• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Discusses Why FFXIV Isn't on Xbox (Contradictions?)

Snorlocs

Such misdirection.

When you have Nintendo just doin' their thing and Sony doin' their thing without the platitudes and half-truths, surely you can see how some might be turned off by Phil's PR speak. It goes beyond "some heads are a lot more transparent than others".

Microsoft had the opportunity after Mattrick to more-or-less come clean. Instead, they pretended to come clean while still spouting BS.

Neither Sony nor Nintendo get shit on on a regular basis for even breathing the wrong way. Microsoft desperately need the PR. They are just not doing a good job of it.

I get the impression Phil doesnt actually know the details around why that game isnt on Xbox (which Square have made clear numerous times) and he just tried to give the boiler plate exclusivity answer.

Neither Sony nor Nintendo get shit on on a regular basis for even breathing the wrong way. Microsoft desperately need the PR. They are just not doing a good job of it.

Nintendo got shit on for the state of Star Fox U, Devil's Third, and an awful E3 Direct. Sony got shit on for their dumb advert a few months back, not having enough exclusives for the holidays, and also trying to hide the fact that the Vita was a legacy system far after they decided it was so.

MS has the issue of constantly being in the limelight for continuous problems. Parity clause, cross platform gameplay, third party support issues/stance on that, and more.

benzy

wtf%20(2).gif

Dunno how I missed it all these years...

statham

Spencer continues to say what people want to hear.

He's a great PR guy. Microsoft picked the right dude for the job, seeing how they don't really intend to listen to gamers in the long run.

you haven't followed MS at all, with what they changed. This is why I don't like posting to this site, stupid shit like this,.

Nintendo and Sony both got shit on regularly last-gen for their decisions. Nintendo doesn't get "shit on" so much this gen because the Wii U is essentially a Gamecube 2.0 in terms of available games and most hardcore gamers and journalists seem to like that compared to the Wii's "casual" direction.

Phil doesn't have to agree to these interviews. He is participating with the intention of informing gamers (and especially his console's userbase). It is entirely voluntary, yet he continues to spout BS.

I'd rather have him come out and state what we already know: tying Microsoft's online ecosystem to cross-platform games would diminish Microsoft's goals for XBL. It can still be "PR speak" and be truthful. I think most people would be fine with something like "it's because Microsoft does not want to diminish the expected quality for Xbox Live subscribers by tying it to an online service that doesn't have the same features our fans have come to expect" or whatever. Instead, he tries misdirection.

you haven't followed MS at all, with what they changed. This is why I don't like posting to this site, stupid shit like this,.
I've actually followed them very very closely, with the intention and hope that one day they'll get their act together and I can confidently purchase their gaming system.

It seems that you and I simply have different standards. I'm glad that you are pleased with Microsoft's changes so far. Good on you. I still have to see more from them before I'm convinced, and their behavior in the meanwhile (on issues like the OT) are not helping their case.

Their pr always comes off as slimy, because honestly, their pr used to be straight up slimy. (scroogle, dissing apple, greenburg dissing ps3 etc)

Insulting ppls intelligence isn't helping the situation

Snorlocs

Nintendo got shit on for the state of Star Fox U, Devil's Third, and an awful E3 Direct. Sony got shit on for their dumb advert a few months back, not having enough exclusives for the holidays, and also trying to hide the fact that the Vita was a legacy system far after they decided it was so.

MS has the issue of constantly being in the limelight for continuous problems. Parity clause, cross platform gameplay, third party support issues/stance on that, and more.

Thats what I said though. MS gets shit on on a regular basis. Never said Sony or Nintendo got off scott free. They just don't fuck up as much. As far as PR goes Microsoft actually need to placate people far more than Sony and marginally more than Nintendo. It just so happens to be that most times when they try it just causes more problems

prwxv3

Phill better be coming up with good answers to questions about a huge number of Japanese games skipping xbone. Sony exclusive partnerships for every game will not cut it.

SkyOdin

Was ffxi cross platform for 360? Or just playing w 360 players only?

I believe it was cross platform, since Microsoft made a special exception to its rules for it. This same exception let it be multiplayer without an Xbox Live Gold account. These exceptions were not made for Final Fantasy XIV as of yet. It is worth noting that not all of FFXI's expansions were released on the Xbox 360, I believe. Support for the 360 was relatively short-lived.

Thats what I said though. MS gets shit on on a regular basis. Never said Sony or Nintendo got off scott free. They just don't fuck up as much. As far as PR goes Microsoft actually need to placate people far more than Sony and marginally more than Nintendo. It just so happens to be that most times when they try it just causes more problems

It helps that Sony/Nintendo's head-honchos don't talk as much as Phil Spencer. (or tweet)

Shu Yoshida is rarely a focal point when it comes to "business-y stuff of Sony's side" and he's able to evade being asked questions about "deals", and people like Andrew House/Shawn Layden/Jim Ryan does like 5 interviews a year.

Fat4all

Banned
This is probably what will keep Rocket League off of Xbox One as well unfortunately.

The devs of RL said they were wanting to bring it to other platforms, They'd probably be willing to work with Microsoft on closed online servers for an Xbox One version.

I don't think this is indicative of MS not changing. Every company has their issues, and nobody is clean.

That said, this is one of them that just stands out, and can be lessened by some good ol' honesty.

Did you just respond to the same quote twice over the span of 20 mins?

I mean, share what you are really thinking staham.

statham
be hot
be naughty
be Xbox

(Today, 03:51 AM)

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah, Spencer and co. need to learn when to come clean or not come at all. The parity clause is something they continuously pour gas on, and it just blows up in their face.

Phill better be coming up with good answers to questions about a huge number of Japanese games skipping xbone. Sony exclusive partnerships for every game will not cut it.

What do they need to answer that for? Japan simply isn't interested in the Xbox One from the get go, and it's a waste of time to start trying to swing them over now.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that's how it stands, and it's better they don't talk about it.

Shenmue

Banned
Isn't DraQue X also coming to PS4? I mean Nintendo, PC and Playstation people will be playing together. Again no Xbox One announcement.

Snorlocs

It helps that Sony/Nintendo's head-honchos don't talk as much as Phil Spencer. (or tweet)

Shu Yoshida is rarely a focal point when it comes to "business-y stuff of Sony's side" and he's able to evade being asked questions about "deals", and people like Andrew House/Shawn Layden/Jim Ryan does like 5 interviews a year.

Yes but who else from team xbox commands the charisma of the xboss? Sony and Ninty head hochos don't have to do any talking. They aren't the ones trying to drag their reputation out of the gutters.

prwxv3

I don't think this is indicative of MS not changing. Every company has their issues, and nobody is clean.

That said, this is one of them that just stands out, and can be lessened by some good ol' honesty.

statham
be hot
be naughty
be Xbox

(Today, 03:51 AM)

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah, Spencer and co. need to learn when to come clean or not come at all. The parity clause is something they continuously pour gas on, and it just blows up in their face.

What do they need to answer that for? Japan simply isn't interested in the Xbox One from the get go, and it's a waste of time to start trying to swing them over now.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that's how it stands, and it's better they don't talk about it.

Journos are going to start asking about it eventually.

Haha, no way.

I am sure someone under him at Xbox knows exactly whats up. Just Phil doesn't know and he just gave whatever answer first popped into his head instead of just saying he didn't know and moving on.

Dude isnt going to have intimate details of every 3rd party talk ever made.

Plus looking at Japanese xbox support dry up since he has took over and I get the impression he doesnt give a damn anyway.

Here is a situation where seemingly the truth of the matter is that Microsoft just doesn't want overlapping game environments between PS4 and XB1 (Wouldn't be surprised to hear Sony doesn't want that either). But instead of saying that (which wouldn't sound too good obviously) he says something like "I don't know man, third party exclusives, you know? Maybe I'm crazy but I don't want any part of it, that ain't me".

I think since Phil took over he has taken it upon himself to always say what 'core' gamers want to hear, which I don't fault him for since those are the people they are trying to win back.

Don't think it is anything too devious, but he obviously knows what 'we' don't want to hear, and will avoid saying anything at all costs. RoTR stuff is a perfect example, read like the interviewer was pulling teeth when trying to get a statement out of him.

VinFTW

Did someone in this thread really just say Sony or Nintendo don't get shit on around here?

LMAO...

These shitty business practices and PR mishaps need to stop from all companies.

He was always a slimy person imo. I found him smug looking the first time he went on stage.

Jesus, are you guys for real? Going so far as calling a person slimy for doing PR? Christ, that's embarrassing.

I really think he inherited a mess and for the most part help what was a potentially sinking ship afloat (imagine if they only had the $500 kinect model). I say that but have no idea what he actually did behind the scenes and what was other reactions within the company.

With that said, I never gave him much of a second thought until it was pointed out his wording regarding parity for indie developers. I mean, if you have a crap policy, just don't respond to those questions. He comes across as doublespeaking because he opts into answering things that don't have good answers. Either stand by them or just refuse to answer them or... change them.

ZhugeEX

Banned
These shitty business practices and PR mishaps need to stop from all companies.

Agreed. I've seen it so many times where an exec from Sony for example will deliver a response that is just blatent PR or damage control and people eat it up and assume what they're saying is correct.

In the case of this thread, this again Is just a pre prepared response to skirt around the actual issue itslef and without the previous comments from SE a lot of people would just take this as it is.

Once again. Execs will do what is best for the business and outline the benefits that they want consumers to hear or think that consumers will like. People need to stop idolising execs as always being right/doing right.

Snorlocs

If Phil had just said "It goes against our policy" then....well....then they would get the heat because of said policy. *shrug* They need to be clearer on why they do things.

Guymelef

They are clearly focusing on first party games, otherwise would be treat users like second class people.

Top Bottom