• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Patch 1.08 will be releasing today. (Discussion/Impression Thread?)

J4g3r

EDIT: Patch is now out.

Source:

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/629619112193454080

1104dbcf9e379574ce75f45f1cbd72d9.png

Patch Release notes:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/54899-Patch-1-08-Notes

PERFORMANCE:
Overall improvements to performance, including some issues that may have been caused by 1.07.

UI:
[Japanese Only][PS4 Only] Fixes an issue where the background text of certain books would flicker.
Fixes an issue where part of the Kaer Morhen map would not display properly.

GAMEPLAY:
Fixes a rare issue where items would disappear from the stash.
Fixes a very rare issue which would cause Geralt to get stuck when trying to run.
The interaction pop-up will no longer appear on lootable objects that are empty.
Fixes an occasional glitch in one of the dwarf combat animations.
Heads chopped off during finishers will no longer disappear.
"Players can perform a roll just before landing to significantly reduce the damage caused by falling.
We've added a tutorial pop-up window explaining this to make it clearer."
In patch 1.07, the level requirements for certain items were scaled up, leaving some players stuck with only unusable gear. With patch 1.08, we are introducing the Wolven Hour potion. This potion will be available in everyone's inventory once they install the patch. It will reduce level requirements on all gear for a period of one hour. This will give players time to level up or find alternative equipment using the gear that was available to them in patch 1.05 but became unusable after patch 1.07. After one hour, the potion's effects will cease and the requirements for all gear will revert to their original, pre-potion values.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to compare their items with ones sold by merchants.

ACHIEVEMENTS:
Players will now be able to complete the Card Collector achievement.
Achievements are now working properly again and will be unlocked if players meet their requirements after installing this patch (PC version).

GRAPHICS:
Fixes an issue where interiors would sometimes not display properly on the minimap.
Fixes an issue where certain world elements would sometimes be missing and noticeable visual glitches would be present while in Novigrad.

QUEST:
Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "It Takes Three to Tango" quest, even though they had obtained wine at the Kingfisher.
Fixes an issue where Geralt would sometimes die after traveling to Velen in the quest "Something Ends, Something Begins."
The entrance to the area where the Sunstone is obtained will no longer be blocked off if the player exits it prematurely during "The Sunstone" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to complete the "Get Junior" quest on certain occasions.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear" quest due to a closed gate.
Fixes an issue where some players were unable to investigate rooms during the "Family Matters" quest, effectively blocking their progression.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Hey, You Wanna Look at my Stuff?" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "An Eye for an Eye" quest.
Fixes an issue where Roche would stay at his camp instead of going to the Oxenfurt Bridge in the "Get Junior" quest.
Fixes an issue where, under certain circumstances, Yennefer would not appear in Oxenfurt during the "The Great Escape" quest.
Drowners will have a harder time killing Nidas during the "Black Pearl" quest.
Fixes an issue which led to an infinite loading screen during the "To Bait a Forktail..." quest under certain circumstances.
Fixes a rare issue where the basement was locked during the "King's Gambit" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to free the merchant during the Person in Distress event in the Claywich area.
The trolls at the Circle of Elements will no longer attack Geralt if he opts for a peaceful resolution.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "Brothers in Arms" quest.
Fixes an issue where Zoltan's card was unobtainable.

GENERAL:
Preparatory features paving the way for the introduction of New Game + in the future.

Hopefully we get NG+ early next week.

Rogan

Banned
Another update, I am happy they keep updating it. Need that Card Collector achievement.

But now put out NG+ please!

grimmiq

So do any of these patches retroactively give you the trophy for the
Leshen
contract if you fucked up and chose the
ritual
?

Annoying having the trophy for all contracts completed, but not for that contract.

Here's hoping this is the patch to address the majority of performance issues on ps4. I love the game, and haven't had much time to play so I welcome all of these patches as I haven't even gotten to the bulk of the game yet.

Locked FPS? I have never read about this. Is this the same thing where the PS4 version drops to a 20fps maximum at times?

the XB1 framerate was generally very stable at or around 30fps until the last patch borked it- I hope for unborking

PS4 version I hope gets better too (I own both)

J4g3r

Here's hoping this is the patch to address the majority of performance issues on ps4. I love the game, and haven't had much time to play so I welcome all of these patches as I haven't even gotten to the bulk of the game yet.

It was mentioned when 1.07 released that the next patch is what we can expect will be the one that is performance focused, here's hoping too.

DryvBy

What ended up happening with the PS4 performance issue due to the last patch?

The only issues I have is fading in/out objects and RAGE level texture loading. But the performance in every area has been very good imo. Not so much originally.

Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Hey, You Wanna Look at my Stuff?" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "An Eye for an Eye" quest.
Fixes an issue where Roche would stay at his camp instead of going to the Oxenfurt Bridge in the "Get Junior" quest.
Fixes an issue where, under certain circumstances, Yennefer would not appear in Oxenfurt during the "The Great Escape" quest.
Drowners will have a harder time killing Nidas during the "Black Pearl" quest.
....I should have waited to play this game now. All of these quests are/were borked on my playthrough. I had to use a trick someone discovered to complete black pearl. Ah well.

CookBeck

I hope this patch brings performance back to at least 1.05 on PS4. Game runs notoriously worse since 1.07. Would also be nice if they fix the choppy scrolling map screen.

KORNdoggy

any fix for the blurred screen stutter issue?

or fixing the skelliges most wanted quest were the warewolf just gets stuck in some dumb animation loop and you can't finish the quest?

Fbh

Locked FPS? I have never read about this. Is this the same thing where the PS4 version drops to a 20fps maximum at times?

Yep.
Instead of unlocking the FPS on Ps4 like they did on X1 they decided to like the FPS on X1 (to be fair it's only in certain areas, but it is annoying).

Let's hope they do it the other way around with this patch

Fingers crossed they return the X1 version to the state it was in before 1.07 ruined it for no discernible reason whatsoever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope they fix the microstutter on PC...again.

And the texture pop-in. Yikes.

I'm pretty convinced that for Wild Hunt, the first iteration of REDengine 3, they'll never be truly fixed. I can imagine while some of the tech team remain optimising Wild Hunt, many have moved over to larger improvements that'll be present in Cyberpunk.

Am I the only one that randomly sees the cutscenes blur midscene, then unblur? It was real bad during the play in Novigrad.

The whole cutscene would blur then unblur severals times but keep playing as normal.

Forsythia

I hope they fix the reduced performance on Xbox One. It ran great before 1.07, but with that patch it took a big dive in certain areas.

CHC

Am I the only one that randomly sees the cutscenes blur midscene, then unblur? It was real bad during the play in Novigrad.

The whole cutscene would blur then unblur severals times but keep playing as normal.

That happens to me, but not in cutscenes. I think it's basically the engine's version of Youtube's buffering wheel - it just briefly DOF blurs the whole scene so that it can catch up on processing. Happens to me most often when I bust into Novigrad full speed on horseback and then sprint down the streets.

My biggest (only?) real issue left to fix is the hair / beard pop in during cutscenes. It's ridiculous.

Had my first failed quest after 1.07 even though I did every step, are there chances for this to be fixed with this patch?

That happens to me, but not in cutscenes. I think it's basically the engine's version of Youtube's buffering wheel - it just briefly DOF blurs the whole scene so that it can catch up on processing. Happens to me most often when I bust into Novigrad full speed on horseback and then sprint down the streets.

My biggest (only?) real issue left to fix is the hair / beard pop in during cutscenes. It's ridiculous.

Its on my PS4, but yes I agree about the hair, it will pop in and out depending where the camera is.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Won't that cause screen tearing or am I unaware of what they have running to counter that?

If they just disable v-sync, sure. But they should be able to use triple-buffered v-sync like other modern games, which would prevent the framerate getting locked at 20. Or adaptive v-sync, although since this game rarely sticks to a solid 30 that would probably mean a lot of tearing.

And yeah, Arkham Knight is a more impressive feat on consoles than this game. So well optimized. It runs almost without a hitch while looking absolutely great. This doesn't. Yeah, it's doing a lot of vegetation and stuff that Batman isn't, but that's not what kills the framerate on the consoles. The main culprit is alpha effects. Get a bunch of those on screen at the same time (some fog or rain + fire, for example), and the performance just tanks. Feels like something they should be able to optimize, but evidently they're not capable of it. Not enough console development experience, I suppose.

I'm pretty convinced that for Wild Hunt, the first iteration of REDengine 3, they'll never be truly fixed. I can imagine while some of the tech team remain optimising Wild Hunt, many have moved over to larger improvements that'll be present in Cyberpunk.

I hope they fix the microstutter on PC...again.

And the texture pop-in. Yikes.

On my rig, the only stutter I really ever see is from the camera movement. The damn camera animation does not cycle well....

Outside of the weird camera stutter in specific situations, I was sutter free until 1.07. 1.07 has definitely introduced a periodic stutter for me and I'm hoping this patch takes care of that.

Qassim

On my rig, the only stutter I really ever see is from the camera movement. The damn camera animation does not cycle well....

Yeah, same, I have a frametime graph open on my other monitor at all times and always get nice low and consistent frametimes, no stuttering here.

Fix The frame rate or i wont buy any DLC!

Batman is way more impressive and runs smoothly.

Heh.

I've had a much smoother experience with Arkham Knight than I have with Witcher 3, and I'm talking about the PC versions. In fact, I was surprised to have had zero issues with the PC version of Batman, wheras my constant updating and rolling back of video card drivers to avoid constant crashes in Witcher 3 has culminated in a game breaking bug which CD Project claimed to have fixed in the 1.06 patch, then again in the 1.07 patch, and now it's in the changlog for 1.08. I hope the third time's a charm.

Durante

Witcher 3 has been one of the smoothest (both in terms of encountered bugs and in terms of performance/scale) open world games since launch for me on PC.

The main culprit is alpha effects. Get a bunch of those on screen at the same time (some fog or rain + fire, for example), and the performance just tanks. Feels like something they should be able to optimize, but evidently they're not capable of it. Not enough console development experience, I suppose.
The way the vast majority of developers "optimize" alpha effects on consoles is render them at 1/4 resolution (at best). That's not particularly challenging really - or indicative of insane technical prowess.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
1.07 didn't fix Dirty Funds for me and I can't stand having an "incomplete" quest taunting me, so unless CDPR patches in the ability for PC users to mark quests as solved using the console, I think I'll just start a new game at the end of the year, after I'm done with Just Cause 3.

Perun

Witcher 3 has been one of the smoothest (both in terms of encountered bugs and in terms of performance/scale) open world games since launch for me on PC.

Yep. I've played many open world cRPGs on launch (even the f'ing Gothic 3), but Witcher 3 has been an incredibely smooth experience for me on day 1. I don't think I've noticed any significant framerate improvement since they began to patch it though.

Kezen

Banned
The game didn't crash once on my system, but there are bugs here and here.
Understandable considering the scale of the game.

Top Bottom