• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

15%2B-%2B1

sdjkfhsjkdfh NO

Rodelero

Best shooter, yeah, probably. Best multiplayer game? Surely not. It's a game with too many flaws. The map/mode rotation, the matchmaking which pairs UK players with Japanese players, the netcode which deals with really laggy players terribly, the low amount of content for a shooter... However fun Splatoon is (and I did enjoy playing it a great deal for a month or so), Rocket League deserves it more.

It's just as fresh as Splatoon, but it doesn't falter in the same ways. This is a game which at launch provided: Dedicated servers, PCPS4 cross play, private matches, level playing field ranked play, bots, online splitscreen and brilliant customisation options. They've added several free content updates (and are continuing to), and have also absolutely nailed the DLC.

I get that these judges are making a subjective decision ultimately, and maybe for those judges Splatoon was just what they preferred, but on every objective measure I can think of, Splatoon loses out to Rocket League. Splatoon is a breath of fresh air as a shooter, but Rocket League is a breath of fresh air full stop.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Well done Splatoon! The freshest take on a new genre in recent years!
#stayfresh

Best shooter, yeah, probably. Best multiplayer game? Surely not. It's a game with too many flaws. The map/mode rotation, the matchmaking which pairs UK players with Japanese players, the netcode which deals with really laggy players terribly, the low amount of content for a shooter... However fun Splatoon is (and I did enjoy playing it a great deal for a month or so), Rocket League deserves it more.

It's just as fresh as Splatoon, but it doesn't falter in the same ways. This is a game which at launch provided: Dedicated servers, PCPS4 cross play, private matches, level playing field ranked play, bots, online splitscreen and brilliant customisation options. They've added several free content updates (and are continuing to), and have also absolutely nailed the DLC.

I get that these judges are making a subjective decision ultimately, and maybe for those judges Splatoon was just what they preferred, but on every objective measure I can think of, Splatoon loses out to Rocket League. Splatoon is a breath of fresh air as a shooter, but Rocket League is a breath of fresh air full stop.

Maybe by 'best multiplayer' they meant 'most fun multiplayer gameplay' and weren't taking into account the features of the multiplayer

Because yeah splatoon is easily the worst on the list in terms of fully featured multiplayer, but in my opinion it has the best gameplay, even better than rocket league (Which i think has fantastic gameplay as well and is also very fresh)

phanphare

Banned

I think the reason for Splatoon winning over Rocket League is as simple as there's just a lot more to Splatoon in every aspect of the game.

sörine

Banned
Best MP I'm not too surprised about, but I wouldve never guessed it would win best shooter.
It gets overlooked a lot but Splatoon also has a really great mechanics focused single player campaign. It's pure gameplay too, reminds me a bit of the void levels from Mario Sunshine (which went on to inspire Galaxy). My only real complaint with it is that it's too short (5-6 hours) and I want more.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Still doesn't have voice chat though right? Hard for me to agree with a "multiplayer" award given to a game without voice chat in 2015.
This is the most bizarre thing I've ever read. Games are not somehow automatically better with voice chat. In fact voice chat often brings worse elements outweighing the better parts of it. Hence the greater occurrence of silence this gen online (outside of party chat, which is outside of the respective games)

Honestly that's what Nintendo needs to add. Party chat. Keep it out of the games absolutely. But give us an OS level chat with friends while we are playing.

Rodelero

Maybe by 'best multiplayer' they meant 'most fun multiplayer gameplay' and weren't taking into account the features of the multiplayer

Because yeah splatoon is easily the worst on the list in terms of fully featured multiplayer, but in my opinion it has the best gameplay, even better than rocket league (Which i think has fantastic gameplay as well and is also very fresh)

If the "Best Multiplayer" category can't take into account things as rudimentary as matchmaking and net code there is something desperately wrong with the category. They are extremely important.

phanphare said:
I think the reason for Splatoon winning over Rocket League is as simple as there's just a lot more to Splatoon in every aspect of the game.

Personally I think Rocket League is particularly laudable because it is a pure game with simple to understand mechanics that are extremely hard to master. It's the epitome of great competitive game design. It's a huge part of why it's been such a massive success: because it says NO to the bullshit that most competitive games have added since CoD4.

phanphare

Banned
Personally I think Rocket League is particularly laudable because it is a pure game with simple to understand mechanics that are extremely hard to master. It's the epitome of great competitive game design. It's a huge part of why it's been such a massive success: because it says NO to the bullshit that most competitive games have added since CoD4.

I agree. that's also a big reason why Splatoon is so successful. its concept is extremely simple to understand. shoot ink to cover turf. however the skill ceiling is ridiculously high and the gameplay mechanics are extremely deep yet elegant.

KodaRuss

It looks like a lot of fun. If I had a Wii U it would be one of the first few games I get.

Of what I played Rocket League would win for me.

spekkeh

Banned
I think Rocket League is a tonne of fun but too hard to learn. You get creamed very quickly and it takes a long time to get better. The learning curve in Splatoon is much better I thought.

Xbudz

Just got Splaoon last night. I really wish i could independently adjust the h/v sensitivity.
Fun so far though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The best community ever. :)

I agree actually, never really have anything to negative, the community is big on fanart which is always fun, even 3D model fanart, never really hear anything from elites downplaying anyone else, just people having fun man.

tanooki27

well deserved. the game's a brilliant illustration of the continuing passion and talent of EAD, or whatever it's called now

ironmang

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever read. Games are not somehow automatically better with voice chat. In fact voice chat often brings worse elements outweighing the better parts of it. Hence the greater occurrence of silence this gen online (outside of party chat, which is outside of the respective games)

Honestly that's what Nintendo needs to add. Party chat. Keep it out of the games absolutely. But give us an OS level chat with friends while we are playing.

Multiplayer games are definitely worse if you're not able to talk to your friends at the very least. Not having the option to talk to other players makes games seem lifeless.

Every game should handle voice chat like CSGO. Easy to mute players and there's even an option to turn off voice chat completely (voice_enable 0). Solves every problem and makes everybody happy. Options are good.

KevinCow

Banned
Multiplayer games are definitely worse if you're not able to talk to your friends at the very least. Not having the option to talk to other players makes games seem lifeless.

Every game should handle voice chat like CSGO. Easy to mute players and there's even an option to turn off voice chat completely (voice_enable 0). Solves every problem and makes everybody happy. Options are good.

"But you can mute people" isn't a very good defense. Having to stop playing in the middle of a match to figure out which user is being an annoying jackass so I can mute him isn't very fun.

ironmang

"But you can mute people" isn't a very good defense. Having to stop playing in the middle of a match to figure out which user is being an annoying jackass so I can mute him isn't very fun.

Why did you ignore the part where I said you could just mute everybody?

Even still, having a game where you bring up scoreboard, scroll, and click on a name to mute them is not anywhere close to "stop playing". Most games have the icon of the person speaking so it's easy to tell who is the problem. A few seconds every match is hardly a huge burden.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I agree actually, never really have anything to negative, the community is big on fanart which is always fun, even 3D model fanart, never really hear anything from elites downplaying anyone else, just people having fun man.

I LOVE the video of Splatoon + Team Fortress, MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, just jenial. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pax_wJ9f0lA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOeP1OBwVLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29fnKJHR24Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJV1uVecYqQ

It does not. One of the reasons being that the players communicating via voice chat would have a considerable advantage over those who do not. I'm an adult but I don't want to hear angry people/insults thrown around by strangers so I wouldn't want to use voice chat, and I wouldn't want my child to use it either.

The developers decided against adding voice chat because they wanted everyone to have the same chances. Even if every player in the game uses voice chat to communicate, who do you think would be more likely to win: thirty-somethings or ten-year-olds? Adults would be at a much greater advantage because they are able to better communicate strategies than children.

In Splatoon, it doesn't matter how old the player is, or whether they have an accent or whatever, it's accessible to everybody and everybody has the same tools.

You should be able to use voice chat with friends though since the developers' reasoning doesn't apply there.

While I haven't been able to play it myself I think it was very well deserved just based of its creativity and how it handles its updates. Looks like fun to play and wish I could play it. While I think halo 5 should of been best shooter, I'm happy splatoon won it.

Funny thing is that, as far as online goes, I don't even play it as a shooter. The Krak-On roller is by far my favorite weapon, nothing comes close, so I don't actually shoot.

I swear there must be a Splatoon version of every meme in existence at this point.

Anyway, can't wait to play this game next week after school is over.

Top Bottom