• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Health Ministry: Heinz can't call its product “ketchup” on Hebrew labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://time.com/4006235/israel-heinz-ketchup/

Israel Rules Heinz Isn’t Ketchup
Sarah Begley
Aug. 21, 2015

In America, “Heinz” is practically synonymous with “ketchup.” But that won’t be true in Israel—at least, not in Hebrew. The country’s Health Ministry says that the company can no longer call its tomato product “ketchup” on Hebrew labels because it does not contain enough tomato paste.

The decision came after protest by a local competitor, food manufacturer Osem, who complained about the low amount of actual tomato product in the condiment, according to Haaretz. The ministry ruled that Heinz must be labeled as “tomato seasoning” in Hebrew text, though English-language labels may still use “ketchup.”

The local importer of Heinz is petitioning to have the definition of “ketchup” changed to include the iconic product. Haaretz reports the ministry is working with the importer to change the requirement from 10% tomato solids to 6%.

Only time will tell if the regulatory change will move faster than Heinz sliding out of a glass bottle.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love food of all shapes and sizes. I've had all sorts of fancy ketchup made all sorts of ways, including some from five star establishments.

None of them are as good as Heinz. Not a single one. I don't care about the high fructose corn syrup, the lack of tomato, whatever. The stuff is delicious.

hiryu64

The local importer of Heinz is petitioning to have the definition of “ketchup” changed to include the iconic product.
Why didn't you bold this? This seems like the most notable part of the article.

What? I've got a bottle of Heinz Simply Ketchup in front of me and the ingredients are:
Tomato concentrate from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, onion powder, spice, natural flavoring.
It's by far tomato. Just because it's not "paste"?

orkanamn

Banned
2925948866_5d0366f7af_b.jpg

What? I've got a bottle of Heinz Simply Ketchup in front of me and the ingredients are:
Tomato concentrate from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, onion powder, spice, natural flavoring.
It's by far tomato. Just because it's not "paste"?
Is that different from regular Heinz Ketchup?

kaye

Banned
Well then don't call it ketchup, call it tomato sauce which is what they should be doing in the first place. Not hard.

Reversed

There's only 2 big international ketchup brands in here: Heinz and Hunt's. The latter tastes terrible. Would it be considered ketchup by the IHM standards?

Chuckie

This is funny as hell, because ketchup doesn't even have to contain tomatoes. The Indonesian version 'kecap' certainly doesn't.

A ketchup is merely a table sauce. I know of course that tomato ketchup has become the standard ketchup but to say you can't call your sauce ketchup doesn't have enough tomatoes seems really ridiculous (and likely politically motivated)

yarden24

This is funny as hell, because ketchup doesn't even have to contain tomatoes. The Indonesian version 'kecap' certainly doesn't.

A ketchup is merely a table sauce. I know of course that tomato ketchup has become the standard ketchup but to say you can't call your sauce ketchup doesn't have enough tomatoes seems really ridiculous (and likely politically motivated)

its a move that came about because of the lobbying of a local ketchup maker (which I like more honestly)

thefit

Is there even any tomato in ketchup? Because I don't care and I like it on my sandwiches like my mom used to make for me. Also, fuck mustard.

Frog-fu

Banned
Ketchup should only be used to make bad tasting food edible. Any other use is simply obscuring the taste under a layer of salt and sugar - it's an affront to good cuisine.

Even then actual quality tomato sauce is where it's at. Much better.

masud

Banned
Ketchup should only be used to make bad tasting food edible. Any other use is simply obscuring the taste under a layer of salt and sugar - it's an affront to good cuisine.

Even then actual quality tomato sauce is where it's at. Much better.

Tomato sauce tastes absolutely nothing like ketchup though? I wouldn't put tomato sauce on fries or a burger.

way more

Heh, as advanced and smart as they are Israelis still use bottled ketchup. Seems like they would be at the forefront of local, fresh, and farm grown. You know, because of the kibitzes.

Deeply robust with the rich-sweet flavor of concentrated tomato, this ketchup differs from the cloying sweet varieties you find in the grocery store. Allspice and cloves, traditional inclusions often omitted in most store-bought varieties, bring a level of depth that would be otherwise absent. Not a particularly quick food, this homemade ketchup is slowly ripened and aged over a period of three to five days as beneficial bacteria metabolize the food’s natural sugars, creating a condiment that is potently rich in food enzymes and probiotics. It’s a traditional process, lactofermentation, that increases the nutritional value of the foods we eat and love.

This recipe is for you KimiNewt

http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-ketchup/

Ketchup is gross anyways. I use it only for french fries and only if there isn't any other dip available.

Ranch. It's what classy people use for fries!

Aeana

No you're not. Ketchup is for children. Adults should be using actual tomato sauce.

Ketchup and tomato sauce don't taste remotely similar, and as such are not a replacement for one another. Have you ever tried simply stating you don't like something without simultaneously insulting everyone with a different viewpoint?

Condom

Best to support local products over international ones. Never buy Heinz for that reason, rather choose a company of the nation I reside in.

down 2 orth

You know who invented ketchup? I'll give you a clue:
茄汁

Not much tomato content with theirs either.

Ketchup and tomato sauce don't taste remotely similar, and as such are not a replacement for one another. Have you ever tried simply stating you don't like something without simultaneously insulting everyone with a different viewpoint?

And besides, adults use sriracha sauce anyway.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Adding a bit of ketchup to mayo makes one of the world's greatest sauces. like 75% mayo, 25% ketchup is about the right mixture. This is all you ever need for the most delicious burger imaginable. My burgers taste perfect.

I'm gonna see if I can find some Osem ketchup though, and see if it mixes better with mayo. This ketchup and mayo mixture thing is still blowing my mind after all these years. I've still got it! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

xenist

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom