• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
LSHQ8bG.png

jacobeid

Banned
Thankfully the main game can be completed without doing any of this stuff. Already people have beaten this so it's possible and I truly wonder how many people were bothered.

But people wanting to max out everything will literally have to put in hundreds of hours into this.

I truly wonder if Konami will say anything

I've been trying to stay out of the threads, but this is good to know.

I never planned on 100%ing the game, but the second that I feel like I need to grind to progress the single player missions, I'm out.

Sounds like another Peace Walker situation, which is why I was worried when Mother Base stuff was returning.

Yup, that's the reason I never finished PW. I was concerned but didn't think people would be describing this game as a grind.

Good thing I can wait until this game is $20 on a steam sale. Very little reason to reward any AAA developer with $60 on launch day in this era.

majik13

Didn't they mention in one of the videos that the microtransactions are just short cuts, but don't lock the user out of anything they cant do in game?

Ridley327

No trophies for FOB's right??

There's only one, but it's just for being able to invade another player's FOB (which requires you to have your own). None of the trophies/achievements require you to pay any additional money, but it does seem like it will got a lot faster if you do, which is immensely disappointing.

Auctopus

Holy shit. They've structured those prices to make people buy as many MB coins as possible.

I do have a full list of time it takes in Hours to build stuff, if you like I can post that?

One of them is scary at 120 hours.

wot

That can't be real seeing as developments don't continue whilst your console is off.

"Screw Konami" is putting it lightly.

Love how none of the 10/10 reviews would've mentioned this due to the monitored reviews at Konami.

To be fair to the reviewers, at least the ones that went to the bootcamp, they seemed pretty rushed by Konami to play it to the finish.

ironcreed

Banned
After completing the game, i can confirm motherbase stuff becomes a real fucking grind, FOB's would dramatically reduce the time it takes to get resources you need to build bases and even deploy into the battlefield with certain items.

It sounds like the typical free to play game where it gets progressively worse as you play. I doubt I will even finish the game if that is the case.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It would've been bad enough if they charged money aka DLC for a part of the game, but making the game require you to constantly pay real money just doesn't sit right with me.

There's a reason why some games costs $/€60 and some are f2p. Konami, you are doing it wrong.

The best part is they had a $40 demo for this game. They surely made extra cash with this release.

Tall Paul

Well this seriously puts a dampener on the excitement level for tommorow, cannot wait to play the game but putting this type of thing into any console or PC based game is just ridiculous, it only takes 1 to test the water and others will follow, so sad to see how parts of the industry are not happy enough with creating a story and a world that gamers will enjoy.

BearPawB

Banned
To be fair to the reviewers, at least the ones that went to the bootcamp, they seemed pretty rushed by Konami to play it to the finish.

then don't give the game a score. It is pretty simple. We shouldn't pity them that they decided to score a game knowing they hadn't fully experienced it.

Crosseyes

Banned
Wow. I really hope one day we'll get to see a documentary or something of just what happened between Kojima and Konami that's made them want to torpedo Kojima's game and legacy.

Holy shit. They've structured those prices to make people buy as many MB coins as possible.

wot

That can't be real seeing as developments don't continue whilst your console is off.

It is, Now I dont know if its in game hours or not, but it states:

Spoilered for name only:

Command (Lv. 4)
Time (Hours) 120

They shouldn't review under those circumstances to begin with. Just wait until the game is out and give it an honest review. Can any reviewer actually stand by their review of this game?

-Stryder-

Guys, why do you need more than one FOB?

All it's saying is if you wnat more than one base you have to purchase it. That's what I'm getting out of it.

Guymelef

So you can't earn MB coins in game and you have to spend ~$20 in order to buy another Base...?
I wonder what are the other uses for MB coins.

JackelZXA

Aren't you supposed to use Mother Base building stuff to get the secret final ending? How possible is that without using these microtransactions? Oh jeez oh no. Owwww.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm suddenly really glad I'm getting Mad Max instead. Fuck Konami

Yeah because WB has a great track record?

All these major publishers just expecting us to bend over. If I didn't get this game through my 970 purchase I'd cancel fast and buy used.

You know shits bad when Warner Bros looks good in comparison. At least Mad Max doesn't seem like it's going to microtransaction me to death

True...but hell, it may not even work!

So much for the bullshit Sean Eyestone said at E3 i.e "rest assured everything can be unlocked through playing the game... No pay to win" and the bullshit statement Konami made about gamespots "false" report that microtransactions are "simply accelerators"
FUCK KONAMI

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I do have a full list of time it takes in Hours to build stuff, if you like I can post that?

One of them is scary at 120 hours.
Holy shit, and that's 120 hours unpaused time right? This is going to seem like an overreaction to most, and maybe it is, but I'm seriously considering just not picking up my CE tomorrow, and not just because of this recent news.

then don't give the game a score. It is pretty simple. We shouldn't pity them that they decided to score a game knowing they hadn't fully experienced it.

I meant they played through the story missions alone and didn't play the extra content, by the sounds of it. It was rather carefully orchestrated the way in which Konami did it, I think. It's not like the core game is crap now or anything, but the extra content is definitely affected by this crap Konami has pulled.

Protome

Guys, why do you need more than one FOB?

All it's saying is if you wnat more than one base you have to purchase it. That's what I'm getting out of it.
It's basically like buying coin doublers in a F2P game. Its completely inessential unless you are trying to 100% it though.

LowParry

After reading all of this earlier in the day, I've already canceled my CE and guide and just sticking with the basic for the story. After that, fuck everything about this game. 10/10 my ass.

Top Bottom