• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

I can live with Splatoon in the shooter category. It's fresh and it's some good fun.

But man, Black Ops 3 was robbed in the multiplayer category. No mp-shooter in the history of gaming is so well executed, so complete out the door. From the whole eSport-functionalities to the casual-modes, the incredible amount of content, the balance. Every single piece of this game was thought through and executed properly. If you are a tryhard or a casual gamer, an unlock hunter or just playing the same gun over and over, this game has everything - top-shelf stuff. And then there is gunsmith/paintshop, zombies, the campagn build around coop and replayability etc...

Again, Splatoon is fresh and new and is a great piece of software. But if you think of multiplayer as the whole fucking concept with each and every part of it in mind, Black Ops 3 should have won by a mile. The award category was not original design.

But those eSport categories proved that the Game Awards are years away of making meaningful decision about multiplayer games. Sad.

ViciousDS

Banned
didnt work

though at this point its hard for me to be sure what to blame it on. The lack of content, or the content rotation

I just hope splatoon 2 gets rid of the content rotation, adds the game modes in as selectable ranked or not, and lets me fucking change weapons between games without backing out

I've only had the game since black friday and am level 6. But I love the dual rotating maps.....makes thing interesting.

Regiruler

I thought this was great until Rocker League won "best sports racing game" these awards are meaningless and a joke. Splatoon is fantastic but there are no meaningful awards in video games.

It's a sports game, so it fits the category regardless of whether it's considered a racing game.
The one thats hotel like? Ithought that was out since the last Direct.

No, they just showed the resort. Only museum came right after.

Mesoian

I've only had the game since black friday and am level 6. But I love the dual rotating maps.....makes thing interesting.

They just need a wider rotation. 3 would be fine.

I can live with Splatoon in the shooter category. It's fresh and it's some good fun.

But man, Black Ops 3 was robbed in the multiplayer category. No mp-shooter in the history of gaming is so well executed, so complete out the door. From the whole eSport-functionalities to the casual-modes, the incredible amount of content, the balance. Every single piece of this game was thought through and executed properly.

Again, Splatoon is fresh and new and is a great piece of software. But if you think of multiplayer as the whole fucking concept with each and every part of it in mind, Black Ops 3 should have won by a mile.

But those eSport categories proved that the Game Awards are years away of making meaningful decision about multiplayer games. Sad.

Yo, Titanfall banging on your door.

Backlogger

I think Rocket League should have won for best multiplayer game and that Rocket League should not have won best racing game.

Splatoon is fun but I don't own a Wii U so I haven't had as much play time on it as I have had on Rocket League so maybe my opinion is skewed.

Splatoon has many things going for it but I have never played a multiplayer game with such amazing traversal. You can just about climb up anything, it never gets old.

I get home from work at 6PM EST, I go to bed at 10PM EST. this sits in exactly the middle of a rotation. If I play splatoon I am guaranteed to only see 2 maps in turf war for the duration of my playtime. its incredibly unfun after 30 minutes

I don't have a Wii U nor have I played Splatoon. But is it really a better shooter than Halo or Destiny? From the outside it does not appeal to me at all. Personally Halo would have been my vote and I played all those games other than Splatoon! I guess it is really that good.
Its a great game with really unique gameplay, the only thing hampering it is bizarre decisions with the setup

jmizzal

If Nintendo would institute a 3 map rotation instead of a two, it would be perfect.

That is my only issue with Splatoon the map rotation thing, I still havent played the new map from a few weeks ago since its never in the rotation when i'm on the game.

Just make it random like ever other multiplayer game

ViciousDS

Banned
They just need a wider rotation. 3 would be fine.

agreed......just 1 more map would work fine. Having to back out to swap weapons though is the only thing I truly hate atm.....but its funny because of how many GAF players that are normally on......people are constantly rotating in and out of a full 8 man GAF lobby due to the system allowing other folks to get in on the action for a period before switching.....somehow it just fucking works lol

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I've played all the games listed and I personally disagree about Splatoon winning best multiplayer (I think that reward goes to Halo 5 for bringing back the fun to Halo while moving the gameplay forward), but Splatoon did indeed innovate in a very stale genre (on top of it being a good game), so I can see the nod going there.

Mesoian

That is my only issue with Splatoon the map rotation thing, I still havent played the new map from a few weeks ago since its never in the rotation when i'm on the game.

Just make it random like ever other multiplayer game

Yup, same. It bugs me. I'm tired of ranked Depo.

Zalman

I don't have a Wii U nor have I played Splatoon. But is it really a better shooter than Halo or Destiny? From the outside it does not appeal to me at all. Personally Halo would have been my vote and I played all those games other than Splatoon! I guess it is really that good.
It's personal preference, of course. It's a very different kind of shooter, which means it's a tough comparison to make, but that's why I like it. That's also why I like Portal. The shooter genre is the most overdone one out there, and it is always refreshing to see something creative and innovative. I think Splatoon deserves it solely for that reason. There's nothing like it on the market.

I think it's cool to think about the fact that run, reload and crouch are all on the same button. It's little things like that I just can't help but love.

But man, Black Ops 3 was robbed in the multiplayer category. No mp-shooter in the history of gaming is so well executed, so complete out the door. From the whole eSport-functionalities to the casual-modes, the incredible amount of content, the balance. Every single piece of this game was thought through and executed properly. If you are a tryhard or a casual gamer, an unlock hunter or just playing the same gun over and over, this game has everything - top-shelf stuff.

Again, Splatoon is fresh and new and is a great piece of software. But if you think of multiplayer as the whole fucking concept with each and every part of it in mind, Black Ops 3 should have won by a mile.

I can understand that, but splatoons fresh gameplay makes up for its lackings in other multiplayer aspects in my opinion. Which is greatly need in a genre like the shooter. It's just so much different than other shooters and turns the concept of shooter on its head in a very Nintendo way

Nokterian

Don't have a Wii U and to be honest Blops 3 has taken my time away more than any other shooter this year it feels just right and fun to play.

phanphare

Banned
I get home from work at 6PM EST, I go to bed at 10PM EST. this sits in exactly the middle of a rotation. If I play splatoon I am guaranteed to only see 2 maps in turf war for the duration of my playtime. its incredibly unfun after 30 minutes

EST here, you get 2 rotations now

it goes 5pm - 9pm and then 9pm - 12am

Azure J

it warms my heart that Splatoon is getting some of the recognition it deserves

freshest game in ages with deep and satisfying mechanics all while taking an established genre and injecting some much needed innovation into it. get comfortable with Splatoon and then try and play a game with analog-only camera controls. it's gotten to the point where watching gameplay of a game with analog-only camera controls annoys the hell out of me. so stiff, so jarring.

stay fresh yall

I almost can't imagine playing shooters solely with dual stick now. The funniest thing is one of the best players of this game on this site uses dual stick and is a beast. :lol

The game is good guys.

Mesoian

Don't have a Wii U and to be honest Blops 3 has taken my time away more than any other shooter this year it feels just right and fun to play.

The amount of "haven't played Splatoon but I believe some-other-game is better" in this thread is shocking.

I almost can't imagine playing shooters solely with dual stick now. The funniest thing is one of the best players of this game on this site uses dual stick and is a beast. :lol

The game is good guys.

I want gyro controls as an option for every game now. I got really excited when I found out that the steam controller offered gyro for all games through profiles, but was bummed when I heard that the gyros in them aren't very good.

Yo, Titanfall banging on your door.

I am a Gen10 in Titanfall and have every hope (and confidence in those devs) that Titanfall 2 will destroy the competition next year. But my statement stands, especially because balance and unlockable content in Titanfall is below top-notch.

And i said out of the door. Titanfall got quiet some updates which made it even better, but Black Ops 3 Vanilla is superior quality-wise than Titanfall Vanilla.

Yogg

I don't understand how Mario Maker was nominated for GOTY instead of Splatoon, especially given these awards. It wouldn't have won, but it deserved to be there.

AdanVC

Nintendo beating other shooter games that are well stablished on the genre like a boss! Those who "laugh" at Splatoon winning this awards should give it a chance... I was skeptic about Splatoon as well but once I played the beta I got instantly hooked and now is my most played game on Wii U... probably more than MK8 and Smash combined! It's just that freaking good and addictive guys!

And I haven't even touched the single player campaign!1 There's just so much stuff to do in Splatoon online that I haven't bothered with the SP.

Malus

My GOTG so far. So fun and so innovative, with its presentation perfectly matched to the gameplay.

Though I haven't played the other big shooters :p

I don't understand how Mario Maker was nominated for GOTY instead of Splatoon, especially given these awards. It wouldn't have won, but it deserved to be there.
I really like Mario Maker but Splatoon is Nintendo's flagship game of 2015. X doesn't count, it's too big.

thefro

I haven't played all the other nominated games, but in my opinion Splatoon's the best game Nintendo EAD (guess it's EPD now) have made since Mario Galaxy.

Exile20

I can understand that, buy splatoons fresh gameplay makes up for its lackings in other multiplayer aspects in my opinion. Which is greatly need in a genre like the shooter. It's just so much different than other shooters and turnsthe concept of shooter on its head in a very Nintendo way

Biggest change in shooters in a looooong time.

phanphare

Banned

The game is good guys.

yeah I was actually playing through Dead Space again for Halloween and couldn't make it more than 1 hour in because of the camera controls

Nintendo needs to hold onto gyro-assisted aim for dear life. bring it to their next platform that is hopefully successful so it can bless the entire industry. it's the next step forward, it just needs more exposure.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I was interested in playing this game, but I always feared that it would get boring fast. Is it as replayable as Mario Kart or Smash Bros?

What about playing with my girlfriend? Are we stuck in 1vs1 mode or vs CPUs, or can we play online together? I think I heard it's 1vs1 only, but that looks like it will get boring fast. The game seems more fun while playing with more people.

doop_

Banned
You could of had it for $25-30 last week and it has a pretty fleshed out single player. Just as much content if not more than most shooters single players, maybe with the exception of a Halo campaign (haven't seen or heard of Halo 5's campaign). You should probably inform yourself more before getting all salty your favorite game didn't win an award.

But Splatoon community on here is almost as bad as the FROM software community in regards to throwing around their love for the game in every thread possible and then rubbing the success in peoples faces. Tiresome.
Lolwut.

I loved it when I tried the demo. Such a fresh concept, great graphics and smooth gameplay. Gyro controls work great after a few minutes of adjusting. Deserved!!

Thing is I made peace with myself that I will not get MP games, no time for them to git gud. All about SP for me now and if I get the itch I just play some CS GO or Black Ops 2.

Bought it for 25 bucks on Black Friday. After putting a good amount of hours into Multi I almost feel guilty for paying that much. Its so good and addictive. I was impressed with how fast it is to get into games and out to buy gear. Obviously the downside is Nintendo's friend system but I've just gotten use to poppin into a server and playing with randoms.

Top Bottom