OT. I just found this thread by chance today, had no idea it was posted already.

RDreamer

I might do this, though I'm a first timer. I've been trying to get through the first book a bunch of times, but it's been rough. The first season follows it so closely and I've seen that season probably no less than 6 times through. I don't want to skip GOT, though.

I also want to finish up the Southern Reach trilogy I'm reading right now before jumping into this.

bengraven

I might do this, though I'm a first timer. I've been trying to get through the first book a bunch of times, but it's been rough. The first season follows it so closely and I've seen that season probably no less than 6 times through. I don't want to skip GOT, though.

I also want to finish up the Southern Reach trilogy I'm reading right now before jumping into this.

I think you'd be a perfect candidate for at least reading GOT. We may spoil further books, however, in fact it's pretty much guaranteed. But the experience of reading the book after having seen the show so much is so damn good you have to liveblog it for us.

...I JUST finished a re-read

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Participate in discussion!

RDreamer

I think you'd be a perfect candidate for at least reading GOT. We may spoil further books, however, in fact it's pretty much guaranteed. But the experience of reading the book after having seen the show so much is so damn good you have to liveblog it for us.!

I'll try. I want to finish the books before the next season. Gotta get through the Southern Reach books first, since I started them and I'm not sure they'd make any damned sense if I stopped and waited and forgot everything, lol.

I don't really mind spoilers. I've never minded them in anything. In fact, usually they make me even more curious to see how a story gets to that point. It's more about the journey and how everything connects than the 'payoff' at the end.

As for liveblogging: I did read a little of GOT (Ok, I heard it via audio book on a recent trip). As I said, so far it's extremely similar to the show. There is one thing that I liked in the show, though, a bit more than in the books. At least so far. I got to the part where Robert and Ned go into the catacombs and they see this statue of Lyanna, which seems in the books to be very detailed. One of my favorite scenes in the entire GOT show is the one with Robert and Cersei and Robert says he can't even remember what Lyanna looks like anymore. I'm obviously not sure if any scene remotely like that happens in the books, but I think knowing a very lifelike statue exists would kind of hinder the impact there.

Lothar

Banned
Should I watch the shows first or books first? I'm a virgin.

Books. You'll be able to understand everything a lot better as you're given time with each character. You're not just thrown them all basically at once in one episode. You'll know the depth of the world that the show doesn't go into as much so it'll be more immersive even when you watch the show. Once you start watching the show, you won't be able to read it without imagining the actors. It's also real cool to see the story in your mind visualized on screen.

Advantage to show first: If you read the books first, you'll be very nitpicky and constantly wonder why changes were made.

Advantage to show first: If you read the books first, you'll be very nitpicky and constantly wonder why changes were made.

That's the case with almost every book adaptation though. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages but personally I preferred reading the books before watching the show.

I've been re-reading the series (this will be my 3rd time through). I'm halfway through book 3 amd am glad to have a place to discuss the series again.

As the show has continued to diverge more and more from the books I've been meaning to do this for a while. Been a few years and need a refresher frankly, this came out at the perfect time OP.

Firebrand

Read through all books between seasons 2 and 3 of thte show. I should read them again... reading discussions lately I feel like I somehow missed half the books or something. "That lord from that place is CLEARLY the legendary Bob Knightman"... who, who, what?

Read through all books between seasons 2 and 3 of thte show. I should read them again... reading discussions lately I feel like I somehow missed half the books or something. "That lord from that place is CLEARLY the legendary Bob Knightman"... who, who, what?

I approve of your nick name.

It all becomes clear when you realize the Knightman line died off after being tricked by the McBads...with the exception of their youngest son, Robert Knightman, heir to the Copper Crown and Warden of the Middle Bit. The Knightman family's traditional seat was Castleton, only a quick tram ride away from That Place, where some Lord that no one has heard of, who only showed up after the Knightman line died, is parading around, ruining the McBad territories. He fits Robert Knightman's description perfectly, with the characteristic Knightman green hair, three eyes, and he had a tattoo of Charmander on his butt. You may remember that is the Knightman family sigil.

It's clear as day, dude.

It all becomes clear when you realize the Knightman line died off after being tricked by the McBads...with the exception of their youngest son, Robert Knightman, heir to the Copper Crown and Warden of the Middle Bit. The Knightman family's traditional seat was Castleton, only a quick tram ride away from That Place, where some Lord that no one has heard of, who only showed up after the Knightman line died, is parading around, ruining the McBad territories. He fits Robert Knightman's description perfectly, with the characteristic Knightman green hair, three eyes, and he had a tattoo of Charmander on his butt. You may remember that is the Knightman family sigil.

It's clear as day, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KocHhWTwMw

I think it's a great idea to have a re-read thread for ASoIaF. It's about time for me to read the books again.

But I'm afraid that this thread will be full of people who are bitching about the show and the changes they made. Please don't. There are other places for that.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Well I've been listening to the first book's audiobook at work. I'm a few chapters in already but I guess I can still sort of participate in this. Honestly, for me, having watched the TV show really helped me understand the book story. I can picture people's faces and locales a little more clearly because of the TV show. Otherwise, it'd be difficult to remember all the names and whatnot of everything in the story. I thought the show and book has been relatively similar so far in this first book :)

Well I've been listening to the first book's audiobook at work. I'm a few chapters in already but I guess I can still sort of participate in this. Honestly, for me, having watched the TV show really helped me understand the book story. I can picture people's faces and locales a little more clearly because of the TV show. Otherwise, it'd be difficult to remember all the names and whatnot of everything in the story. I thought the show and book has been relatively similar so far in this first book :)

Before the tv show, Amoka's character portraits, many of them sanctioned and corrected by GRRM himself, were the best way to keep track of what everybody looks like.

h_e66c1d73df7b1fee6aec0ae73e521803
h_33bb39c55a9b69818ad6bf329d5bbaa7
h_52d55b9bb67ef41bcf09de5bf6d8cd41

hamchan

I think I'll be up for this. The last time I read through the whole series was back when A Dance With Dragons came out. So that's 4 years, holy crap time goes by too fast.

Chris R

I already started my reread for the year but only made it to kings landing before I had a vacation break. I'll join for sure!

gate777

I already started my re-read and am halfway through AGOT. Needless to say, I'm in. This will be my 3rd time for the books.

I haven't read the first three books since the early 2000s, back in the days when this was a thing only hardcore nerds like me were into, and I still haven't read the two most recent books because the reviews scared me off. So, I'm in.

Kathian

Banned
Which of those mising characters hurts the most? For me it's Coldhands. I know Stoneheart will get a lot of votes but the idea of this bad ass dead knight/thing fighting the white walker dead is cool to me.

Surely we could still get Cold Hands.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
also thought about a reread after the news of twow broke.
this is going to be a chapter a day roughly? starting next sunday? Time to get book one back which i borrowed a friend.

hunchback

I have never read the books and only seen season one of the show.
I'll download the first book and join up if that's ok?

bengraven

also thought about a reread after the news of twow broke.
this is going to be a chapter a day roughly? starting next sunday? Time to get book one back which i borrowed a friend.

Not next Sunday. The Sunday after. Let's give a week to talk out the last episode of the season then start fresh that Monday. It gives us something to do on that Sunday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom