• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

Edit::

Would just like to clarify this is for the Online FOBS and not your own Single Player Motherbase Upgrades.

FOB - Forward Operating Base

It's been discussed in the MB Coins Pricing thread but I figured I'd make a thread for this so that people can see for themselves whats going on with the FOB situation, if it needs to be closed then by all means lock it down.

This information is relevant to the FOB Online mode.

This guide states it was:

"Written in conjunction with the Metal Gear Solid V development team and offering exclusive game data and insights not available elsewhere."

Guys, I'm looking at the official guide I got today and it states the following:

You must be online to build FOBs. Your first FOB is free of charge.
Additional FOBs must be purchased with MB Coins, aqquired through microtransactions with real-life money.

Theres nothing about earning them ingame from what I can see.

Image from the guide:

Let me know if I need to take it down for being a scan:

qrOL7Ti.jpg

Mother Base (MB Coins)

Info from Gamescom
A fuck ton, if the last screen we have of the FOB prices is still accurate.
FSFEkLy.jpg

FOBs also increase your revenue for single player.

You should add this to the OP-
FOBs let you earn resources for use in SP as well as dictate how many missions you can dispatch soldiers to, 1 FOB=2 active missions at once.

Edit::

I'm probably halfway through the game and the servers aren't even up, so I haven't been able to access an FOB yet.

They don't really seem all that necessary. Yes, some of the "research" times are getting longer in the late game, but I'm pacing my development so that while I'm researching one thing, I'm getting done with another and have a new toy to play with while I do a handful of missions to bide my time.

Is this still a scummy practice? Yes, but it has not presented any huge issues so far in terms of progression.

Boke1879

While I know this won't hamper my enjoyment of the game. It's good you let this info out there. Konami have been coy about FOB's.

You should add this to the OP-
FOBs let you earn resources for use in SP as well as dictate how many missions you can dispatch soldiers to, 1 FOB=2 active missions at once.

After completing the game, i can confirm motherbase stuff becomes a real fucking grind, FOB's would dramatically reduce the time it takes to get resources you need to build bases and even deploy into the battlefield with certain items.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's no way to earn them in game? Holy fuck, I thought these purchases would just be related to speeding things up for research.

Question : does not having an FOB and/or playing offline altogether affects the single player?

Basically, think of this as a base building mechanic. You build weapons and soldiers and R&D in mother base, and construction take minutes, hours and days. Need to construct more than what Mother base allows you to? You'll need an FOB. FOB is essential part of the game in my eyes. It limits you quickly you access things, and it's quite disgusting to do so. It also allows you to deploy more soldiers than MB allows. Got no FOB? Tough luck. You will also miss out on a fun infiltration game mode that requires FOB.

Will there be public shaming on Konami even further? Don't know. I hope there is. This is straight up F2P practice found in mobile games.

Boke1879

Not to sound snarky but how many of us are going to bring this to the attention of the press and ultimately Konami or will we just sit here and throw a fuss about it and watch ultimately nothing change?

This purely multiplayer, right? If it is, and we all get one free than we should be able to play. I'm guessing the additional ones coming at a real life cost is to offset the cost of running the servers?

Erheller

After completing the game, i can confirm motherbase stuff becomes a real fucking grind, FOB's would dramatically reduce the time it takes to get resources you need to build bases and even deploy into the battlefield with certain items.

Do those resources generate only while the game is open?

jacobeid

Banned
I already don't want to deal with this metagame stuff and the FOB system is making it even more confusing.

Wish I could just play the damn single player and never have to worry about all this extra crap
it wasn't crap until Konami fucked it up.

Gaz_RB

How much coins are needed to unlock a second base?

A fuck ton, if the last screen we have of the FOB prices is still accurate.
FSFEkLy.jpg

This purely multiplayer, right? If it is, and we all get one free than we should be able to play. I'm guessing the additional ones coming at a real life cost is to offset the cost of running the servers?

FOBs also increase your revenue for single player.

"Your first FOB is free of charge."
This makes me fucking sick.

So is it for sure impossible to get the MB Coins without paying?

There goes my dreams for a huge motherbase

A-V-B

Is there one of those delightful 4th wall breaking conversations/tutorial for this?

FOB?

Real Life Money?

For just a few seconds, Ocelot or Miller is taken over by a bodysnatching alien, and his neck starts snapping around like Lisa from PT -- "Snaaaake, you...c-ccann... only.. get morrreee foorward operating... BASES! with... real.. life... mmonnneey"

"Ocelot?!"

"What? Are you okay, Snake?"

"I thought I just saw... nothing."

For someone who has been interested in but avoiding detailed coverage of the game, a few quick questions:

Are these "FOB" things necessary to basically complete and enjoy the game? Can I play through the main campaign or whatever without it? I don't really care about 100%ing this game.

I'm not spending a penny more than $60 on this game, so I'd like to know upfront.

ironcreed

Banned
im kinda surprised at the official wording going straight up "REAL-LIFE MONEY"

Hey, we are talking Metal Gear Solid V here, the perfect "guaranteed GOTY." You have to pay a premium in order to have the privilege to pay more of a premium. Buy to pay at it's finest.

Alienous

Is there one of those delightful 4th wall breaking conversations/tutorial for this?

FOB?

Real Life Money?

"What do you mean GMP isn't enough. You want... real money?"

*Kaz looks at camera*

"I guess you'll have to pay up"

*Snake gives a silent but expensive nod, directed at the camera*

Top Bottom