• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seens 2016 will be great for JRPG fans

Stuart444

You forgot:

Shin Megami Tensei IV Final

western releases:
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Fire Emblem Fates
SMT x FE
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Bravely Second

Japanese releases:
Digimon World -next Order-
Dragon Quest XI

And probably lots more.

It's going to be an insane year.

Glad to see someone mention it :D <3

But yeah, next year is a great year for JRPG fans :D

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No, why would I? FFXV looks like the exact opposite of what I want in almost every respect, I don't care for remakes, and Persona 5 seems to be more of P3 and P4 which I consider the most overrated JRPGs on GAF :p

I do care deeply about Dark Souls 3, but that's hardly a JRPG.

Now that's something I can rally behind.

Yeah, let's not go through that again.

I'll just say you have some very specific tastes to not enjoy a lot of the games on offer, there's a lot of quality there

original.jpg

You goddamn right.

RK128

2016 is making me happy that I own a 2DS & Vita alongside being a nice reminder why I want a PS4; soo many great JP games coming out to play next year XD!

For my 2DS I'm getting the two Dragon Quest games, FF Explorers and might consider picking up FE Fates (impressed with Nintendo; getting most of the game isn't as expensive as I was expecting with both games costing 60 bucks together).

My Vita is going to be VERY busy with Digimon Cyber Slueth, God Eater 2 and Resurrection (please get localized), SAO Hollow Realization, SAO Lost Song (will likely not beat it this year) and the Neptuina spin offs. Plus Zero Escape 3 and catching up with the entire of the Dangronmpa series too XD!

PS4 is going to be amazing if Nier 2 comes out next year; if it does.....I really think it might be my GOTY (next to Ratchet PS4 and if Uncharted 4 really impresses me). Going to get KH2.8 HD, Persona 5 and the other Square/Bamco RPG's as well :D. Indifferent to Gravity Rush (both remastered and 2) for reasons.

DNAbro

Yup. Too many games to choose from.

Also want to make mention of an indie game called Omori coming out next year. Earthbound styled and is looking good. Technically not a JRPG cause not from Japan but it's worth noting.

I meant that they're not brand new games. If you're a semi-hardcore JRPG fan, you've probably already played DQVII on PS1, DQVIII on PS2, and KH on 3DS/PSP. Anyway, I'm just saying that I wouldn't include them for me personally. People who haven't played the originals should totally check those games out.

DQ7 is a remake though. The original game was heavily flawed and I hear the remake is much better so it's practically a new game.

Now that's something I can rally behind.

Now that I don't understand. I like Atelier games too but they release a new one every other month it feels like and they're all about the same whereas Persona 5 looks like it could be a huge improvement over past games.

RK128

3DS 2016 line up is pretty good.

Yep :).

-Dragon Quest VII
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Final Fantasy Explorers
-Monster Hunter titles (likely to come out in the summer)
-Yo-Kai Watch 2 and Busters (likely to be Fall 2016 releases if localized)
-FE: Fates
-Atlus Titles (SMTIV: Final)
-Pokemon Z or ZY/ZX

Packed with titles to play on 3DS next year :D!

Durante

I'll just say you have some very specific tastes
I certainly won't deny that. It sort of comes with the territory of having played literally hundreds of games in a genre.

It's still silly for you to tell me which games I will care about though.

Inuhanyou

That sort of comes with the territory of having played literally hundreds of games in a genre.

Eh, that's fair enough

It's still silly for you to tell me which games I will care about though.

Its not that deep, if you have the console, there are bound to be games you find out you like and will want to buy even if you were initially disinterested. It aint that serious to be acting so condescending

Durante

Its not that deep, if you have the console, there are bound to be games you find out you like and will want to buy even if you were initially disinterested. It aint that serious to be acting so condescending
Nope, doesn't work like that for me. Also, I'm not being condescending, just factual.

Bladenic

Tons that I want, especially for 3DS. Hopefully Yo-Kai Watch 2 comes out in the West next year. YK3 will also be out in Japan in 2016.

Here's my list:

Must haves:
Persona 5
Genei Ibun Roku #FE
DQ7
Trails of Cold Steel 1 and/or 2
Bravely Second
Stranger of Sword City

If they get announced for 2016:
Etrian Odyssey V
Ys 8

Lime

2016 may have tri-ace's Exist Archive as well, the spiritual successor to Valkyrie Profile.

2018 will have Indivisible, provided it gets funded (it deserves a mention)

flohen95

Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy XV
Star Ocean V
Project Setsuna
Worlds of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Explorers
Persona 5
SMTIV Final
Bravely Second

Fire Emblem Fates
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Genei Ibunroku #FE
Trails of Cold Steel 2

Exist Archive
Atelier Sophie
Megadimension Neptunia
Stranger of Sword City
Trillion God of Destruction

Looking forward to all of these (the ones I highlighted more than the others) as well as Trails of Cold Steel 1 and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, which technically release this year (same as Xenoblade) but whatever.

My wallet will be ruined

18-Volt

There are some great DRPG's coming to Japan, hopefully all will be localized: Death Under the Labyrinth, Operation Babel, Demon Gaze II, Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain, Ray Gigant and of course, eventual Etrian Odyssey V. I'll get every one of them.

SRPG genre too getting a revival; Stella Glow is coming out next week but Luminous Arc Infinity and Utawarerumono also waiting for localizations. God Wars is the most interesting one among them.

Monster collecting is another subgenre that will shine in 2016: 2 Digimon games, SMT4 Final, Yokai Watch 2 and of course best among them: Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3.

RK128

Tons that I want, especially for 3DS. Hopefully Yo-Kai Watch 2 comes out in the West next year. YK3 will also be out in Japan in 2016.

I have a feeling that Yo-Kai Watch 2 and Busters will be announced early 2016 at a Nintendo Direct; state how successful the first game did and announce both are coming late Summer 2016.

Then YK3 will be a NX/3DS cross-gen game in the west (or Nintendo will only release the NX version in the west).

RK128

Wonder when the Final Fantasy XII remaster is going to be announced and if that'll be 2016 as well.

Considering the Dragon Quest games (VII and VIII) got 'leaked' by the creator during the summer, I could see that being the case again for FFXII HD (as that was also leaked by accident).

My bet is that Square will either announced that at the PSX or during E3 2016 for PS4 and Vita.

Day1 Buys for me

Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts II.8
Nier 2
Final Fantasy XV
Star Ocean V
Project Setsuna
Persona 5
Dark Souls 3

I'm so hyped

Inuhanyou

On topic, my list is

Digimon CyberSleuth
Persona 5
Nier
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Star Ocean 5
World of Final Fantasy
Nights of Azure
Berseria
Atelier
Ys8?

And on Vita...

SaGA
Tokyo Zanadu
Danganronpa 3...?

There's just too much to count right now

Redwing199

Neo Member
A great year indeed. Definitely picking up DQ VII, DQ VIII, Bravely Second, and Final Fantasy Explorers. The 3DS will be seeing some use again!

Also will be looking more into Star Ocean V and World of Final Fantasy. Hoping for a DQXI release in 2016 for the West but that might be wishful thinking right now.

OnADock

Banned
Hate to be nitpicky, but Dark Souls isn't an JRPG. Just because a game is mage in Japan doesn't mean it's a JRPG. JRPG is a genre not an actual regional designation.

Wagram

Despite SE saying Nier 2 is 2016 I don't believe them. If it hits 2016 then it's going to be an incredibly short game.

I'll be picking up Nights of Azure as well. It looks weird.

Zeta Oni

Scalebound just can't come out soon enough.

Like, a JRPG made by Platinum has been a dream of mine since Bayonetta. Not often I get hyped like I am for that particular game.

That Final Fantasy ARPG that was announced on the direct yesterday looks very good.

And if FFXV releases during 2016, that will be a day one as well.

Demonfang

Banned
My JRPG list (from UK):
- persona 5
- stella glow
- legend of legacy
- kingdom hearts 2.8
- bravely second
- final fantasy xv
- world of final fantasy
- star ocean 5
- nights of azure
- dragon quest vii
- dragon quest viii
- trails in cold steel
- trails in cold steel II
- Yokai watch
- scalebound
- nier 2
- exist archive (?)
- #FE
- Setsuna
- digimon cyber sleuth

I'm probably forgetting some. Mad packed but jrpgs are dead right?

Top Bottom