• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2D action games on Steam?

Nordicus

Valdis Story tops my list, some recent updates even added a bunch of new characters and enemies.
Yup, and another update that left beta like a day ago, added an Arena Mode, that's all escalating randomized boss fights, and you upgrade your character between fights. You'll eventually fight 3 at a time

Tain

The best 2D action games on Steam are mostly console or arcade to PC ports.

Crimzon Clover, Ikaruga, Gunhound, Metal Slug 3, etc.

Volgarr's great too.

Ys (Origins is the most focused, and overall the best by far)
When it comes to Ys, my first instinct is to classify Napishtim, Origins, and Felghana as 3D action games. I'm not super crazy about the first two games, but they are solid 2D action games.

Yes! I love 2D on the Steam so I will try to post more details/games later. Here are a few favs:

Hero No More (more actiony than Ronin/Gunpoint).
Castle in the Darkness
Fist of Awesome/Fist Puncher
Hammerwatch
Jamestown
Luckslinger
Luftrausers
Retro City Rampage
Super Crate Box
Westerado

Gren

Super Time Force Ultra and Valdis Story, off the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh, and Velocity 2X, which comes out 8/19. It has shmup segments though (but they're done in a rather unique way for the genre).

Keasar

No mentions of Intrusion 2 or BLEED? Shame on you, GAF

16480796769_a78ba82fd4_o.gif

Yes! Intrusion 2 is definitely worth mentioning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZAzNKZBew

FoxSpirit

Define action. Best combat system? Fortune Summoners and Valdis Story: Abyssal City. Best shooters? Bleed and Bionic Commando Rearmed. Best metrioidvanias? Cave Story+, Guacamelee and Dust.
For me action games is every game where the action part has a focus and is somewhat demanding.
Like Shantae:Risky's Revenge isn't an action game though there is one part where the fighting actually demands some speed and precision.

So in an action game, the fighting should be one of the, if not the main draw.

Also, Volgar makes grown men cry.

Justinh

First one to come to mind was Shovel Knight, but that's been mentioned.

Super Time Force? I have it, but have hardly played it. It's kinda puzzly IIRC, though. Is Castle Crashers acceptable? I really like that game. I really liked Axiom Verge too, but I guess that would be more adventure than action? (oh, I guess I'm late on that. Had my reply window open while going through my Steam Library, lol)

There's also the Angry Video Game Nerd adventures game. Some people might like it, although I'm not a fan of it.

Pretty sure you can buy Shinobi III on Steam, so that.

Only 3 dollars! The Streets of Rage games are 3 bucks each too, but I got all the Sega games when there was that great deal for the bundle for 4 or 5 dollars on Amazon.

Krejlooc

Banned
That would get my vote if only it ran at the correct speed.

The games on the genesis collection are binary dumps of the roms. The emulator automatically adjusts according to region. So you can open up the game in a hex editor and change the E to J and it'll run at 60 hz.

Elija2

I will always vouch for Fortune Summoners.
UmXipAc.png

gT0B1Ev.jpg

Yes, you play as a little girl with a sword. No you are not secretly 10,000 years old and flashing panties everywhere. The game is tame for JRPG standards on that regard. It reminds me of Zelda a little bit because you are actually quite young and some of the childish things are somewhat funny. For instance, the main character struggles with addition.

I gave that game a try and I found the controls to be really stiff. Some people defend it by saying that you need to be deliberate in your attacks, but I still found the combat to be unsatisfying. I wasn't a fan of the momentum-based movement either.

lazygecko

The games on the genesis collection are binary dumps of the roms. The emulator automatically adjusts according to region. So you can open up the game in a hex editor and change the E to J and it'll run at 60 hz.

The music is changed though and plays at the same speed at 50hz. Changing the PAL version to run at 60hz would make the music faster than intended.

Tain

The music is changed though and plays at the same speed at 50hz. Changing the PAL version to run at 60hz would make the music faster than intended.

I never realized the only changes made were to the music. I assumed they fucked with the mechanics for some reason. Good to know.

tuxfool

Banned

You could always try to underclock your monitor by adding a 50hz mode...then playing the game like that.

I gave that game a try and I found the controls to be really stiff. Some people defend it by saying that you need to be deliberate in your attacks, but I still found the combat to be unsatisfying. I wasn't a fan of the momentum-based movement either.

The strange dislocation between the tap vs hold for variable attacks was wierd; I need to see if it does that on kb, too.

Broforce
Super Meat Boy
Volgarr
Shovel Knight

Monaco, if top-down 2D count.

They Bleed Pixels. One of the most underrated games in years. Great platforming and simple, but fun, battle system.

I rank it at the same level than SMB, personally. One of the most challenging platformers on Steam, and plenty of very interesting design ideas - like you have to manage your selfpoints yourself.

I really like Super House Of The Dead Ninjas. Great game.

Anyone tried that game Shadow Blade: Reload on Steam ? Looking very tasty that.
Super House of Dead Ninjas is indeed great. Second only to Spelunky for me.

Shadow Blade: Reload is solid. Janky and formulaic, but the levels change significantly on the higher difficulties and the controls are tight enough for me to bother speedrunning it. Its combat (and subsequently boss fights) is nothing to write home about, though.

lazygecko

I never realized the only changes made were to the music. I assumed they fucked with the mechanics for some reason. Good to know.

The music was optimized to play at its original 60hz speed in 50hz. The gameplay wasn't, so the gameplay speed is still 10hz slower. For a fast paced action game, that's a pretty big deal.

HyperHip

Hmm do you count beat em ups? If so...

Freedom Planet
Double Dragon Neon
Ys Origins
Tembo The Badass Elephant
Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds
Noitu Love 2

jvm

Gamasutra.
Beat Hazard
Guacamelee
Hotline Miami 1/2
Nidhogg (though it has much more of a multiplayer focus)
Towerfall (same as above to a lesser extent)
Dark Void Zero (it's basically just an NES game)
Why did it take until the 13th reply to get Guacamelee mentioned?

Very, very disappointing. :(

Edit: Sorry, I see that BPoole came up with it in the 9th reply. Still should have been 1st reply. ;)

iosefe

Aces Wild is a real hidden gem of a brawler that kind of takes what Bayonetta did with free movement and a great dodge-into-attack mechanic and puts it back in a side view 2D space. High skill ceiling, very difficult if you want it to be, and has a couple extra characters for variety.

tumblr_inline_n7uki8jzYT1szvpkb.gif

god damn shiba...

BooJoh

I'm a fan of Rogue Legacy myself, but there really are a ton of great games on Steam whether they're PC-exclusive or not.

I realised I've neglected 2D action games on Steam so I'm gonna give a few posted in this thread a look.

Especially this.
Aces Wild is a real hidden gem of a brawler that kind of takes what Bayonetta did with free movement and a great dodge-into-attack mechanic and puts it back in a side view 2D space. High skill ceiling, very difficult if you want it to be, and has a couple extra characters for variety.

tumblr_inline_n7uki8jzYT1szvpkb.gif

I guess if I had to add anything, Freedom Planet.

I really like Super House Of The Dead Ninjas. Great game.

Anyone tried that game Shadow Blade: Reload on Steam ? Looking very tasty that.
Yes, Dead Ninjas is very good.
Nuclear Throne is *incredible*. I play it all the time and it's not even finished yet.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242680/

So long as you're not hung up on the 60 FPS thing. I deal with 30 FPS since no one does guns quite like Vlambeer.
True words. I play this regularly. Combat feels so good.
I'm a fan of Rogue Legacy myself, but there really are a ton of great games on Steam whether they're PC-exclusive or not.
I'm in the minority but I just can't get into Rogue Legacy. I plan to return to it though.

Also recommend doing a Publisher search for Vlambeer and Adult Swim Games. Both very consistent with 2D game quality.

EricB

A lot of my recommendations have already been listed, so I'll add

Odallus:
Odallus_beta3-600x337.jpg

Oniken:
oniken02.png

The Joylancer:
JOYLANCER-02.jpg

and the recently released (on early access) Megaman-like 20XX seems pretty cool though it is only in alpha and I admittedly haven't played much yet:
6qaUCkN.png

Mephala

Yep. Those are valid complaints and if you can't enjoy this type of mechanics it will definitely be hard to get into the game. I loved it but totally understand if others could not get into it for these reasons.

No love for Outland? Of all the 2D action games I've played in the last decade, it's one of the best for the sheer joy of moving and controlling the character. The game has great bosses and a nifty polarity-switching gimmick, and it went tragically underappreciated on its initial release, in part because it had the misfortune of coming out right before the big PSN hack and then not seeing a PC port for 3+ years.

Beyond that, I'd mostly reiterate other suggestions. Volgarr is tough but an expertly crafted take on a certain type of tough, arcade-esque 16-bit action. Castle in the Darkness is a phenomenal (and also sadly underappreciated) riff on Castlevania, with tons of fantastic bosses, excellent level design, and a killer 8-bit soundtrack. Shovel Knight is a pitch-perfect take on the Mega Man formula, also with a killer 8-bit soundtrack.

I mentally file them away as other genres, but Mark of the Ninja (action-stealth) and Ori and the Blind Forest (Metroidvania) are also both excellent.

Ionic

Came in to say Volgarr. But it looks like GAF already has their head on straight. It's slower than many of these zippy action games, but when you get a perfect run you'll feel the high of a true warrior in battle. First you'll beat it after dying 100 times. Then you'll find there is a secret ending. Then you'll find that you only saw part of the game and will proceed to beat the game again. Then you'll do it all without dying. Volgarr will grab you and not let go until it's done with you.

Seems like most of the greats have been mentioned so I will throw out a recommendation for Tiny Barbarian DX. It seems to be somewhat forgotten but I had a lot of fun with it.

Also the various games from Blaze Epic like Shin Samurai Jazz are fun, low cost games made in a retro style. Probably not for everyone, but if you think they look good then chances are you will enjoy them.

Top Bottom