• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seens 2016 will be great for JRPG fans

I mean, look at this:

Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts II.8
Nier 2
Final Fantasy XV
Star Ocean V
Project Setsuna
Worlds of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Explorers
Persona 5
SMTIV Final
Dark Souls 3
Bravely Second
Scalebound

What was the last year we had a line up of JRPGs as good as this one? It's been a long time.

Did I just jinxed 2016 though?

Final Fantasy XV delay joke is old. Please don't post it.

Persona 5 is all I need tbh. Everything else is a bonus. And this looks like a fat, juicy and tasty bonus.

Effect

Don't forget the following.

Bravely Second
Fire Emblem Fates
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Outside of Japan Xenoblade Chronicles X might as well be considered a 2016 game. That's when people will likely be playing the bulk of it even if they pick it up on the 4th of December this year due to the game being so big.

You forgot:

Shin Megami Tensei IV Final

western releases:
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Fire Emblem Fates
SMT x FE
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Bravely Second

Japanese releases:
Digimon World -next Order-
Dragon Quest XI

And probably lots more.

It's going to be an insane year.

AmuroChan

The first three on the list are just ports of older games. So I don't really count them, but Persona 5 and FFXV alone should make most JRPG fans happy.

Don't forget the following.

Bravely Second
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Outside of Japan Xenoblade Chronicles X might as well be considered a 2016 game. That's when people will likely be playing the bulk of it even if they pick it up on the 4th of December this year due to the game being so big.

Bravely Second is not confirmed for the West yet, but I hope it will be next year.

Bolivar687

Banned
Wake me up when DQXI gets localized, or a real remake of DQVIII. Years late 3DS ports aren't doing it for me and everytime Tabata opens his mouth I get less excited about FFXV.

I only care about Nier 2 and SO 5.

But I care about Nier 2 enough to still call it a great year!

Has there been a reason shown to care about Star Ocean 5 or are you hoping? I haven't really been keeping tabs on the news, but the last star ocean game I enjoyed was the psx one, which is...about 15 years old I think.

Effect

The first three on the list are just ports of older games. So I don't really count them, but Persona 5 and FFXV alone should make most JRPG fans happy.

I think it's fair to include them. 2016 is when they're released to the rest of the world. Only Japan would have been able to play them previously.

Andrefpvs

Technically, Kingdom Hearts II.8 is not just ports of older games. It also includes a mini KH3 Prologue/BbS Sequel hybrid, as well as whatever the hell χ Back Cover is.

But yeah, 2016 will be insane.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I only care about Nier 2 and SO 5.

But I care about Nier 2 enough to still call it a great year!

If your getting a PS4 for it, then you'll eventually care about the rest, trust me :p

Has there been a reason shown to care about Star Ocean 5 or are you hoping? I haven't really been keeping tabs on the news, but the last star ocean game I enjoyed was the psx one, which is...about 15 years old I think.

Star Ocean 5 is coming along very nicely.

I mean, look at this:

Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts II.8
Nier 2
Final Fantasy XV
Star Ocean V
Project Setsuna
Worlds of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Explorers
Persona 5
SMTIV Final
Dark Souls 3

What was the last year we had a line up of JRPGs as good as this one? It's been a long time.

Did I just jinxed 2016 though?
What I will be getting next year. Isn't there a solid chance of DQXI coming out Q4 2016 on the west?

I count 2.8 just because 2/3 of the content in the collection will be completely brand new on Unreal Engine 4.

Persona 5
Zero Escape 3
Danganronpa 3
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest XI
Gravity Rush Remastered
Gravity Rush 2
Fire Emblem Fates
Final Fantasy XV

I think it will be a good year for me!
if P5 gets delayed again my year is instantly ruined again though

Effect

What I will be getting next year. Isn't there a solid chance of DQXI coming out Q4 2016 on the west?

Q4 as in being the first three months of 2017? Maybe. I don't see that releasing in the west before that. The Japanese release is likely the only release it will see in 2016 proper.

Durante

If your getting a PS4 for it, then you'll eventually care about the rest, trust me:p
No, why would I? FFXV looks like the exact opposite of what I want in almost every respect, I don't care for remakes, and Persona 5 seems to be more of P3 and P4 which I consider the most overrated JRPGs on GAF :p

I do care deeply about Dark Souls 3, but that's hardly a JRPG.

Atelier Sophie
Now that's something I can rally behind.

Your list is missing Atelier Sophie, Ys Next, Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2.

All I want is for Atlus to give me Etrian Odyssey V, and hopefully Nier 2 actually gets released next year, I bought a PS4 for that game.

Want pretty much everything from that list besides Dark Souls 3. Not totally sold on World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Explorers yet though. And add Bravely Second to that list.

But yeah, 2016 is going to be amazing. Persona 5 is the one Im the most excited about, with Star Ocean a close second. Never played DQ 7 and 8 so that's going to be fun.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Atelier Sophie

Tales of Berseria

Nights of Azure

Fire Emblem FE

Ys 8

are all missing OP

Next year is definitely a banner year for Japanese games in general, and RPGs in particular.

I'm trying to save all of the monies for Nier 2, Persona 5, FF Explorers, the DQ games, ZE3......but there are so many other games too.

AmuroChan

I think it's fair to include them. 2016 is when they're released to the rest of the world. Only Japan would have been able to play them previously.

I meant that they're not brand new games. If you're a semi-hardcore JRPG fan, you've probably already played DQVII on PS1, DQVIII on PS2, and KH on 3DS/PSP. Anyway, I'm just saying that I wouldn't include them for me personally. People who haven't played the originals should totally check those games out.

I somehow doubt Nier Automata will be 2016.

Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII

Kingdom Hearts II.8
Nier 2
Final Fantasy XV
Star Ocean V
Project Setsuna
Worlds of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Explorers
Persona 5
SMTIV Final*
Dark Souls 3