• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2D action games on Steam?

Haven't seen Axiom Verge mentioned so I'll go with that. If you like 2D Metroid

Recently started playing it and haven't gotten too deep but so far it's great

Soltype

I understand what you're saying and agree to a certain extent. The attacking can also be really unsatisfying (think Terraria) in its speed and airiness. It feels like attacking with a pencil or something - there is no weight. As if the creators were working based off of a picture of a 2D game from the past without really understanding what made it enjoyable in the first place.

However, they are most certainly not all like that and there are plenty of games in this thread alone that control tightly and satisfyingly.

Just something I've noticed with a lot of these games, which ones have good movement?

That's weird then, a lot seem to have that flash game like movement.

nded

Just something I've noticed with a lot of these games, which ones have good movement?

It depends on your definition of "good movement". If you're talking precise, deliberate platforming with a sense of weight like in Castlevania, then Volgarr the Viking is one to check out.

EricB

Volgarr definitely feels better than most. I remember Odallus having some weight too, but I'd better double check that one. I'll run through a few of the others I have in order to give you more recommendations.

I share your opinion. A lot of them definitely feel... cheap. Perhaps some other players commenting here don't have a thorough basis for comparison.

I share your opinion. A lot of them definitely feel... cheap. Perhaps some other players commenting here don't have a thorough basis for comparison.
What exactly is "flash game movement"? How do they feel cheap?

I played flash games for like a decade before getting into Steam. Really don't see the similarity

Soltype

It depends on your definition of "good movement". If you're talking precise, deliberate platforming with a sense of weight like in Castlevania, then Volgarr the Viking is one to check out.

Volgarr definitely feels better than most. I remember Odallus having some weight too, but I'd better double check that one. I'll run through a few of the others I have in order to give you more recommendations.

Cool, I'll check out Volgarr then.

That's the biggest reason I stay away from most modern 2D games.I don't think people remembered how older 2D games actually felt back in the day.

ghibli99

Yep, Volgarr's amazing! My very first of only a small handful video reviews I did last year was for that game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBciHoXDfrY

No mentions of Intrusion 2 or BLEED? Shame on you, GAF

16480796769_a78ba82fd4_o.gif
I saw this and was like, "Woah! Gotta check this out!" Went to check my Steam library and there it was. From where I have no idea (probably a Humble Bundle), but hey, I'll take it. :)

I played flash games for like a decade before getting into Steam. Really don't see the similarity

I share a similar sentiment with them in that some games don't feel like they have weight within their movement. When he says flash game movement, it sort of reminds me of some flash games back in the day where it feels like they just glide across the ground, the walk cycle may not exactly fit the movement. Not only that but it feels like it moves at a uniform pace, like there is no actual jogging into running, for example when Mario runs he goes from a walk to a slightly faster jog into a full run with his arms out to the side, showing there is a transition in speed and movement cycle. It can also be done well even if they move in a uniform speed, if the animation is right. For example in the more recent Castlevanias, like Order of Ecclesia, if Shanoa runs in the opposite direction she is facing, you see her take a step the other way and start turning, So it feels like she was walking one way, then turns around to run the other way when she needs to, instead of having say a sprite just flip when you want to change direction.

EricB

They feel cheap in that it seems as if very little thought or effort was put into that aspect of the game. In games like Mario platformers or Megaman, the game basically is the movement. In many modern 2D games, the movement seems like more of an afterthought whereas the graphics and various game systems (rpg elements, destruction physics, etc) take center stage.

They feel cheap in that it seems as if very little thought or effort was put into that aspect of the game. In games like Mario platformers or Megaman, the game basically is the movement. In many modern 2D games, the movement seems like more of an afterthought whereas the graphics and various game systems (rpg elements, destruction physics, etc) take center stage.
Seems like a pretty jaded opinion without evidence to back it up

I mean, is there any evidence to support that or is it just something you think is true? Because I tend to follow indie game development closer than most, and trust me, every platformer I've followed, the movement tends to the first thing that devs focus on.

Soltype

It's hard to describe, but these games don't feel as good to control compared to older 2D titles.

I share a similar sentiment with them in that some games don't feel like they have weight within their movement. When he says flash game movement, it sort of reminds me of some flash games back in the day where it feels like they just glide across the ground, the walk cycle may not exactly fit the movement. Not only that but it feels like it moves at a uniform pace, like there is no actual jogging into running, for example when Mario runs he goes from a walk to a slightly faster jog into a full run with his arms out to the side, showing there is a transition in speed and movement cycle. It can also be done well even if they move in a uniform speed, if the animation is right. For example in the more recent Castlevanias, like Order of Ecclesia, if Shanoa runs in the opposite direction she is facing, you see her take a step the other way and start turning, So it feels like she was walking one way, then turns around to run the other way when she needs to, instead of having say a sprite just flip when you want to change direction.

This has to be part of the problem, I think some of it might also have to do with the engines they use.

Good to see Super Platformer Deluxe mentioned. I would categorize that with Super Crate Box as dang fine arcade action games.

In an earlier post, I mentioned strong publisher efforts by Adult Swim Games and Vlambeer. For Vlambeer, I meant to say Devolver - who published Luftrausers by Vlambeer, but also great 2D games like Not a Hero and BroForce.

I am really high on Luckslinger, a recent release. It has a demo, and I highly encouraged folks interested in the game to try that out.

Legend of Dungeon is another rogue-like I got on the cheap. I think it is excellent.

I mentioned quite a few games in an earlier post but I also wanted to plug offerings by Puppy Games, who created the Tower Defense game Revenge of the Titans, but also developed awesome retro action games like the Droid Assault, Titan Attacks and Ultratron. Droid Assault is like a spiritual successor to Berserk, Titans Attacks the same to Space Invaders, Ultratron to Robotron. Fun games.

As for games that I would qualify as quality "ports" on Steam (either from iOS or consoles): Death Rally, Halo: Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Edition, Dyad, Dynamite Jack, Nidhogg and the recently updated Gauntlet

Honorable mentions include Diehard Dungeon, Capsized, Pid, Rochard, Vessel, Apatheon, Dustforce DX and Gunman Clive. These are all games that may not have been mentioned earlier and/or I have not had an opportunity to play too much ... but I have enjoyed what I have played.

Also wanted to plug for Castle Crashers and Battleblock Theatre. Those games' flash-esque appearance made me think of the gameplay/responsiveness issue brought up here in the thread with recent games compared to titles from yesteryear. I've been playing video games since the arcade/2600 days and while some games certainly don't deliver like the oldies, many of the ones I and many others cited do hold up to that standard very well. Volgarr is indeed a good example of a game that very much delivers on that front. I also think Castle Crashers and Battlebock do too (I probably enjoy Battleblock more than CC).

Howeve,r unless there is a demo, there is no substitute for trying out the games and determining that for yourself. Many of my favorite Steam 2D games I got very cheap in bundles, aka as low-risk purchases, so I'm not sure what to recommend on that front.

By the way, Zombie Shooter and Alien Shoot 2 are very underrated throwback action RPGs worth checking out (usually priced cheap).

This has been an awesome thread, keep up the great suggestions.

Drinkel

It's hard to describe, but these games don't feel as good to control compared to older 2D titles.
I think that partially, this has to do with delayed inputs on many modern setups compared to a NES with a CRT. There are so many factors that cause extra delay in modern games that is very hard to account for as a developer.

Dave_6

Subscribing! Looks like there are a lot of games in here that I need to put on my wishlist, and many of them seem to have awesome soundtracks!

ArjanN

I think that partially, this has to do with delayed inputs on many modern setups compared to a NES with a CRT. There are so many factors that cause extra delay in modern games that is very hard to account for as a developer.

I think it's more due to more games going for more physics/momentum based movement.

Yogg

Just as a heads-up to Intrusion 2 players, I found that game floaty and kind of dull... maybe it picks up later.

I picked up Intrusion 2 from a Humble Bundle a while ago, and I felt the same: controls are strangely floaty. And the game is not easy. I loved the design and tha probotector atmosphere, but the controls just felt weird and a little bit laggy.

Gustavoh

Neo Member
Shank series, anyone? Mark of the Ninja is indeed Klei's better game, but Shank and Shank 2 are great too, IMHO.

Shank 2's coop survival mode was one of my most intense coop experiences in recent years (and it's got zombies too!).

FoxSpirit

Cool, I'll check out Volgarr then.
That's the biggest reason I stay away from most modern 2D games.I don't think people remembered how older 2D games actually felt back in the day.
Get Bleed then, too. Was a great recommendation. And my initial suggestion, Savant Ascent.
Wings of Vi also looks like it has super tight controls.

The ONLY game which fits your description fully in here is Intrusion 2 and it actually is... a flash game. Performs badly too.

Care to mention which games you feel have non-tight controls aside from that?

Good thread, I or someone else will have to create a Doujin version that includes similar games that haven't made it to Steam or even outside of Comiket.

Speaking of Doujin, Steam is having a sale http://store.steampowered.com/sale/doujin/
a perfect chance for me to play Fairy Bloom Freesia

I was gonna mention Crescent Pale Mist but I see that it's still in Greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=371599675
I played the original comiket release which had some balance issues which I believe were addressed somewhat in this (PS3) version, fun boss fights though.

While a RPG roguelike Crypt of the Necrodancer is thread worthy due to it's rhythm mechanics

BTW can anyone recommend Super House of Dead Ninjas? I've played the original flash game but it had an annoying quirk in the controls that made jumping down through gaps in the floor difficult, does the Steam version still have this?

epmode

SonyToo!™;175470576 said:
BTW can anyone recommend Super House of Dead Ninjas? I've played the original flash game but it had an annoying quirk in the controls that made jumping down through gaps in the floor difficult, does the Steam version still have this?

I can't say I ever had that problem but I've never played the original so I can't compare it.

SHDN is REALLY GOOD, by the way.

What's up the movement in all these new 2D games, everything is too loose.Do they all run on the same engine.

Which games are you talking about, exactly? Volgarr and Shovel Knight control very similarly to their old-school inspirations; Outland has unbelievably tight and elegantly balanced movement mechanics; Ori plays like a dream. I don't think this is actually a very common problem in well-received games of this type.

Foul Play

I can't really think of a way to describe it in a sentence so I'll just list off some things and link the steam page.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244810/

- Satisfying combat
- Co-op
- Brawler
- Fun silly story
- Style is very much The Behemoth-like
- Monocle, Top hat, and other stereotypical British things

It's been a while since I played so I know I'm missing some stuff. Also it's only $2.24 and for a 2-pack it's $3.74 until August 17th.

Shank series, anyone? Mark of the Ninja is indeed Klei's better game, but Shank and Shank 2 are great too, IMHO.

Shank 2's coop survival mode was one of my most intense coop experiences in recent years (and it's got zombies too!).
Shank series is excellent, good call! Loved the co-op in both games. Highly recommended.

gelf

I forgot Shank existed! They didn't meet universal acclaim but I'd put them both above most modern attempts to update the beat-em-up genre.

Jintor

If anyone knows more beat-em-ups like Aces Wild or that kinda stuff I'd be greatful. Someone mentioned '2D Platinum' before and I want that.

1001 spikes is the best 2d platformer on steam and shits all over shovel knight.

Give it a try. You'll love it and will be constantly surprised with how much it keeps giving you.

If you don't like it, you will.

Also super house of dead ninjas and risk of rain are particularly brilliant.

It's pretty good, but "shits all over Shovel Knight"?

Yes. Shovel knight is massively overrated and is overall a short and poorly designed game.

I accept that not many people will share this opinion and yes it is an over exaggeration :). However more people playing 1001 spikes and appreciating the actual level design, crafted balance and impressive amount of content will increase that number.

I feel it goes well beyond chucking a number of elements from old games together and calling it a day.

This thread is very relevant to my interests. +1 for Oniken in the sense that it controls, sounds, and plays EXACTLY like a NES game you never had. Wonderful, awesome game.

-1 for Volgarr because I almost broke a controller for the first time in a decade playing it.

No love for Outland? Of all the 2D action games I've played in the last decade, it's one of the best for the sheer joy of moving and controlling the character. The game has great bosses and a nifty polarity-switching gimmick, and it went tragically underappreciated on its initial release, in part because it had the misfortune of coming out right before the big PSN hack and then not seeing a PC port for 3+ years.
Watched the trailer for this and immediately bought it, thanks for the recommend. Also picked up Odallus finally because I loved Oniken so much, and can't wait to see what they do with a Castelvania setting.

Spladam

That's a tough one man, I really enjoy Metal Slug 3, Mark of the Ninja, Terraria, Beathazard, and Ikaruga. If I had to choose..... two..... Beat Hazard and Terraria.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I picked up Intrusion 2 from a Humble Bundle a while ago, and I felt the same: controls are strangely floaty. And the game is not easy. I loved the design and tha probotector atmosphere, but the controls just felt weird and a little bit laggy.

I'll third this opinion. Can't recommend this game, awful movement.

Top Bottom