• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2D action games on Steam?

Vex_

Banned
Aces Wild is a real hidden gem of a brawler that kind of takes what Bayonetta did with free movement and a great dodge-into-attack mechanic and puts it back in a side view 2D space. High skill ceiling, very difficult if you want it to be, and has a couple extra characters for variety.

tumblr_inline_n7uki8jzYT1szvpkb.gif

wow wtf? Where did this come from??!

blurr

Aces Wild is a real hidden gem of a brawler that kind of takes what Bayonetta did with free movement and a great dodge-into-attack mechanic and puts it back in a side view 2D space. High skill ceiling, very difficult if you want it to be, and has a couple extra characters for variety.

Haha, came to this thread to post this, 3 pages too late :p

Really awesome game, lots of button mashing involved.

Corpekata

Banned
Bleed is great and was mentioned a couple times. I am terrible at finding gifs for it but it's like Twin stick action platforming shooting with bullet time. Some killer bosses, variety of weapons too. Developers are making a sequel too.

Nuclear Throne if isometric 2d counts.

popyea

This gif doesn't even really demonstrate why the game is so good. It's a brilliant distillation of character action goodness using simple and unique ideas.

ElTopo

Banned
5CDB032853A9D1EAB5D3E3228CFBD22D065B3949

Odallus: The Dark Call. On par with the NES Castlevanias (well, 1 and 3. You know what I mean).

They Bleed Pixels is another good one. Plus Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge.

Another vote for Bleed. One of the most overlooked games ever.

Conversely, I hated They Bleed Pixels. But I still finished it, so... can't have hated it THAT much.

ElTopo

Banned
Bleed was good but very short. I beat the entire game at the hardest difficulty in about 4 hours. Not bad for $5 but it's not very replayable. Still undeniably a good game of course.

kagamin

Dunno if they've been mentioned, but I really liked Momodora III (you don't even need to play the first two ^_^) and Fairy Bloom Freesia.

patapuf

Love the suggestions in this thread. The first time in quite a while where i've discoverd some really interesting looking stuff i never knew existed.

FloatOn

Risk of Rain is hard as fuck but pretty fun. Especially in multiplayer.

I haven't played it yet but maybe also look into Teleglitch

Damn, all of these games look fantastic! I already have Fortune Summoners from the Carpe Fulgur collection but have ignored it as I assumed it was a JRPG... Will play it when I get home, as soon as I buy the hell out of all of your picks.

As for my contribution, +1 to Mark of the Ninja. Absolutely amazing game, it's a stealth game with plenty of twitch 2D elements. Not frustrating at all!

ArjanN

Bleed was good but very short. I beat the entire game at the hardest difficulty in about 4 hours. Not bad for $5 but it's not very replayable. Still undeniably a good game of course.

Arcade mode in Bleed requires you to beat the game with one life, and easy arcade mode is harder than very hard story mode. :p

Aw man, that looks really cool, but the reviews are not great.

IMO Bloodrayne Betrayal was pretty underrated.

Came here to cast my vote for Super House of Dead Ninjas, Spelunky, Mark of the Ninja, and Guacamelee. Some of the other games people have been mentioning look really great as well, and I'll have to check those out.

ArjanN

Tell me more.

"Wings of Vi is a 2D platform game created by Grynsoft, a danish indie developer team led by Jesper "Solgryn" Erlandsen. The game, a spiritual successor to I Wanna Be The Boshy,"

You have to be willing to put up with Super Meat Boy type death counts, but (IMO) the game actually is fair and once you beat a really challenging section or boss it's immensely satisfying.

Couple of pulls from Steam's community artwork page:

There's a demo on Steam I think.

Dachande

Wow, some of these look great. Aces Wild especially, I had a coworker walk past my desk while I was watching the video on the Steam page and stop to watch it with me because it looked so impressive.

Some people are recommending some weird non-action games in this thread as well though. Like, Spelunky? Terraria? Shantae? I wouldn't class those as action games, they're platformers if anything.

Beware: Aces Wild will break you over its knee if you don't knuckle down and learn the systems. It is as hard as absolute balls. Very, very good though.

No mentions of Intrusion 2?
16480796769_a78ba82fd4_o.gif
Yes! Intrusion 2 is definitely worth mentioning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZAzNKZBew

yes. intrusion 2 is totally and completely bad ass

love those sidescrolling mech games too. armored hunter gunhound ex and gigantic army.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI9nZoVpprU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgztPYKHQto

nyu media has some really fun straight shoot em ups too, nice discount on these right now http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Nyu Media

Jintor

didn't realise aces wild was so highly revered. good! i like it a lot.

Not a huge fan of valdis story - something about the combat feels off to me, not to mention the overwhelming RPG interface

WarRock

Echoing Valdis Story, They Bleed Pixels, Mark of the Ninja and Aces Wild recommendations, and gonna add Momotora III.

I need to check Wings of Vi and see how Joylancer is doing nowadays.

Why is that ?

The definitive edition adds a new area and a new boss (which are great additions), but then it also adds a bunch of stuff that are unnecessary and makes the game a lot less fun. Stuff like teleporting enemies that can break your combo at will, a bunch of attacks that are completely unblockable/undodgeable, etc. Stuff like that basically made the game cheaper (and is not just relegated to the new area/boss, they put those throughout the entire game).

The combat in the original is a lot more fun and actually being able to combo the enemies is very satisfying in that game (which makes it even more baffling that they put in enemies that can teleport out of it at will).

Manoko

The definitive edition adds a new area and a new boss (which are great additions), but then it also adds a bunch of stuff that are unnecessary and makes the game a lot less fun. Stuff like teleporting enemies that can break your combo at will, a bunch of attacks that are completely unblockable/undodgeable, etc. Stuff like that basically made the game cheaper (and is not just relegated to the new area/boss, they put those throughout the entire game).

The combat in the original is a lot more fun and actually being able to combo the enemies is very satisfying in that game (which makes it even more baffling that they put in enemies that can teleport out of it at will).

I understand, thanks for the informative answer. :)

Soltype

What's up the movement in all these new 2D games, everything is too loose.Do they all run on the same engine.

JimmyJones

Banned
I own and highly recommend all of these.

Axiom Verge
Spelunky
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
La-Mulana
Guacamelee
Super Meat Boy
Castle Crashers
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
LIMBO
Shovel Knight
Cave Story
1001 Spikes

Wings of Vi

Amazing and incredibly challenging.

Seconded. It's some of the most fun boss battles I've played in a 2D action game. It's extremely satisfying to finally beat them.

La-Mulana is just a little too over the top in the obscurity department but I really like it.

Volgarr the Viking is a favorite. Once you start being able to rip through levels, you feel like a badass.

Ori is easier than the games above, but it's really solid in every category.

Off topic but We Shall Wake is looking like a sci-fi 3D version of this
325StJL.gif

EricB

What's up the movement in all these new 2D games, everything is too loose.Do they all run on the same engine.

I understand what you're saying and agree to a certain extent. The attacking can also be really unsatisfying (think Terraria) in its speed and airiness. It feels like attacking with a pencil or something - there is no weight. As if the creators were working based off of a picture of a 2D game from the past without really understanding what made it enjoyable in the first place.

However, they are most certainly not all like that and there are plenty of games in this thread alone that control tightly and satisfyingly.

Two of my favorites of all time:

Outland - This will go down as one of my favorite games of all time. It's a 2d platformer meets Ikaruga, with some of the most epic and fun boss encounters in any game.

Electronic Super Joy - Crazy fun, hard platformer with absolutely awesome rocking soundtrack. I prefer this over Super Meat Boy.

derExperte

Top Bottom