• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

A lot of people missed out on the "Best Shooter" award announcement since the announcer said "Splatoon also wins 'best multiplayer'" when it received its award for Best Multiplayer game of the year.
https://twitter.com/nintendouk/status/672806841492111360
Didnt see a thread on this, it's not listed on the OT by Shinobi, and I saw a lot of confusion due to the blooper that happened during the live show but lock if old/unnecessary
The nominees were:
Best Multiplayer:
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Destiny: TTK
Halo 5
Rocket League
Splatoon

Best Shooter
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Destiny: The Taken King
Halo 5
Splatoon
Star Wars Battlefront
The awards don't mean too much, but it's nice to see the game get some recognition. What do you guys think?

MrBadger

Best multiplayer I can see, but I'm impressed it won best shooter as well. It does make me happy to see Splatoon succeed considering how niche I thought it looked at its announcement, and what system it was on.

Eolz

I think it's really nice and refreshing that it was recognized as such, both in terms of new ip, innovation, and gameplay high/low points.
Hope this pushes a bit the industry and Nintendo :)

tolkir

Please explain..
I literally laughed and turn the awards off when this was announced.

15%2B-%2B1

It's probably a hard choice and I feel rocket league is too light on content and modes to be fair.

Rainbow six is the best mp game this year but probably too late in the year.

I'm pk with the choice. Just feel a of halo shouldn't be there.

I guess with the amount of content cod is ok even though I'm not a fan, it would be there no matter how good it is

Jito

Banned
I'd have given it to Rocket League, it's a lot more fresh than all those other multiplayer shooters. Props to Splatoon though, shows Nintendo can break out of the box and make interesting games other than Mario and Zelda.

Please explain..

Splatoon is truly a revolution in shooters - it's easy to pick up and play, it has AMAZING controls, you have a lot of options in regards to weapons and mobility, and it's just downright fun.

It deserved the award tonight because it did something the shooter genre hasn't focused on in years - innovation.

gugeifer

Please explain..

It's a really fun game? Well-thought and balanced, regularly updated for free with weapons and levels, very good-looking, with good music, interesting style and it's very very fresh.

Mesoian

Please explain..

You should play Splatoon.

It's super good. I also think it's the best shooter of the year and it's the only game that has justified motion controls in a shooter (for me, apparently KZ:SF had okay motion controls).

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Do people think Splatoon turned out poorly? It's really really good.
The drip feeding for On Disc DLC was trash and artificially capping the online community for "reasons" until X amount of players reached X Level/Milestone was uncalled for.It was a fun game while I played it at my nephew's house buy I will never buy it because it's on a system I refuse to buy again.

Never played it, idk.

My favorite shooter is Battlefront, haven't had this much fun with a shooter since BFBC2. It's been a long time.

5amshift

Banned
It's a good game and a pretty original new IP. What's to explain? What do you think should have won?

I've played the game numerous times and couldn't find a sense of what they were looking at when voting. How seriously dynamic is the game? Tons of team modes? I'm not even a fan of Destiny, but I feel like that should've won with how upgrades and customization go into the game.

Guess I'm wrong

Mael

It's funny it's probably the game I was the most hyped for since they announced it and the only 1 I didn't get in the end.
Like I though SMM would be dull and Yoshi would be a soul less Epic Yarn affair.
In the end I have both and I don't have splatoon...
So weird.

I think you could make a strong argument for Splatoon winning best shooter since it has some pretty unique mechanics, and even best multiplayer, though to a lesser degree, in my opinion. I personally think Rocket League should've taken best multiplayer, but Splatoon winning was cool too. I've only played a few hours of it at a friend's place, but it was very fun. It just didn't grab me and pull me in like Rocket League.

Please explain..
It has some of the most unique and interesting shooting gameplay this decade. The ink is fantastically integrated into all the games mechanics: traversal, reloading, stealth, and damaging enemies. Not to mention giving a unique twist to game modes with the 'expanding turf' concept. There's a surprisingly high skill ceiling as well.

I haven't played splatoon yet other then the beta test play or whatever that was (I refuse to pay 60$ for a multiplayer only title, Nintendo refuses to drop there prices) but halo 5 might be the best multiplayer game I've ever played so either splatoon is GOAT (which I doubt based on my limited playtime) or halo got robbed.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Well deserved. It's a true shooter with very addictive gameplay.

Rodin

Both absolutely deserved, it's the most fun i've had with an online shooter since Quake III Arena. Art, music, characters etc. are all amazing and gameplay/level design is ink... ahem, incredible to say the least. Now that they added a few modes and arenas the game truly has a lot to offer, i poured like 100 hours into it (easily my most played Wii U game) so i can't recommend it enough to everyone with the console, especially since it's only 40€ in Europe (totally worth even the US price of 60$ now). Heck, buying the console for it is probably worth it, especially if you like other Wii U games.

Mesoian

The drip feeding for On Disc DLC was trash and artificially capping the online community for "reasons" until X amount of players reached X Level/Milestone was uncalled for.It was a fun game while I played it at my nephew's house buy I will never buy it because it's on a system I refuse to buy again.

I mean...okay. I'm glad you liked the game then.

I've played the game numerous times and couldn't find a sense of what they were looking at when voting. How seriously dynamic is the game? Tons of team modes? I'm not even a fan of Destiny, but I feel like that should've won with how upgrades and customization go into the game.

Guess I'm wrong

You might not like shooters.

And that's okay.

I haven't played splatoon yet other then the beta test play or whatever that was (I refuse to pay 60$ for a multiplayer only title, Nintendo refuses to drop there prices) but halo 5 might be the best multiplayer game I've ever played so either splatoon is GOAT (which I doubt based on my limited playtime) or halo got robbed.

Splatoon has a single player campaign (With what will probably be the best final boss of the year)

MicH

I'm honestly shocked it won best shooter, but I'm so happy it did. Really deserved it, Splatoon is an incredibly fun game!

Splatoon has a very good single player campaign

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Who knew a Nintendo shooter would have the most efficient server/matchmaking of 2015?
Still boggles my mind how smooth it is, especially after how Rainbow's alphas/betas went and how busted BF4 and MCC were out the gate - and obviously they've all had like a decade of experience and severwork.

Top Bottom