• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2D action games on Steam?

FoxSpirit

Well, title is straight forward.

I played this little gem for some time, time for a change.

Savant Ascent

692sl8.png

Ferocious little Twinstick action game, great fun and I still haven't gotten through the Void update.

Can be almost everything, Run N Gun, Platform heavy melee, Twin-Stick, whatever. But no SHMUPs please, I have most of them already. Bit tired of the formula at the moment. The more recent the better, stuff like Metal Slug I already have played a ton. Controller only a big plus.

collige

Banned
Beat Hazard
Guacamelee
Hotline Miami 1/2
Nidhogg (though it has much more of a multiplayer focus)
Towerfall (same as above to a lesser extent)
Dark Void Zero (it's basically just an NES game)

duckroll

If you want something like a 2D sidescrolling game which is Metal Gear Solid crossed with Ninja Gaiden, check out Mark of the Ninja. Fantastic game, just don't expect the combat mechanics to be very hardcore. It's more about variety in approach and stealth.

For a pretty solid sidescrolling action RPG with tons of platforming, Castle in the Darkness will definitely scratch that itch.

If you enjoy oldschool action greatness like Megaman and Duck Tales, grab Shovel Knight and never look back.

They Bleed Pixels is a fun controller based action game that can be pretty brutal.

If you are open to mouse and keyboard, Noitu Love Evolution 2 is one of the best 2D action games that I have played on Steam.

Fasty

header.jpg

Rocketbirds. Really fun and satisfying platforming and gunplay (and jetpaction). Definitely worth checking out, also has two player co-op

Mephala

I will always vouch for Fortune Summoners.
UmXipAc.png

gT0B1Ev.jpg

Yes, you play as a little girl with a sword. No you are not secretly 10,000 years old and flashing panties everywhere. The game is tame for JRPG standards on that regard. It reminds me of Zelda a little bit because you are actually quite young and some of the childish things are somewhat funny. For instance, the main character struggles with addition.

Labadal

I like Gunpoint, but I would say it's more of a puzzle game than an action game no? There isn't really much reactive action in the game, and the shooting isn't particularly satisfying (but completing a stage sure is!).

I guess you're right. I just saw RONIN mentioned and thought that if that goes, I might as well mention Gunpoint. I do agree that it's more puzzly than the usual action game.

How could I forget Apotheon? I love the game. Not exactly metroidvaina, more like metroidvaina light, but probably my personal GOTY.

Aces Wild is a real hidden gem of a brawler that kind of takes what Bayonetta did with free movement and a great dodge-into-attack mechanic and puts it back in a side view 2D space. High skill ceiling, very difficult if you want it to be, and has a couple extra characters for variety.

tumblr_inline_n7uki8jzYT1szvpkb.gif

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Some of my favorites:

Hotline Miami
Hotline Miami 2
Binding of Isaac (rebirth)
Metal Slug 3
Cave Story
Crimsonland
Crimson Clover World Ignition
Ikaruga
Mark of the Ninja
Volgarr the Viking

Alien Soldier is an excellent, excellent game, but as far as I know it's the 50hz version (and is pretty much unplayable). If it is indeed the 50hz version then the Steam version is worthless; otherwise it's a must-buy.

Bleed is fantastic. Definitely check it out too.

There's also Volgarr the Viking if you want something a little more deliberate than the above games.

Freedom Planet is a great Genesis-style game. Easily one of the best indie games out there.

Also stuff like Shovel Knight, Guacamelee (pick up the original, not the "definitive" edition though).

Aces Wild is a real hidden gem of a brawler that kind of takes what Bayonetta did with free movement and a great dodge-into-attack mechanic and puts it back in a side view 2D space. High skill ceiling, very difficult if you want it to be, and has a couple extra characters for variety.

tumblr_inline_n7uki8jzYT1szvpkb.gif

Got to try out this one, looks fun as hell.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Another vote for Volgarr, will make you feel like a badass.

Mark of the Ninja, Guacamelee, Metal Slug, Ys (Origins is the most focused, and overall the best by far), Cave Story, Shantae, Gunpoint, Hotline, and there are hundreds of other great game.

duckroll

Oh yeah, Volgarr is the best pure arcade action game I've played on Steam. The level design is great, the mechanics are simply but tight, and there's a ton of rewarding challenge both beating the game normally and attempting to get the best ending via the harder alternative levels. :)

KarmaCow

Rainblood Chronicles: Mirage is pretty good. It's like a 2D DMC, complete with two playable characters, one of which uses light/magic swords in their attacks. Unforunately it has some minor issues and I think the developer has been having issues with the publisher so you'll need to find and apply the latest patch manually from the Steam forum.

Viliger

Define action. Best combat system? Fortune Summoners and Valdis Story: Abyssal City. Best shooters? Bleed and Bionic Commando Rearmed. Best metrioidvanias? Cave Story+, Guacamelee and Dust.

charsace

They Bleed Pixels. One of the most underrated games in years. Great platforming and simple, but fun, battle system.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is another awesome game. Metroidvania with a deep battle system.

Chasm. Rogue-like platformer and really good. Only a demo has been released so far though.

LewieP

I'm on the fence with Streets of Fury EX. Has anyone here bought it?
I played the XBLIG and the new Steam version. It's very silly, but it knows it's silly and just tries to have fun with it. It's like a crappy trashy b movie version of Streets of Rage, and I have a great deal of fondness for it.

Top Bottom