• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

The drip feeding for On Disc DLC was trash and artificially capping the online community for "reasons" until X amount of players reached X Level/Milestone was uncalled for.It was a fun game while I played it at my nephew's house buy I will never buy it because it's on a system I refuse to buy again.
The X amount of players thing was reached in like 3 days. I think a lot of people saw the lack of content at launch and ignored it afterwards despite new content coming out regularly for several weeks for free (we're still getting stuff like a new map yesterday)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I mean...okay. I'm glad you liked the game then.
This is my main issue with Nintendo right now.Fun games! But I can't be asked to buy the Wii U again since I gave qualms with the system.

The X amount of players thing was reached in like 3 days. I think a lot of people saw the lack of content at launch and ignored it afterwards despite new content coming out regularly for several weeks for free (we're still getting stuff like a new map yesterday)
maybe they shouldve had that content at launch then

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played splatoon yet other then the beta test play or whatever that was (I refuse to pay 60$ for a multiplayer only title, Nintendo refuses to drop there prices) but halo 5 might be the best multiplayer game I've ever played so either splatoon is GOAT (which I doubt based on my limited playtime) or halo got robbed.

It has a single player mode.

Ricitor

So happy with this choice. Still crank the game on abut once a week to play a few rounds and I don't believe I've done this with any other shooter ever.

I haven't played splatoon yet other then the beta test play or whatever that was (I refuse to pay 60$ for a multiplayer only title, Nintendo refuses to drop there prices) but halo 5 might be the best multiplayer game I've ever played so either splatoon is GOAT (which I doubt based on my limited playtime) or halo got robbed.

You know that it has a single player campaing, right?

Mesoian

Who knew a Nintendo shooter would have the most efficient server/matchmaking of 2015?
Still boggles my mind how smooth it is, especially after how Rainbow's alphas/betas went and how busted BF4 and MCC were out the gate - and obviously they've all had like a decade of experience and severwork.

It's so good, there are games where I can't tell if lag is happening or not.

It's crazy how well the game masks actual network problems.

Exile20

I mean...okay. I'm glad you liked the game then.

You might not like shooters.

And that's okay.

Splatoon has a single player campaign (With what will probably be the best final boss of the year)

That should have been a category. Splatoon would have won three awards.

Powerwing

From the moment it was announced to the moment it was realeased I was skeptical. Then I bought it and played it. And only then I understood. Such a good game.
The free post release content helped though.

nom

6jKPZTk.gif

I've played the game numerous times and couldn't find a sense of what they were looking at when voting. How seriously dynamic is the game? Tons of team modes? I'm not even a fan of Destiny, but I feel like that should've won with how upgrades and customization go into the game.

Guess I'm wrong

LMAO

myco666

I really need to buy Splatoon. Does it only use gyro for aiming? I know it is supposed to be better but was wondering if you can turn it of or not.

Mesoian

The only salt spilled should be over the fact that it wasn't even nominated for best art.

Eh...

Splatoon looks good.

Ori looks better.

I really need to buy Splatoon. Does it only use gyro for aiming? I know it is supposed to be better but was wondering if you can turn it of or not.

You can turn it off if you don't like it.

What you should learn how to do, though, is learn how to use both at the same time. Sticks are wide motions, gyro for fine motions.

Exile20

This is my main issue with Nintendo right now.Fun games! But I can't be asked to buy the Wii U again since I gave qualms with the system.

Isn't games the most important reason to own a system? Once they do games right then any other issues should be secondary.

Schnozberry

The drip feeding for On Disc DLC was trash and artificially capping the online community for "reasons" until X amount of players reached X Level/Milestone was uncalled for.It was a fun game while I played it at my nephew's house buy I will never buy it because it's on a system I refuse to buy again.

They've done a pretty good job with supplemental content releases and the level cap made sense at the time. It made for very competitive matches all the way up the level ladder. You're issues with Wii U also have nothing to do with the quality of the game. The Games Awards are meant to reward creativity and overall quality, of which Splatoon has plenty of both.

Giolon

You can turn it off, which I did at first, but it's true that if you can get used to it, you will be smoking players who don't use it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
As I said in another thread, that's a bit of a major upset, no? I can imagine the broforce dewritos crowd that tunes into these sorts of programs flipping their shit because a "Kiddy Nintendo Game" won in what they would consider "their" categories.

Ricitor

You can turn it off, but I actually found it to be a much better way to play. Takes about 10 minutes of getting used to but it is way more responsive than using the right stick for aiming.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I believe Splatoon is after Super Mario and Pokémon my favourite game ever... i love this game.

My favourite shooter ever, and i love a lot of shooter.

Azure J

I've been streaming this game for the last 5 months and making offhand comments about how it is my GoTY that will win no GoTY style awards.

I am thoroughly happy to have my expectations shattered. :D

OneUh8

I don't have a Wii U nor have I played Splatoon. But is it really a better shooter than Halo or Destiny? From the outside it does not appeal to me at all. Personally Halo would have been my vote and I played all those games other than Splatoon! I guess it is really that good.

Astral Dog

Thwre was a new map Yesterday? o_O

lt519

You could of had it for $25-30 last week and it has a pretty fleshed out single player. Just as much content if not more than most shooters single players, maybe with the exception of a Halo campaign (haven't seen or heard of Halo 5's campaign). You should probably inform yourself more before getting all salty your favorite game didn't win an award.

But Splatoon community on here is almost as bad as the FROM software community in regards to throwing around their love for the game in every thread possible and then rubbing the success in peoples faces. Tiresome.

Weekly updates make the game interesting to follow and make you interested to be invested in it.
didnt work

though at this point its hard for me to be sure what to blame it on. The lack of content, or the content rotation

I just hope splatoon 2 gets rid of the content rotation, adds the game modes in as selectable ranked or not, and lets me fucking change weapons between games without backing out

I thought this was great until Rocker League won "best sports racing game" these awards are meaningless and a joke. Splatoon is fantastic but there are no meaningful awards in video games.

I don't have a Wii U nor have I played Splatoon. But is it really a better shooter than Halo or Destiny? From the outside it does not appeal to me at all. Personally Halo would have been my vote and I played all those games other than Splatoon! I guess it is really that good.

Serious question: what makes Splatoon unappealing to you?

Percy

Banned
Yeah, it was fantastic to see this happen. When I looked at my Twitter this morning and saw the angry MS fans still smarting over it my breakfast somehow tasted just that little bit sweeter :)

Congrats to Ninty on nailing this kind of game on (pretty much) their first try.

Mesoian

Real talk, you should play Splatoon

phanphare

Banned
it warms my heart that Splatoon is getting some of the recognition it deserves

freshest game in ages with deep and satisfying mechanics all while taking an established genre and injecting some much needed innovation into it. get comfortable with Splatoon and then try and play a game with analog-only camera controls. it's gotten to the point where watching gameplay of a game with analog-only camera controls annoys the hell out of me. so stiff, so jarring.

stay fresh yall

Astral Dog

It has a lot of cool, new mechanics and a fresh artstyle, huge variety of weapons with some customization going on, its a fun, different take on the genre that was needed, with the usual Nintendo polish.

The major flaw for me is the Gamepad, its still kinda uncomfortable to use and the battery dies shortly, i would had liked a Pro Controller option

Top Bottom