• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Health Ministry: Heinz can't call its product “ketchup” on Hebrew labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

Tomato ketchup is different to tomato sauce? I had no idea, everything gets called tomato sauce here so I didn't know there was a distinction.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Now I want to try a brand considered Ketchup in Israel to compare to Heinz Ketchup to see which taste better.

SLV

Tomato ketchup is different to tomato sauce? I had no idea, everything gets called tomato sauce here so I didn't know there was a distinction.

As far as i know, atleast in europe, it goes like this, there are three things:

1. Ketchup - sweet and disgusting
2. Tomato sauce - very varied, sweet, spicy, medium, for pasta, for Pizza, for bbq e.t.c. Actually tastes like tomatoes most of the time, i prefer the spicy shashlik one.
3. Tomato pasta - mostly used in cooking, sauces, pizzas e.t.c.

Best to support local products over international ones. Never buy Heinz for that reason, rather choose a company of the nation I reside in.

Every other brand of ketchup I've tried has been gross. Heinz (specifically, "Simply Heinz" style) is the only ketchup that tastes remotely good on anything.

I generally only use a little bit anyway. I don't usually put it on burgers either, for that I usually mix mayo, mustard, relish, onion powder and some vinegar and make a quick "Mac" sauce. Or some other sauce like BBQ sauce if the other toppings work with it.

So Israel has ruled that because Heinz doesn't contain enough actual tomato, it must now label itself as something that actually sounds more tomato-y than "ketchup"

yarden24

Now I want to try a brand considered Ketchup in Israel to compare to Heinz Ketchup to see which taste better.

honestly you probably wont like it as much, from what i can tell from my friends and such, the ketchup you eat when still a child is the one you will like more later in life.

you never know though, try some.

DOWN

Banned
Who the heck are these people in the thread that think tomato sauce and ketchup are remotely interchangeable?

Oh, let me go find a burger restaurant that has tomato sauce on hand. Hmm, I bet my favorite pasta place uses ketchup on sphagetti and I just wasn't refined enough to notice.

WHAT THE FUIICK

Is that different from regular Heinz Ketchup?

Yes. The recipe is simpler, it lacks corn syrup and it tastes exactly how I remember Ketchup tasting as a kid. I never really realized how "off" the current Heinz recipe is until I ate the Simply Heinz version and suddenly remembered this was how ketchup was supposed to taste.

Who the heck are these people in the thread that think tomato sauce and ketchup are remotely interchangeable?

Oh, let me go find a burger restaurant that has tomato sauce on hand. Hmm, I bet my favorite pasta place uses ketchup on sphagetti and I just wasn't refined enough to notice.

WHAT THE FUIICK

When he was little, my Brother's Easy Bake oven came with a pizza recipe that used ketchup as the sauce.

Evidently he never made that recipe.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I don't think any other ketchup besides Heinz should be allowed to call their tomato sauce ketchup.

Hagi

WHAT THE FUIICK

lol every restaurant or fast food place I go to if you ask for tomato sauce they will give you it. Obviously what we call tomato sauce is actually ketchup or something similar. Have you never heard or brown sauce or Worcestershire sauce?

The most common use of the term tomato sauce in New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and the United Kingdom is to describe a popular, commercially produced condiment, similar to American ketchup, typically applied to foods such as meat pies, sausages, other meats, and potato chips.[4] Tomato-based sauces served with pasta would commonly be referred to as "pasta sauce". In the UK the meaning of the term "tomato sauce" depends on the context; on a restaurant menu the phrase "in a tomato sauce" means a freshly prepared tomato based sauce as used on pasta, and colloquially it may refer to either the pasta sauce or American ketchup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_sauce

Heinz is a fairly local brand for me. It's so ubiquitous that even most of the store brands around here are made by Heinz. They use real sugar in their ketchup now, the HFCS is reserved for the store brands.

Now French's is trying to get in on ketchup. Fuck that shit.

This is a good-tasting ketchup, but I wish it came in a non-HFCS version:

gkWkVUM.jpg

I use Simply Heinz instead. Hunt's isn't good.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
honestly you probably wont like it as much, from what i can tell from my friends and such, the ketchup you eat when still a child is the one you will like more later in life.

you never know though, try some.
This is not true. I grew up with Hellmann's ketchup, and when I tried Heinz this year I found it way better than the former. That's one thing I liked more about US Burger King than the local one, because on the flip side New Yorkers have to drink Coke when eating at BK instead of the superior Pepsi.

Verendus

Banned
Ketchup is for terrible human beings.

I mad suspect anyone eating that. Like this guy is probably carrying around a gun in the trunk of his car, and getting ready to hurt someone. It's the tell of all tells. I'm creating a theory that will hopefully help save a lot of lives.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ketchup sucks

spicy ketchup though... now you've got something

thanks for making that a product I can buy at the store, Whataburger

truly you are the best burger chain

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I hope this approach to things starts finding it's way to North America.

This is a company that has a near monopoly in the Israeli market lobbying to arbitrarily raise the defined limit to keep Heinz out, this is nothing to be "celebrating".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom