• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

What are they going to do to MGO.

Ah, man.

I'm not sure if this is legitimate, but apparently this was leaked among the other spoilers on 4chan

CNdllEvVAAE4EzU.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This purely multiplayer, right? If it is, and we all get one free than we should be able to play. I'm guessing the additional ones coming at a real life cost is to offset the cost of running the servers?

You send your crew to do missions to gain more resources (yes in your SP game). Since you're limited to one "free" FOB, a max of two extra missions can be going on at once. More FOBs=more missions=quicker resource gathering.

This purely multiplayer, right? If it is, and we all get one free than we should be able to play. I'm guessing the additional ones coming at a real life cost is to offset the cost of running the servers?

Pretty sure the cash they made from GZ covered that. They also got PS+ and GwG money from all those downloads. No real need to fuck us this hard.

Prelude.

I hope no one ever believed that a company that put microtransaction in a retail game would design it so that the game wouldn't be affected by them. They don't put this shit it so that you can just avoid paying and enjoy the "full" game.

gdt

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats horse shit right there. I always assumed (as always promised) that you can use in game currency for this kind of stuff. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck this shit.

Vuze

No, it limits atleast one SP aspect too (sending out teams on missions like pointed out above with a screenshot).

I hope there'll be a 'workaround' on PC. No way I'm paying for shit like this.

ironcreed

Banned
A fuck ton, if the last screen we have of the FOB prices is still accurate.
FSFEkLy.jpg

FOBs also increase your revenue for single player.

You actually have to buy the water first before having to spend more in order to build on to it. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Fucking disgusting business practice. What gets me is how quiet they've been on it. The day before release and we found out via second-hand sources? Fuck you Konami.

jacobeid

Banned
After completing the game, i can confirm motherbase stuff becomes a real fucking grind, FOB's would dramatically reduce the time it takes to get resources you need to build bases and even deploy into the battlefield with certain items.

Yep. MB are legit grind, and lack of FOB will make this shitty mobile base builder where you wait days.

Fuck Konami.

Metal Gear + Grind = Do Not Fucking Want.

Man, I have a feeling that I'm going to play this game for a few dozen hours max and immediately jump ship once it starts to feel like a grind. Who wants that.

Any chance that down the road a mod fixes this shit on PC?

Whelp, time to drag it out:

CAjRVnzVIAA4WXD.jpg

One final fuck you. Let's hope there aren't any more.

¡HarlequinPanic!;177096368 said:
but this game is a perfect 10!
I've put 10 hours into this game and sending out two crews at a time is perfectly fine . I've unlocked majority of the weapons and items.

JackelZXA

How does that even work if you want to replay the game a second time? Replaying MGS games and starting fresh with low grade equipment is half of the fun. I even do it in Peace Walker, which was about building up a base. I don't understand. Why would a company want to hurt people for no reason?

After completing the game, i can confirm motherbase stuff becomes a real fucking grind, FOB's would dramatically reduce the time it takes to get resources you need to build bases and even deploy into the battlefield with certain items.

Yep. MB are legit grind, and lack of FOB will make this shitty mobile base builder where you wait days.

Fuck Konami.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
None of this effects the single player game, right?

FOBs massively increase your resource generation in single player, letting you unlock new technology and support faster. So, yes, it affects single player, and as a carrot for the macrotransactions they could throw in cool high level R&D/abilities with prohibitively high resource costs that may be a grind to unlock without multiple FOBs. Which is what always happens when this sort of model is present in a game.

Protome

This is bullshit, but having played a ton of the game with no online yet, completely unnecessary. You get so many resources from just playing the game that the FOB multiplier either must only be useful in late game or if you're terrible and fuck up every mission.

gogogow

It would've been bad enough if they charged money aka DLC for a part of the game, but making the game require you to constantly pay real money just doesn't sit right with me.

There's a reason why some games costs $/€60 and some are f2p. Konami, you are doing it wrong.

Boke1879

Man, I have a feeling that I'm going to play this game for a few dozen hours max and immediately jump ship once it starts to feel like a grind. Who wants that.

Thankfully the main game can be completed without doing any of this stuff. Already people have beaten this so it's possible and I truly wonder how many people were bothered.

But people wanting to max out everything will literally have to put in hundreds of hours into this.

I truly wonder if Konami will say anything

AEREC

FOB's are a part of singleplayer but with multiplayer elements (players can invade your FOB) and apparently more FOB's can speed up crafting in the singleplayer game.

One final fuck you. Let's hope there aren't any more.

Sounds like another Peace Walker situation, which is why I was worried when Mother Base stuff was returning.

"Screw Konami" is putting it lightly.

Love how none of the 10/10 reviews would've mentioned this due to the monitored reviews at Konami.

At least if people could have earned them in game I'd be pissed but not furious, this is absolutely disgusting that I can't have more than one FOB without giving Konami more fucking money after I gave them 60 dollars.

Fuck Konami fuck them for everything these past several months.

Boke1879

This is bullshit, but having played a ton of the game with no online yet, completely unnecessary. You get so many resources from just playing the game that the FOB multiplier either must only be useful in late game or if you're terrible and fuck up every mission.

I laughed at the last part

Kriken

I'm so glad microtransactions such as these are only affecting MP and will not in any way hinder the SP whatsoever
/s

Draper

I mean, they must see that the most successful games as of late have been pretty pro-consumer.

And yet, they're all like, fuck that noise, we're going balls to wall.

Fucking disgusting business practice. What gets me is how quiet they've been on it. The day before release and we found out via second-hand sources? Fuck you Konami.

This is part of the reason why I don't buy AAA releases day-one anymore. I had been considering getting MGSV on release, now I'm reminded why I should wait and see a bit.

Top Bottom