• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Patch 1.08 will be releasing today. (Discussion/Impression Thread?)

eFKac

Ehh NG+ is what I'm interested in before I start my second playthrough and this is all too late since I'm going away for a week on Sunday :-/
At least I'm sure it will be ready when I'm back.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The game didn't crash once on my system, but there are bugs here and here.
Understandable considering the scale of the game.
Same here, gotten so lucky. No failed quest glitches so far.

Perun

Downloading now on GOG. 7Gb O.O

Whoa, what
dbVINVX.png

Weird, GOG is downloading 7.5GB but on the page were you can manually patch to 1.08 the download shows 2GB.

EDIT: Okay the 7.5GB patch failed and now it's downloading 2.2GB, maybe they published the wrong version?

Ovek

7Member7
Damn it I was literally going to start playing this for the first time and now I face a 7.5gb download!!! Boo!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The way the vast majority of developers "optimize" alpha effects on consoles is render them at 1/4 resolution (at best). That's not particularly challenging really - or indicative of insane technical prowess.

I don't remember seeing any particularly terrible-looking alpha effects in AK. Maybe it doesn't have as many overall (although it is constantly raining).

Either way, if that's really all that can be done then CDPR should do it. This game is pretty close to running at a solid 30 until you get some rain and a fire or two on screen (or just some fog in the bogs), and then the framerate drops to 20 and stays there. It just doesn't feel good at all to play in those situations.

But also, I sort of doubt CDPR has done much optimization using the PS4's lower-level graphics API (its name escapes me at the moment). They're probably mostly using the higher-level DirectX-like one, which of course makes cross-platform development much easier but doesn't give you the performance you could be getting.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Apparently PS4 is 7.5GB too.

EDIT: Now someone on reddit says theirs is 2.8GB so who the hell knows really.

PS4 patches are incremental/cumulative (not sure what the correct word is), no? Meaning that 7.5GB is the combined size of all patches for the game, but it'll only download what you actually need (which would seem to be 2.8GB for this patch). I'm pretty sure that's the case. It's pretty dumb that it doesn't show how much you really need to download, but that's not the only dumb thing about the PS4 UI.

I'm pretty convinced that for Wild Hunt, the first iteration of REDengine 3, they'll never be truly fixed. I can imagine while some of the tech team remain optimising Wild Hunt, many have moved over to larger improvements that'll be present in Cyberpunk.
I imagine performance will be generally better on Cyberpunk from the get go, as they environments won't be large open landscapes, but streets and back alleys.
They'll also be no foliage due to the setting, which means you won't get the performance drops of rendering thousands of shadows from grass and leaves.

PS4 patches are incremental/cumulative (not sure what the correct word is), no? Meaning that 7.5GB is the combined size of all patches for the game, but it'll only download what you actually need (which would seem to be 2.8GB for this patch). I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I don't know, I don't have a PS4, just saw that on reddit and thought the PS4 folks would want to know.

PS4 patches are incremental/cumulative (not sure what the correct word is), no? Meaning that 7.5GB is the combined size of all patches for the game, but it'll only download what you actually need (which would seem to be 2.8GB for this patch). I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I thought the same thing man but the update size is still 7.5GB on PS4 and it's downloading the whole 7.5GB.

Jocund

I literally just started downloading the patch on PS4 and the progress bar is telling me it's downloading 4 gigs out of a total of 7, not the entire 7. It's accumulative.

Durante

I don't remember seeing any particularly terrible-looking alpha effects in AK. Maybe it doesn't have as many overall (although it is constantly raining).
1/4 resolution alpha effects aren't usually terribly looking or obvious in motion. That's why they are used so often.

But also, I sort of doubt CDPR has done much optimization using the PS4's lower-level graphics API (its name escapes me at the moment).
If it's as you say and the limiting aspect is alpha blending, then I very much doubt it has anything to do with whatever API they are using. There are few things as purely GPU-bound as alpha blending. (Which is, again, why reducing the resolution is a popular choice)

I actually said that they should probably reduce alpha res on consoles when the very first performance comparison was released. It would also be an interesting option to have available on PC, since you could e.g. downsample from a higher res with lower res alpha effects (which don't really need that much definition usually).

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, I wanted to start this tonight anyway :)

tauke

Still haven't show up on my side. Hopefully this will unlock several achievements on GOG Galaxy and I still haven't done with finding Ciri at Novigrad after clocking in 95 hours..

Buzza

Waiting for NG+ to start my second play through. Not sure how they will alter the difficulty level as it was way too easy.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Interested what the performance is like for PS4. I already got it on PC but want to get it on PS4 too but not if there are frame rate issues.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
1/4 resolution alpha effects aren't usually terribly looking or obvious in motion. That's why they are used so often.

If it's as you say and the limiting aspect is alpha blending, then I very much doubt it has anything to do with whatever API they are using. There are few things as purely GPU-bound as alpha blending. (Which is, again, why reducing the resolution is a popular choice)

I actually said that they should probably reduce alpha res on consoles when the very first performance comparison was released. It would also be an interesting option to have available on PC, since you could e.g. downsample from a higher res with lower res alpha effects (which don't really need that much definition usually).

Ok, yeah, then they should definitely do that. It's very obvious that's the main performance killer in this game.

And they should get rid of the double-buffered v-sync. Or rather, make it triple-buffered. I really don't get why it isn't already. I haven't seen a console game with these 20fps locks in years.

Wait. I paused-resumed and the download size changed and now it's on 4.8/7.6GB. I'm guessing the patch doesn't check for previous updates till you've paused it once. Really weird.

My update immediately started at 4.8GB though, no pausing needed.

Ok, that's as expected then.

Top Bottom