• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Discusses Why FFXIV Isn't on Xbox (Contradictions?)

Phil Spencer said:
"It's business," he said, adding he couldn't speak too candidly about the matter. "As I've grow in this role, and I've tried to learn the third-party exclusivity thing - and you see us doing less of it now - [I've found] it's not something I'm a huge fan of."

Phil Spencer said:
"Different kind of deals happen, and I know that's part of this busienss, and maybe it'll be my failing in the end," he says, laughing. "But it's not something I specifically embrace with any deal that's out there, whether it's something else. It's just not something I can explicitly talk to."

Source IGN

But then we have these comments from game director at Square Enix last year and this year:

Naoki Yoshida said:
"The policy has not changed on Microsoft's side," he revealed. "The main reason from our side is that I don't want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more. For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I'm playing the Xbox version - but we're not able to join the same game servers. That is just... I just don't like the idea. I disagree with it."

"To be frankly honest with you, there are now so many mobile devices, smart phones, everything -- why would you ever just stick to one platform from the hardware aspect? Just -- make it open to everyone? That's my opinion."

Source IGN

So who is lying here?
Why did Phil Spencer said that knowing these articles were years old?

Is Honest Phil Lying?

Edit: Mystery Solved

Kagari said:
AFAIK 14 has no exclusivity deal as stated by Yoshida several times before. MS's cross platform play policy is what's stopping the release as Yoshida wants all platforms to play together.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AFAIK 14 has no exclusivity deal as stated by Yoshida several times before. MS's cross platform play policy is what's stopping the release as Yoshida wants all platforms to play together.

Yeah just read this and I'm curious what's going on with this as well.

As far as I can tell there's been no mention of a deal with Sony and Yoshida has always said he wants the game on XB1. Very strange indeed.

Edit: I don't think Phil is lying but I think there's some kind of miscommunication or crossed wires going on here.

Phil didn't really say too much there, did he?

It's pretty clear the cross platform play policy Microsoft has is real, right? That's got to be it

Phil is lying. There's a reason there aren't any PS4/Xbox One cross-platform games, and it isn't coincidence.

If there were a deal in place, SE would simply say "FF XIV is exclusive to the Playstation/PC and we have no plans to bring it to any other platforms at this time", just like every other game.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Correct. Microsoft at fault here.

SE would prefer to bring it to multiple platforms

Xbox live has always been about that walled garden approach while PSN is a bit more hands free. No reason to not believe Yoshida on this one

Aselith

What does that dude mean about game servers? PS4 and PC are on the same servers. Or can PS4 and Xbox not exist on the same servers as a matter of policy?

Phil is lying. There's a reason there aren't any PS4/Xbox One cross-platform games, and it isn't coincidence.

If there were a deal in place, SE would simply say "FF XIV is exclusive to the Playstation/PC and we have no plans to bring it to any other platforms at this time", just like every other game.

Makes sense, which makes me wonder what's going to happen with Rocket League since they have cross-platform play but the devs have stated they want to make a Xbox One version.

What does that dude mean about game servers? PS4 and PC are on the same servers. Or can PS4 and Xbox not exist on the same servers as a matter of policy?

Microsoft doesn't want to play nice with everyone else.

Makes sense, which makes me wonder what's going to happen with Rocket League since they have cross-platform play but the devs have stated the want to make a Xbox One version.

Did they say this? I thought they just said "other platforms." They recently announced a SteamOS/Linux version after saying that.

Spencer continues to say what people want to hear.

He's a great PR guy. Microsoft picked the right dude for the job, seeing how they don't really intend to listen to gamers in the long run.

wmlk

anigif_enhanced-6862-1442302259-11.gif

Xbox games can traditionally only play on Xbox servers and they don't allow crossplay with other platforms.

I suspect this played a role in Capcoms SF5 deal as well. It would be very beneficial to MS to find a way to make it work.

Toki767

It's pretty clear who's telling the truth here. Just like Phil's quote about how install base plays no part in deals.

Xbox games can traditionally only play on Xbox servers and they don't allow crossplay with other platforms.

I suspect this played a role in Capcoms SF5 deal as well. It would be very beneficial to MS to find a way to make it work.

IIRC, when Capcom approached Sony about SFV, they discussed having it on the Xbox One. And MS said no.

The PC was the work around.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Phil just comes off as slimy here IMO

It's just PR.

A lot of people here seem to have some weird fantasy that everything a CEO/Head says or does is in the best interests of consumers and that they truly care about consumers and will champion them. Or that everything they say is correct and tje real reason. The reality is they'll just say what you want to hear whilst doing what is best for the business.

Of course some heads are a lot more transparent about that whilst others are not.

That goes for all companies. Not just Microsoft.

Just like how other execs from other companies will try and spin things if they have to. E.g Sony with PS Vital right now.

VariantX

Yeah, would make no sense on SE's end to have the communities separate, as the game as whole benefits with having the player base unified so the players in game have more people to do ingame activities with. Its just simpler for everyone involved on the user side I would guess.

Ravidrath

They allowed it for XI, but that's because they really wanted to get on Square's good side.

As I understand it, they also sort of used PlayOnline as a fig leaf to cover the fact that you weren't really using Xbox Live any more and were connecting to a different service, one that could connect to other platforms.

Fitts

What was up with Final Fantasy XI? Why were Xbox 360 owners able to play with PS2/PC?

EDIT:

They allowed it for XI, but that's because they really wanted to get on Square's good side.

As I understand it, they also sort of used PlayOnline as a fig leaf to cover the fact that you weren't really using Xbox Live any more and were connecting to a different service, one that could connect to other platforms.

Answered just as I posted. Thanks.

Jachaos

We already knew it was the cross-platform play policy. Just like War Thunder. Microsoft will not budge on that. If I remember correctly, they didn't even budge when Bungie asked them for Destiny to let XBO players play with PS4 players.

It's just PR.

A lot of people here seem to have some weird fantasy that everything a CEO/Head says or does is in the best interests of consumers and that they truly care about consumers and will champion them. Or that everything they say is correct and tje real reason. The reality is they'll just say what you want to hear whilst doing what is best for the business.

Of course some heads are a lot more transparent about that whilst others are not.

That goes for all companies. Not just Microsoft.
Such misdirection.

When you have Nintendo just doin' their thing and Sony doin' their thing without the platitudes and half-truths, surely you can see how some might be turned off by Phil's PR speak. It goes beyond "some heads are a lot more transparent than others".

Microsoft had the opportunity after Mattrick to more-or-less come clean. Instead, they pretended to come clean while still spouting BS.

Sydle

Why does that interview seem like it's missing something? And why didn't she bring up Yoshida's comments from last year if she had him answering questions?

It would be really interesting to see cross-platform multi-player become more widespread.

Offers some strong benefits like a more active userbase as it's all one pool but probably a lot of potential issues if it's hard to make them work together/in unison (maybe not though, I'm not super familiar with how the servers would have to operate)

Top Bottom